Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 02:30 PM   #1  

Well Joanna, I hope you are successful in finding the wholewheat pasta. Catelli makes it (don't know if that is an American brand or not). If you can't find it in the grocery store, perhaps a health food store would have it. It cooks up a little firmer that normal pasta, but tastes really good.

Tootie- Congratulations. A new little granddaughter - that is great. And a nice size baby as well. That ott to keep you busy for the next little while. Hope you are feeling ok. You forgot to tell us.

Meme - Are you getting better? You seemed more your nasty self yesterday!(lol) Hope it continues.

Ally- for the life of me, I can't remember what you posted. You were increasing the fibre in your diet. Does it work for you? I am going to move a posting from Clouds re: diet over here, because it was very interesting. Hope your son is starting to get better. How much longer will he be in the cast?

Candice. That was a pretty picture you posted. Were those flowers from your place? It must be joy to look out and see such beautiful flowers. I don't envy the work you are doing, but I do envy you being able to look at such beautiful things.

To the other Newbies, come on in and talk with us.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:35 PM   #2  

Default Re: Diet

.Someone had asked about gastric bypass surgery, and this is part of the response.

Most of us with FMS become carboholics. We are addicted to carbohydrates as a source of energy since our bodies do not function right to produce what we need. And all the excess carbs are converted to and stored as fat, but then is not metabolized so we store it and add to it.
If you have the surgery, it will be a temporary fix to a long term problem. You will find yourself fatigued because you will not be able to ingest all the energy producers you need, regardless of how hard you try. This will be frustrating. You will lose some weight, but only until the bypass is reversed. Then you will start eating again to meet your energy demands, resulting in weight gain.
Rather, it would be better to address the underlying cause, the carbo cravings, and alleviate them.
I suggest you start on the hypoglycemic diet proposed by Dr StAmand and supplement heavily with vitamins and minerals. Making the change in lifestyle to a high protein, low carb diet; followed by a return to a more balanced diet, such as the Zone Diet, once you have retrained your body, will be better for weight loss and maintenance, much healthier for you, and will also allow you to establish a routine exercise and nutritional program you can follow .
Old 05-31-2001, 03:51 PM   #3  

Default Tolmetin and Trazedone

Hi there from Mima-Trazedone is an anti-depressant which I take 50 mg of at night to help me into a deeper sleep and it seems to work-before I started taking it I slept fitfully all night.Tolmetin is for inflammation which I know there isn't any of but it works. Had a hard time tolerating the others-they would make me sleepy. Another name for Trazedone is Desyrel and Tolectin is another name for Tolmetin.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:11 PM   #4  

Fiber Diet. I still haven't gotten on the scale. I thought I would with the Mammogram, but what a lucky day. I didn't have to see that thin woman clunk that little weight thing up to 170 or thereabouts. I might be a mite bit under. I think the fiber has taken about an inch of fat from around my waist. Either that or the Ab machine.
I bought some of those elastic waist pedal pushers at K-mart and they are nice and baggy.
I just don;t want to get on the scale and get disappointed.
Happy, my son went to the Doc today. He can start putting a little weight on his leg and they are recommending therapy. Good for him, one more bit of stress for me.
You should see my cream colored carpet. There is not a spot without stains.
Yuck.
Time for a driving lesson. My other son has his test next week and he is So unprepared.
I missed a Tootie post...how did the birthing go and did the kids participate?????
Old 06-01-2001, 01:33 AM   #5  

Hmmm...no wheat, no sugar, no caffeine...so...what's left??? Oh...yes...lettuce!!!

Congrats grandma Phyllis!

I miss Candice already!

I always feel better when I eat a diet high in protein and low in sugar and carbs...but my body CRAVES carbs ALL THE TIME!!! I still can't believe I've gained 18 pounds in just 6 weeks! Part of it is the prednisone I took. And it didn't even help that much, either!!! I started back on the methotrexate last Fri. I lost weight taking that before (maybe that's why I've been gaining, too...going off it! Hadn't thought about that!)

Ally...where did you hear that you are supposed to go off the 5 HTP for awhile? I hadn't heard that!!! (I think it was you that said that...confused now that we've started a new thread and I can't look back to see who said what.)

I think this is the most new people we've ever had at once in here! The more the merrier! FYI...I'm 54, been married 36 years in July, have 2 children (boy and girl) and 4 grandchildren (2boys 2girls) and a golden retriever named Sammy (but she's a girl!) I keep 2 of my grandchildren, teach piano and do mystery shopping for several companies. (I also have an internet "business" that is doing absolutely nothing and taking up half my time!!!) I'm addicted to carbs, thrillers (books and movies), shopping, eating out and the net. I have had osteoarthritis in my knees since I was 9...had surgery on both, and have had rhematoid arthritis and fibromyalgia for about 20 years. Oh yes...and I live in TN about half way between Nashville and Knoxville...OK...now it's your turn...tell us something about you!

tootie...next time you type a long post highlight it, right click on it and click "copy"...then if you lose it you can pull the message box back up and right click again and choose "paste" and there it will be!!!

I don't feel like proof reading this mess of a message so if I made any mistakes just look over them...they surely can't be any worse than 'gegetables'.

Newcomers...here's a pic. of me and my doggie!
Old 06-01-2001, 06:51 AM   #6  

Default About me

Hi from Mima-I'm from MA.and am 62 years old.My husband died ten years ago but I was divorced before that.I was an elementary teacher for 34 years and I have a job right now correcting the MA. teacher test 8 weeks a year-they put us up in a hotel and feed us lots of good food. My only salvation is to walk a lot while I'm there.
I've had fibromyalgia since I was in my 20's and was very debilitated for 2 years in my 40's. The stress of my divorce aggravated it. And working too hard.
Right now my pain is minimal-I go to the YMCA and have joined an Arthritis in the water class. I still have to be careful because I pull muscles easily. I also walk.
I have 3 children-the oldest is married and I have an 11 year old grandaughter with Spina Bifida. They live in FT. Myers where I spend 2 months in the winter.Right now I'm looking for a little part time job to keep me from spending money and eating!!!!!!!Right now I'm 10 lbs overweight and definitely crave the carbs. Low doses of prednisone do not help.I;m trying Suzanne Somers and may go back to WW where I'm a lifetime member.Enough!It's fun to be on the message board.!Picture will follow another time as I have a new computer and am just learning how to use it.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:51 PM   #7  

Welcome Mima. I think I would like to lose 20 lbs. That would bring me to where I was when I was young and thought that was unbelievably obese.
Every weekend I have been pulling out a load of clothes from my closet to wash and then donate. All my beautiful size 10-12 dresses and sweaters. I am 45 and know I would be starting to gain weight now just with age, but I feel like this happened overnite.
I have had fibro (first diagnosed with chronic fatigue) for two years and had gained about 10 lbs when I went on Paxil and gained another 20 in minutes. I can't get rid of it.
Either I can't get the diet going at the time my pain is minimal and I can get exercise.......or I am exercising and yet still eating carbs like crazy. Just can't win.
Meme....I did read that you should take breaks from 5-HTP. I think it is because you shouldn't get your system usd to extra doses of serotonin, but I can tell that is what my body wants.
And your weight gain......ironic that it happens when you are on 5-HTP because that is what some people use as a diet aid. It doesn't help me stop craving carbs, but I do think mood and eating go hand in hand and I feel in a more upbeat mood when on this stuff.
Oh, the beloved is here to get my kids. My son's cast stinks and I tried to wash the inside of it.... Now the whole house smells like his feet.
Old 06-02-2001, 08:02 PM   #8  

Default Hi Fibrogals

Well Ally, did you get the feet smell out of the house? You are so funny! Casts do get to smell pretty terrible after awhile. Can't they put a fiberglass one on him? I just read a very interesting book called From Fatigued to Fantastic. It is written by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD - who had fm. He talks about several underlying problems that cause Chronic Fatigue and that fm is a sleep disorder of Chronic Fatigue (same disease). Once all underlying causes are treated, the fm will subside, in some cases vanish. Very interesting.

Will talk later.
Old 06-03-2001, 12:42 AM   #9  

Default CLIFFHANGER!!!

So.....what the heck is the underlying causes???
Inquiring minds want to know!!!
Old 06-03-2001, 10:40 AM   #10  

Default Whole wheat pasta found

Just got back from the grocery store and I found a brand of whole wheat pasta=Hodgson Mill-they had macaroni,lasagna,angel hair,and spaghetti-

website-www.hodgsonmill.com and a phone #
1-800-525-0177 ext.31
I live in MA.so I bought it at the Big Y but they are only in the east.Happy hunting Mima
Old 06-04-2001, 03:50 PM   #11  

Default Where the heck is everyone!!!

Hi. Mima, thanks for posting that info. In Canada, we have wholewheat pasta on just about any grocery shelf. I find it very satisfying and can't tell the difference when eating, except, I think it remains a little firmer. I hope you will stay with us. I am 55 yrs. old, have a wonderful husband and two kids. The oldest is married and my son is not interested - yet! He says a woman would just cramp his lifestyle right now. He just turned 26 so he really has his whole life ahead of him. Best do what he enjoys now! We also have a wonderful little granddaughter. She just turned 3 in April and has put a spark back into everybody's life. I have o/a and fm, and have not been able to work for the past 6 years. Have an ongoing fight with SunLife over disability insurance. It is to stressful to continue to fight with them.

Mimi - Have you hung on the cliff long enough or should I leave you hanging a bit longer I will finish the rest of my saga tomorrow, and since nobody is on this board but me I guess that will be just fine

Tootie - where have you gone? Did your grandchildren go to see the birthing? Are you helping look after the kids? What is going on with you. Come tell us, Please!

Ally - Where are you? haven't heard from you for a day or two. Last thing you said was your ex was there to pick up the boys. Did you go to?(lol)

Candice - Are you back yet?

Joanna - In case you pop in, hello. Come back to talk to us.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:25 PM   #12  

STILL HANGING!!!
Old 06-04-2001, 07:59 PM   #13  

Unhappy

Hi Everybody......No, Happy, I did not leave with the Beloved. I tell you, he gets me so miserable. I had to have a talk with my sons about his sickness (depression). They deal with him so much different than I do. I used to scream terrible thoughts in my head when he was whining and complaining and blaming everything in the world on something or someone else. My kids have started to scream at HIM. He then goes into a temper tantrum and the three of them are in a no-win little display of immaturity. So...I know I can't change him. He went to a psychiatrist once and was given Prozac, but he stopped it after a week saying it made him sleepy. So, I had to tell the kids that THEY have to change their behavior around him.
I can'[t believe I ever slept with him. Maybe I didn't. It could have been an alien abduction.
Anyway.....I did read that book, Happy. There was another one also that talked about boundaries and trying to stay within them to avoid over stgressing your immune system.
I think the underlying stuff is all immune system damage......
I got myself stressed out when a friend came over on Satruday. Ran around and cleaned and shopped, made snacks. I was so hyped and anxiety ridden that I didn't even enjoy our time together.
I used to be more spontaneous.......
Old 06-05-2001, 12:49 AM   #14  

Spontaneity hmmm...I used to know what that was! Now I do good to get done what I have to and hardly ever get done what I've planned to! I do the same thing Ally... invite company...kill myself cleaning, etc... then can't wait until they leave so I can be alone and rest! (Being alone...that's another thing I've forgotten about...along with resting...so many forgotten things!)

Last edited by MemeToo; 06-05-2001 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:51 AM   #15  

Default Trying WW

Good to hear from everyone-I couldn't stand somersizing-I was always hungry s0 I went to WW of which I am a lifetime member-I don't have much weight to lose but at my age and with the meds it comes off slowly. Anyhow I like those points-I am a math person and I feel like I have control-WEnt to a great Y class yesterday but my chronic pain in the left rib is back-that fibro-it creeps up anytime-by the way, one of the Y people says to be sure to drink water because of the muscle problem. I try but could do better. Have a great day everyone. mima
Closed Thread