Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 08:00 PM   #1  

Question Anorex?

I have seen a few pop up ads and it sounds great, anyone here tried it?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

If it's that great, why do they have to advertise? It has a most unfortunate name, I'm afraid. As Mrs Jim will say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS! There is no magic pill or I'd be skinny.

Read the post by Jackslady below re the answer to permanent weight loss.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Jeez, not again. I haven't seen the NEW popups but last year they had quite the little advertising campaign - are they still selling it for $100+ a bottle?

Unless they've changed the formulation (as many have now) it's your basic ECA stack (ephedra/caffeine/asprin) with a few other ingredients added for a 'bells and whistles' effect.

If, indeed, they HAVE changed their formula - I'll bet it's the same stuff they're now using in Xenadrine and Hydroxycut (who just announced changing their formula). There is an interesting article in a recent issue of Glamour - I think it's last month's issue now - about Ephedra and the companies that peddle it. Check it out!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:57 AM   #4  
star bellied sneetch

The drug name is Leptoprin. The choice of retail name is unfortunate. They can argue that the root of the Greek word "anorexis" loosely means "without appetitie" but it's pretty obvious what they were going for. No one would market "Gay Pills" as something to make you happy, as a chunk of society would be up in arms. Likewise, marketing a drug with a name associated with an eating disorder is also completely reprehensible.

It sells usually for about $154 a bottle and comes "without a prescription." Yeah, on the internet, you can still get Phentermine without a prescription. Yes, while its counterparts, fenfluramine or dexyfluramine were the cause of the heart damage, I wouldn't doubt that Phentermine had at least a little to do with it.

Anorex also comes with this warning, which, to me says "If you're breathing and want to remain that way, maybe you shouldn't take this drug:
Quote:
WARNINGS: Do not take this product if you are taking MAO inhibitors or a prescription drug for anticoagulation (thinning of the blood), diabetes, gout or arthritis or any other prescription drug unless directed by a physician. Do not take this product if you have any of the following conditions: high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, thyroid disease, prostate problems or diabetes. Improper use may be hazardous to your health. Keep out of the reach of children. Consult a physician or licensed health care professional before using this product if you have, or have a family history of, heart disease, thyroid disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, recurrent headaches, depression or other psychiatric condition, glaucoma, difficulty in urinating, prostate enlargement, or seizure disorder, or if you are using any other dietary supplement or over-the-counter drug containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine (ingredients found in certain allergy, asthma, cough/cold and weight control products). Exceeding recommended serving may cause serious adverse health effects including heart attacks and stroke. Do not take if sensitive to or if allergic to aspirin. Do not use if pregnant (it is especially important not to use aspirin during the last 3 months of pregnancy unless specifically directed to do so by a physician because it may cause problems in the unborn child or complications during pregnancy), nursing, have asthma, or have stomach problems (such as heartburn, upset stomach or stomach pain) that persist or recur, or if you have ulcers or bleeding problems, unless directed by a physician. If ringing in the ears or temporary loss of hearing occurs, consult a physician before taking again. Discontinue use and call physician or licensed health care professional immediately if you experience rapid heartbeat, dizziness, severe headache, shortness of breath or similar symptoms.
And if you're really upset about the name of the drug, Anorex, you can write to the company that manufactures it and chose the name here:

Klein-Becker usa
5742 W. Harold Gatty Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
Phone: 1-888-340-1628
Fax: 1-801-517-7001
email: [email protected]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Leptoprin = KB's fancy name for their ECA stack.

I just did a websearch and found that info...

Nutritional Facts

Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Servings per Container: 90
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calcium (amino acid chelate) 264mg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin B6 25mg

Anorex (Leptoprin) A proprietary blend of the following: 989mg

Acetylsalicylic acid 324mg ** otherwise known as aspirin!

Caffeine (34mg from standardized Kola Nut (280mg) 200mg **

ephedrine Alkaloids (exclusive 10% extract from whole plant Ma Huang (200mg)) 20mg **

Kelp(0.15 Iodine) 100mg **

Green Tea(leaf) Extract (standardized for polyphenols/catechins content) **

L-Tyrosine **

Cayenne (fruit)

Let's compare that to Hydroxycut, a popular ECA stack that retails for $39.99 for 140 capsules (but that you can find much cheaper if you do a little Web shopping)...

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 23

Chromium 300 mcg

Hydroxycut Proprietary Blend 2.9 g

Hydroxagen (Garcinia cambogia) (fruit & rind) Standardized for 1000 mg hydroxycitric acid

HydroxyTea

Guarana Extract (seed) Standardized for 200 mg caffeine

Green Tea Leaf Extract Standardized for 95% polyphenols [70% catechins(45% epigallocatechin gallate-90 mg EGCG)]

Ma-Huang Extract (stem & leaf) Standardized for 20 mg ephedra alkaloids

Willow Bark Extract (purple & white) Standardized for 15 mg salicin this is the asprin part of Hydroxycut's ECA stack

L-Carnitine Tartrate

Now if you're not scratching your head asking why Anorex is selling basically the SAME STUFF for much more dinero, then we have a problem.

And the name is totally disgusting. I guess the marketers are thinking that women would LOVE a pill that makes them anorexic! If you go through the forum threads here back to last year, you'll see that this is nothing new - they tried pulling this crap last year. K-B also marketed the 'Cutting Gel' which is an expensive gel that supposedly burns fat when you rub it into your skin (yeah right).
Old 02-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #6  
it's always something

When I watched their commercial, I was so upset... Knew it had to be a scam. I visited their website and there was no mention at all of the ingredients. I wrote them and requested it, and a week later they finally sent it. I have the labels from both versions of Leptoprin and plan to publish something on the site about it. What a ripoff! It's also sooooo dangerous.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:16 PM   #7  

Well I got a bottle for 89.00 and Well energy levels are off the charts, and I am only taking two a day they say to take 4 if I took 4 forget it I would never sleep again!
I have used them now for 3 weeks I think and so far have not lost a pound. I never had much of an appetite so as far as being hungry I am maybe a bit less.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:46 PM   #8  

This is my first time posting on this site. I just joined!!! Here is how I "found" you- I saw the TV commercial for the 153 dollar diet pill (Leptoprin), and quickly ordered by phone.

As an RN, I wanted to know the ingredients I would be putting into my body. The "sales expert" told me they "don't say as it is a secret patented formula"..

Am I DUMB, desparate or what?? If it is PATENTED, that would be more reason they could post ingredients without copy-cats.

I decided to do an internet search, and 3FC came up with info that turned me back to my usual mindful self. I cancelled my order.

Weight loss is such an emotionally-charged issue to me that I- albeit temporarily this time- want to believe all the Madison Ave crap, the "before" and "after" photos.

You reading this must recognize me, as I think most of us beautiful, smart, independent, wonderful women have fallen prey.

I am just grateful I found this site and that I have chosen to continue my healthy diet/exercise plan rather than paying 153 dollars for a bottle of dangerous drugs.

I love and respect myself today, whether I weigh 200 pounds or 125 pounds. Thank you all!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:13 PM   #9  
That's HOW many points??

Good for you Enja!!! I'm glad you decided to do this the healthy way and not believe all the hype on Leptoprin. That is not a safe way to lose weight!

ANOREX??? My G*d, what kind of reputable company would name a diet pill this??

This is a classic case of

Caveat emptor!

Bravo to those of you who have decided to do this in a healthy manner. It CAN be done, regardless of what companies like this will tell you.

Last edited by RaiderMom; 07-06-2003 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

OT question for RaiderMom...

Now just WHAT are you doing in Michigan?!?

You're supposed to be HERE in the BAY AREA!!

Old 04-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #11  
That's HOW many points??

Have you ever SEEN the Lions play???
Old 04-20-2003, 11:58 AM   #12  
Body-for-Lifer

The lions are pretty sad, makes me embarassed to live in Michigan
Atleast we have 2 decent teams: The Pistons and the Red Wings...
Old 04-20-2003, 12:00 PM   #13  
Body-for-Lifer

Atleast the Lions aren't as bad as the Tigers, they're absolutely awful!
Old 04-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #14  
That's HOW many points??

You mean the "dead" wings that got swept away in a totally embarassing series against the "might ducks"?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #15  

So everything that is said bad about Anorex is basically for the regular Anorex, what about the Anorex SF? Anyone know anything about that?
Closed Thread