Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Hypothyroidism & Adrenal Fatigue

I picked up a copy of the “First” magazine for Women, June 21, 2004, issue, and there were a couple of things in there that I wanted to mention to those that are dealing with a low thyroid. I don't know how accurate the info is in this magazine but.....

First off, on Page 24 (in case you pick up a copy) there is an article about Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and it mentions the thyroid.about.com website that has a wealth of info on the topic.

And then on Page 28 there is an article about Adrenal Fatigue with Dr. Wilson. I was glad to find both articles in the same magazine.

Also, in the article about adrenal fatigue it tells how you can find out if you have adrenal fatigue by shining a flashlight across one eye, in a dark room, for 2 minutes and if you pupil repeatedly contracts and dilates before the 2 minute mark that you could have adrenal fatigue. Of course, when I did that my pupil contracted in and out like crazy. I did the same thing to my hubby, and both sons and there pupils stayed perfectly contracted and did not move. Now I need to read up on how to treat adrenal fatigue. *sigh*

Also, on Page 18, there is a paragraph that says in part “Alert: Fluoride could be making you fat. Flouride, can worsen or even cause hypothyroidism, in susceptible individuals. Even small amounts can decrease thyroid function, so he advises women with a history of thyroid trouble to switch to nonfluoride toothpaste.”

I was wondering if anyone had come across this info before about flouride and making our hypothyroidism even worse? I probably need the fluoride for my teeth, but I certainly don’t need anything else messing with my thyroid.

Any thoughts?

If anybody else tries the flashlight deal, would you let me know if your pupils stay perfectly contracted for the 2 minutes or if they contract (pulse) in and out like crazy?

thanks,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Wow Cathy!! I have never heard about the flouride/thyroid connection but I'm going to ask my doctor next time I go! I'm interested in hearing what they have to say. I'll have my hubby do the flashlight thing with me and see what happens. We probably won't get a minute to do it til Sunday but I'll sure let you know!! I know I am definately tired a lot I wouldn't be suprised if I did have it too.

My doc checked my levels last week and they were in the normal range but very low normal could the dosage of my synthroid eventually become inadequate? I've only just started the meds 3 months ago so I'm just curious.

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #3  

Michelle, I am currently taking 2 grains of armour thyroid.

My mother takes synthroid and I know that she has to do her blood work every 3 months, and they are constantly changing her dosage, either increasing it or decreasing it, so I'm pretty sure thyroid levels can change and you have to adjust the meds accordingly.

thanks,
cathy
Old 06-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #4  

Ok I figured that the levels would change. I take only 50 mcg of synth. right now but my doctor didn't want to switch me to armour.

Oh man I have to drag my butt off this computer lol. Give me a push will ya
Michelle
Old 06-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #5  

very interesting info! I did see the article in FIRST magazine about hashimotos, but i did not see the info about flouride. WOW! I have hashimotos thyroiditis and I am on 112 mcg's levoxyl. my weight has been yo--yo ing. i lose 5, gain 3. I have heard that good carbs are very important for people with hypothyroid, which would explain the success with south beach. i did try that diet but i could not do phase 1! I am currently on weight watchers and i like the plan alot. I am going to stick with WW but I am going to eliminate refined carbs and replace them with whole grains and see if that will help me get off the rollercoaster! I am also going to get serious about excersise and faithfully do my walk away the pounds tapes. Thanks for all the great info!
jenng32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #6  

I has Hashimoto's. You need to eat a lower carb diet (not low carb - more like South Beach) for permanent weight loss. Be sure you have protein with every meal and snack. I see a nutritionist regularly and it has made all the difference in my weight maintenance.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #7  

Quilter/Susan - if you wouldn't mind a few questions....I was wondering how you were diagnosed with Hashimoto's? did they do blood work to test for antibodies in your thyroid? would you mind telling me how you are treating your Hashimotos? do you take armour thyroid? exercise and eat low carb? anything else?

thanks,
cathy
Old 06-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #8  

well i would like to ask a question...what is armour thyroid? I have never heard of it. cathy, I know you asked susan this but if you don't mind i could tell you how I was diagnosed with hashimotos. first, I was at my regular routine physical and my dr. noticed that my thyroid was enlarged. he did the usual TSH, and it was very high but when i had the thyroid uptake test, it came back that I was hyperthyroid. so, he wasn't sure how to diagnose me because my TSH said hypo, and my uptake said hyper. So, he referred me to an endocrinologist. the endo ordered more bloodwork--a "T3 "and "free T4". this is how the antibodies are detected. alot of times when someone has hashimoto's, the THS will actually be in the normal to high-normal range, so if someone you know thinks they are hypothyroid and their TSH is normal, then tell them to have their dr. do a T3 and a free T4 test in addition to the TSH.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #9  

Hi Jenn,

"Armour® Thyroid—A natural replacement for thyroid hormone
When a thyroid is either underactive, nonfunctioning, or has been all or partly surgically removed, you may be hypothyroid. The diagnosis is made by your physician. The traditional treatment for hypothyroidism is thyroid hormone replacement, which involves taking a prescription drug (T4, T3, or a combination product containing both T4 and T3) that acts similarly in the body to the human hormone thyroxine that the thyroid would normally produce.
Armour® Thyroid, one of several drugs available for the treatment of hypothyroidism, is a naturally derived thyroid replacement containing both T4 and T31. Other products are available which contain synthetic T4 and/or synthetic T3. "

I think some people take synthyroid instead, but a lot of folks are finding help with the armour thyroid instead.

Do you take anything for your Hashimotos?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:02 PM   #10  

hi cathy,
I am on 112mcg levoxyl. i had just never heard of the armour before.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #11  

HI girls!!

Hmmm Jenn, what happened to you sounds exactly like what happened to me!
I started out the doctor said I was hypo, then they found a lump on my lower right lobe, my uptake came back and it was a hot nodule producing mass amounts of hormone, so I was hyper, then I had the goiter removed and now I am hypo. I take only 50 mcg of synthroid a day but I thought I would feel better, but have yet to have a day when I'm not just exhausted by 5pm. My doctor never mentioned hashimotos to me but did bring up the possiblity of graves disease but never said anything about it again. I haven't seen an endo yet because she only comes to my town once a month. There is like one endo for the state of montana lol.

Susan - I am on south beach and I love it as of last sunday I have lost 30 lbs and still going! I really feel the change when I eat the way SBD outlines!! I'm still not feeling 100% but I think its a med thing. Check out SBD but as always check with your doctor before starting any diet plan

Michelle
Old 06-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #12  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Responding to your question - what is Armour Thyroid -

Armour is a natural thyroid hormone - it's made from desiccated (dried & ground up) pig thyroid glands and it stinks something awful. With Armour you get both T3 and T4.

Levoxyl and Synthroid are chemically manufactured thyroid drugs. They will replace the T4 you are lacking if hypothyroid and the assumption is once you get that "boost", your body will make the T3 it needs. Not always the case... so sometimes Armour is prescribed to get both T3 and T4.

I actually got a lot of good information about Armour from discussions on this forum going back about a year and a half ago.

I was on Synthroid for 9 years and felt it just wasn't working anymore even tho my blood tests kept coming back in the acceptable range - albeit the low end but still within normal. After what I read here from other people's experiences and some research on my own, I found a new endochronologist and asked about Armour. The doctors typically don't like to prescribe this as it's been around for something like 30 or 40 years so they label it "old fashioned". Even my doctor was sceptical himself but since I'd been on Synthroid so long he said he'd give it a shot.

All I can say is that after 1 month on Armour I noticed an immediate change for the better. I don't know that once you go hypothyroid you're ever "like you used to be" so don't look for the drugs to change you that much. It's a struggle but exercise and a good carb lifestyle are essential. Many, many of the women here were complaining that they really had a hard time getting their doctors to listen to them regarding their symptoms. A few had to switch doctors several times before they were happy with the results. The point is, do as much research and reading on your own. If you feel your doctor is not listening to you or you still have many troublesome symptoms after a few months (give it time to get your dosage correct - an imperfect science at best), you might want to see another physician.

Last edited by happy2bme; 06-24-2004 at 08:13 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:43 PM   #13  

Hi happy!!

I asked my doctor about Armour, and he was one of the doctors that wouldn't prescribe it, he thinks that synthroid is better, I can't wait to see the endo so I can see what she has to say about all this!!

Its soo much info to take in!!

Michelle
Old 06-25-2004, 01:07 AM   #14  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Michelle,
My gyne was originally prescribing my thyroid medicine and refused to consider the Armour brand when I asked her about it. She said it was old fashioned even when I insisted that the Synthroid wasn't doing me any good even tho my blood tests were in the ok ranges.

When I went for my annual checkup the following year and she asked why I switched to Armour (she sounded peeved like I had gone behind her back), I said I was feeling much better on it. She rolled her eyes and then I said T3. My body does not MAKE T3. With that she nodded her head, said ok, I understand and stopped giving me a hard time about it.

I might have been intimidated to challenge her but I encouraged by what I had read here of other people's experiences.

Good luck to you, hope you are feeling up to speed soon. And congrats on the weight loss so far!!!

Last edited by happy2bme; 06-25-2004 at 01:12 AM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:55 PM   #15  

To answer the question asked me, every has given a good description of how it is diagnosed and what armour is. I take 200mcg of Levoxyl for the T4 and Cymotel to replace the T3. The doctor can tell when you are retested if you need the Cymotel or a similar drug.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote