Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Default Playlist ideas

Hello folks!! Sorry if this isn't the right section for this...there's a few that it may fall under lol!

So I want to start doing more exercise than what I'm doing. Right now I walk my dogs for about 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, and I use an elliptical machine 1-2 times a week for 30 minutes also. I'm going to invest in a few of the smaller weights so I can do more arm exercises at home, and a fitbit for when I'm walking.

My issue is that I like to have upbeat music to listen to while doing this...something to time my movements to. Some of the top 40 stuff today is okay, but a lot of it is just not to my tastes, and I'm longing for a playlist that has a good mix of 80's-current music, stuff that ages well and doesn't feel overplayed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any songs that you think have a good beat to them that you find yourself listening to, and actually wanting to work out to (if that makes sense lol!)?

Thanks!!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Do you use pandora? it might help you find songs that you like according to genres and artists.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Ballerina View Post
Do you use pandora? it might help you find songs that you like according to genres and artists.
I haven't really used it too much, to be honest, but I can give it a try =) I had used it waaaaayyyy back, and the matchmaking system with the genres/styles of music was not very good at that time lol! I'm sure it's improved by now, though
Old 06-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #4  

I love :One in a Million by Luc Busson (from the Miss Congenality soundtrack)
No easy way out -- Rocky IV.
Gonna Fly Now - Rocky II
Please don't let me be misunderstood -- Santa Esmerelda -- Kill Bill Sound track.
Mysterious Ways -The bourne Legacy-- the main theme is pretty good too.
The theme from Inception.

Yeh these are all soundtracks but they get me moving.
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #5  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

The current music is not to my tastes either, although I go even further back than the 80's (I suspect I'm a bit older than you). I posted a thread with some of my favorites. There are a few '80's songs on my list, so you can check out the thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-...-50-crowd.html

Another good way to get suggestions is to go to iTunes and search for "80's Gold" or "Greatest Hits of the 80's", which will bring up a bunch of Best of the 80's type albums, and you can preview the songs on the albums...or in many cases, you will be able to recognize the songs by name.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
you will be able to recognize the songs by name.
Oh her list reminded me of another one...

Solitaire by Laura Branagan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAV3o5nssm8

It starts slow but picks up... I love it on the eliptical.
Emma4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #7  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

GirlTalk has a album that you can download for free online. It is some sampling-style music using 2000's music mixed with old school rap and 80's-90's music. The whole album is made to flow smoothly without any pause and is really fun to train too
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/160/150

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post

My issue is that I like to have upbeat music to listen to while doing this...something to time my movements to. Some of the top 40 stuff today is okay, but a lot of it is just not to my tastes, and I'm longing for a playlist that has a good mix of 80's-current music, stuff that ages well and doesn't feel overplayed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any songs that you think have a good beat to them that you find yourself listening to, and actually wanting to work out to (if that makes sense lol!)?

Thanks!!!
This is a great topic... I'm going to watch for suggestions to download myself. When I download a new mix and I really want to listen to it, it's so great because I end up exercising so effortlessly. I forget I'm even trying to.

If you're looking for 80s stuff, what I've done in the past is just searched youtube for things like "dance", "top 10", "happy upbeat", or "workout" plus whatever decade you're searching ("80s workout").
Then I forward through it and jot down the songs I like to download.
ddovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #9  

Hey all!! Some awesome suggestions so far =D Keep em' coming!

I found a few songs that have hit a "lets get up an exercise/dance/move" nerve, figured I'd share They are a bit newer, not quite the 80's I was originally in the mood for, but yay for multiple playlists!!
  • My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light It Up)-Fallout Boy...this song makes me want to lift weights lol!! Not sure why, just kinda gets me pumped
  • Locked out of Heaven-Bruno Mars
  • Americano-Lady Gaga
  • Troublemaker-Olly Murs
  • Feel this Moment-Pitbull Ft. Christina Aguilera
  • Paralyzer-Finger Eleven
  • Blow Me (One Last Kiss)-Pink

Enjoy!!

PS Okay I did download Burning in the Third Degree by Tahnee Cain & Trianglz from the Terminator Soundtrack....cause it's a fun song and I just watched the movie lol!!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/145/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
Hey all!! Some awesome suggestions so far =D Keep em' coming!

I found a few songs that have hit a "lets get up an exercise/dance/move" nerve, figured I'd share They are a bit newer, not quite the 80's I was originally in the mood for, but yay for multiple playlists!!
  • My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light It Up)-Fallout Boy...this song makes me want to lift weights lol!! Not sure why, just kinda gets me pumped
  • Locked out of Heaven-Bruno Mars
  • Americano-Lady Gaga
  • Troublemaker-Olly Murs
  • Feel this Moment-Pitbull Ft. Christina Aguilera
  • Paralyzer-Finger Eleven
  • Blow Me (One Last Kiss)-Pink

Enjoy!!

PS Okay I did download Burning in the Third Degree by Tahnee Cain & Trianglz from the Terminator Soundtrack....cause it's a fun song and I just watched the movie lol!!
Based on the songs that you liked above:

Fallout boy - "the take over, the break's over"
Pitbull - "echa pa'lla"
Childish gambino - "heartbeat"
Capital cities - "safe and sound"
C2C - "the beat","delta","happy","down the road"
Two door cinema club - "something good can work (rac remix)"
Royksopp - "the girl and the robot"

Let me know if this is the kinda mix you like; I will send more if so. I do a little part time dj-ing so I am usually pretty good at creating mixes other people will like.
BrittBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #11  

One of the best 80s songs that I like to work out to
is Devo - Whip It
and Berlin - No More Words

I swear I was born in the wrong time! 80s music practically screams GET OUT AND PLAY
So energetic!
Ijustcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma4545 View Post
I love :One in a Million by Luc Busson (from the Miss Congenality soundtrack)
No easy way out -- Rocky IV.
Gonna Fly Now - Rocky II
Please don't let me be misunderstood -- Santa Esmerelda -- Kill Bill Sound track.
Mysterious Ways -The bourne Legacy-- the main theme is pretty good too.
The theme from Inception.

Yeh these are all soundtracks but they get me moving.

I love soundtracks too =D I just watched Miss congeniality and remembered that song, and realize it does make a great workout song

Quote:
Based on the songs that you liked above:

Fallout boy - "the take over, the break's over"
Pitbull - "echa pa'lla"
Childish gambino - "heartbeat"
Capital cities - "safe and sound"
C2C - "the beat","delta","happy","down the road"
Two door cinema club - "something good can work (rac remix)"
Royksopp - "the girl and the robot"

Let me know if this is the kinda mix you like; I will send more if so. I do a little part time dj-ing so I am usually pretty good at creating mixes other people will like.
These are good =) I like some hip-hop, but I tend to lean more towards rock/top 40/alternative. I can enjoy most music as long as it's not the really screamy metal or banjo country....everything in between, though, is fine for me. I like up-tempo music with a beat that gets me in the mood to get up and dance lol!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I think there are several great English Beat songs to work out to. Save It For Later is my fave. Life During Wartime and Take Me To The River by Talking Heads.

My favorite pandora station these days is Cranberries and I bet you'd find some good upbeat 80s that way.

A little later -- Whitney Houston It's Not Right But It's Okay is great for working out; Ms Jackson by Outcast; Party and Sh*t On The Radio by Nelly Furtado.

And my fave more recent are Pumped Up Kicks and Taboo by Don Omar and Handlebars by Flobots; Too Close by Alex Clare.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #14  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

We just had a workout songs competition on the 20-somethings forum. Here's a link to some of the top picks, I found some new songs that I added to my ipod, maybe you will too

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...kout-song.html

While working out I also love listening to Pitbull, Flo Rida, Niki Minaj (esp Starships), Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Far East Movement (Rocketeer), Red Hot Chili Peppers (esp the song Higher Ground), Foo Fighters (the song Everlong) and Justice (D.A.N.C.E.). HTH!

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 06-11-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250+/155/145ish

Height: 5'5"

I like Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant and Head Over Heels by the Go Gos. They are my running songs. I like Pandora too. Its nice for discovering new songs.
ellezony is offline   Reply With Quote