Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 12:52 PM   #61  
Darts Diva

Hi All - Jim, glad your doctor's visit went well. Congrats on the weight loss!! I have slowly started to lose again - so far 5 pounds in the past month. It's been kind of humid here and that always makes me feel fat! :0

I feel rotten today. I went home sick yesterday from work. I've got a runny nose, sore throat and coughing. I took a Claritin D capsule last night and fell asleep at about 7:00 and didn't wake up until 6:30 this morning. Now I feel like I have a fever. It's times like this I wish I had a husband to baby me!

I'm going to check out those web sites you suggested. I wonder how much those stickless glucometers will cost? I do get tired of sticking myself and giving myself shots. For the rest of my life I will associate the smell of alcohol with diabetes!

Have you heard about the pancreas transplants? Would you consider having that done? My sister, who had diabetes, recently had her stomach stapled. Now she no longer has diabetes. She's lost about 50 pounds, but quit exercising so now she's all flabby. She can't eat any dairy and hardly any meat. I'll just keep on losing the hard way!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Barbi
Old 06-23-2001, 02:15 PM   #62  

Jim, I'm glad your doctor's visit went well! Yay, 10 pounds less than your last visit!

No sticks! That would be great. Since using the freestyle meter, my fingers are so much better. It doesn't hurt in the arm, but I do have all these little dots where I test!

Barbie, I guess at this point I would just keep taking shots instead of having a transplant. I don't mind the shots, it's just a pain sometimes to test and adjust a shot before you eat or do something. I test before I do anything any more, especially things like driving and exercising.

I wouldn't know how to act if I could just do what I wanted, when I wanted!

Hope you're feeling better!
Old 06-25-2001, 10:46 AM   #63  

Janet: Hi When you went to WW did you tell them you were diabetic or did you just adjust your points to the exchange program? I guess your points go down as your weight does right?
Another lovely day here today can't wait till wednesday so I can get started. Pat
Old 06-25-2001, 11:09 AM   #64  

Hi Pat,

I think I told my WW leader the first meeting when she was going over the program with the new members. She said there were several diabetics in the group.

There are still a couple of the women coming to the meetings that started around the same time I did. They are doing good with their diabetes control, and one of them had lost 76 pounds as of last month, a pound more than me. So it can be done, if you put your mind to it.I think that is the most important thing. I've stayed on program every day since I joined WW. If I'm hungrier some days than others I use banked points or earn extra activity points. I eat out a lot, like I always did. I just make healthier choices and don't go over my points for the day. And I have a calendar by my computer that I mark my OP days on. Today is OP day 525.....now I couldn't go and break my record, could I, just for an few extra bites of food? This helps keep me on track, honestly!

I'm happy you are starting Wednesday too!
Old 06-25-2001, 11:34 AM   #65  

Default ** Insulin Resistance **

I have heard people talking about being insulin resistant and thought they were shy or didn't like to say the "D" word.
I was wrong. There is insulin resistance and it's called Syndrome X.
If you have been dianosed as insulin resistant or having Syndrome X, here's some information that will help educate you about your syndrome.

This is from the American Heart Assoc.

http://www.americanheart.org/Heart_a...ide/syndx.html

This is from Ideal Vitality and has extensive explanations of the disease and treatment.

http://www.idealvitality.com/Health_...syndrome_x.htm

Prevention Magazine 4 part article about Syndrome X

http://www.prevention.com/healing/living/synx.html

And the book Syndrome X.

www.syndrome-x.com/

Hope this helps.

Take care,
- Jim

Last edited by Jim943; 06-25-2001 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:22 PM   #66  

Janet: Boy you really stuck to your guns . I hope I can do that too after all if I am paying money I want to do what I am supposed to.
I eat out quite a bit too I was thinking I wouldn't be able to much anymore but I guess I can if I watch it after I get used to the point system.
What is OP ?
No You couldn't break your record its a good one hope I do as well. Pat
Old 06-25-2001, 03:38 PM   #67  

Pat,

OP stands for On Point or staying within your point range. Janet is amazing; I'm OP for today, so far. :-)

Take care,
- Jim
Old 06-25-2001, 04:04 PM   #68  

Jim: Thanks . Janet sure is amazing I just hope I lose while on insulin as I am getting very frustrated.Well I can try anyway all Ive got to lose is weight. Pat
Old 06-25-2001, 07:17 PM   #69  

Angry

Hi there. I am new to this site. It's so cool to find a tread like this. I usually hang out on the WW boards, but variety is the spice of life, so here I am.
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 2 1/2 years ago. Unfortunately, the preganacy ended badly for us and all I was left with was diabetes. I spent the last 2 years in denial of my condition. However, this year I have turned a corner, and am now dealing with the issues surrounding my disease...my weight for one. I have been on the WW program now for 8 weeks and have lost 11 lbs. My blood sugar is under good control, and I feel as if I have some control back in my life. I have a long weigh to go, with another 47lbs to lose. I am hoping to lose most of this weight by the New Year, as my husband and I are hoping to try for a family once more.
I have a question that maybe one of you could answer. Last night I had around 4 glasses of wine throughout dinner...it was BBQ. I ended up pretty drunk. I don't think that this was an excessive amount of alcohol because in my pre ww days, I would drink more than that. Now, I have recently changed meds to Glucotrol xl. My question is, would the glucotrol have affected my ability to tolerate the alcohol, or could it be related to my healthier lifestyle?

Thanks for listening.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:57 PM   #70  

Walkingchick,

Couple of points: Wine is a more powerful drink than beer (alcohol per volume); wine is the essence of the sugar in the grape.

Did you start drinking on an empty stomach? Do you know what that wine did to your blood sugars?

For me, any kind of alcohol is a balancing act that is very tricky. I have high bloodpressure and alcohol drives it up. The sugar in alcohol drives my blood sugar up. A little drink goes along way with me.

I also try and use my WW points on something a little more filling than a drink. Look in your WW Getting Started book on page 75 and check your wine usage.

My bet is your healther lifestyle and the wine clashed somewhere in the middle.

Take care,
- Jim
Old 06-25-2001, 08:10 PM   #71  

Thanks for your advice Jim. I think you are right re the clash. I did start on an empty stomach, it's hard always remembering to drink sensibly. I am ashamed to say that I don't know what effect it had on my blood, as I didn't even think about testing. Too busy having a good time.
Alcohol is my last vice. I have kicked the chocolate, rich indian food and caffiene (SP). I am getting much better. In fact, last night was my first drinking session in at least a month. I agree that my WW points are too precious to waste. I obviously over did it and hpoefully, I have learned my lesson here.

Monica
Old 06-25-2001, 08:51 PM   #72  

Don't knock yourself.
This whole thing is a learning experience for each of us. We are similar in diagnosis, but each of us reacts to certain stimuli differently than others.
So, it's just another lesson learned. You're new at this, you're making the right steps, learning and unafraid to ask questions.
You're doing O.K.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:08 PM   #73  

Default Been away

Hi everyone. I've been away from my computer for a couple of weeks due to vacation and new carpet being installed and sure have missed talking to everyone. I've printed out the entire thread and am looking forward to reading and responding soon.

TTFN
Old 06-26-2001, 05:44 PM   #74  

Hi Walkingchick,

Welcome to the group.

Thanks guys, but I don't think I'm amazing. Just determined to keep this weight off. It would be so easy for me to gain it back if I let myself start going over my points range. And that's not even counting what it would do to my diabetes control. Maintenance has been tough enough, not the part about staying in my points, but adjusting my insulin to my increased points. I held off even starting maintenance until February (made goal in September)because I was in such a good place with my diabetes control and my BS was great. As soon as I started adding points back, it's been a challenge. I'll figure it out though, I was doing pretty good until lately. I'm trying to eat a little less daily or exercise a little more. I'll find my balance again soon.
Closed Thread