Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

After having taken a week off, I got back to it today, repeating the sequence from week one as opposed to finishing off week two. I'm glad I did so. While overall I felt good, esp. as I got new, proper running shoes today, I was battling a stiff wind half the time and had trouble with my breathing. No stitch in my side except a hint of one for the first minute, but I felt like I was breathing a little too shallowly. I think it may just be a remnant of the cold I had last week as this hasn't been an issue for me before.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 287/242/150

I restarted from the beginning last week and have now re-completed the week 1. Although I have never exercised as much as I have lately, I feel at the moment that I am not making progress with running although I can feel the progress in riding the exercise bike and doing the 30 day shred. Funny and annoying at the same time. I'll start the W2 tomorrow if I have enough time in the morning!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Well, was feeling quite poorly yesterday, and hoped beyond hope that I would be fine this morning. But I wasn't. Woke up feeling gross and sick still. I decided to try to run anyway (Week 3, Day 3) because I didn't want to get off track. I made it through the run, but it was very hard. I believe this is for a couple of reasons:

1) I have been (and still am) sick and feel somewhat weak
2) I haven't been drinking water appropriately, and am not well hydrated
3) I ran today at 9am, rather than 7am, and it's much warmer out, making me feel exceedingly hot.

Lessons learned:
Drink appropriate amounts of water every day
Run earlier to avoid the heat.

It's not killer out, only 17C, but it's much easier to run when it's 12C. I am absolutely dripping with sweat for the first time ever.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #139  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Finished W1 D5 and I feel good about continuing to work on running, although, actually its a slow jog for me. I am committed to continue with the program but do wonder how I am going to increase the time running because right now the 1 minute is rough. I really want to love running but am not there yet, hopefully the further along I get in the program I will begin to feel the love and energy that everyone talks about.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

I am starting the c25k, I have to modify it because I am not allowed to run. I am not sure which program you folks are doing but it sounds much more extreme than the one I found. lol

Fist week is 30 minutes, 10 minutes for 3 days. I can walk way farther than that already, but I don't so I am starting there to get into the routine of it.

See ya at the finish line.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #141  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

@Kate74 Huh? C25k is all about running.

Anyways, I am going to try W5D2 tonight. I am scared!! I have to do 8 minutes now. And I don't even want to think about W5D3 which is 20 minutes straight! Ohoh. Wish me luck.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #142  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
I am committed to continue with the program but do wonder how I am going to increase the time running because right now the 1 minute is rough.
So DON'T increase the time.

It took you years and years to reach your current level of lack-of-fitness. You can afford to take a few more days or weeks in your journey to fitness.

Seriously-- C25K progresses really, really quickly. Some people get lucky and complete it on schedule and without injury within their first six months' running, but I'm guessing that more do not. Take it easy on yourself and give your bones, muscles, and cardiovascular system time to adapt set yourself up to be one of the success stories.

(PS, either you're running--both feet off the ground at one time-- or you're walking. A slow run in still a run. And a beginning runner is going to be a slow runner.)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMom View Post
Finished W1 D5 and I feel good about continuing to work on running, although, actually its a slow jog for me. I am committed to continue with the program but do wonder how I am going to increase the time running because right now the 1 minute is rough. I really want to love running but am not there yet, hopefully the further along I get in the program I will begin to feel the love and energy that everyone talks about.

This is the case for me as well. I jog super slow, but I don't care, it's running all the same. When I am done the program, I think I will repeat it, I will run the whole time, but the "running" times will be a "run faster" time for me, learning to slowly increase my speed.

Last edited by OhMyDogs; 06-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Josey, I beg to differ, couch to 5K is all about getting off the couch and getting active. if you look around you will find piles of programs that base the program on those that cannot run.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Completed W2D2 today.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #146  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate74 View Post
Josey, I beg to differ, couch to 5K is all about getting off the couch and getting active. if you look around you will find piles of programs that base the program on those that cannot run.
I don't know but http://c25k.com/ states the following:

The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks running program
C25K, is a fantastic program that's been designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks.

So far we were talking about running here i.e. learning to run 5k in 9 weeks as far as I understand. At least that's what thought we are talking about!

Do you have a link to the walking plan? I was wondering what the goal is.

Anyways, I think whatever gets you moving is great regardless of the program/name.

Last edited by josey; 06-15-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #147  
Suck it up, buttercup!

W5D2 is done!! I actually did get through last night. The first run of 8 minutes was surprisingly easy! Woohoo! The second one a bit tougher. Anyways, now I can start sweating W5D3 which is a 20 minutes run (no walking!). Scary stuff!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #148  

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
[I]The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks running program
And her walking hurts your running... how, exactly?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Just did week 2, day 3 and it felt good!

I forgot to turn the location services on for the iphone app (if I leave them on it drains my batteries with this app for some reason), so I don't know my distance or pace, but I didn't feel that I was going particularly quickly. That's okay, though. I felt a lot better about than I had with the first two days in this week and having water with me (I went out and bought a camel-back-type thing) really helped keep my energy up.

Still feeling like I can't take the deep breaths as I should be, though. Lung capacity has always been an issue for me.

The one real downside to today was during the last interval my sock slipped down and I got a blister on my heel. Oh well.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #150  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
And her walking hurts your running... how, exactly?
I didn't say that. I was just wondering what her program is since the C25k I know is all about running.
Closed Thread