Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #46  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I ran outside tonight! Got out early from work, and I thought I had enough time to do a 3 mile run before it got completely dark. Unfortunately, I missed a turn, and ended up doing 4.9 miles... in the dark, while wearing black, in a strange city on a path I don't know!!! Scary, and very dumb of me. It all worked out okay, but I don't think I can try running after work anymore, even if I get out early like tonight. I wish we didn't have daylight savings so I could still run in the mornings

The good news is, I ran at an 8:58 pace, and it felt very easy and relaxed. Kara, I totally agree - it's weird that 5 miles feels like nothing to me, whereas a year and a half ago I couldn't even run a mile!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #47  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenestealer View Post
I ran outside tonight! Got out early from work, and I thought I had enough time to do a 3 mile run before it got completely dark. Unfortunately, I missed a turn, and ended up doing 4.9 miles... in the dark, while wearing black, in a strange city on a path I don't know!!! Scary, and very dumb of me.
OMG! Very dumb indeed! DO NOT make me come up there and whip your tale young lady! Don't you ever do that again. Laura have you looked in the mirror lately? You are a very pretty girl and I know you turn heads. I don't want you doing things like that and turning the WRONG heads! Ya got me feeling all motherly here, lol! I DO have a son your age...anyways, please don't do that again. You may not be so lucky next time.

Helen, i hope your leg niggle is all healed up for your race this weekend.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #48  
TBL Red Team Member

I thought I had time to run before it got dark but I completely underestimated. I definitely won't do it again, Roni, you don't have to worry. Thanks for the concern

This morning I did 1/2 mile on the treadmill as a warmup to my weight lifting. However, I did a 7 minute pace! And I was able to keep it up. Now granted, that's only 3.5 minutes... but I'm thinking maybe if I start doing that every morning and trying to go for an extra 15 seconds every day, I'll eventually work myself up to a faster pace permanently. We'll see!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #49  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 235/194/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jamsker8!! and everyone!! I did it! I got on the treadmill, and instead of walking...I started jogging/running! I tried to do the Couch to 5k! but found I can run more than their initial start up...SO...im going to look into the C25K weekly plan (if there is one) SO, yesterday...I ran at first 1 minute, walked 1 mintue, ran 2 mintues, walked 2 mintues, ran 3 mintutes, walked 1 mintue, and ran 4 minutes, walked one minute, ran 4 and walked 1 minute, ran 4 mintues and walked to cool down 5 minutes!!!! SOOO...technically I ran 20 minutes.. he he...SO I think Im going to stick to the 4 minute goal for the week...doing it 5 times....I know I can do it!!! I think next week I will try 5mintues...not sure though, I will definetley look into a weekly work up... SO just so you guys know...I am sooooo happy to be running, right now...Im eating healthy...but mostly Im excited and looking forward to running..yesterday I did the running and right after did a Dance Fit class....60 minutes of non stop jumping around...YEAH...not the same day I do my running...ive decided...i was beat!!! BUt today im not going to run, even though I want to....I promised a friend I would try Fusion with her, a class that works the core, cardio using palates, yoga and who knows what else...im sure it will kick me in the butt!!! Im so happy Im moving again!!! I love it! I honestly believe I wouldnt be doing ALL of this with sooo much goal setting or motivation if it wasnt for this site!! This site is like a lifeline for me!! I love everyones advice, stories and chit chat!!! : ) I couldnt be happier!!!
mamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #50  

So, I just reviewed the Cto5K...and I will just start myself at week 4...im comfortable with that for now, I will probably do week 4 next week as well, and start week 5 the following week...I think thats reasonable....hmmmm...im again not trying to do tooo much at once, but bcs I know I can run, its hard to only run for the shorter periods...maybe than I should just speed up???...Right now Im running slow...so maybe if I followed the Cto5K...than maybe I should run with a bit more speed???? I dont know, whats more important...speed or mileage? or is that a personal preference...i think I heard speed can always be worked on later...no?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #51  
TBL Red Team Member

I think speed vs mileage is kind of personal preference. Personally, I've focused on increasing mileage, and am now trying to up my speed. If you're running primarily to lose weight, I think this method makes more sense, because you don't burn THAT many additional calories from running faster as you do from running farther. However, as you transition to running because you love it or running to do a race, running faster may become more of a priority. YMMV.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #52  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Did 30 minutes Walk/Jog on the TM. I went a little faster today.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #53  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mamac,

Sounds like a fine plan. I did some similar tweaking to the schedule, to do what was comfortable, and to make it easier to remember. Glad you're having fun with the workouts! And, congrats on your first day back at running!

I did 45 minutes this morning, just practicing holding a steady pace, so I hopefully won't muck it up in the run this weekend. I have to ride with my sister, because my van won't be repaired by then. I'm more stressed about possibly getting stuck riding shotgun with her half the day than I am about the run, lol. She's one who can turn a simple trip into a 22-stop errand marathon..."just one more stop, well, then I HAVE to go by the bank, and drop a movie off, oh, and we need milk...just be a quick sec!"
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #54  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Cheryl, you crack me up! I hope everything goes well with your sister and her ride this weekend!

Laura, glad you made it back safely!

Roni, you are officially our "mother hen"!

I got in six miles this morning, cruising through town bopping along to my music. 50:58! I couldn't believe it! That's almost five minutes less than my last six miler a couple weeks ago! My husband just got home from Korea last night, so I think I had a little adreneline in my corner...

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #55  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Kara - I have been meaning to ask...how did you arrive at your year mileage goal? For a long time I thought it was 1000 miles, but realized it wasnt.
I added up all the miles in the training schedule I got from marathontraining.com and that's how many miles I'll run before I run the marathon in September. Who knows what happens after that!

It does look like a random goal, doesn't it?!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #56  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingtolose View Post
Hi ladies,

I have a question. I have been running for about 13 years but have never been able to increase the size of my stride. I seem to short step my stride and it wears me out very quickly. I run about a 1.5 miles 3 times a week. i used to run more and hope to increase it again over this summer. I would like to be able to run a marathon one day. But I know I need to find a way to increase the size of my stride to be able to train properly. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Dawn
Oh...but I forgot the biggie..run hills. Running hills strengthens the legs and lengthens the stride AND cadence
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post
My husband just got home from Korea last night, so I think I had a little adreneline in my corner...
, Kara!

Does anyone wear glasses while running? I developed a corneal ulcer in my right eye, and have an infection in my left eye so no contacts for a while. I ran wearing my glasses today, and they got so darned fogged up. I kept taking them off and wiping them down while I was running (obviously today was not speed work). It was quite annoying so I'm wondering what other people do about wearing glasses and running? Maybe I just sweat more than other glasses-wearers.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #58  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Kara, so glad your dh is there with you. WTG on the 6 miler time!

45 mins jogging for me last night. My next "run" will be the 5k on Sunday..wish me luck!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #59  

Hey Sheila 53...I wear glasses all the time...even in the past when I biked and ran, this time I havent fogged up yet cause Im inside...im assuming , BUT...I did way back than and found that anti-fog cleaner for your glasses might help.....good luck!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #60  

Hi guys...so I ran again this week..(2x's) today will be day 3 of the week! I went to the gym 4 days in a row...2 running, three classes...Im just curious of what everyone did to start out!? If you remember...how fast did you start out running, how fast do you run now..ie. speed and miles/kms?? and other types of excercise programs you did alongs side your running! RIght now I am experimenting with different classes...so far I really love Yoga, and Fusion (a mix of yoga, pilates and core training)...and running three times a week...to start...Im wondering if there was other excercise programs people did to build up their core or muscles??? Im not really into lifting weights...only bcs of the menotany...I was thinking the Fusion and Yoga would be good enough for now...with the help of resistance to build muscle?? What do you think? AND...do you run and do muscle/resistance training on the same day? I heard not to...??