Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #1  

Talking What are your FITNESS goals for 2009?

I am always saying every year that I, OF COURSE, want to lose 30 to 50 lbs. OK, but then you start trying to be better on diet and exercise, the weight doesn't seem to come off fast enough and I get disheartened and give up. SO, I have decided that I will make FITNESS goals for this year, not just weightloss goals.

So here goes:

Currently a pansy at jumping rope. GOAL: Improve Jump Rope Coordination and Capacity.
Currently a pansy at running distances. GOAL: Run a mile in under 8 minutes.
Currently a pansy at push-ups. GOAL: Be able to do 30 REAL push ups in proper form at one time.

Of course, my added goal for all of these is that I be able to do them without passing out, puking or dying. To sum up: Kill the pansy! ROCK THE JUMP ROPE! 8 MINUTE MILE! 30 PUSH UPS!

Alright Ladies (and Gents)! Let's Have it! What are YOUR FITNESS GOALS for 2009!?!?
LanMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Very good question, mine are:

1. Run 1000 miles.
2. Run my first race in a respectable time.
3. Exercises consistently through out this year, meaning at least 4 times per week.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-20-2009 at 03:35 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/138/130

Height: 5'5

Good goals! Mine are to get my personal trainers cert. and to look into fitness posing! I have fat to lose yet in my mid section...so i guess thats a goal too!
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

My goal is to do a 10k in under 60min. I haven't figured out a strength goal yet, any ideas?
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #5  
=D

Hrmmm..... good question indeed.

This is the first time I've thought about it in a while, I always think my goal is to progress.

I guess for now:

Increase my lactate threshold
Add at least 75% to my current bench press load.
Be able to do a chin up.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledOne View Post
Not really a goal but I would like to like to exercise this year!!
But really........
I am doing a toning class and I want to be able to 1. do what everybody else is doing without modification 2. I want to be able to do more than 5 pound weights in that class!
This is an awesome goal, I'm also doing a toning class and would like to increase my strength and improve my form as well.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-20-2009 at 04:28 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd like to run 8k.
I'd like to learn how to rock climb.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #8  

Wink Great responses! More, More MORE!!!

Yay! Great goals ladies! Man, I envy you runners. I want to be able to run so badly I just suck at it so majorly right now. I had an irregular heartbeat when I was a little kid and so my dad (also my doctor at the time) made me take a note to school that I wasn't allowed to do anything too strenuous. A rumor got around that I was this frail kid and I was apparently going to drop dead of a heart attack any time.

In high school I was in advanced P.E. and but I still couldn't run a mile in under 10 minutes. I never took it seriously then though, when I was thin. Now that I am overweight I tend to pay a little more attention.

I am loving the response! Please more more more!!! Let's do it right this year ladies! As Jillian Michaels says in the 30ds workouts, "No phoning it in!"
Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Running
  • add a 4th day
  • add distance (work up to 5 miles)
  • improve my pace (goal 10 minutes/mile)
  • run an official 5K

Yoga
  • improve my backbend
  • develop my headstand *without* a wall,
  • learn the handstand (with a wall )
  • learn crane pose
  • work up to at least a real half lotus
  • bind in marichi 3
  • reach the floor in seated wide leg forward bend
  • most of all, start meditating!
  • and start a breathing practice

Lifting
  • start! (next week) (I just got New Rules of Lifting for Women, and resistance bands, and will pick up one of those big ball things this weekend)
  • be able to do 10 traditional pushups
  • be able to do a pullup
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #10  
Busy Mommy

S/C/G: 218/181.5/130

I want to exercise consistently....3 times a week for cardio and strength training 3 times a week.

Currently I am exercising for 30 min each time but I want to be up to 60 min each time without feeling like I'm dying.

I would also like to take an aerobics class and feel confident through it.
nicki rose98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #11  

Unhappy Confidence for me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki rose98 View Post
I would also like to take an aerobics class and feel confident through it.

NO JOKE!!! That is an awesome goal. I am going to my local fitness club and doing a Body Attack class on Thursday night. The last time I went with my friend about 2 years ago to a Body Jam class (Dance) and bumbled through about 20 minutes before quitting and having to wait for her to finish. I was really irritated. I hope Body Attack won't be a repeat of that!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #12  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

These are the goals I would like to reach by July 2009. After that, I hope to get pregnant so my goal will be to just keep up with walking and swimming.

- Bench 75lbs
- Squat 50lbs (I could probably do more but I don't have a squat rack at my gym...so I don't know how to get around that.)
- Deadlift 125lbs
- Be able to do a pull up on my own
- Be able to run 3 miles
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #13  
Busy Mommy

S/C/G: 218/181.5/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanMyers View Post
NO JOKE!!! That is an awesome goal. I am going to my local fitness club and doing a Body Attack class on Thursday night. The last time I went with my friend about 2 years ago to a Body Jam class (Dance) and bumbled through about 20 minutes before quitting and having to wait for her to finish. I was really irritated. I hope Body Attack won't be a repeat of that!!!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Right now I'm doing aerobics style classes at home and the machines at the gym. I just got two dvds from the Flirty Girl Fitness collection and did the first one today. I had a lot of fun doing it and felt sexy...although I would never have felt that way in the class in front of other people. I want to take Body Combat and Zumba classes at my gym...but that may haveta wait. LOL
nicki rose98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #14  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I had to think about this one for awhile.

Already I'm able to push through 45+ minutes on the treadmill at 3.5-4.0 incline with speeds of 3.0-3.8 mph. That was my first goal. Tall and fast!

I've always wanted to run and this year I'm determined to learn! I can run two minutes without stopping now!

I want to build muscle. I'm investing in some resistance bands because I'm really self conscious about the mirrors in the gym and I don't like doing weights by myself at the gym. The bands are super portable and don't take up much room (thank god) so I can even bust them out at work.

Yes, I want to lose 30-50 pounds this year. But before that happens I have to ready myself with the tools to do so, and I think my goals are just perfect for that!
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #15  
FB

Hmmm. Fun thread!
  • Really transform my body with my weightlifting.
  • My trainer and I are training for a figure contest. Do it, then not compete last minute. It's just for us, raising the bar on our appearances.
  • Learn to swim. Real swimming, laps - not floating around.
  • Ride the local MS 150.
  • Take lessons for something new. Just to try it. Fencing, martial arts or rollerskating are my current considerations.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote