Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default Threadmillers - did you have any joing problems?

I am feeling a bit down this morning. Yesterday, I was on the treadmill in the morning and was feeling fine, but when I walked the dogs after work, I started to feel pain in my hip joints. I took a bit of a rest and then tried to do some gardening but after an hour (of very light activity) I had to drop it because my right hip really hurt.

I am feeling slightly better this morning although the hip is not ok yet. I planned to go to the gym at 5:30 am, to do elliptical and weights, but I decided that rest is imperative. Believe me, I did not skip the gym because I was lazy or had jitters about going. I recently started doing treadmill almost every day and on Sunday night, I jogged 30 minutes, which is quite an increase from my (so-far) usual 20-21 minutes and I guess it was too much.

I know treadmill is high impact on joints, but I have never had any joint issues before in my life.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I am just the opposite actually. My hips are fine on the treadmill but they hurt something horrible after trying to run out on the road. There is to much crown and you can't find a flat place to walk and one leg is always higher than the other.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #3  

When you say you do the treadmill every day are you running every day? ... Even seasoned runners don't run every single day, only every second day ... If you want to do some cardio daily I would suggest something less high impact on alternate days, like the elliptical

I used to get hip pain after running and then a PT advised me stretch more after running and it solved the problem almost overnight... I love to do Yoga after running it gives an extremely good stretch ...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Ilene,
Yes, I was running every day. Foolish, huh? I do realize that now. I am going to switch back to every other day (once I can start jogging again, that is) and carefully maintain it. Drat! I actually started to like it!!!! Hard to believe, but true.

But now that I have a gym membership, I gotta put that to a good use. I did go tonight and did 20 minutes on a stationary bike, but very carefully. Then I did some upper body weights.

Zinkemomx2,
I don't run on the road yet. I have been doing treadmill only. One day, I hope to be good enough to run in public.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Zinkemomx2,
I don't run on the road yet. I have been doing treadmill only. One day, I hope to be good enough to run in public.
I never said I was good at it. Where I live there are only two roads to run on. Our .75 mile dead end dirt road or the main highway. I won't run down to the dead end part because the weird neighbors always want to stop and talk. That only leaves me with .5 mile and I get bored going down and back repeatedly. I would rather watch something on TV in my climate controlled living room that has no bugs.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote