Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #76  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Bugger - took my run outside and really seem to have hurt myself... managed 1.5 miles and limped the rest of the way home

I shall ice and rest and see what damage I've done... poop.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #77  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Heather, that inhales. I hope it is just a minor, quick-healing injury. A little ibuprofen can go a long way.

I had a better run than I planned to have today. I went to the gym and got my superstitiously-favorite treadmill. I did my warm-up, went to potty and came back thinking, "Heck with this, I will just go to the elliptical and be done." As I thought about why I did not want to run, I realized it was fear of failure. "Just don't fail. It is that easy."

So I ran my 20 pretty easily. I decided to call it quits and started the cool down. Then all this happened in my little head:

What are you doing? You are not sore, winded or tired. Start running. (so I did).

Go for three more minutes. (I did)

You can make it to the five. (I did. Then I started doing math in my head about tenths of mile in how many seconds and how far and long, etc etc etc. Remember--the treadmill would tell me all of this, but I am a number cruncher by nature.)

Kick it up to 5.6. See how you look at 8. Eight will be 28 minutes total. Are you some sort of weenie? Just don't stop. All you have to do is not stop. (I make it to 8)

Your longest is 29 minutes, surely, you can do that. And if you can do nine, then do 10. (At ten, I was at .8 something miles)

One mile. All you have to do it complete the mile. Can't do it? Make it to .95. (I did) All you have is 5 one-hundredths of a mile and you are not sure you can make it? Seriously? Are you that pathetic? What is your prob..... (I hit the mile at 11:01 and hit the cool down button)

31 minutes!!! If my head would just grasp that I can do it without stopping, I could do three miles. While calling myself names works sometimes, I am thinking about asking people on treadmills around me to insult me. "In two minutes, could you look at me and tell me that I am a pathetic lump? Thanks."

"If you see me hit the cool down button before 30 minutes, could you sneer condescendingly at me and say something like, "On your way to Burger King, Pudge?"

"When I slow down, could you whisper to your friend over there, 'I knew she wouldn't last' and then laugh?"

Maybe there is a podcast out there to humiliate runners into performing better!
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #78  

Height: 5'7"

ennay, who's in charge over there? Don't answer that!

Heather, rest up.

Onthetee, congrats on your groundbreaking run! Make sure that you stop talking that smack to yourself now that you've done it!

Oh yeah, no running for me today. I biked and swam. Off to find a biking thread...

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #79  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
While calling myself names works sometimes, I am thinking about asking people on treadmills around me to insult me. "In two minutes, could you look at me and tell me that I am a pathetic lump? Thanks."

"If you see me hit the cool down button before 30 minutes, could you sneer condescendingly at me and say something like, "On your way to Burger King, Pudge?"

"When I slow down, could you whisper to your friend over there, 'I knew she wouldn't last' and then laugh?"
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

onthetee, I loved your post!

Heather, I hope everything's ok! Take it easy!

I only ran 1 mile yesterday with the cross country team. Our workouts are starting to include different stuff and I'm having a hard time getting any kind of distance in except for once or twice a week, but I'm ok with it for right now. I kind of wanted to decrease my mileage after the half anyway.

Taking today off and then going to try for a long run tomorrow.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #81  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

22.22 hellooooooo taper I am so glad you are here!

Maintained my pace and some decent hillwork in there. And DOGS...man the dogs were out today.

Last edited by ennay; 09-15-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #82  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

My routine has been somewhat disrupted this week by family stuff. I'd planned 20+ for today, ended up doing 17.1. But I'm happy with that because I was in a situation where I'd normally do nothing, so 5 miles would have been an achievement let alone 17 (I was staying with my grandparents and as I'd gone over there to deal with a crisis felt bad about staying out longer than two and a half hours or so). Also, it was a conscious decision to do a shorter run, and I felt like I could have kept going at the end if I'd had the time, which puts it in a different category in my head to the 17 mile runs where you run 17 instad of 20 because you can't face taking another stop. So I'll take that, but really need to get a decent run in next weekend as that's my last real opportunity before starting to taper.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Quote:
22.22 hellooooooo taper I am so glad you are here!
You and me both Ennay! Just finished my last long run - 20 miles, and I am very happy to be at taper time too.

I actually felt the worst at the 16 - 18 mile mark, then seemed to pick up again toward the end, which is unusual - typically, it's the last mile or so that I find the hardest. Whatever, I feel good that it's done, and I can relax a little before 26.2.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #84  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Thats kind of how I was...18-19 was really tough, and then it got easier. But I am usually like that, I am like a horse headed for the stable as soon as I cross the last highway and I know I am only 2.5 miles from home
Old 09-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #85  

Did my anniversary 5K today. 39minutes and change. More than 9 minutes off my PR, but I figure the 50lbs of stroller and kid gave me a handicap. I did run all of it, exceeding my expectations, except the usual walking at the aid station, and the last quarter mile or so was on grass, and running with the stroller there just wasn't going to happen. DD was asking to run, so I pulled her out of the stroller about a block from the end, and we ran across the finish line together. I gave her the medal, and she was very proud and happy with it.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #86  

Congrats, Anne!!

I didn't get to do my long run today. If I don't get up early, it just doesn't seem to work out. We were out most of the day and I had to squeeze in a quick 3 miles before dark when I got home. It was definitely a QUICK 3 miles, though -- the fastest I've ever done. I ran it in 27:26. I don't know what got into me. I had all this energy all day and I was dying for a run, so I just burned it up. Also, all those faster runs with the cross country team are helping me build my speed.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #87  
rswlchic

S/C/G: 246/206.8/160

Height: 6'

Hello all,

Thought I would join your thread. I am new to 3FC and am looking for some motiviation. I am working on my first 1/2 marathon. I trained once before but got injured after building up to 9 miles. Presently back up to 5 miles. As a matter of fact I ran my first 5 mile rd race this weekend and finished in 49 min and 20 secs. This is a personal best.

Well that's all for now. Hope you guys don't mind if I post my two cents every now and again.
rswlchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #88  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Welcome rswlchic!!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #89  

Welcome rswlchic!!

I ran a total of around 3.3 miles with my students today, and the first 2.25 miles were TOUGH. We did a workout my husband and I discovered called "killer dillers," which is basically a fartlek type workout. You alternate short sprints with short jogs on a track without stopping for 20 minutes. Your recovery jogs are so short that you can't really catch your breath between sprints. It's pretty tough and the kids complain, but it's a great workout. After that, we ran a mile through the trails.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #90  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

I did a 1.3 mile run today with little to no pain, except being out of breath. Once I hit the 1 mile mark (where I have been stuck) I was running out of time before the bus came, so I sped through the last .3 miles as fast as I could, which apparently is a 10 minute pace. I probably could have lasted longer, but I was out of time and I'm not in a rush to hurt myself again. Enjoying the running again without pain is a nice change! Wednesday I will again try for 1.5 miles and see where I end up.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote