Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #46  
For Real This Time!

Height: 5' 4.5"

Can I just say that this thread scared the crap out of me?? (no pun intended ) I just started taking Xenical 2 days ago and I wanted to see what others who have taken it thought. I saw lots of horror stories here and questioned whether or not I should take it. I did take it and I had a little bit of an overactive urge to "go" but nothing major. I have had no side effects today. I asked my doctor and he said that the side affects take a week to 2 weeks to disappear and that in some cases it can take a few months but that is rare. My BM's are fatty but that is what Xenical does, it blocks the fat from being absorbed by the body and carries it out through your stool.

I kind of wanted to post this in case there are others like me out there who have seen lots of horror stories and question themselves. I will post more later on this thread once I get a few more weeks under my belt (which will hopefully be smaller ) and let you know how it goes as far as weight loss.

Last edited by mamabear272; 01-16-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #47  
For Real This Time!

Height: 5' 4.5"

OK I am on day 6 of the Xenical and the side effects are gone. my stools are still a little fatty but not loose or runny and I have not had strong urges to go. I am thinking that if this works then it is definately worth it!! Will keep this thread posted on the results.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #48  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Xenical DOES work! I have read this thread and have completely lost my appetite . I think I'll bookmark it and read it every time I have the urge to start snacking (a lot cheaper too!) No offense intended - the image of someone pooping themselves in front of the congregation had me in stitches

If it works for you - great - but I couldn't imagine anyone taking it for more than a few months. I wonder if the manufacturers have any stats on how many patients kept the weight off for more than a year after using this drug?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #49  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

yes i am taking the pills right now with my low carb high protein plan,its really helping alot.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #50  

Smile

Xenical was suggested by my doctor on Friday as a booster to help me with my initial weeks of weight loss. I was going to get the pills next week and probably still will but am very nervous of the side effects. My doctor told me just to make sure I keep under the 30% fat range and I should be OK. He said not to bother taking it at breakfast time becuase my fat intake for that meal should not be much at all. Because I work full time, I'm not going to take the pill at lunch time - only at dinner time when I'm at home. I would be absolutely horrified if 'something' happened at work after my lunch.

So after reading this thread, I'm thinking I will do the WW thing as well. My hubby has to lose weight too but his doctor did not talk to him about Xenical and hubby is not a fan of taking anything like this. So, I'm going to get back into WW, think about Xenical to help me along for the first 4 weeks and see how I go.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #51  
*The Mighty Power Piglet*

I got put on Xenical two weeks ago and haven't had any accidents, I've also had a 10 lb. weight loss, but I don't know if that's the Xenical or the Metformin (I'm insulin resistant and I have PCOS, so if any of you ladies have PCOS and have a large amount of abdominal weight, have a c-peptide blood test done, the insulin and ovary problems are usually intertwined). But by god does it work though, I used it when I ate spaghetti the other night and oh lord, I didn't realize how much fat was in the foods I was eating. But with this stuff, as my doc said, "dont trust a fart".
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #52  

Default Xen over the counter

hi,
I just heard on the Today's Show news that Xen is being considered as an over the counter drug in half of it prescription strenght.
wdls46
Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #53  
it's always something

I heard about that and think it's a horrible idea. Imagine the potential for abuse by people with eating disorders such as anorexia.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #54  
prepare for the BEST time

I disagree.....Xenical only blocks about 1/3 of your fat intake (this is the 120 mg. dosage per pill)...taking more (abuse) will not affect the fat intake and make you lose more weight.....it has no effect on carb. intake whatsoever (according to CNN). it only works on your GI tract and has no other side effects to raise BP, HR, etc.

If you eat low-fat and modify your diet, it's a helpful tool and the side effects are minimal....if you eat a bacon cheeseburger and fries and hope to stem the damage....well, you'll spend the next 2 hours in the bathroom....and have to worry about.....*anal leakage* as the directions say.

When I've taken it, the fear factor keeps me honest about my diet....
Old 01-23-2006, 11:45 PM   #55  
GARDENING ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys
If you eat low-fat and modify your diet, it's a helpful tool
If you eat low fat then why would you need this drug in the first place?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #56  

I heard today that Xenical may become available over the counter. I sure hope people understand the side effects and take it with caution.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #57  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

i use xenical and i am sooo happy its going over the counter,now maybe i can afford it!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #58  
Empress/Queen

I agree with 2BFit1 ... if the only purpose of xenical is to block extra fat, then why not just eat less fat and save the money on the xenical for a great new workout outfit!

Ok, I went beyond 2Bfit's point. I have a pretty open mind about these pills when under a doctor's supervision and I realize this discussion is ongoing on this forum ... which is good, because we all have differing opinions ... but honestly I don't see the point of xenical. If it makes one ill when eating a bacon cheeseburger, well, why not just NOT eat the bacon cheeseburger and skip the xenical? Or have a small turkey burger on a whole wheat bun with bacon bits sprinkled on and a nice slice o' tomato on top ... and skip the xenical.

And if one has to eat something really high in fat, which sometimes I do, then why not just have a smaller portion, save the rest for another meal ... and skip the xenical?

I can see the point of a prescription drug that might help people with major obesity problems control appetite long enough to get some weight off for medical reasons. But personally, from what everyone says in these discussions, the purpose of xenical seems to be to hand out a license to eat fat ... OR is it that it's like some meds for alcoholics (which I don't actually know if they use anymore) ... knowing that it makes them sick if they take the drug and drink, the theory is that they avoid drinking ... the problem is that the theory usually doesn't work ... people tend to avoid taking the medication rather than avoid the drinking.

I guess I don't understand.

If there were a pill that actually allowed me to eat and drink as much as I wanted of anything at all, without any pesky consequences, such as weight gain, diabetes, heart disease ... or in the case of xenical, this possible digestive thing ... I'd be in line with my credit card out ... but guess xenical isn't it ...

IMO it doesn't matter whether they sell it over the counter or not, it still sounds not very useful.

All this is just my opinion and not meant to sound combative. I am just late for work and cranky.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #59  

I still think the best way is the no pill way - lost 200 pounds without them, just WW and I've kept it off. What happens when you quit taking the pills?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:36 PM   #60  

reading the article about the over the counter prescription form of Xenical said that it is only effective for 6 months and they do not recommend consumers using it for more than 6 months.

Other than having a greasy butt from the fat disposal, how does it help? Do you have to stay on it forever? What is the maintenance program?

Please be careful taking these pills. It seems like every pill that has been put to use has been taken off the market not long after for unbelievable long term health risks. Just be wise. You know your body. What works for me, may not work for you. I am in favor of losing weight and if that is what it is gonna take for you, then do it, just be mindful of what you are putting in to your body.(and in this case, of what is coming out! )
Closed Thread