Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Glitter, I wonder about that too. I am so afraid that everyone else is going to be sprinting off in front of me and I will be the only one lagging behind near the start line.

Cakses, I hope the run went well!

I did week 4 day 1 today and the three minutes is easy now, I even accidentally went past it the first round and then the 5 minute round kicked my butt. I made it through the first 5 min interval, but the second was touch especially since I was going uphill. I had to cut it 30 seconds early. I think I can do the whole thing next time.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Renee~I love reading your posts--you're about 1 week ahead of me, and your details really help me see that I can make it! My path takes me uphill also, but usually only the first part. I started W3 yesterday and the first set was all uphill and I didn't think I'd make that 3 minute mark (but I did). The 2nd set was a lot easier. I'm still wondering about W5.......
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #48  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Mind if I join you guys? I'm about to start c25k tonight (inspired by Allison, thanks!). I actually ran a 5k just about two years ago. I had worked up to it without a set program, and a few months after the 5k I started having knee problems. I have been jogging on and off since then but my knees have never really gotten back to 100%, so I am thinking it's probably at least somewhat because I am just jumping in and running too far without working up to it first, and that's probably what caused the problem in the first place.

So, in an effort to slow it down and really work up my tendon strength properly, I'm going to try c25k! Plus the knee exercises on the sticky thread.

Anyway I was wondering what pace those of you who use a treadmill go at. I'll be doing it on the treadmill in my gym, and I am kind of clueless. I'm wondering if I should try for 4.5mph, which is a little bit of work for me but I can sustain for at least 15 mins, or 5.0mph which I usually can't go more than 6 minutes at. Would doing it with the treadmill at 5.0 for jogging help me work up to that speed? Or would it undo my effort to fix my knees?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #49  

Jessica!!!! Yay!!! You know, I did a 5k last spring, but walked 95% of it! Haha! It really isn't all that far--walking took me, DH and DS about 45 minutes. In fact DH and I used to go for a 5 mile walk every Sunday and that is a lot farther than 5k.

I thought I had knee problems, too, but so far the running hasn't caused a problem. I used to ski as a youngster and I did tear some cartilage when I was in high school. Now my knees make a gawd-awful noise if I do anything like a lunge or squat (or even climb the stairs). I really thought it would be rough on them to run, but so far (only on week 3) it isn't bothering my knees at all.

Keep us posted with your progress! Did you download the podcasts or are you doing it with a stopwatch?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #50  

What is this podcast everyone keeps talking about? Is it timed with each week's plan? I download podrunner, but it's the same pace all the way through.

Jessica, I hope all goes well with your knees and a big WELCOME!

Allison, the area where I run is constant hills for the most part, but there is a small circle that is flat and that's where I try to stay for the most part, but every now and then I like a change of scenery and go in the hilly area, and I immediately regret it lol. But I want to be able to run all of it eventually for strength purposes.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #51  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Well I made it again - I just am amazed that I don't pass out or my legs turn to mush. Finished week 6 today with a 25 minute run which was 2 miles - WOW. I know it's not super fast, as I would like to get to a 10 minute pace for the 3 miles, but 12:30 isn't that bad either!

No more intervals from here on out, so next week it's all 25 min runs, and now that I know I can do it, I am gaining back some of that excitement! Oh, and the scale moved this morning - I am 213. I am hoping by next week or so I can be out of the 210s!!!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #52  

Yay cakses!! Congrats!!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #53  

Quote:
I actually ran a 5k just about two years ago. I had worked up to it without a set program, and a few months after the 5k I started having knee problems.
Since injuries kept you out of running already maybe it's a better idea to listen to your body rather than following a strict (and very fast-paced) schedule like C25K. Unfortunately it's pretty common that the excitement of running pushes newish runners to do more mileage than they should, and within the first few months they're injured.

If it were me I'd start with 15 or 20 minutes of walk/run intervals as comfortable then increase no more than 10% a week in total time or distance, and maybe take a week every month or two without any increases, just maintaining previous time/distance.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #54  

The podcast that I use is found on www.ullrey.net. He made them several years ago and they follow the CoolRunning c25k program. The music is all techno and pretty fast paced to help keep you going. He chimes in now and then to give you encouragement, but mostly he just chimes in to say that it is time for a run, ready? Go! And then he comes back on when you go back to your walk. Usually is is the final run of the day where he comes on to say things like, only one more minute--you can do it! Kind of cheesy, but it really, really helps me.

I was thinking this morning that I've NEVER been a runner. I remember in junior high school, we had to run a mile ONCE A YEAR! My kids have to do it weekly in junior high now!! Anyway, I remember how hard it was to do that! Then in high school, I'd see people on the cross country team running and running and I thought I'd try. I don't think I could make it half way around the track! It was pitiful! But now that I'm "training" and taking it a little at a time, it seems to be working. I've now completed the 2nd day of W3.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #55  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Pretty sure Glitter is doing her 5K today -how'd it go, Glit-girl?? Waiting to hear...
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #56  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Hi everyone! Mind if I join you guys? I'm about to start c25k tonight (inspired by Allison, thanks!). I actually ran a 5k just about two years ago. I had worked up to it without a set program, and a few months after the 5k I started having knee problems.

Anyway I was wondering what pace those of you who use a treadmill go at. I'll be doing it on the treadmill in my gym, and I am kind of clueless. I'm wondering if I should try for 4.5mph, which is a little bit of work for me but I can sustain for at least 15 mins, or 5.0mph which I usually can't go more than 6 minutes at. Would doing it with the treadmill at 5.0 for jogging help me work up to that speed? Or would it undo my effort to fix my knees?
I go at 5.4 on the treadmill. I am faster on the street. If you want to do one of the races in Indy this fall, PM me. Are you a talker? I run best when I have a chatty cathy with me!
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #57  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Unintentionally finished week six. I did the 25 minutes like it was nothing. Three days ago, I only did 15 out of guilt. 2.3 miles, so I know I will be ready for a 5K next month!
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #58  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

woo hoo we are all doing awesome!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #59  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

You guys are all doing so great! I just finished week 1 last week, but haven't started week 2 yet b/c I went out of town. I'm going to try to start tomorrow morning, but forgot to bring my iPod with me and am afraid I'll have a hard time with nothing to distract me!
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #60  

Quote:
The podcast that I use is found on www.ullrey.net. He made them several years ago and they follow the CoolRunning c25k program. The music is all techno and pretty fast paced to help keep you going. He chimes in now and then to give you encouragement, but mostly he just chimes in to say that it is time for a run, ready? Go! And then he comes back on when you go back to your walk. Usually is is the final run of the day where he comes on to say things like, only one more minute--you can do it! Kind of cheesy, but it really, really helps me.
Thanks allison, I just downloaded it. I am going to try it out this morning. That will get rid of the annoying stop watch!