Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #1  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Burger or French Fry?

Nope... not a food question.

A group of my friends and I are planning to run the Boston Marathon in relays while wearing either a burger or a french fry costume. We'll be pulling this stunt to raise money for a nonprofit called Back On My Feet, which provides homeless people with housing and job opportunities if they commit to fitness as well. In addition to a bit of fundraising on our own, we are being sponsored by a local burger joint called b.good.

Yeah, I'm pretty freakin' excited.

Two survey questions:

1) Should I sign up to run in the burger suit or a french fry suit? I was thinking fry, because I don't even eat burgers, but that spare tire is more... classic, you know?

2) More seriously: how should I train for my five-mile leg of the marathon? I can run a 9-minute mile without much difficulty, but I hate doing it, so I always get off the treadmill to do something else after the mile is done. I hate running so much, I've never even finished Week 1 of C25k!

The marathon is in 10 weeks, on April 18th. And I'm kind of determined not to be last place on the team, which is mostly buff, athletic college guys...

3) FINALLY: Should I train while wearing a large tube / box / tire to mimic the suit? For your reference, this is it, modeled by a friend who ran the whole thing in it last year. It's pretty awesome.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-09-2011 at 01:51 AM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Get a 10K schedule you like the look of and just go with it .(10K is about 6.2 miles which should prepare you for 5 miles just fine.) Towards the end, do wear a costume thingie so you can sort out costume probs. Probably look at BodyGlide for chafe prone bits.

Galloway

Higdon

Cool Running

And have fun!

A.

PS: Burger seems easier... you could always train at the end with a blow up swimming poll "donut" lounger thing to simulate. I can't even begin to think of how to simulate fry costume!

Last edited by astrophe; 02-09-2011 at 02:07 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #3  
Corporette diet

Thanks for those recommendations! Wow... intimidating. I think I'm motivated to actually go for a 5k run this morning, now, but...

Tally: Burger 1, French Fry 0
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Burger is really cute... hides a multitude of sins

Just go for it, follow a plan as much as you can and just have fun....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #5  
Corporette diet

Haha, but I'll be a svelte runner in two months, right? The french fry might be horizontal, anyway... like a really awkward innertube.