Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #1  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Running Through September

HEy all you runners!
i know we have a bunch of people gearing up for a fall running goal, so lets get back into posting about our races, and our training and everything running related!

Ill start:
after having emergency oral surgery last week, i decided to take a couple percocets and go for a 12 mile run ( mind you, i havenr run "long" since i ran the Phoenix Marathon in January.
ANyway, the run went great, felt great (suprise-- thank you percocet) and i talked myself into registering for the Denver Marathon.
In 5 weeks.
I have 5 weeks to fit in 5 months worth of training. We start off with a 20 miler on Saturday! Just wehn people are peaking and getting ready to taper for their marathons, i am just getting started. BRILLIANT
BUT
the marathon is on my 30th bday, so i kinda HAVE to do it
Oh, AND i took first place in my division a couple weeks ago in a local 10k, and THIRD PLACE overalll!! About 400 runners too, so not TOO small either

Anyway, i guess i better quit smoking if i want to run another marathon

what is everyone else up to?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

HI. I just saw this thread. I'm a runner too but haven't done anything anywhere close to a marathon yet!

Right now I'm going about 3-4 miles 5x a week. I'd like to sign up for either a 5K or 10K but DH and I have some business trips coming up and I'm waiting to know the dates of those first before I can make any commitment.

I used to run cross country and track way back when in high school but I was a lot faster then (and a lot lighter)! Right now I'm just working on cutting down my mile time.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I have been so slack with my running this summer. I've done good to make it out twice per week, on my spectacular weeks I made 3 runs. A couple of 5ks, a 10k, three 8 mile runs, but mostly 3-6 at a time all summer long, no long runs really since the half marathon I ran in March. It has been so darn hot. My class reunion got scheduled for out of town the night before my next half I had planned for 9/19, which works out okay since I am totally out of shape. Going to start getting back into the flow now that it is starting to cool down a little. Please cool down a little.

MKroyer, you said you hadn't done any long runs since your marathon, what kind of runs have you been doing?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

Shannon- i actually picked up trail running, and had been focusing almost entirely on that all summer! I got so SO burned out on road running after 2 marathons, and then i went into this rest/recovery program to get my body/hormones back to working properly (result of overtraining and undereating for so long). ANyway, ive been trail running 2-4X a week, anywhere from 4 to 10 miles, supplementing it with random road running a couple few times a week, usually 5-7 miles.
The thing is, my running has been so UNFOCUSED, and that makes it hard to stay motivated... trail running truly re-kindled my love of running-for-running sake. Its hard though, to make time for it. Its a WHOLE production to figure out where im going to run, planning for water/re-fueling, DRIVING there, RUNNING-- and its SLOW GOING up in the mountains, and then driving home too! The whole thing would take 3-4 hours just to run 6 miles.
I also took time all summer to really focus on bulding strength and muscle mass, because i was FINALLY eating at maintenance. I was pretty successful too!
But i love the Denver Marathon. It is a GREAT event, and it beckons to me.... i think i will be ok. Definitely wont shatter any land speed records (or personal records) this time around, but hope to have a fun, strong finish, even without the training.
If you havent been running, then what HAVE you been doing

Runningfromfat- welcome! As you drop weight you will naturally, and effortlessly get faster! Have patience

No run for me today. X-Train (spin class and strength training)
Tomorrow 8 miles LA Threshold run. Hmmmmm we shall SEE how that goes. Im totally out of my habit of waking up early and running. Maybe my goal should just be to get up-- worry about running later
Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #5  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

I'm rather new to the world of running but I'd like to hang out with all you "real" runners.

I completed the Couch to 5K running plan last month. I did my first 5K in July after only 6 weeks of running...and came in last place. Go me! I did my second 5K in August on a very very very hilly course and I still improved on my time by three minutes from the first 5K.

Right now I'm doing Hal Hidon's 10K program which has 2 and 3 mile runs increasing to 4 and 5 mile runs, 3 days a week.

I had never run before in my life prior to beginning the C25K plan on June 1. I've been surprised to discover that I really love it, and I can't wait to lose weight so I can run further and faster.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Hello!

I'm a runner too. Got back into it a few months ago, and more seriously than i have in the past. My ultimate goal is to run the Portland marathon next year. I have my first 5k in a couple weeks, then a 10k, the "Run Like ****" race on October 24. Just went from running 3x/week to 4. I really enjoy it, and love to see my progress week after week.
kaygee41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #7  
A runner wanna be.

Height: 5'1

I careful runner here. I was never a runner until last year. After four months, I had to stop because I was going too fast too soon and I injured my hip. I am losing weight but I think it is too slowly LOL.
I am focused on finishing a 5k in 33', hoping I will get fit at the same time. I have a 5k the last Sat of September.
lili58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #8  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I just finished my first half marathon the 5th (last sunday)!!! The Rock'n'Roll Half marathon Virginia Beach. It was amazing and now I am addicted. Found out there was another half marathon about 45 minutes away from me so I going to do that one as well! It is November 20th, about 10 and a half weeks from now. I'm super excited, I'm trying to shave off more pounds and getting my time down. My first hm I did in 2:34:59, I'm hoping to do the next in ten minute miles so about 2:18 i think.

But bad news! I started training today after two days rest from the half marathon, did six miles. I had noticed the day before that my left foot still hurt but I thought it would be fine today. I noticed while running it was sore a bit but nothing bad until the last minute of my run I had a sharp pain! And now I can barely walk on it! Its plantar fasciitis, which isn't too bad. At lest its nothing I would need to sit around for months on! I'm staying off it as much as possible for the next 4 days or so, then giving it a few more days. Making sure to tape it up and stretch it. Hoping that a week of no running will be enough but I'm going to make sure not to rush it!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi fellow runners,

Hey Shannon - i am right there with you, fell off the training schedule the day after my 1/2 . I have been slowly trying to work up my mileage.
I am going to sign up for a 10k today (turkey trot) so i have some thing to work towards.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #10  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
I'm rather new to the world of running but I'd like to hang out with all you "real" runners.

I completed the Couch to 5K running plan last month. I did my first 5K in July after only 6 weeks of running...and came in last place. Go me! I did my second 5K in August on a very very very hilly course and I still improved on my time by three minutes from the first 5K.

Right now I'm doing Hal Hidon's 10K program which has 2 and 3 mile runs increasing to 4 and 5 mile runs, 3 days a week.

I had never run before in my life prior to beginning the C25K plan on June 1. I've been surprised to discover that I really love it, and I can't wait to lose weight so I can run further and faster.

This is pretty much a ditto for me too. I ran my first 5K at the fleet feet lady distance 5K and my time is extremely slow. But i notice that the more weight I lose I'm shaving minutes from my mile. I started with C25K walk/running a mile @ 18 minutes roughly. I went for a run yesterday after missing 2 weeks of running and my time is down to a 15 minute mile woot. At first I thought I was miss interpreting the mile marker and that the time was not accurate until I hit mile 2 @ 29:40!!! So it's official my mile jogged PR is 15:24 yay! I am doing the race for the cure and honestly I just hope to beat my last 5k Total of 53:19 When I look at how slow I am and watching people pass me up even on regular runs I just tell myself "as the weight comes off you will get faster, your not in competition with anyone besides yourself anyway." Heck I think I'm doing pretty good to weigh over 300Lbs and get these runs in.
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #11  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDawsondn View Post
When I look at how slow I am and watching people pass me up even on regular runs I just tell myself "as the weight comes off you will get faster, your not in competition with anyone besides yourself anyway." Heck I think I'm doing pretty good to weigh over 300Lbs and get these runs in.
I need to tell myself that more. I used to run.. A LOT and would go for a 10 mile run in high school just because I was bored. Now... not so much! The longest I've run this year is a 4 mile route but I might try a 5 mile this weekend if DH promises to watch DD that long.

But I feel soooo slow. My normal jogging pace for a 5 or 6 mile route was probably a 10 minute mile or less (and I was even able to run a 6 minute mile if it was just one!). Now I struggle to get a 10 minute mile in when I'm only running 2 miles. I DO feel myself going faster now that I've been running a couple of months but it'll probably take me awhile to get back to my old speed since I was about 75 lbs lighter then!!! I'm not a very patient person so this really has been a struggle for me.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

i have nothing but admiration and respect for heavier runners, and i hope that isnt taken the wrong way. I know a LOT of people trying to lose weight get "embarrassed" about being at the gym, or running outside, and its totally unfounded, from my perspective, at least. I cant IMAGINE running at a higher weight. That takes so much more dedication and determination than running and already being at or close to an ideal weight. I used to be about 200 pounds, at my highest, but i wasnt a runner than. My runs feel painful and slow and awful nowadays when im carrying around an extra 5 pounds. Waa Waaa.
Reading your guys' struggles put things into perspective.
i really hope non of this is taken the wrong way.
I applaud EVERYONE for getting out and doing it.
Running is truly a beautiful thing, because the sport is "big enough to embrace us all"
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #13  
Tellin' it like it is!

Oh, and todays run:
8 mi LA Threshold (actually ended up at 7.8, but close enough)
time- 68 minutes -- eh, ill take it
went well. i didnt want to get up to do it-- that was the hard part. Told myself just get up and RUN... go 4 miles, anything, just do it!
And i did, and it started off pretty awfully-- but warmed up quickly as i fell into my stride, so to speak
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #14  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
i have nothing but admiration and respect for heavier runners, and i hope that isnt taken the wrong way. I know a LOT of people trying to lose weight get "embarrassed" about being at the gym, or running outside, and its totally unfounded, from my perspective, at least. I cant IMAGINE running at a higher weight. That takes so much more dedication and determination than running and already being at or close to an ideal weight. I used to be about 200 pounds, at my highest, but i wasnt a runner than. My runs feel painful and slow and awful nowadays when im carrying around an extra 5 pounds. Waa Waaa.
Reading your guys' struggles put things into perspective.
i really hope non of this is taken the wrong way.
I applaud EVERYONE for getting out and doing it.
Running is truly a beautiful thing, because the sport is "big enough to embrace us all"

I'm not offended at all. I've been both the skinny runner and the heavy runner. I've noticed so many differences now. It's not just that I get passed often (and actually this week I even passed a few people who were at least 50 lbs lighter than me! ). But it's more the comments/looks. You just don't see 200+ lb women running. Sure, you occasionally see slightly chubby women running but not actually overweight ones. I had a 4 mi run this week that was all hills with 2 very big hill in particular. Going up both hills I certainly wasn't sprinting and both times I had guys give me comments about "you're almost there... keep it up" something like that. I don't think they were trying to be mean, but I obviously had their pity. Before I used to get catcalls and whistles, quite a difference! I'd prefer NO comments at all but it's really different when people think you're about to pass out vs. you look nice.

However, I've learned for me that I NEED intense workouts to stay on track. I can't just do a 20 minute video at home and expect to lose weight. I need to run for an hour and also do weights. I have to admit that genetics really annoy me when I have skinny friends who never workout but are still so skinny whereas I need to fight to lose every pound!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #15  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDawsondn View Post
"your not in competition with anyone besides yourself anyway."
I love this! Next race I do I am going to chant this to myself in my head. Its so true I started running to lose weight and be healthier and now that I'm running a lot more, I want to run better for myself.

Another thing, my weight loss journey stalled for a bit and I couldn't get myself back on track, but now that I know I love half marathons I want to run them faster, which has put me right back on track for losing weight. Instead of using the old reasons (like being overweight) which don't work anymore, I know that if I lose weight I will run much faster and easier. And I cannot weight for that! Running is really keeping me on track.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote