Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #16  

There is always one common denominator between skinny and overweight women. They all worry about how others are going to look at them like. Women--who are worried about cellulite on their thighs--that unsightly mole on their neck--their arms are too fat--their legs are too skinny--their butts are too wide--whatever. Everyone is self-conscience about something on their body or the shape of their body, and no one is perfect. But they exercise anyway--because they are trying to improve themselves along with their health.

And we all only have 3 choices in life: Give up, Give in, or Give it all you've got.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-22-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My enjoyable exercise has changed over time. At higher weights, I like walking outside, somewhere scenic. I liked weight lifting back when my knees weren't so bad. I still do some arm stuff, but I always liked the leg stuff better. As I got smaller, I was shocked to discover that I LIKED running! I never thought I would, but it was so empowering. Once I got up the courage to go to spin class, I found I really liked that too. The best part of spin, is that you control your resistance. So if you need a break, you can just turn it down and no one knows. Definitely my favorite group fitness option.

I'm too heavy to run right now, and I find the spin bike seats a little extra uncomfortable at this weight (even with a seat cushion). My plan is to resume spin class in the 270s and resume running in the 240s. For now, I'm toughing out the less fun exercise to build up my fitness and get down to a weight where I can do those things again.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #18  

Get a dog! It will reward you if you take it for a walk and bug you if you don't.
KayMaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Not everyone likes to exercise, but you just have to be a grown up and do it. I can remember feeling like I hated exercise but what I really hated was getting out of my comfort zone, sweating, not being able to meet challenges, etc. Once you get used to how exercise feels it starts to feel good, then you start to see results and then you notice that you can push yourself further which is hugely satisfying. I would be too embarrassed to say "I hate exercise" because it sounds like an immature cop-out. It's like brushing your teeth or eating your spinach, do it because it's good for you and worry about the "liking it" part later. When I meet people who claim to hate exercise all I can think is "yeah, you look it." Can't help it.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #20  
Feeling empowered!

S/C/G: 224/205/175

Height: 5'11"

I never really hated exercising, but I got bored so easily so I really did not enjoy cardio. However, I signed up for a color run and decided to do the Couch to 5k. After about three weeks of the program, I became addicted. While running, I still have serious temptations to just stop, but I never do. I still enjoy fun classes like TurboKick or Zumba a lot more than running, but I like running because I can see everyday if I'm improving. I'm a very competitive person so I love trying to beat myself every time. You just have to find something that works for you and stick to it. It might suck at first, but after a while, you won't be able to give it up!
Heche27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott
Most people hate exercising (at first)--and once they become accustomed to it--they won't stop--because they feel so much stronger physically and mentally. They're happy and they don't want to give that up. Everything improves including their self esteem.

We learn to wear our sweat as a badge of honor. I would suggest that you read an existing thread on this board under exercise--titled: "Do you workout because" In that thread you will find all you need to know as to why others--regardless of weight--or concerns about what they would look like to others got off of the couch and started exercising.

IMAGE#1

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
dory34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I think you should invest in a good (more professional) swimsuit. They slim you/ make you feel all tucked in! That's what I use. I am also very self-conscious being in a swimsuit but you can overcome that hurdle really fast. Most of the time you are in the water anyway. I go swimming now quite frequently and don't worry about people looking at me.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #23  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

I have experience.

I hated exercising when I first started and hated sweating. Yes, I still feel self-conscious and avoid running on roads, but I still run in front of people on the athletic track I use. You know what? I believe that if you are putting in a genuine effort to exercise, people will actually look upon you positively, that you want to change who you are.

I know how hard it is to look into the future and picture what you will look like and to forget what people will think while you are working towards your goal, just remember that it will get easier as you slim down and feel comfortable about yourself. You are doing it for you, not for them.

As for the fitness side of things, it's a matter of pushing past your comfort zone and those barriers that got you to where you are in the first place. It is hard and you will feel the burn. I did 2x 6 kilometres (almost 4 miles) this week and my muscles are sore, but you know what, I wouldn't change that because I know I am better off. When I first started in January, I couldn't fast walk 100 metres, but I got out there and did it. My muscles have grown stronger, my weight has dropped and my body, skin, longevity are better than what they were.

Consider exercising comfortably as your first barrier and wanting to exercise as your second.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heche27 View Post
I never really hated exercising, but I got bored so easily so I really did not enjoy cardio. However, I signed up for a color run and decided to do the Couch to 5k. After about three weeks of the program, I became addicted. While running, I still have serious temptations to just stop, but I never do. I still enjoy fun classes like TurboKick or Zumba a lot more than running, but I like running because I can see everyday if I'm improving. I'm a very competitive person so I love trying to beat myself every time. You just have to find something that works for you and stick to it. It might suck at first, but after a while, you won't be able to give it up!
Yes, boredom is another reason why people won't exercise. That's why classes are great--that one hour goes by very quickly--versus 1 hour on a treadmill that seemed like it took the whole day up for me anyway--lol. I know there are many that can work out with machines and just love it.

I agree that it's very important to find an exercise that one likes to do--sports--dance--Jazzercise--Zumba, running-walking--etc. and that's what keeps them doing it.

Last edited by Kscott; 09-18-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I used to hate it too and I went to any lengths to avoid it. But this time around I've come to realise I was doing the wrong exercise for me. Before I was only walking. I hate walking. It's like enforced torture and unless I have some reason to walk there it's monotonous for me. But if I put a cd on and hop on my exercise bike, the swap to the step, then skip, the time flies in no time and I actually find myself enjoying it.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 231/187.4/119

I was in the same boat as you for a long time. Then I read some advice that completely changed my mindset... Don't think of it as exercise, think of it as a bit of relaxing 'you time'. Sounds crazy, I know! But that's where I started. With short, non strenuous walks. 15 mins, 20 mins, whàtever. Don't put pressure on yourself, enjoy the scenery, look in shop windows and clear your head. Make it a priority to get into that headspace often. Don't worry about huffing and puffing, or sweating, just go! And after a while, you'll want to go. And you'll be that bit fitter so you might go for a bit longer, or faster, but no pressure. That's where I started. And I never thought I'd say this, but my body and spirit started craving the exercise, and I enjoyed it and started pushing it. Now I can easily walk 2 hours at a decent pace. I joined a gym, and can do an hour on the cross trainer, going pretty hard. It's taken a while, but it's real progress and I still don't pressure myself. If I struggle for motivation, I just go back to the idea that I just go out for a relaxing stroll. And if that's all I do for the day, yay! Oh, and weights at the gym is another motivator - it's easy to see your progress by the weights you can lift. Just remember,try not to compare the start of your journey to the middle of someone else's. Good luck
Lyndality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 240/235/145

A couple of things have been working for me (as in, I'm more positive about it than before and more regular): I sprung on a decent home treadmill. I already had an ellipical, and I remembered how burned out I'd get at the gym doing just that, so I'd switch to the treadmill there. Having both at home gives me ZERO excuses. Aside from that, something (I think) Mazzy said hit home: rethink how you see working out. Think of it as a REWARD for your body, as a gift to yourself. I've been changing my thoughts about it...every time I think "I have to work out to lose weight" and feel that loathing settling in, that predictable rebellion, I say instead "I want to work out to give my body a gift." As she said, it's becoming more of a reward for my body to work out that emotional/physical stress it's been holding onto, and I just use that time to talk to myself, to tell it (this might sound a little fruity, but it works) that I love it, that it's beautiful and thank it for carrying me all my life. I tell my body it's ok to let go of that stress. So far so good!

Another thing mid workout I tell myself is that my body is capable of handling more than my mind tells it it can. My body is strong. Annnyway, those are little Jedi Mind Tricks I've been employing lately. Hope it helps!
SkinnyBee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #28  
Hi, I'm Danielle!

S/C/G: 208/Ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Ugh, I totally feel you on this subject here.. I HATE it, too. And I don't care how that makes me sound - I just would WAY rather sit on the couch and watch some TV.

But reading some motivation speakers on here has made me feel like I can DEFINITELY get back into it.
Plus, I can always watch TV while I walk my treadmill.

I think it also helps that I have two dogs that LOVE going for walks - and I have always been taking them for walks, but it's always been so randomly. NOW I am planning on doing it daily. I have done it for the last 2 days straight, which I know isn't a ton, but for me it's a big step.
Savemykissesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #29  
Summer 2014 goal 150 lbs

S/C/G: 256/250.5/150

Height: 5'2

I hated exercising too... I was a couch and computer potato.. always playing video games... Every summer i was depressed.. I am only 23 years and and I weigh 251 lbs now.. at 18 i weighed 145 and i thought i was fat then!!! I wish i could go back in time and made sure i exercised and watched what I ate.. but I cant... now im off the video games.. im counting calories, dieting, and walking and let me tell you it makes me feel so much better!!

You just have to do it.. trust me you will hate it, but it gets easier!!! Make it fun, find fun music that you like listen to it, and just walk... dont fret about how you look now, because just think in a year you will be beautiful and MORE confident!!!

I set a goal for myself, by next summer I would love to have lost 100 lbs... i already lost 5lbs... just a few weeks ago I was the highest i have ever been at 256 lbs.. i was ashamed.. and I realized I cant do this anymore to my body... I need to take action now... thats what you have to do!! You are the only one that can make a difference!!

Good luck!!!
MizzJessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzJessica View Post
I hated exercising too... I was a couch and computer potato.. always playing video games... Every summer i was depressed.. I am only 23 years and and I weigh 251 lbs now.. at 18 i weighed 145 and i thought i was fat then!!! I wish i could go back in time and made sure i exercised and watched what I ate.. but I cant... now im off the video games.. im counting calories, dieting, and walking and let me tell you it makes me feel so much better!!

You just have to do it.. trust me you will hate it, but it gets easier!!! Make it fun, find fun music that you like listen to it, and just walk... dont fret about how you look now, because just think in a year you will be beautiful and MORE confident!!!

I set a goal for myself, by next summer I would love to have lost 100 lbs... i already lost 5lbs... just a few weeks ago I was the highest i have ever been at 256 lbs.. i was ashamed.. and I realized I cant do this anymore to my body... I need to take action now... thats what you have to do!! You are the only one that can make a difference!!

Good luck!!!
Good for you for realizing this at 23 years old. It's a lot easier to make a life-style change when you're young. You have a higher metabolism--and everything is working properly. Keep a good attitude and stick with the program and you'll reach your goals--and then stay there.

Last edited by Kscott; 09-24-2013 at 12:34 AM.