Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #91  
I am Resilient

S/C/G: 227/ticker/160

Height: 5'10''

Hi everyone! I'm a new runner and I'd love to join you here if you don't mind! When I was younger, I despised running. However, as I've grown, I'm becoming more and more curious about the exercise that manages to relieve stress, is a relatively easy way to a calorie deficit, and requires no equipment (other than a good pair of shoes). I began by using Cool Running's couch to 5k program, yet I prefer to run hard intervals. I signed up for my first 5k on October 7th and I'm really excited! In the short 4 months that I've been running, I've seen quite the definition in my legs and a slight reduction of body fat. I'm looking forward to sharing my running triumphs and woes with all of you here! Hope you don't mind another newbie on board!

Last edited by kmelody; 09-17-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
kmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #92  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Welcome kmelody!

cakses - glad to see things are getting back on track

ran 5 this morning...it felt weird to stop that soon!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #93  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello everyone.

I really couldn't face running last night. I got to running club, sat in the changing rooms and just knew that I didn't feel good enough to go out there. I always feel guilty when I skip a club run, particularly if I haven't run the day before, but I'm learning to know when I'd be better resting, which is good.

The good bit is that I did 7.1 miles this morning instead. I call it mental training - because it was actually really cold when I left the house, and I froze on the bike on the way to the gym I decided not to go for a run outside, but to do an hour on the treadmill. That thing is way too boring, but I stuck with it to the end which I'm quite pleased with.

I've got a club handicap 10k race tomorrow which hopefully I'll feel a bit more up for, a 5 mile race on Saturday, a long run on Sunday and a big half marathon next week so I've got a busy couple of weeks coming up.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #94  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi all!

I'm still not running - need to rest this up before I get back... and boy am I missing it!!

Living vicariously through all of you -

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Welcome kmelody!

Ran about three miles with the cross country team, through the trails in the woods. Fun stuff. Then we did barefoot 100s on the football field, and my black toenail finally fell off! It's been threatening to fall off since May, and the one on the other foot is next. The kids were freaking out about it, and one of them named my toenail and told me to keep it in a jar...

In less silly news, I think I may have hurt myself somehow. My left hamstring is constantly sore now, in an excessive way. Ugh. Taking tomorrow off because we have a cross country meet, so I'll just be watching the kids run their race.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #96  
rswlchic

S/C/G: 246/206.8/160

Height: 6'

Hey Guys,

I had my 3.5 mile run this am. Pretty good time of 36 mins. My knee seemed to hold up ok. I wanted to ask. What do you guys take for sore knees. I have been to two orthopedic surgeons, 1 chiro, had 2 sets xrays done and an MRI. All show my knees as healthy and normal. Yet I still have knee pain. My Chiro seems to think I have falling arches so I had othotics made for my shoes. This helped for a few weeks but now the stiffness and pain is back. I don't feel the pain when I am running it is mainly a couple hours afterwards and lasts for several days sometimes. Any advice you guys can give would be great.

Thanks,
rswlchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #97  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hey everyone!

I don't post here often but come here for inspiration and advice, which I need now.

I'm doing my first 5k run next Sunday but I've struggled recently. Most of my cardio is made up of running or spinning. I usually only run twice a week but I've been doing 5k for a while now. My problems are first that the last two or three runs have not been great - they've felt "harder" and my times have been so-so and I have no idea why!

I'm not sure you can help with that but more imporatantly, since it's only 5k, does it matter how much I run/exercise the week before. I really wanted to run every other day (today, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday and the Thursday) before the race. That's not too much is it??

I'm just a bit confused and my hunch is just don't go crazy before but there's no need to stop running more than 2 or 3 days before.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....Thanks!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #98  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Lisa - how's the leg today? My knee is still giving me trouble, and I am missing running like I used to miss pizza - !

Elisa - welcome, and I'm sure someone more experienced than me can help you out!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #99  

OMG! For somebody just starting out running (I can't even call what I'm doing running, I just ASPIRE to be able to run at this point!) you all are very inspiring!!!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #100  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Stick with it, and you'll be surprised how soon you get into the habit, and from there it all comes together.

I did a 10k handicap race at running club. The time they put me down for was a little optimistic, but I still overtook more people than overtook me, and finished in about 50 minutes so it wasn't too bad.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #101  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

About 7 this morning - 5 miles of tempo run in there...feeling good!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Heather, I didn't get to run today because we had a cross country meet, but my leg is still quite sore. I'll do an easy run tomorrow with the team and see what happens. The kids did really well tonight, though!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #103  

Elisa-- How old are your shoes?

If it were me I wouldn't double my mileage the week leading up to the race.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #104  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Maria - I think I will cut down that running a bit. My left shin has been telling me that maybe it's too much! As for my shoes, they're still fairly new. I only wear them to run and they've clocked in at about 200 km...still good, as far as I know.

I think I was so set on breaking my 30 minute mark that it was really stressing me out. I should just go and have fun. I also checked on gmaps pedometer site and, from what I can see, their 5k route is more like 5.5. Is that possible?? If so, even that extra 1/2 kilometer will cost me a bit of time.

I'm going to just try to enjoy myself!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #105  

In the US if your race is sanctioned by USATF (and if the race is being run/held by any good-sized organization, it should be) you can expect the distance to be correct. If not, no guarantees. In other countries there should be an equivalent organization.

You're having trouble with both knees and one shin. To me that says either old shoes, bad shoes (not right for your feet) or overuse.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote