Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 12:18 PM   #31  

Barbi,

I live in Mesquite, a suburb on the East side of Dallas.

Boy, are you right about Texas weather; just wait 10 minutes and it will change. And you live in Wichita Falls, the weather pipeline of Texas. If it's coming, it goes through Wichita Falls.

Yep, gonna have to try Janet's fish recipe and prescription. Sounds better than any prescrition I'm taking now. It's worth a shot.

Take care,
- Jim
Old 06-14-2001, 03:25 PM   #32  
Rat Terrier Chick

I heard about the Freestyle monitor from Janet, here at the diabetes threads. My old monitor was several years old so my insurance company paid for all except $13. Then I received a rebate from the manufacturer so it cost me nothing. Now here is the bad news: I took my car in for an oil change and someone working there STOLE it! I usually don't carry it around with me, but my doctor said to try to test 3X a day, 3 X a week. I wasn't getting my lunchtime readings done, so decided to carry it with me. Went to get my oil change after work and when I got out of my car, I took it out of my handbag and put it in the trunk so I wouldn't have to worry about losing it in Walmart. They did the oil change etc and afterwards I put my only purchase in the trunk, a bag of dog food. I drove home, ate dinner and a couple of hours later went out to the car to get my monitor and it was GONE! I told my daughter and she said the culprit probably thought is was a wallet because the case is so small and slimline. I think she was right. I called Walmart and asked if someone "found it and turned it in" (in case that guy decided to turn it into lost & found when he discovered it contained no money), but nothing was there. My insurance company pays towards one monitor every 2 years. I used my old one for 5 years and this one only around 4 months. I explained what happened and lucky for me, the insurance company replaced it and I paid $13 again. So the moral (sp?) of this story is, don't leave it in the car during oil changes or any other place that someone might mistake it for a wallet!
Old 06-14-2001, 05:57 PM   #33  
Darts Diva

Hi Jim - I was just through Dallas a couple of weekends ago. I went to Waxahachie for Scarborough Fair - have you ever been? It was fun, but pretty darn hot! I usually have to go to Dallas for something or another at least every couple of months.

I went to my regular doctor today and yayyyyy! My BP was okay for once - 130/85. So she gave me a prescription for Avalide and I go back in 2 months. I see my endocrinologist next month. My lab work for this doctor all came back good - my BS was 94 and my sodium and creatine were good. I just hope it all stays this way.

Well, I'm off to Walgreens to pick up prescriptions. Later -

Barbi
Old 06-14-2001, 10:10 PM   #34  

Unhappy

I am so glad to see this going so strong. I've glanced here and there but never saw this list so active.

I am in serious denial about diabetes. Another words, I am not eating anywhere near right and not exercizing at all.

I need a big kick in the rear.

Also, what are your thoughts on low carbs diets. This is where I drift on and off. Is it better to do food exchanges? I would like to hear your plan for success.

Thanks, Gotta do something
Old 06-14-2001, 10:15 PM   #35  

Doin It Right,

I do a lower carb diet, it is better for your blood sugar. Just don't cut them out all together.

I will post again later....we have a BIG storm hitting and I need to shut down my computer. I was just starting to do that when you posted.

Later.
Old 06-15-2001, 09:51 AM   #36  

Doing It Right,

Same here; lower carbs, slightly higher protein, some fat in your diet and watch for hidden sugars.

You will find that a 10% weight loss will make a world of difference in your life. Set mini goals for yourself and don't load yourself up with multiple goals. Get your blood sugar under control, goal 1. That means medication and diet inline. Add exercise when you feel comfortable with your eating plan. Before you know it, you're feeling better physically, mentally and your losing weight.

"THUMP!!" That was a big boot in your rear. :-)

The plan for success for me was going to WW. I am rapidly closing on my 2nd 10%. The WW plan works with just a modification in carbs used. And your accountable to someone. That makes a real difference.

Take care,
- Jim
Old 06-15-2001, 10:26 AM   #37  

Hi,

Couldn't get back on the computer until this morning. It stormed all night long, with lots of lightening.

Jim is right...lower carbs, slightly higher protein and your blood sugar is in much better control. I try to limit my portions to 1/2 cup of pasta, rice, and potatoes at my meals. These starches turn to sugar in your system and raise your blood sugar so you need to be careful how much you eat. Fruit, juices, and milk products will also raise your blood sugar.

You cannot imagine how quickly your body will respond to exercise...it is very important to exercise regularly with diabetes. You will feel so much better when you do.

Please start taking care of yourself and your diabetes control. I fooled around waayyyy too long with mine and now I've got complications that will never go away! I have to live with them every day! And some days are rough!

Welcome to the group and post often.

Jim, have you started eating all that fish yet?
Old 06-15-2001, 02:37 PM   #38  
Darts Diva

Hi All - I agree about the exercise! I feel and look sooooo much better since I've been exercising regularly. I have so much more energy and I enjoy my life now. Of course, I've changed in other ways, too. Finding out I have a life-threatening disease made me take a good, long look at my lifestyle. I go out more now and I am doing all the things I put on hold because I was too fat or too tired! I'm still "plump", but I've discovered that when you feel good about yourself and are happy, people don't even see the fat!

