Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default Need Advice From Seasoned Runners

I began running in January with the C25K and completed it in March. I did the whole program on the treadmill at the gym and have since worked up so that I can complete 5k in just under 40mins.
I've signed up for my first 5k on the 3rd July and so have been trying to add in some running outside to get me used to it. The first few times I went out I found it so much harder than the treadmill, and I only managed a few short intervals.
Then one day I went and ran circles around the local football pitches and managed 24mins non-stop and was SO proud of myself although the boredom was immense. A few days later we went to visit family and I went for a run along the promenade and it was so different to be able to run SOMEWHERE, and although it was SO hard I managed over 35mins running non-stop and felt invincible.
Due to being sick and family commitments I've not been able to run outside again til yesterday, when I had to go down to the football pitches again, and I only managed 10mins. I was so annoyed with myself because I felt like the 24mins and 35mins must have been a fluke.
I realised later that I hadn't taken my ipod with me and I usually use my music to motivate me, by saying I'll run just one more song, and so on, so that will have contributed I know, but not sure if it was the whole reason.
Another reason I think is the boredom. Running around in circles drives me mad.
So I've decided I really need to start running somewhere, but I don't know how to start.
I've been using some of the map it sites and working out distances to some places etc, but I'm scared. My main concerns are:-
1. How do I choose where to run when I still don't know how far I really can comfortably run outside? I don't want to set off somewhere and find I don't have the energy to get back. I know I can walk back if I run to somewhere, but it's still worrying. Around where I live is also very hilly so I have to account for the fact that I've not done hills. The route I'm thinking of trying today is approx 2.5k out and then obviously the same back. Out is downhill and level, then back is level and uphill. I've thought if I could try to run all the way there then I could possibly run the level bit back then walk the uphill bit. I so wish I could find a flat route of 5k but don't know where to start.
2. I'm scared of running in public. I still have 40lbs or so to lose and so don't look like most of the runners I see, and I'm really scared of catcalls and people seeing my beetroot red face and sweating buckets.
3. What if I suddenly need to visit the toilet? On the football pitches if I need to I can be back home within 5mins, but if I run somewhere there aren't public toilets at regular intervals. So what do I do?
Sorry for such a long post and all the questions, if anyone can help with advice and experience I'd really appreciate it.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

You made me giggle . I HAVE peed in the woods, many times. Or are you in town? Reading on Runner's World forums, I am by no means the only one to do that.

I do out and backs a lot, Just run and far as it feels good, and then walk the rest. That's okay!! A lot of times, out of pride, I don't want to finish an out and back, but I do. (and I think your 10 minute day was a fluke, I have them as well!!). I do believe, for me and my DH anyway, there's this "wall"...around a mile or so, that the first mile is tough....REALLY bad on some days, and once you get past that, it's much better.

Congratulations!! You should be so proud of yourself!! Even if you're a little heavy still, you probably could run further than a majority of people...just remember that!

(PS - my face doesn't sweat. So, I get BEET RED. It's embarassing, I do say. I have to be pretty desperate to run at the Y b/c of it.)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Hello Loving Me!

First of all, hurrah to you for completing C25K and for taking it outside! I have a couple thoughts on what you wrote about.

Don't be afraid to go back to an earlier section of the C25K program and start from there outside. As you've found, running on the road is a completely different experience from the treadmill, and you might find the transition more comfortable if you start with a run/walk program.

As for finding a route, can you create a loop with your home roughly in the center? I run a 3-mile-loop in my neighborhood, but I am never more than a mile from my house. If I wanted to cut it short and return home, it wouldn't be too far... or if I needed a bathroom break. I use gmap-pedometer.com to map my routes. If you can't find a loop, how about a route that goes out 1.25 km, then turn around and run home, and then out (in a different direction) another 1.25 km, and then back home... does that make sense? An out-and-back-and-out-and-back. You won't be as far at any given point.

As for hills, I have been known to run the downhills and the flats, and power walk up the hills. Your heart rate will stay up, especially if you keep your arms pumping. As your conditioning improves and you get more accustomed to the road, you can run a little bit more of the hills each outing, until you are running the whole thing.

Running in public. Well, for those who are rude enough to catcall, etc, I say EFF 'EM! Like bullies in grade school, they are just people who don't feel good about themselves, and try to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. Especially someone who is brave enough to try something new, something bold. If someone catcalls you, think about how sad that person's life must be that his only pleasure is from trying to make someone feel worse than he does -- and then feel grateful that you have the strength and courage to work to make your life better.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

1. Small loops at first until you gain confidence. And if you have to walk, so? I know that sounds glib but as someone who runs a lot and ALWAYS think I can go out and run and complete it I have occasionally run into the day I just cant. And I walk home. Or walk for awhile and start running again. Its ok, just time consuming

2. People are self absorbed. They will barely notice you (this includes cars backing out of their driveway by the way). Catcalls are a very very very rare thing. I've run thin, I've run fat, I've run hugely obviously pregnant.

3. Peeing isnt as common as you might think. The process of running tends to shut that down a bit although the jiggle can make it feel like you need to. If you have weak bladder control you can do small loops or plan routes to public bathrooms. When I was very pregnant my run went Home-park(pee) park-restaurant(pee) back to the park (pee) and home. I know every portapotty in town and what days they get cleaned.

4. Hills. Take hills slowly, dont try to power up them, try to maintain a steady EFFORT which means you may drop into a walk. Keep your head up and look up the hill, dont trudge staring at your feet. Use caution on the downs. Downhill is harder on the body, quads and joints. (I'm the opposite of the above poster, I have been known to run up and walk down a very steep hill. ) You need to build your body up for running downs just as much as up. Just maintain a smooth stride and dont try to go faster on the down.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #5  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I agree with the small loops until you're comfortable. Lots of times if you're in an aera with stores places like Starbucks or whatever don't seem to mind you stopping in to use the bathroom and will even give you a large cup of water if you ask nicely. Otherwise, yeah you have to suck it up and use the bushes.

Don't feel bad about your weight 40lbs isn't that bad for a runner. I'm still carrying an extra 30 and I've lost about 60 since I've been running. Compression clothing helps to suck in any jiggly bits if it helps make you feel better. People normally aren't thinking the things you think they might be... and more often then not they will be IMPRESSED that you're running now as opposed to waiting until you're lighter.

People way underestimate what a heavy person can do. It's a lot more about fitness then it is about weight.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #6  

All great advice... The only one that I do the opposite of, is the advice ennay gave you that you look up the hill, I've been told to look down about four feet in front of your feet and just focus on the sidewalk/road and get up that hill... this is what I do and it works for me... So I guess whatever works, works
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote