Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

Default anyone who does regular pilates/yoga?

hi!

i do a pilates dvd that has 3 workouts, 2 half hr ones, one concentrates on arms and abs, one on legs and abs, and then a 15 minute quicky workout which does a bit of everything but mainly legs.

i just wondered what kind of results i can expect from doing these... right now i cant do some of the exercises even in the beginner position.. i simply cannot support my weight.. will this improve? and how fast realistically?

also, what kind of weight loss results can i expect by using pilates? it is something i enjoy, it does get my heart rate up and i sweat to... so i know its doing me some good right?
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

My second week in I started doing yoga first thing every morning, about an hour, so I've been doing it about 2 weeks now. I do lots of standing poses, and I'm including arm and core work, so I'm building a lot of strength and endurance. Of course, I was in terrible shape to start, so practically anything would kick my butt at first.

But after two weeks I've seen a big difference. Instead of feeling like I'm about to pull something and hurt myself with every pose, I feel like I can at least approximate a rank beginner's version of the poses And I am definitely already building endurance in the poses holding up my body weight. And while I'm not terribly flexible yet, I'm already better, and I'm not stiff and tight all the time.

I can turn clear around to look back while driving without sending my neck into a spasm :-) I can reach up more easily. I can squat and get back up more easily. I'm more comfortable when I go to bed. It really feels good, and I've only made a little beginner's progress.

I think progress will more gradual from here on out - just like with the pounds, the first few weeks seem to respond the fastest.

But I've been noticing small improvements (both in my practice and my daily life) every day since I started.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Pilates and yoga are both something new I added when I began this journey in July (at 215 lbs and 50 years old).

BOTH are keys to my weight loss success.

Yoga has helped with my flexibility and balance. It has stretched my muscles and helped with my arthritis. When I first started, I bought the necessary props - strap, wedge, and blocks. All 3 help me keep the integrity of the pose. Gaim has "Yoga: Conditioning for Weight Loss". It is a wonderful DVD with 4 camera angles for every pose. You pick your angle - beginner thru advanced. I STILL use the beginner modifications for a couple poses.

Pilates - I laughed myself silly the first time I tried these. I couldn't do many of the poses - c'mon - spring up into a v sit from lying down and HOLD it? You've GOT to be kidding! But, I kept plugging away at it, and now there is not a move that I can't do. And - pilates has greatly helped with my core strength. I can't believe the difference it has made in helping build strong, lean muscles.

That was my long-winded way of saying, don't give up. BOTH are worth sticking with it. If I can do it, you definitely can!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #4  
Stepping Up

thanks so much for the replies!!

a few years back i was excellent at pilates, and it definately helped me lose weight... im enjoying it alot and since i have lower back issues anyway that i have to see a physiotherapist for, working my core will only improve that i guess...

i dont really enjoy running, or any other exercise so i think i shall stick to this for now!
Old 05-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #5  
trying hard!!!

S/C/G: 180/173/130.. trying hard!!

Height: 5'0

I have recentely started to use pilates about a week ago. I love it. I don't know how much it is helping me, but I do feel the burn! It is really hard but maybe it will be worth it.
noahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #6  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I've been doing Pilates for about a year and a half. I really think it's helped me get the most out of all my daily activities by training me to focus on different muscle groups and pay attention to my posture and my form.

As far as how quickly things will happen for you, I don't think anyone can answer that. It depends not only on how frequently you do Pilates but how good your form is. I wouldn't focus so much on speedy results but on the process. Are you in your core throughout the work? Are you keeping your hips and shoulders squared or slumping to one side? Are you breathing? And so forth.

I think it's a great addition to your program for flexibility and body awareness. But if you're looking for calorie burn as well, you'll probably want to get some cardio into your routine as well.

Last edited by 3Beans; 05-04-2008 at 06:42 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #7  
Stepping Up

right then chappies... quick update!

ive been doing the workouts for the last week and a half and ALREADY i am able to do more reps of some things, and do some positions i was unable to do before... feeling a bit pleased with myself...

have got a cardio cruiser machine so i am going to add that in now too!

i am having an issue with on eof my hips though.. i get a funny tingly nerve twitch in one hip/groin area on one side, and that hip seems to click alot when im doing things, it is also alot tighter and stiffer than the other side. im going to mention it to my physio in a couple weeks when i go back but i just wondered if anyone else had issues like this?