I try to eat low-carb, too. Rice has always been my downfall. We grew up eating rice every meal (my Dad is Filipino and Hawaiian). So it's been hard limiting my rice to just 1/2 cup and only a few times a week. I eat a lot more veggies now and I hardly eat bread or rolls anymore - I just lost the taste for them. Candy, especially chocolate was something I ate every day, too. After I quit eating it all the time it got to where I don't like it most of the time because it tastes too sweet. I do "cheat" every now and then, but I don't obsess about it. I just start again at the next meal. I have lists of almost every kind of food there is and my lists show the carb, protein, sugar, etc. content of each thing. I'm allowed to have 225 grams of carbs and 30 grams of fat each day and 1800 calories. So, I plan my meals around that and I usually end up eating less than that anyway. A dietitian helped me set up a meal plan.

I had baked fish last night - it was pretty good! I eat a lot of chicken right now, but fish would be a good change. I just get tired of cooking for one sometimes - it's easier just to pick up something low-fat at the store.

Well, I hope everyone has a good weekend. I plan on swimming and walking.

Barbi
Old 06-15-2001, 03:59 PM   #39  

Barbi and Janet,

I've being eating fish since that earlier post about busting a plateau. I started that day for lunch. That was 2 days ago and I've dropped 2 pounds. If it continues, I'll be saying HOOZAHs to Janet forever. My wife is doing WW with me and that is a world of help. And we had baked fish last night also. Hope this last awhile.

Going out of town over the weekend. See ya'll Monday.

Take care,
- Jim
Old 06-18-2001, 12:27 PM   #40  

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I like the idea of working on getting my eating plan in line and then as I feel better to start exercising.

Janet, I was wondering when you say a limited starches. Are you saying say 1 starch per meal and then staying within your points?
What about snacks? Also, could you tell me what you eat for breakfast.

Thanks, D
Old 06-19-2001, 01:47 AM   #41  

D,

I try to only eat 1 starch per meal, like if I have rice, pasta or potatoes, not to have a roll or bread with the same meal and to limit the size of my portion to 1 or 2 points. On the WW plan, 8 oz. of baked potato is 3 points, so I only eat 4 oz. of potatoes at a time, or 1/2 cup of instant brown rice for 1 point, 1/2 cup of pasta is 1 1/2 points, etc. Now I'm not perfect and once in a while I will eat a 2 point roll with a meal that has a 1 point starch. I can almost always count on having an extra shot with that meal.

Mainly just be aware of how many complex carbs you are having at a time. They turn to sugar and raise your blood sugar.

I usually have 1 cup of cheerios for breakfast, which is 2 points for the cereal and 1 point for 1/2 cup of skim milk. Once in a while I have an egg and extra egg whites with 2 slices of low fat bread (1 point for the bread). For snacks I have a point or two of crackers with a protein of some kind, or 1/2 carton of yogurt with graham crackers, or once in a while a WW or Slimfast bar. I stay in my point range, and just kind of set my own guidelines for how I mix carbs and proteins for my own blood sugar control. You have to do what works best for you.

I'm going to take my own advice and start eating more fish meals for the next 2 weeks. I've been 1/4 of a pound away from getting another star for the last 4 months. I know I should be happy to be maintaining so good, but I want that next star!
Old 06-19-2001, 10:57 AM   #42  

Hello,

Is anybody out there on the exchange diet? I asked my doctor about the low carb diets and she doesn't want me to do that. Says it allows too much fat. I was doing so well with the weight loss. Now I am getting bored with it. I know that the way things are going right now I will not be able to stick with it as a lifestyle. Maybe I am just getting depressed about it all. I find myself crying a lot. I am trying but this is so sudden having diabetes and it is getting to me. What do you do to be more positive about having diabetes and staying on your diets?

please help-from a newbie
Rita
Old 06-19-2001, 02:04 PM   #43  

Rita,

I have tried to follow the exchange diets (and a lot of others) over the years. I didn't do so good. But I think maybe I just wasn't really ready or committed, and you have to be if you want to succeed. And we all hit points where we just get tired of it all, but you can't give up.

Just look at it as a way to be good to yourself, that you are worth what ever it takes to get and stay healthy. And reward yourself along the way for weight loss and good diabetes control.
Old 06-20-2001, 03:53 PM   #44  
Darts Diva

Hi Rita - I know how you feel! I cried too when I found out - and I got really freaked when I started taking insulin shots! But now I look at the good side - I'm finally getting in shape and I've lost weight and I've lost my taste for junk food! It has taken me over a year to get to this point. Just go one day at a time, don't let it overwhelm you. Do you have a friend or relative that you can talk to? Are you going to diabetes counseling? That really helped me a lot. The only thing I don't really like now is that I just can't go out to dinner on whim any more - I have to test, dose and shoot-up first! Haha! I have taken my shots with me, but sometimes it freaks people out in the restroom!

I was lucky, too, in that Janet has taken me "under her wing" and really given me a lot of support. I don't know what I would do without her! Rita, we are all here for you. If you need private chats I will gladly give you my email address.

I hope that we can all help you not to cry anymore! We don't want you to be sad!

Barbi
Old 06-21-2001, 11:14 AM   #45  

Thumbs down

Hi: I am here Janet. I have decided to try WWs next Wednesday.
I can't seem to lose any on the exchange plan with taking insulin so am going to try the points system.I take 30 insulin inthe morning and 15 before supper. Its harder to lose at my age now though but I will try.I find I am better if I don't eat anything sweet but fruit as if I do eat something sweet I crave more food not just sweets.I feel depressed if my sugars are too high but when I stick to the diet my sugars are normal and of course I feel better. Nice to be here . Pat 214/214/135

Last edited by patbro; 06-21-2001 at 11:16 AM.
Closed Thread