Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #1  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

Default I hate exercising

Does anyone else feel pressure to love exercise, but really would just rather spend the time doing something else? I have been trying to walk three-miles everyday (which has been fairly successful), but sort of hate it. I am scared to try anything more rigorous for fear that I will want to quit and give up!
skinnycow126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

I was the same way until I discovered Zumba and I've been hooked ever since! Do you belong to a gym? Try out different classes until you find one you really like =D
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #3  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

I do belong to a gym. My sister does Zumba, so perhaps I will try it with her. My problem is that I get bored so easily.
skinnycow126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/145/130

Height: 5'1"

Another thing is, the gym is good for stress and its a good anxiety release. Focus your workout on something thats bothering you. You wont even realize your working out.
PeanutM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

One of the nice things about exercise is that there are lots of different options. We belong to the Y which is not very expensive but has recumbent bike, spinning, treadmills, pool, elliptical and many, many different classes for cardio.

Then I do weights and there are machines and free weights and I've been working with a trainer once a week and every week the workout is different. Walking is fine but I would get bored doing it everyday also as I like variety.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #6  

Zumba is great fun!! The one class I could fit into my schedule has been put on hold though so now I'm finding online clips and doing that. I may buy the dvds or Zumba Wii it's not the same as a live class though.

I also get hugely bored here are some things I've done. Audio books during walks. Fitness vids at home. I have a ton and do them off and on. Lately, I've been watching tv programs on demand or with hulu and doing an interval walk/jog in place in front of the tv/computer (march for 5 min. to warm up, jog for 2-3, march for 1, jog for 2 etc.) with strength training (push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges) during commercial breaks. All this in front of Glee, Gray's Anatomy or whatever.

Last edited by Nicmom24; 11-30-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Nicmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

I have a broken ankle and can't exercise. Any suggestions?
dosbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #8  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I've posted basically this same thing...so for those of you who have read it, sorry for sounding like a broken record, haha.

I despise exercising just for the sake of exercising. It's not that I dislike movement or activity, I'm not *that* lazy. I just don't like going to the gym and cranking out 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the stairmaster, etc etc. It's physically uncomfortable, it's boring, there are a zillion things I'd rather be doing, etc. I tried exercise in many forms. With some friends, alone, outside, in my home with DVD's, at the gym, classes at the gym (Zumba, body pump, and a few others). Just flat out hate it.

I do insist that I get 60 minutes of "activity" per day. It has become my habit, and I actually have come to enjoy it, to go on a 15 minute walk the moment I get up while my coffee is brewing. Then throughout the day I'll either go on a few more walks or do something else that's legitimately active. Vigorously cleaning (as in vacuuming or something...not just standing at the sink to do dishes) can count towards my 60 minutes. 15 minute trip to Walmart might count. Walking around the mall might count. I don't "log" any of this activity (I'm a calorie counter), but I do make sure I do it.

My favorite form of exercising is going to the mall (avoiding the food court, of course, hehe). I love window shopping, I love people watching, I even love trying on clothes with no intention of buying them. It's not hard for me to spend 2 or 3 hours making a few laps around the mall. It won't spike my heart rate or anything, but that's a couple hours that I'm up and moving and not sitting at home watching TV and wanting a snack, hehe.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #9  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnycow126 View Post
Does anyone else feel pressure to love exercise, but really would just rather spend the time doing something else? I have been trying to walk three-miles everyday (which has been fairly successful), but sort of hate it. I am scared to try anything more rigorous for fear that I will want to quit and give up!
Hey, I love to exercise. Perhaps you can mix it up and try different forms of exercise. If you join a gym you can try the epiliptical, stationary bike, treadmill, stairclimber, or any of the aerobic classes they offer. Swimming is also a low impact exercise that I find fun. Sometimes you don't even know you are exercising when you swim. Just start slow, and when you feel up to it, you can move on.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbabe View Post
I have a broken ankle and can't exercise. Any suggestions?
I broke my ankle a couple of years ago so I know what it is like. Once I got my cast off they did send me to physical therapy so that was quite a bit of exercise right there.

If you still have a cast one you might be able to do some upper body work with light weights perhaps. I didn't while I had my cast on but possibly you could.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #11  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I get really bored too.

What I do is, we have "Exercise TV" on our digital cable, they have different 10 min work outs. I try to do 3 of those a day. That way there's a different variety. I also do a lot of Dance work outs, those are definitely more fun.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I find certain exercises to be more fun than others. I really wanted to love cycle class since most people seem to burn so many calories doing it, but it's so boring! I hate being in one place, doing the same motion for the entire hour. Kickboxing and mixed martial arts classes are so much more fun to me because I get to move around and do a variety of different movements. I think something like Zumba might be the same way.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to find something that works for you or that you enjoy doing. That makes it a whole lot easier.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote