Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

Default Beginner Runner

I just started running last week. I would not call it running or even jogging cuz I can walk as fast I have been trying to run. My DS goes with me, he is the one that keeps me going. He also runs cross country & track in school. Last week we ran 3 days. We had agreed to run Mon, Wed, & Fri & take weekends off till I got good (or sorta) Each time I have run I have improved. All last week I did not do a whole mile & would stop to walk a bit. Today I had an itch to run so I asked DS if he wanted to. I figured he would since he has been upset with GF & needed to blow some energy. We did not stretch as long as usual & I could tell when we started our run (felt it in groin area) After we got going I did not feel it any longer & did not feel it during the stretch afterwards but boy do I feel it now! Is there anything I can do to relieve it? I would like to be able to run again tomorow but if it feels like this not sure if I'll be able to. I am also very proud of myself cuz I also ran a full mile without stopping That is a huge improvement for me. My goal is to be able to run a 5k in Oct. Any advise you can give me on the groin & anything else would be great. Do you carb load or eat more the day before you run or the day of? DS's coach tells them to carb up the nite before a meet. I am trying to stay below 50 carbs a day. But I want to hear what works for everyone. When you increase distance how far do you increase at a time? Pretty much everything.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

carb loading is completely unnecessary for what you are doing. Racing is different.

I would ice your groin right now. Tomorrow go for a walk and if you have any pain do not run. If it feels ok then take an easy run, walk more than you have in the past. Becareful with overstretching it, if it is a pull, stretching a pull can make it worse.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Hi tyma ... I run 5-8k and there is no need to carb load at all... you know as well that I do very low carb with no ill effects...

Sounds like you stretched before your run, it's not recommended to stretch cold muscles before a run... You should walk for 5-10 mins as a warm up then start running slowly, then get up to your regular pace... To cool down do the same 5-10 mins of walking at the end of your workout then last but not least, stretch....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Sounds like you stretched before your run, it's not recommended to stretch cold muscles before a run... You should walk for 5-10 mins as a warm up then start running slowly, then get up to your regular pace... To cool down do the same 5-10 mins of walking at the end of your workout then last but not least, stretch....
We always stretch before going out. Usually 5-10 minutes then we walk threw our alley & around the corner. On the end I go back to a walk then stretch again. I was always under the impression that you needed to stretch to warm up your muscles before running or exercise. I have not been eating more carbs on the days that I run & do not feel any ill effects from it. I have noticed that if I am a little hungry before a run that I am not when I am done with the run until a few hours later. Do eat more before your run or after your run (for energy)?

This morning my groin muscla feels much better. I can still feel it but it not that bad. I am going to wait to see how it feels later today before deciding if I will run today or not.

Last edited by tymaboy; 07-19-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

tyma -- Glad to hear that your groin is better... if you stretch before your run this is where you may have stretched your groin muscle that was cold... I have never stretched before a run, I just do a 5-10 minute brisk walk then run then stretch...

Here is a good groin stretch..... ..... after your run...

Just an off topic question: How old is your son?

Last edited by Ilene; 07-19-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I like doing the warm up Jillian Michaels does before the workout on 30DS, it involves windmills and moving your hips around and stuff, I think it's called 'static stretching' or something. It's warming up and stretching your muscles and moving them around so your not warming up cold muscles.

I made the mistake of not warming up properlly and trying to stretch with cold muscles and had pain in my hips for a few days. It went away, but it taught me to stay away from that.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #7  

My son is 17. It will be hard to remind myself that I do not need to stretch before a run when pretty much everyone tells you thats what you need to do.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If you want to stretch before a run - and some people do - then you need to warm up for 5-10 minutes BEFORE stretching. I've been having a niggle in my right leg that needs a calf stretch before a run so I run slowly for 5 minutes and then stretch it out.

But never ever ever stretch a cold muscle. Stick a rubber band in the freezer and then stretch it. Yeah. Loosen the muscles before running with active movement. Walk, knee raises, etc.

Until your runs get up to the 60-90 minute duration it isnt necessary to eat more to support them.

Last edited by ennay; 07-19-2010 at 01:14 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaboy View Post
It will be hard to remind myself that I do not need to stretch before a run when pretty much everyone tells you thats what you need to do.
When you start hanging out with runners you'll hear differently ....
Old 07-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
When you start hanging out with runners you'll hear differently ....
DS runs cross country & track in school. His coach has them stretch before they run that is why DS is having me do the same.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaboy View Post
DS runs cross country & track in school. His coach has them stretch before they run that is why DS is having me do the same.
I see... Oh, well, everyone is different I guess... but if your injury was cause by stretching I'd be very careful...
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #12  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've been running since January and no carb loading whatsoever. I did however have to increase my cals as my distance increased and how often I ran changed. However, I'm a bit of an odd ball in the calorie department. I'm only now incorporating post workout nutrition into my routine but only because I'm now trying to maintain and I'm training for a half marathon.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote