Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #1  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Question 1st 5K and I've got questions!

I've signed up to do my first 5K next Saturday. What was I thinking? I've got a million questions I'm hoping some of you experienced folks can help me with.

1. When I get to the race site, what happens as far as checking in and such?
2. I normally run as soon as I wake up and eat after. The race isn't until 9 a.m. What should I do about food?
3. Are there water stations along the race route?
4. What happens if I have to pee?
5. I've been doing C25K which always starts with a 5-minute warm-up walk. Obviously, I don't want to start the race with that, so should I do it before? How will I know how to time it so I'm not waiting for like 20 minutes after warming up?
6. What is basic running etiquette? How do I not piss off the people who know what they're doing?
7. What happens if I get sick, or pass out, or have a heart attack? Will I just be lying there on the sidewalk looking stupid or getting trampled?
And here's the one that's really bugging me...
8. HOW DO I NOT GET LOST? If I fall behind the crowd of runners, and I'm all by myself, how do I know where to go? Are there signs posted? What happens if I miss one of the signs and just go randomly wandering about town?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #2  

I can in no way help you, as a 5k is one of my "someday" goals...but I have to say your list made me lol. If I ever do get to the point of running one, I will want all of those exact same answers.
Bry1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

5ks tend to be very casual and not really competitive so you should be fine. Different races vary in their check in procedures but generally there will be signs directing you.

Most have water stations and the route is usually well marked or has people directing. If you are a slower running, i'd just start near the back. Bigger races tend to put you in order of your general speed. I'd also go pee beforehand

You should be fine, don't worry. You might want to have something light to eat before the race (an hour or so before).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

1. Depends on the race but usually you find the registration table, get your bib and maybe some other goodies. Pin the bib to the FRONT of your shirt. Get there earlier than you think you have to.

2. Eat something light and digestible 2-3 hours before the race. Not a lot of time to experiment and usually the first rule is nothing new on race day. Have you ever eaten before working out? Toast with PB?

3)Depends on the race, that info should be available at the race website, or ask when picking up the bib.

4)There will be portapotties at the start there may be some on the course, again that info depends on the race.

5)Race starts at 9. Do your warmup (personally I would walk 5 and then jog a bit but it depends on how stressed you are about finishing the distance) so that you finish by 8:45. Immediately get in the portapotty line one last time. IF the race is really crowded and the lines are long, warmup earlier

6) I'll attach another link, but basically dont start in the front if you are slow. Try to appropriately stage yourself. If you do have to switch from a run to a walk dont just stop suddenly, make sure there isnt someone right behind you. Dont hold hands or walk 3 abreast in front of runners

7) Someone will stop and help you. Runners are good people. The race will have medical support.

8) it is extremely unlikely to happen. But look at the map ahead of time and have a general idea. But yes the courses are generally marked or have volunteers at the intersections.

Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive list, some serious, some funny, but overall quite helpful. It was originally written for a 10K, but still has good help

HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited by ennay; 07-08-2010 at 07:48 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #5  
The girl who can

THANK YOU!

I am an obsessive worrier, so this helped a lot!

Ennay, that list you linked to is hysterical.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #6  

You are so funny! Hope you are feeling more relaxed about it. Have a great time!
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #7  
The girl who can

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bighog View Post
You are so funny! Hope you are feeling more relaxed about it. Have a great time!
The obsessive fretfulness in my head is a bit amusing when I let it out it in the open, isn't it?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I can't add anymore than has already been said... but I just wanted to say that I did my first 5k back in April and I am SO glad I did! I really enjoyed it - it really felt good. You are going to have fun! You are going to feel amazing after! (and during!) People are friendly - they will cheer you on and encourage you!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote