Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #16  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Reading everyone's goals is so inspiring! I am just starting back to exercising after a 4 yr hiatus, so my goals are pretty simple:

--- go to the gym at least 4 days a week for 1 yr (that's how long my contract is, and I am hoping that if I make it that long, I will make it longer)
--- reduce to a weight that I feel comfortable enough to go to the kickboxing class
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Well...since i have my own elliptical machine at home my goals are:

30-45 minutes 5-6 a week on the elliptical
Be able to perform 20 push-ups non-stop. Real push ups...not girlie ones
Lift weights 3 times a week.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanMyers View Post
Yay! Great goals ladies! Man, I envy you runners. I want to be able to run so badly I just suck at it so majorly right now. I had an irregular heartbeat when I was a little kid and so my dad (also my doctor at the time) made me take a note to school that I wasn't allowed to do anything too strenuous. A rumor got around that I was this frail kid and I was apparently going to drop dead of a heart attack any time.

In high school I was in advanced P.E. and but I still couldn't run a mile in under 10 minutes. I never took it seriously then though, when I was thin. Now that I am overweight I tend to pay a little more attention.
I couldn't run a minute straight when I started! When I did a running program our trainer made us do the 'shuffle' instead (aka run super slow that you could walk the same pace) for the first few weeks and then you just get faster without noticing.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #19  

ANELEH: Thanks! What a great tip! What is the worst is how much my feet start to hurt in such a relatively slow amount of time while working out. Do I just keep working out and this will build up my tolerance? I hope so, I've got pansy feet! Ah, POOP!
LanMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

hmm do you have good shoes? If you do and they still hurt try running on softer ground maybe? Or it might be that they just need time to adjust.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #21  
Busy Mommy

S/C/G: 218/181.5/130

For some reason i just can't run. i feel like a wild giselle on the treadmill. i'm terrified i'm gonna trip and fall off the thing...like that smiley...lol! that's why i do the elliptical
nicki rose98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #22  

I've enjoyed reading about everyone's goals!

I also want to improve in running, I would like to be able to jog for 20 minutes without stopping. My problem is that I give up if I get even a little tired. I'm currently working my way up, I started with jogging for 2 minutes, walking for 3 and now I'm up to jogging for 3 minutes, walking for 2.

I also want to tone my arms. My overall goal is to workout consistently, at least 3 times per week.
mctinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Hope you don't mind me jumping in....

Everyone's goals are amazing...

I took the plunge and signed up for a race with a friend so my biggest goal this year is to be able to complete the race.

I work out 5 days a week right now and I am working towards 6 days a week - right now my 6th day is mainly yoga - if I do a run or strength training it kind of throws me off for the rest of the week.

So - complete the race and build up the stamina to do 6 full workouts a week.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 130/123/115

Height: 5'5"

Well, my long-term goal is to run a marathon. Right now, I can run a little under 3 miles straight. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do a marathon but I'm hoping within the next 2-3 years!

I want to start doing weight training and/or bodyweight exercises like pushups 3 days a week.

I want to be able to run a mile in under 8 minutes.

Last edited by MadelineinVA; 01-29-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: clarification
MadelineinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #25  
back to balance

Great thread idea!

Running:
- work my way up to 3 miles again, then 5 miles
- increase my speed
- run at least one 5k race this year

Yoga:
- side crow
- headstand
- overall balance

That's it for now! Maybe I'll think of some more. I do want to try some other fitness classes and types of exercise, so I guess that's a goal too - try at least four new types of exercise/classes - e.g. kettle bells, some sort of dance class, martial arts... any suggestions?
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Heffalump -

I used to do Tae Kwon Do and really enjoyed it.... several years ago my kids took Juka and I was able to join in on some of their classes it was a blast.

But, the one thing that I really enjoyed once upon a time was a belly dancing class that I took.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #27  
back to balance

Belly dancing!

Yeah! That's something I've wanted to try for ages, thanks for reminding me. That or classical Indian dance, although it's a lot harder to find classes for that...
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote