Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 10:50 PM   #16  

I forgot! My rotation this week:
M: FIRM Basics: Fat-burning (FB)
T: FIRM Basics: Sculpting w/Weights (SWW)
W: FIRM Basics: Fat-burning (might have unplanned rest day )
Th: FIRM Basics: Sculpting w/Weights
F: Planned rest

If I don't get to work out on Wednesday, I'll just do 2 FB + 1 SWW this week rather than 2 of both. I think I'm realizing that my original goal of 5 "official" workouts was definitely too ambitious for my schedule.

Good luck to us all this week!

-copperblu

P.S. On healthy eating front: Had my Kashi GoLean for the first time today -- yummy! Can't argue w/ 10g fiber, 8 g protein, /and/ tasty!
Also, I've started cooking again, which always helps both DH + I lose weight, because otherwise we're eating takeout. ANY food I made would likely be better, and I always make low-cal, low-fat food at home. Most of my recipes are coming from The Golden Door cookbook -- all under 400 cal per serving w/neglible fat. I definitely recommend this book -- and especially if your significant other is a more adventurous eater than mine.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:27 PM   #17  
Losing it!

Morning!

Heres my rotation for the rest of the week

TUES - step workout; abs; lower body toning
WED - Firm Basics: Sculpting w/ Weights; abs; stretching
THUR - Tae bo/Crunch workout; abs; upper body toning
FRI - Firm Basics: Abs, Hips, Thighs; abs; P.M. Yoga
SAT - walk; abs; arms & shoulders heavy weights
SUN - REST

Yesterday, I had a good day. I tried a new Firm tape and was happily surprised that I could do it.

copperblu those KashiGoLean bars sound great. I could really use an extra 10gms of fiber in my diet. Where do you find those....health food or grocery store?

Marvin Maybe that's my problem with going t the gym. We hava family memebership at the Y and I guess if it was just my membership I would feel obligated to go or cancel the membership. But since so many people are on our plan I feel like my little share of the price is negligible. But I did register for a weekly water aerobics class at the Y. More to get my mother to exercise, really. But I hope that once I get there I'll be able to get a swim a few laps in as well. Swimming....cardio without the sweat.

------------------
Mony
179/165/135
valentines day goal - 164

Progress not Perfection
Old 02-13-2001, 09:45 PM   #18  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hey Copperblu! Congratulations on the 2 lbs! That's awesome! Just think... you're no longer carrying around two sticks of butter! (That image always makes me giggle -- imagine two lumps of butter (with foil!)stuck to your hips/butt/whatever!)

You know, the best feeling is, that I'm noticing that I am eating less portion wise. It just seems that less food fills me up now! It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to notice, and I feel GREAT about it!

Good for you, MiniMony, on getting your mom out to the gym. That's how my mom and I started. We both work for the Town and get our swimming privileges free, so we started going lane swimming in the mornings before work. But, it was too easy for me to cop out and sleep in rather than get moving. I am NOT a morning person, at all! That's why I LOVE Curves so much! I have been thinking lately about starting to swim again though. I really like to swim and it's a great non-sweaty workout -- I just have to get myself motivated into going again. Hmmm, maybe once it warms up a little - I hate -20 C weather!!

Copperblu - like MiniMony, I am interested in the Kashi stuff too. Like how much $ and what kind of stuff you can get. Is it just bars and shakes? I am using SlimFast for breakfast right now, but variety is good, and I can never seem to get enough fiber in my day.

Do either of you use a program to keep track of calories, etc..? I use Dietwatch (www.dietwatch.com) and I find that it helps me stay in control.

Anyway, I must be talkative today! Have a great day!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-14-2001, 01:11 AM   #19  

Hi guys!

This will be the all-Kashi post -- other news to follow.

It can be really hard trying to fit enough fiber into your diet -- ESPECIALLY if you're trying to meet both fiber AND protein requirements! I've had a hard time getting enough protein in my high-fiber diet attempt, which is why I was interested in the new Kashi.
The Kashi GoLean is a /cereal/ actually, not a bar, BUT they do make bars! I found the cereal in my local grocery store, but I don't know if it would be everywhere -- I'd try a natural foods store, since Kashi has been making "hippie" cereal of various kinds for years. It cost about $4 for a box, and each box has 10 servings in it. Of course, those are NYC prices.
Regarding the other GoLean options, Kashi makes shake mixes + protein/fiber bars, both of which are reputed to be very tasty. Those are also very high in protein and fiber, like the cereal. If you have all 3 during the day, you actually end up meeting both fiber + protein needs through the Kashi stuff alone, which boggles my fragile little mind.
You can actually order all three things off the www.Kashi.com website. They sell week-long trial packs of 1 box of cereal, 7 shake packs, and 7 bars for $25 or so. They were recently running a special, where you got $10 off when you ordered 2 packs, so it might be worth looking into. I think shipping is also free right now. I ordered a trial pack, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll probably get it in time for next week though, so I can let you know!

Thus far I really like the Kashi GoLean cereal -- it's really light + crunchy + puffed. It's not very sweet, but it has a hint of sweetness + doesn't taste like tree bark like Shredded Wheat. I've also tried it dry as a snack, and it seems to taste sweeter when dry.
Old 02-14-2001, 01:30 AM   #20  

And now the non-Kashi post!

MarvinTM: 2 sticks of butter! That's great! I'm going to remember that one!

I check in sporadically at Dietwatch, but I've never really made use of its diet capabilities. It seemed really complicated to me!
I do keep informal track of how many calories I'm taking in, and I make a note of how much fiber + protein I've gotten during the day on my own. I'm not as strict about recording exact calories though, because I know nothing /really/ has EXACTLY 443 calories. I just try to get a general idea of how much and keep it in the 1400-1600 range. I pretty much throw it all out the door on the weekend though -- I try to eat as healthily as possible + pick the least of the evils, but there's generally no way for me to know exactly what I'm taking in.

MinyMony: I've found that days off seem good at the time, but ALWAYS make me slack off even MORE! I have a hard enough time coming back from my planned rest of the weekends! Unless I'm sick or really really sore, I try not to take random rest days, because they throw me off my game, so to speak.

*Foodwise: Went out for a business lunch yesterday, and while it was delicious, it unfortunately blew my diet plans. Grr.
*In exercise news, Monday's assignment was completed! Another check mark!
*In bad news: I was early enough this morning that I /could/ have gotten off at an earlier subway stop + walked the extra 10 blocks (which I do sometimes for extra exercise)m but I was so tired that I wimped out. Blah.
Old 02-14-2001, 08:08 PM   #21  

I'm such a chatterbox! Where are you guys?

Wednesday check-in: did Firm Basics: Sculpting w/Weights last night! I'm especially proud of that, because I was exhausted (DH's job has been keeping us both up way too late) AND I had to cook dinner. I spent about 2 hours cooking, and DH wasn't home yet, so I decided 'what the ****?' and got out my weights! Yay!

I love that exercising diminishes my appetite so much -- I'm easily satisfied with a small dinner. If I could only exercise in the middle of the day too!

How's everyone doing?

-copperblu
160/158/130
Old 02-14-2001, 09:45 PM   #22  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hi all!

I am sooooo exhausted today! Tuesday night is our bowling league night, so we're out a lot later than usual, and as a result, I am usually really tired on Wednesdays. The good thing is that bowling does count as exercise, not like aerobics or anything, but much better than sitting on the couch watching TV!

Had another excellent eating day yesterday -- well within my alloted calories and fat, still a little low on fiber, but a bit better than usual. Had an exceptionally great workout at Curves yesterday too. They put up a board showing how much some of the members have lost, and that encouraged me a lot, because I want MY name up there!!!! And it will be eventually! Anyway, I got really pumped up and it felt great!

MiniMony - 2 HOURS COOKING! I'm lucky if I can make 30 minutes on workdays! Congrats on getting out the weights instead of just "relaxing". That's wonderful!

We went to Subway for dinner last night before bowling (Tuesday tradition) and I found myself ordering a 12 inch sub instead of the 6 inch I have found myself getting full on the past few weeks. It must have been an aotumatic response to say 12 inch, when I only wanted half of that! Anyway, I only ate the one half, and saved the second for lunch today! Yum!

Well, I'm getting antsy to weigh in again, but it's that TOM and I KNOW that I'm retaining water like crazy! So, I'm trying to put it off until next week.... otherwise I'll get discouraged when the scale doesn't show what I want to see. Oh well....

Talk to ya later!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-14-2001, 10:51 PM   #23  
Losing it!

Hi guys,

Hey, Copperblu deserves the congrats for that marathon cooking session. I haven't cooked in days. I really need to plan a healthy meal tonight.

I'm still on the lookout for that Kashi cereal. My diet focus this month is to up my fiber intake. Unfortunately the only Kashi I've seen at my local grocery store is the honey puffed kind. That's only 2gm of fiber. So I'll keep searching. BTW - thanks for the link.

I'm so excited that I made my Valentines Day goal. That's the first mini-goal I have ever made. I though I would never make it when TOM reared his ugly head. I went up to 167.5 last week but this morning I just seemed to float back down to 164.

Exercise check in - 2/13
A.M. 32 min step workout
P.M. 6 min abs; 10 min or so of Rachel McLish lowerbody.

Have you guys tried the Rachel McLish In Shape exercise tape? That is a killer and I was only using 2-3lb weights. I think I need to return it to the library and try again in a few months. She is incredible.

I missed my workout this morning...so I'll have marathon session this evening.

------------------
Mony
179/164/135
valentines day goal - 164....yes!
st. patricks day goal - 161

Progress not Perfection
Old 02-15-2001, 01:14 AM   #24  

MinyMony: Congrats on meeting your Valentine's goal!!! That's GREAT!
I haven't tried the Rachel McLeish tape -- it sounds interesting! I've just gone on a marathon buying spree w/Firm tapes however (they were so cheap! i couldn't help it!), and will have to work my way through those before getting any others!
I'm sorry you haven't had any luck finding the Kashi at your store -- FYI, I know that www.netgrocer.com carries Kashi GoodFriends, which has 8g fiber + 3g protein. Less protein that GoLean, but still a good source of fiber.

MarvinTM: Thanks for the congrats on the cooking. Usually I can't be bothered with recipes that long during the week, but since I already had lasagna made from the day before, I had some free time and was cooking for the /next/ night, so it didn't matter if it took forever. It didn't seem that complicated on paper, but when I got down to it, all the steps seemed to involve chopping various things + sauteeing in stages, + roasting items + what-have-you. For some reason it just took forever!
Congrats on the great workout + the fun bowling! MUCH better than sitting in front of the TV!
I love the Subway subs too -- I was so happy to discover that, after I thought I'd inadvertently eaten something /horrible/ for me, the Honey Mustard Melt wasn't that bad at all! It's no lentil soup, but it won't kill ya.
And hey -- I'm sure you'll see your name up on that bulletin board soon! Keep on movin'!

I said I wouldn't weigh myself until the end of the week, but I couldn't resist! The 2lbs are still gone, + I'm holding on to that, because I know that often adding weight workouts results in NO loss on the scale (and depression!),while meanwhile you've dropped inches! I know how it works, but I'm still a little hung up on the scale, so I'm trying to keep myself in check. I did measure 2 weeks ago, and I'm allowing myself to measure again this week. We'll see!
Old 02-15-2001, 02:18 AM   #25  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Congrats, MiniMony, on meeting your Valen-tinies goal! That's great! Did you notice that I've joined the St. Petite's Day challenge? I have to thank you for inspiring me. What a great bunch of supportive people over there!

I've never seen the Rachel McLish tapes. They sound a little intense to me! I have a few assorted tapes, mostly aerobic and step workouts, and they're all collecting dust on my shelf. I just cannot motivate myself to workout at home. Oh well, that is why I joined Curves!

Copperblu, I know that I said just this morning that I wasn't going to weigh until next week (after TOM is gone) but I can't resist! I'm going to weigh myself at Curves today so I can have an accurate weight to start my St. Petite's Day challenge at. Oh well, maybe I'll have lost anyway! We'll see.....

MarvinTM

------------------
166/162/130
St. Petites Goal - 158
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-15-2001, 09:38 PM   #26  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Good morning!

We had a staff breakfast this morning (pancakes & sausage) so I'm feeling a little stuffed right now! Pancakes always make me feel a bit bloated! The sausage was really lean too, so it was a pretty good breakfast!

Had a pretty good workout at Curves too yesterday. I did weigh myself and as I suspected, it was up. 163.5 instead of 162! Got a little depressed even though I know that I'm bloated from TOM. I'm not going to pay much attention to that reading though, and will weigh again next week, when I'm not TOM anymore! Oh well...

How were your days?

MarvinTM

------------------
166/162/130
St. Petites Goal - 158
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-16-2001, 01:29 AM   #27  

MarvinTM: I hate that stupid scale! I can't stay away from it, even though I know it lies! Isn't it horrible how a slight increase on the scale, even one with a good explanation, makes us depressed? Even when we know we're actually doing well? Grr.

I have been desperately craving pancakes for the last MONTH it seems. I don't know what is up with that! I found a good recipe for whole-wheat pancakes though, and maybe I'll make some this weekend. With lean sausage of course! Mmmm.

As I suspected, no workout last night. Not because I was out gallivanting (sp?) for Valentine's Day...but because DH came home! After several days of getting home at 2am, he made it home right when I did -- so of course we lazed about on the couch + cuddled instead of working out! That's ok -- I'll definitely take DH being home over being home along all the time w/all the workout time I want.
Good news is he brought home a sixpack of beer + I really wanted pizza...but I didn't have any cider with him (I like hard cider instead of beer), and I got up + finished making the super low-cal, low-fat enchiladas I'd started the night before. And had those instead! Only 400 cal + full of veggies!

Now I just have to motivate to work out when I get home tonight! I'm feeling so tired + floppy ... I'd better start chanting my little "you will work out!" mantra to myself right now!
Old 02-16-2001, 03:35 AM   #28  
Losing it!

Afternoon ladies!

Well I've been slacking the last two days. I've been really good almost consistently for 7 weeks in order to reach my mini-goal. Last night I ate a little steak and a lot of shrimp scampi with glee. Tonight I'll get my sub fix in. And then tomorrow I'll have to be strong and steadfast...ready to start fresh with clean eating and exercise.

The scale is my nemesis - I really try to stay off it and weigh once a week. But I never seem to manage that somehow. Plus I just recently found out my old home scale was 10 lbs too light. Now that was depressing!

I found my Kashi - so I'm all ready for kicking off my next mini-goal tomorrow. A month to lose at least 3lbs and get in 25 gms of fiber per day. Wish me luck!

Copperblu - if you are interested in mini-goals please check us out at St. Petites Day over on the Support Forum. Marvin and I have both made pledges for this month.

------------------
Mony
179/164/135
valentines day goal - 164....yes!
st. patricks day goal - 161

Progress not Perfection
Closed Thread