Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #121  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hi all,

Setsyan I hope your first run went well, do pop in and let us know

Angie Congrats on your run, and on getting over that mental 'i can't' barrier.

Well I moved my running outside yesterday, and it felt really good to finally being 'normal' and just hanging out at the local track. I did unfortunately have a hangover and was majorly dehydrated after a birthday indulgence on Sunday evening.

I was doing week 5 day 2, and managed the first 8 minute run, although I set off way too quick and half way through had to slow it right down and only just managed to finish, but I kept going and was thrilled! After the 5 mins walking I was still suffering though, and when I started the next 8 minute run was a mess! I managed 4 mins straight, then walked the last four and tried to run the 5 min cool down on my podcast, but ended up only doing about half of it. I did do another half an hour walking with the odd short running blast to keep my heart rate up though.

Two errors, one the hangover and two the speed I set off.

I'm planning on returning to the track tomorrow, and doing the same day again, I'm hopefully without a hangover, being properly hydrated and working on taking it slowly will all lead to me having a successful run, fingers crossed!
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Hi ladies! Hope it's okay if I jump in here =)

I just started this week, but decided to start at week 4 since I've been running for awhile and am at the point of easily completing 6 mins at a stretch. I've done days 1 and 2, and day 3 is tomorrow. The 1st day was pretty easy, though I had to stop to stretch halfway through because my calves were cramping. Yesterday I spent 15 minutes on the elliptical first to get sufficiently warmed up, then went to the park to run, and it was much better... Made it all the way through with no problems!

I'm not sure that I'll be ready for a 20 min jog in only a week though, so I may be repeating week 4 at least once.

Sounds like everyone else is doing a great job! I'm looking forward to seeing all of our progress!
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #123  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I did week 3, day 2 of my C25K tonight....YES! I sometimes feel like I don't want to do it, but then as I do it I think "wow, I'm doing it!!" and when I finish...I feel so awesome. I think I need to do more warm up to keep my calves from getting sore so quickly. Does anyone here do extra warm up?

Taking Control -- Happy belated birthday! I've noticed my runs are easier if I do them a bit later in the day and make sure I'm really well hydrated. Still sounds like you did very well given the circumstances!

AriRuns - Congratulations on starting C25K!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 168/139/130

Height: 5'8"

Finished the c25k program tonight (a lot fitter, and as of yesterday, a whole 2 stone lighter than when I started) with a beautiful 30 minute run outside. It was absolutely gorgeous weather!

My aims over the next few months are:
-to build up to running 60 minutes on the one hour program
-run outside more
-complete the two 5k races in the summer in 36 minutes or less

For everyone still on the program, keep going!! I can finally say I'm starting to feel like a runner!
mydearthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 170.6/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

My husband and I just started! Week 1, Day 1 - Completed!!
tropica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #126  

I'm re-doing week 5 this week, in the hope I'll have more success than last week. I think a lot of my problems are mental, so this will be the week I break down the barriers. Done so well on it so far, wasn't expecting a huge barrier last week, now I'm prepared for it, hopefully I'll over come it tonight!

Mydearthing WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOPPP! well done you, I hope you're really proud of yourself! I can't wait to be posting the same thing, your post has given me motivation not to give up Enjoy your runs and races, and as you say, feeling like a runner

Angie Thank you! Hope you continued to progress well last week, I had a bad week, was still out and running for three days, but just completely lost the ability to follow the programme, did w5d2 three times and just couldn't manage it. Back to w5d1 today, and build from there!

Tropica well done for getting started
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/169

Height: 5'3"

mydearthing: CONGRATULATIONS!! I love reading c25k success stories, because it makes me think that I'll get there soon too.

And then I have a day like today.

I ran the first 25 minute run about 8 days ago and it was just really difficult. So I decided to go back and re-run that week -- the 5,3,8,3,5 day and the 10, 3, 10 day. They went totally fine. But then when I tried 25 minutes again today, I really struggled.

I finished but I was beyond wiped out, very weak and am still bright red about 30 minutes later.

Has anyone else hit a wall like this at the 25 minute run stage?

Any tips?
JennyJumpUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #128  

Take it slower. Do more intervals for a while before trying 20 or 25 minutes again.

C25K progresses really, really quickly--faster than a lot of other reputable programs. Just because the program is online doesn't mean that it's written in stone.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #129  

I've hit my wall at the 20min mark. After failing the w5d2 run twice, and then trying for w5d3 and failing. I've decided to slow the pace right down. I'm going to do week 5 day 1 three times this week, and then week 5 day 2 three times next week, and then either move onto the 20 min straight run on w5d3 the week after, or maybe skip that completely and move onto w6d1. I'll see how I'm feeling then.

I've loved the programme this far, but after a day of 'failing' last week I felt rubbish, n rally unmotivated to do anything at all this week, so I've had to give myself a good talking too and remind myself this isn't a race, so if it takes me longer to meet the goal, I don't care, I've just gotta keep working towards it, that's all the matters

Jennyjumpup let us know how you decide to tackle the later stages of the programme.

Mariamaria thanks for backing up what I'd already been thinking,
made me feel a lot btter about my decision to slow down now

Good luck to everyone still on their journey, we'll all get there!

Last edited by takingcontrol; 03-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

If you run on a treadmill, how do you all choose the speeds at which you run? Do you keep the same speed every day or vary it with the interval length? I'm in week 3 and so far I've run at about the same speed each week even though the intervals have gotten longer, but during a week I increase my speed by a couple tenths of a mile/hr from workout to workout. I think I'll probably have to slow down as the intervals get really long, though.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR View Post
If you run on a treadmill, how do you all choose the speeds at which you run? Do you keep the same speed every day or vary it with the interval length? I'm in week 3 and so far I've run at about the same speed each week even though the intervals have gotten longer, but during a week I increase my speed by a couple tenths of a mile/hr from workout to workout. I think I'll probably have to slow down as the intervals get really long, though.
I kept my speed the same throughout the entire program. I ran at 5.0. I found anything less than 5.0 was actually harder. I started at 4.7, but quickly found out that my natural pace was 5.0. Anything less and I think I was actually pushing the treadmill belt and got sore calves. I just finished the program and am playing around with speed now. My natural speed is 5.2 now and I add in some intervals at 5.5 and 6. Just play with it until you find what is most comfortable.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #132  

Well tonight I messed around with n hours worth of 5 min jog, 3 min walking intervals, and felt so good after it. Baring in mind it was 33degres and so humid, it was a workout and a half. Gonna do that a couple omore times this week, as it was tough! N then move up the intervals for jogging by a minute or so next week n repeat the process, when I get back to the uk and more sensible weather, in three weeks time, I'll try jump back on the programme, but for now I'm stepping down, but certainly not stopping the jogging, I'm addicted!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
I've hit my wall at the 20min mark.

I've loved the programme this far, but after a day of 'failing' last week I felt rubbish, n rally unmotivated to do anything at all this week, so I've had to give myself a good talking too and remind myself this isn't a race, so if it takes me longer to meet the goal, I don't care, I've just gotta keep working towards it, that's all the matters
That 20 minute jump was huge. I didn't make it on my first try either. I went outside for that run and it was really windy. I made it one mile (12 minutes) and then walked 1/4 mile, then ran 1/4 mile. I didn't repeat it though LOL Just moved onto the next week where it restarted with intervals. Just do your best, and if you have to walk to catch your breath, take a short break, then start the running again and call it mission accomplished! Someone on here gave me the advice that there is no shame in taking a short walking break and that it can actually improve your time because it gives you the energy to step it up.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #134  

Thanks Aimee, I hope to get back onto the longer runs and give the 20 mins another go when I'm back in the UK, but for now, battling the sweaty, hot dizziness that is running in Thailand, I'm gonna keep the intervals pretty short but keep my heartrate up and keep at it, and see where I'm at in three weeks I'll be sure to let you know!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 272/219.6/145

Height: 5' 4

Well, ladies I have finished the program!!! I have not been active in this thread but I want you all to know I read here and your advise and support to each other has really helped me along. And to anyone who is struggling (I know this has been said before) I will say if I can do it you can do it.
KmbRN84 is offline   Reply With Quote