Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Default I just want CARDIO!!!

So I'm finding myself lazy these days, and I always do a circuit training video (usually Jillian Michaels) that involves weights on alternating days that I don't run on the treadmill.

But ugh. I just all of a sudden don't want to lift. I guess maybe I prefer cardio? I kind of force myself to do the Jillian stuff to look better naked, more toned. I do think my arms look great because of all the stuff I've done.

Maybe I'm tired, and don't like the cardio intervals that she mixes in with the weight lifting. It kills me.

Today I jumped on the elliptical, when I did the treadmill yesterday. So two days in a row of cardio. Maybe I need a break. Anyone take a break from lifting for a few weeks? Did you regret it? Also, does anyone have a weight lifting DVD to recommend that doesn't include cardio?

Thanks for listening to these random questions and my thoughts
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

It seems to me that you're being hard on yourself. I personally am not all that regimented when it comes to workouts. I do what I feel my body needs. That usually includes a good amount of cardio and weights, I alternate upper and lower body + abs. Have I taken time off? Heck yeah! I've taken time off from everything. Yes I kind of regretted it but not for long because from what I've read (and I could be wrong since all this data is constantly changing) muscle has memory. So even if you stop for a few weeks, you wouldn't be starting over as a novice. You could catch up quickly.

I highly recommend doing something different. You can just do some free weights or Pilates for a while or even just do crunches, squats, etc. at home during commercials or something. You're doing really great so kudos to you!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i know how you feel. i have to force myself to do weights too...after cardio i just wanna be done...i'm soaking wet, tired, and all i wanna do is go shower but i have been making myself do weights. i want toned arms soooo bad!!!!
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #4  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

I've read that it's better to do weights followed cardio or weights and cardio on different days. You're able to lift more effectively because your body isn't fatigued.

When I'm not pregnant...haha... I like to do full body strength training 2 days a week or so. I do lexercises that require using a lot of muscles to stabilize (squats, pushups, etc.) so that I don't have to spend as much time at it. If you go quick between sets, it ends up being a heck of a cardio workout too!

stumptuos.com has some really great weight lifting suggestions and workout ideas. Lifting helps my body tighten up. And it burns a ton of calories.

Good luck!

eta: and to be fair, I'm a cardio fiend. I love cycling and running...again, of course when I'm not pregnant. And congrats on your weight loss, OP. It loks lke you're doing awesome!

Last edited by Tanna Banana; 08-03-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Cardio is my least favourite so I do cardio first then weights, but to do weights first then cardio is better so "they" say... but if you'll stop working out because of what they say, it's better to do what works best for you...

Also, there is nothing wrong with taking a break from weight training and only do cardio for a while... I do it in the summer because I prefer to bike and be outside, I see no ill effects except that I may be slightly weaker in the first days of my come back to the gym... but your muscle has memory and in no time you're back to your normal weights....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sounds to me like you may need a new routine. How long have you been doing that particular video? But you know that because you were asking for a new video.

Personally, I've bought some of the individual P90X videos for lifting and have been working at learning those routines.

I used to be like you. Now I think I may even prefer weight training. I do about a 10-minute cardio warmup on the Stairmaster or rowing on the Concept 2, then my lifting. After that, I do 45 minutes of cardio. It feels easier after the weights.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Cardio is my least favourite so I do cardio first then weights, but to do weights first then cardio is better so "they" say... but if you'll stop working out because of what they say, it's better to do what works best for you...
I've read different things about doing cardio first and weights last or vice versa. It all depends on your intended goal. Because you'll be fatigued for whichever you choose to do last, you won't be as efficient. That being said...

If your goal is to increase cardiovascular endurance, you should do cardio first. Same is true if your goal is to burn calories. But if your goal is to increase muscle size/strength, you should do weight training first.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 306.6/292.4/150

Height: 5' 9"

I've been told weights first, because cardio wears you down (both in eating up a certain percentage of muscle, and tiring you out), so you don't want to lose weight.

I used to take a class called "Power Pump" at my club, which was weights set to music ... lighter weights, a lot of reps. Maybe there's a DVD for that?
tec4cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #9  

I go through my moods where I prefer one over the other, but more often than not, I prefer cardio because I don't have to focus as much. If I'm cycling or walking or running, I can let my mind wander. I don't have to focus so much on form.

That's why, this time around, I've decided to use the K.I.S.S. method of strength training (you know, "keep it simple, stupid"). I'm doing a very short routine of push-ups, squats, tricep extensions and sit-ups. Three sets of varying lengths, three times a week. I'm already seeing some decent upper body toning, and I've only been at this a few weeks. Sometimes I'm tempted to do more to get quicker, more dramatic results. However, I've realized that what is most important is consistency, and since this routine is so short and easy, I've been consistent with it.

So, I guess the takeaway from all this is that maybe you need to rejuvenate and simplify your ST routine. That might give you the "second wind" you need.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

I am totally with you on this, lol. I was just thinking the same exact thing last night as I was doing my kettlebells. My weight training is my least favorite part of my regime, seriously. I run for my cardio and I've gotten almost instant results. It seems to take forever for me to see any type of difference in how muscular I get - like months compared to weeks with the running. I do it begrugdingly because I want to look more toned like you stated sans clothes and in a swimsuit. But admittedly, not my favorite thing, at all.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-03-2011 at 12:56 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Well, I appreciate all the input. I think I am going to cut Jillian down to once per week, and on the other days that I am not running (my new found love, LOL!) I am going to do an activity that I like, whether it is hiking, biking, tennis, swimming, elliptical, whatever. I figure I can go back to doing more weight lifting type stuff when I feel like it.

I agree with luckymommy that I am too hard on myself. All or nothing, on plan or seriously off plan has been my downfall and why I failed in the past with weight loss. Moderation is something I really have to work at if I want to maintain, and I am getting better, but I see how that "mindset" has crept into my fitness regime, and that is not a good thing.

Last edited by fattymcfatty; 08-03-2011 at 02:35 PM.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote