Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #1  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Default Cool Runners - December

So Lisa, did you get the Garmin? I want one but can't justify spending the money on it at the moment. Maybe if I ask nicely for christmas...

Anyway, onto my run this morning. I decided to solve the long run or time trial dilemma by doing both! I ran 4 or 5 miles down to the park where the time trial was, ran the time trial (5k), and then ran back home again.

But even more excitingly than that... I won it!!! Well, the ladies race anyway. I finished in 22:52, which is probably one of the slower winning times they've had, but I don't care! I started off pretty conservatively, but picked off a few people by the time I got to the end of the first lap. One of the marshalls shouted that I was third woman at that point. There were two more laps, and I picked off one of the women ahead of me on each lap. I caught up with the one who was in the lead at about the 4k mark and tried to decide when best to time my push as I'm no good at sprint finishes so knew I had to get some daylight between us before we got too close to the line. I saw a bit of a hill coming up, which is actually when I find it easiest to open up some ground, so I went for it and got enough of a gap to hold her off. I think in the end I finished a fair distance ahead of her, which was nice!

Then I ran back a trickier route through the woods, had to walk bits of it because there was mud covered with a layer of leaves, and you couldn't see what you were about to stand in, but in total I must have run about 12 - 13 miles in total.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #2  

Way to go!! That is awesome! As I posted in the challange thread. Im trying to get out before the snow comes it. I don't mind running in the snow. But I think there is some rain mixed in and I hate cold rain on my face. Well this week I have another lesson in Chi Running. This will be my third. I love it and it has helped me to run longer and more efficiant.
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Helen, you're so fast!!! Congrats on the win!

There's snow on the ground here at the moment and it is NOT inspiring me to go out for a run. Something about going out for a run in the snow seems slightly inhuman!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I quite like running with snow on the ground (as long as it's not falling). It feels all wintry, and you get that smug feeling when you get back in. You just need the right kit (and even that is only believing you have the right kit sometimes. Sometimes I get all kitted up in loads of layers I don't need because I won't go out of the house unless I think I'll be warm, even though I'm actually too warm once I get moving. But if I only had the kit I actually need I wouldn't get out of the door because my brain would persuade me it wasn't enough. I'm sure that makes no sense when you look at it logically, but it works for me).

Last edited by YP1; 12-01-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #5  

i ran last year when it was 5 -10 degrees...Helen is right...it is all in how you dress.....But it is still cold no matter what!
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Helen, 22:52 is a great time! Especially since you ran some miles before you got there!

And no, I didn't purchase the Garmin myself, but there's a chance my husband did and will give it to me as a surprise for my birthday or Christmas. I don't think he did, but it would be nice!

Did a nice easy 4-mile run this morning. It's nice that my slow, easy pace (it was around 10:30 today) is so much faster than my fastest pace was just a few months ago.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #7  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I am so happy that Week 4 of C25K is done. Its been the toughest in that in weeks past I knew I could finish. This week I kept thinking I'm not gonna make it. I never stopped though I did the entire run/walk as outlined. Okay I start Week 5 on Tuesday. We'll see how that goes. I'm a little concerned but what can I do...I'm determined to complete this program so all this complaining along the way is a bit useless.

Helen--Congrats on winning!
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Morning all - just posting as a check-in - I AM still alive!

My running really fell by the wayside throughout October - well, all my exercising, really - but I picked it up again in November and built my distance back up to four miles three or four times a week. It's been amazing how much better I feel getting back to it! I didn't even know I was missing it - !

Sounds like you are all doing well, and I am very glad to read it Have a great Monday!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Hi! I am new to posting to this thread. I read it all the time though! I started running about 9 months ago. I love it! I actually can get cranky on the one day a week I don't run!

I have built up slowly. I love to run, but I am definately NOT a natural! I am up to 6.4 mi and it takes me 1 hour 10 min to do it. I have a 10k this summer that I am doing and I hope to do it in under 1 hour. Even if it is 59 min and 59 secs!!

I just did a 5k this week end in 28:48 . The last one I did in Sept was 31:57. So I am slowly getting faster!

I love reading all your posts! They help alot! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Starting week 2 of C25K today... SCARED SCARED since I've NEVER been a runner!! eek!!

Week 1 was fine, but for some reason moving on makes me more nervous than starting!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #11  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Last night I ran on the treadmill, and it was just a terrible workout. Usually the first mile is the hardest because I just want to give up, but then I settle into a rhythm and feel like I could go forever. The furthest I've ever gone is 10 miles (doing a race in the Adirondacks), but I've never finished a race and felt so wiped out that I couldn't take another step. I do always do a final sprint in when I'm doing a race, so I am temporarily tired at the finish, but a few minutes later I've recovered and I feel like I could run it again. Clearly I am a distance runner, not a speed runner - if only I could get myself to put in the time to do that!

Anyway, last night I didn't feel like going to the gym at all, but I forced myself to go down. I started running, did maybe 3/4 of a mile, and just felt tired and not into it. So I alternated running and walking for about 30 minutes. I pushed the incline way up when I walked, just to give myself a little bit more of a workout, but it was a pretty lazy workout for me. Around 2 miles, I felt a little bit of pain in my right shin (I sincerely hope I am not developing shin splints - never had a problem with them before), so I immediately took it down to a walk rather than do more damage. Later I ran a bit more, and my shin was fine, so hopefully it was just some kind of momentary annoyance.

Anyway, I usually run 3 miles at about an 8:15 pace (though last week I had an awesome day where I did 2 miles at 7:45!). Last night I clocked in at exactly a 10 min pace (average of the running/walking), and I just didn't feel good about that. Tonight is going to be an elliptical night, but I think I'll maybe jump on the treadmill for just one mile at my usual pace to try to make myself feel better.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Laura, hope your elliptical workout was a good one. I used to do the elliptical a lot, but I can't seem to force myself to do anything but run these days, and I can't force myself to do it on a treadmill because it bores me too much! Sometimes I'd like to escape the cold but I just can't -- not until there's actual ice on the road or something!

jellybelly, welcome! Your 5k time is a good one! My goal for my next 10k is to run it under an hour too -- it's on April 5. We can do it!

artsnsmarts, don't be scared -- you'll be fine! I'd never been a runner before either, but I became one. And if I became one, anyone can!

Ran 4 miles tonight but it was a struggle for some reason. Ugh. I was really tired. Unfortunately I won't be able to run tomorrow, and I couldn't yesterday. Bad running week. Sigh...
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Hi Lisa and thanks for the welcome! I am hoping to get closer to your times for my runs!

I am starting to see some improvement lately though. I have been trying to vary my work outs. Speed work one day a week, hill work another, 2 long runs, 2 easy runs and a day off. It seems to help. Today I did a 3 mile easy run on the treadmil. I can only go outside 2 days a week when the DH is home to watch the 4 kids, that is when I do the longer runs. Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

I did it!!! it was hard and I had to take an extra 30 seconds of walking time on one section, but I did it!! :-)
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #15  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Hi all, I've been offline for a few days because my grandma died on Monday night, so I've been over with family. I've actually found running has helped a lot, giving me a bit of space to clear my head. I went out for about 7 miles yesterday morning, and have been out for a club run tonight now I'm back home, it was nice being with people but not having to really talk to them if you know what I mean. You know they're there, but don't need to make too much of an effort.

Good news though, I think I've got a place in the London Marathon! It should be confirmed in the next week or so.

Last edited by YP1; 12-05-2007 at 04:44 PM.