Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #31  

Cool

Well, I'm paying for that binge yesterday. I feel like I put on 10 lbs and feel very uncomfotable. Been OP so far today. Fortunately, tonight I have a class and won't have time to get into trouble. pat - we gotta conquer that treat mentality. I do the same thing with weekends - the problem is my weekends start to get longer! Love2c pizza and cheesecake in the same day and you can get back on the wagon!? That's more willpower than I have.
Deb, I'll keep your dil in my thoughts. Hope everything works out for her and the babe.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #32  

Hi everyone..i was at curves today and got weighed and measured..not a plesant exp but wanted to know where i was at.. i hadnt had this done since thanksgiving and i i was really bad since then till january..i cant weigh on their scale but the measuring showed a loss in inches in my boobs,stomach and waist and a gains in my hips, theighs and calves everything is moving south if i ever get to my goal im going to be puddled around my shoes seriously they said it was muscle building..ok im stronger and feel better so i guess its good for me but it takes alot to be built like me to exercise in front of people..im the only one there thats uses her cane and need help out of the machines but i still go ..now if i can stay on pts i will be on my way..ive come to the conclusion thats nothings going to work unless you want it to..and the diet industry is making millions on people looking for the magic but really there is none..its eat less and move more..hope we all have some success in staying on our eating plans..and a splurge now and then doesnt hurt as long as we get back with it..im famous for long splurges ..hope this finds all doing well and deb hope your dd and the new baby to be are ok(((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:32 AM   #33  
California Girl

Wow-what a week. I've been sick with the flu and just haven't cared much I seem to do okay until about 5pm--then I just lose it. Then I looked at the scale. No loss, no gain--guess that's okay. But I did my cardio on Saturday before I got sick--so I'm just darn proud.

I'm a Glucophage person--noticed that I wasn't ravinous anymore, but I don't know if that was from the Glucophage, or the Synthroid. I just got bumped up on both--time will tell.

Cold and rainy today--had to go to a funeral 2 hours away. Necessary. Now, I'm off to bed to go collapse and DIE!

Ca Deb
Ksherkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #34  

Well today is the day the doc is going to do the ultrasound and we'll have the word on baby on Monday. I can't seem to get this out of my head. But I'm staying OP I hit the scale yesterday and showed down 2 pounds. 4 more to get back to before Thanksgiving weight. I've been doing lots of salads. Feel like I'm turning into a bunny. Think I might try the veggie plate in the on site cafe today.

Rosey great job on losing those inches. And don't you worry about the cane and needing help at the machines. You just may be the inspiration for someone there and don't even know it. Lord knows you inspire the heck out of ME

love2c I never thought about giving myself a break once a month. Right now I'm more worryed about staying in control. I guess that will give me something to shoot for in the future.

Cal deb sorry you've been sick. Just take care, sometime being ill makes sugar readings go a little high. Make sur your getting enough rest and fluids.

Rosetta just get back on that wagon. I'm sure your not up 10 pound over nite. If that were the case I'd be one of those people they would need a crane to come move.

Hope everyone has an OP day.
Love Deb
2round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #35  

Hi all! Well, I made it through yesterday back OP. The first day after a cheat is always a little shakey, but I made it!

Rosey, I think it's great you go to the gym and workout, no matter what your size. It shows that you care about yourself and your heath. I think it's truly inspiring! Think of all the people who let that fear rule their lives, and keep them from doing the things they need and want to do. You've conquered that and should feel really proud. Good going!

Hope everyone has a great, OP day!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 PM   #36  

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new here! As I said in another post, I wish I'd found this website 30 pounds ago! I'm also "pre-diabetic," although my doctor assures me there's no such thing. Still, my numbers are just under the threshold, and she told me I could beat this with an improved diet. Last year I lost about 30 pounds! But I still have more to go, so better late than never to show up, eh?

I've been a severe hypoglycemic since childhood... maybe before. LOL Finally figuring this out, though, has made such a difference. I've done quite a few things that, in combination, have helped me lose weight. First, I gave up sugar (meaning ketchup, desserts, alcohol, things like that). Next I started milling my own flour and baking whole grain bread. (That helped a lot.) I tried Splenda for a bit, but switched over to stevia. I definitely live a low-carb lifestyle, but focusing more on good carbs vs. bad rather than eliminating them all. I also use a great little chocolate fiber wafer to keep me on the wagon -- it's sweetened with stevia and contains chromium (which helps regulate blood sugar). Oh, and I bought a juicer to help get the veggies down. I also take a fruit & vegetable supplement. Those are my tricks, and they've worked for me, but I'm also anxious to read about things that are working for others!
shaky_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #37  

Cool

Howdy. Lots of posts today. Rosey, I can't add anything to what Deb and Love have already said. Just keep doing what you're doing and never mind what anyone thinks. CA Deb, ooh flu. Hope you feel better soon. Try to watch the bad foods. Drink lots of fluids. Love - good work on keeping to the program. Shaky - welcome to our thread. I'm in awe. You've made a real lifestyle change. I can't (actually, won't) give up sugar in my tea or red wine with dinner (even a lo carb Lean cuisine dinner). I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners. They are too sweet and don't seem to have the kick of cane sugar. What is that chocolate wafer you use? You are certainly well on your way to avoiding diabetes. Do you exercise as well?
Deb - try not to stress out so much over the baby.
Well, I would have been OP last night if I hadn't still had the baklava I'd bought the night before. Today I have been OP so far (except for the 1/2 donut). So I'm slowly getting back in the groove.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 AM   #38  

Hi rosettastone,

Actually, I don't blame you for refusing to give up sugar; it certainly wasn't easy or something I did lightly. I mean, I used to eat dessert with breakfast. Sometimes I would skip the meal and eat dessert. I was heavily addicted. And I realized I probably should give it up about a year and a half before I actually did it. What pushed me over the edge was that my feet were starting to crack so deeply there was dark red blood visible down in the cracks. It hurt to walk and scared me, as I figured it was a pre-diabetic foot symptom.

The wafers are a product put out by Juice Plus+ called "Thins." Feel free to email me if you have any questions about it: I can put you in touch but don't want to violate any rules of the forum.

No, I don't exercise. It's a goal, but unrealized. I did start yoga in December but I haven't been able to make it there more than twice a month so far, and I'm not going to see real results going so little. I have a 2-year-old, so I don't feel too bad about not having an exercise routine at the moment. Someday.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:24 AM   #39  
California Girl

So I went to the doctor today to get the good drugs . Got on their scale and I had lost 8 lbs, so something is wrong with my scale! That sure made for a little extra good medicine! Still feeling crappy, doc told me not to go back to work til; Monday so I feel better already! . Thanks for the good thoughts! Rosie: Sending good thoughts and prayers for the baby. Shaky--Do you have an Endocrinologist or is it your Medical Doctor that told you there is no such thing? Pre-diabetic is a fairly new term for what used to be referred to as borderline. Slight elevation in blood glucose and a borderline H. a1c. Pre-diabetic is reversable. However, if you don't do something about it, you will be diabetic. A 2 yr old is exercise on his own. Maybe the two of you can do the exercise thing together! Take him/her to the playground and do some reps on the jungle gym. Just chasing around the park can burn some calories. Exercise is VITAL for diabetics and pre's . It could really make the difference between whether you'll reverse the condition, or convert.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Ca Deb
Ksherkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #40  

Hi ksherkid,

It was my medical doctor who told me there was no such thing. I did see an endocrinologist a few years back (for thyroid stuff), but that was before we figured out the blood sugar problem, so those visits were largely in vain. I would be interested in getting my blood work done up again to see if my numbers have gotten any better, because I certainly feel better than I did at that doctor visit!

You're right - I do probably get a fair amount of exercise running after the toddler. Just today at his gymnastics "class" I probably got more of a workout than he did! You seem to know more about my condition than I do, though, so I'll take your word about the importance of exercise and make a promise to myself to be more serious about it.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #41  

Good morning all! Made it through another day OP. I'm a little worried about the weekend though (PMS).

Stephanie - I had to give up sugar too. It was a complete addition, one that I fall back into every now and then. Over the holidays I definitely fell back into it. What I noticed after I broke the addiction again (takes about two weeks for me), that emotionally I felt so much more stable. Not that I felt terribly unstable during, but my mood was so much more even and non irratable once I quite having sugar. Did you feel that way at all? Maybe I'm just weird!

I also want to support what Deb said about exercise. It makes all the difference in the world. Nothing has a better effect on lowering my blood sugar than exercise. It's amazing. It doesn't even take much, just a moderate walk will do it.

Hope everyone has a great OP Friday!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:56 PM   #42  

Hi K,

OMgosh, yes! (regarding the mood stabilization) But, I was pretty far gone at the time I quit sugar. I had developed a nice case of obsessive compulsive disorder with all the blood sugar fluctuations I put my brain through. And when I stopped eating sugar (even though my carb intake still turned to sugar) the spiking stopped and the symptoms of OCD lessened, too! And, the healthier I get, the better every bodily system seems to get, overall. My husband recently said that it's nice to know "who" will be there when he gets home at night. Apparently I was not the easiest person to live with.

However, my pre-diabetes comes from years of severe hypoglycemia, and that's probably what has kept me from exercising ever on a regular basis. Because I'm more prone to low blood sugar than to high, and since exercising is great at lowering blood sugar, I tend to feel faint & nauseous whenever I exert myself physically. This is much less the case now than it was a year ago, though, and I hope to tell you a year from today that I'm exercising my little heart out!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #43  

Stephanie,

When I was pregnant with my son, 7+ years ago, I had gestational diabetes and had to give myself insulin injections. And, I remember serveral times where my blood sugar dropped too low and I almost passed out. What a horrid feeling. I don't blame you for being nervous regarding exercise. It sounds like you'll get there in your own time.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #44  

Cool

Hi, all. Shaky, I checked out the Juice+ website. It sure is expensive. One note of caution. Fruit juices should be used very sparingly by diabetics as the fructose floods your system with sugar and creates an imbalance. I like vegetable juices and used to have a juicer but it was so much trouble I got rid of it. I drink low sodium V-8 now and then. It's a good substitute for a pre-meal cocktail and a good energy boost for very little calories. (sounds like a commercial ) One of things you might do is to eat something before exercising. This is supposed to help. But with a 2-year-old I think you're getting plenty right now. Sorry about your feet. Diabetic websites sell creams specifically for those kinds of foot problems.
CA deb - throw out that old scale. WTG with the 8 lbs!
Love - don't let Uncle TOM and Aunt Flo sabotage you. Stay OP
Well, that said, I'm not telling how I'm doing. Tomorrow is both my weekly weigh-in and my annual mammogram. Can't believe I prefer the mammogram over the weighin.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #45  

Hi rosettastone,

Yes, when I gave up sugar I gave up all fruit & fruit juice. I do drink veggie juice, but only a few times a week. And yes, JP+ runs me about $40 a month. There's no sugar in that, though. Regarding the feet... I really don't need any cream because as long as my blood sugar is stable, the feet are smooth & pink! In fact, that's one of the great things about losing weight and getting healthy - I have the feet of a teenager! (now if I could just zero in on a few other body parts) LOL