Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #1  

Wink FRIENDS WITH RA & OA....

WELL....I DID IT!!!! I'M SOOOO PROUD OF MYSELF!!

First time I tried to start a second thread. Hope all find us.

Rita...you know you're welcome. I'm just so glad you came into our thread, & it's growing. Remember...it's not mine....I just started it out of desperation for someone who knew & understood the pain I endure. I also have OA, so I understand your suffering also. If anyone is lurking....whether you have RA, OA, or ANY health problem that you need someone to talk to about, come on in. Who knows, we just might keep adding to the name of the thread!

Stirfried....DQ!!!! I love it! My car just naturally wants to turn in every time I go to town! I found they have delicous chicken salads. The grilled chicken is great! Stay away from the ice cream, though.
It was me that wanted to exercise in water. We DO have a public indoor pool in town, but, no one will go with me, & I don't want to go alone. I've asked everyone I know. DH keeps saying he's going to buy me one. But, we had a housefire in November of 2002 that we're still rebuilding from, so I don't see that we'll get a pool soon! You wanted to know more about us. That's been my life for almost 2 yrs. A new Maytag range caused a fire in our house...then someone stole everything we had in public storage as we were rebuilding! Our furniture that survived the fire, sentimental things, clothes, all we had accumulated in 35 yrs of marriage! We had to fight to keep from getting very bitter. I had rather it all burned than someone purposely hurt us. Insurance gave us a rough time....had to get an attorney. Maytag has finally settled with an amount that's still not enough to build back. So, we're having to go after the store that sold it to us....it was still under warranty, & the repairman they sent kept saying (during 6 weeks) that he didn't know how to fix it.) Apparently he was right. We don't like lawsuits...but, got to have a house. Not asking for a mansion..you would think so, the way they treat us. Oh well....you ask to know more. Anyway, I went into depression & ate myself from a size 10 to a size 16. I'm now back to size 8-10 & trying to maintain....not easy, as I still fight depression.

Linus....I'm glad you're able to get all the things you need. It's very hard here to get anything. We have to be just about dirt poor to get any kind of help. I'm poor....just not dirt poor, yet... I have to pay for all my prescription meds (which is a lot), except for my Remicade treatments. Good thing...they're almost $3,000 a treatment.

Gotta go for now....hope everyone finds us alright. Take care & hope all are feeling as well as possible.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:22 AM   #2  

Good morning OA and RA friends!

Busy busy days here. Feeling decent for a change. Took my dog for a nice long walk last night.

Have a great, pain free day!
Khewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #3  

Hi Angel and everyone else.......Angel didnt you do well....I loved your final post on the other thread, it did make me laugh. I like Linus dont have to pay for my prescriptions or splints etc., not sure I would be able to if came about that we had to. I really dont know how you manage. Angel that was such a sad story relating to your home. Stress is one of the worse things for RA. Nobody likes a court case but sometimes its the only way to get back what you deserve and I really do hope you win your case bigtime.
Well I just wanted to say Hi and have a nice day. Catch you all soon.
Iamgonnadoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #4  

Hi everybody! Well...got through hump day! Raining this evening & going to be very stormy tomorrow....so...aches & pains!!

Glad you two made it!! Maybe the others will check in soon...hope so.

Don't worry about me, Iamgonndoit...I'll bounce back from everything. It just takes time. This board has helped me soooo much through it all. I'm on a couple of other threads, also. Everyone has helped me through so much!

Kim....glad you're having a good day. So nice to hear!

Well....gonna go for awhile...talk to you all later.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Ladies!! Im Michelle an stay at home mother of 2 girls ages 2 (Taylor) and 6 months (Teagan). While I dont have OA/RA I have hypothyroidism and Pulmonary Sarcoidosis, which is an autoimmune disease that has damaged my lungs. I have officially started atkins diet today...but have been exercising daily for awhile now My husband has ordered the WATP tapes for me and my sister has given me her treadmill so even when its icky out...like today....I can still go walking. Well I just thought I would introduce myself to you all and I hope today finds you well and pain free Have a wonderful day girls
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #6  

Hi Michelle Welcome....... I am Pam and I live in the UK but have sons living in the States so I cross the pond about three times a year to visit. I am actually flying out next Thursday for a week to see my Son and his family and my Grandson for the second time. He was born last August. I suffer with RA and OA and its a real pain in the butt if you have your heart set on losing weight as I have. My daughter bought me a Gravity Strider yesterday. Its very easy to use and low impact. She was going to get me a manual treadmill but thought it would be harder to use on my off days than the strider. Its all good fun eh? I do walk a couple of times a week but no way as much as I should. I also dance around with Richard Simmons videos that I bought in the states. They are various levels so I am able to do those most of the time. Sometimes it hurts like **** but i dont give up. I have lost 26lbs since the middle of Jan. and I have another 50lbs to lose, or 3 dress sizes. I am not under any illusions I know I will never be slim but I really mean to get thinner and fitter. Anyway its great that you joined us and will chat to you soon.....Hi to everybody else, hope you are all having a good day.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #7  

hi Pam!!
Its really great that you are making such a valiant effort to get and stay fit I applaud you for that and congratulations on your 26lb loss YAYYYYYYY!!!! Thankfully I have an electric treadmill since my lungs would give out if I had to do some heavy exertion thats basically why I chose walking for my form of exercise my lungs cant handle aerobics and such lol. Well I hope all is well with everyone!!
Take Care
Old 04-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #8  
stirfried

Hi,
Michelle, When did you start you diet and workout plan? I have R.A. and I have only lost 4 lbs in 2 months. Not good I know. I am recommiting myself to this way of life to be healthier and hopefully thinner.
I received a post from someone in scotland, but I can't find the post again. I wanted to post back maybe she will read this and write.
I was told to add grapefruit juice 1 glass before meals helps to get you metabolism going so I am trying it.
Please someone write back.
Laura (stirfried)
weight 191
goal181 for now
final goal 130

Bye for now
stirfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #9  

Hi Laura and welcome!! I dont have OA/RA I was invited to join this chat cuz Im a loner hehe jk I have pulmonary sarcoidosis and hypothyroidism and no one else seemed to have the same ailments as I. I just started my atkins today but I have been walking consistently for about 3 weeks now Again welcome and Post as often as you need this group of women is great they always lend an ear
Old 04-08-2004, 10:35 PM   #10  

YAYYYY!!!! Michelle!!!! You DID join us!! So glad. I think you'll like it here...we're a friendly bunch of folks!! In pain....but, friendly. I hope your diet works for you. Keep us posted.

Stirfried....try drinking more water. The more water I drunk, the more weight I lost. Gotta remember, also....RA retains fluid. I got to where my legs & feet were swelling pretty bad. The Dr. found my blood pressure staying high, so put me on a blood pressure med that had diuretic in it. The fluid is down, but my blood pressure rises easily, & will have nose bleeds.

Iamgonnadoit......that illusion will turn into a reality! That's close to what I lost (47 lbs)...so...know that it WILL happen....& YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Hi Rita, Kim, everybody.....shoot....starting a new thread doesn't give me the older posts to remind me of everybody's names. Sorry...I'm just old....I still like you all!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #11  
stirfried

Hi,
I know I should drink more water and I'm lucky if I get down 3 bottles of water. How Much water did you drink? Even before the R.A. i have always retained water. Oh well Thats just my luck. I never had a problem losing weight before. But it probably harder as you get older and also the not sticking to my plan day by day.
I am going to stick to it this week, instead of like before where I was good for 2 days and then bad for a day or more. I just have to try harder. But it seemed even when I did stick to the diet I still didn't lose. I will just keep trying until I get it right. I am really commited myself to do this
stirfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #12  

Hi Angel. How's it going. Hope you are feeling better than you were a while ago. We have just moved 100 miles south of where we lived in Edmonton, Ab. FM pain has flared up, but it too, shall pass

I have NOT yet made a committment to a new life style. Had to get some yeast problems under control first. Still not sure it is gone. It had gone systemic, so it takes a while.

Iamgonnadoit - very good. You should be proud of yourself for losing 26 pounds since January. I wish I could say that I live in Western Canada. I loved England when I was visiting there.

Michelle - Welcome to 3Fat Chicks. It is a great site. I usually post on the Dieting with FM. I wonder why they don't change the title of that to Dieting with Chronic Pain, as we all have the same problems - meds, not being able to exercise etc.

I also have OA. Right at the moment that seems to be held at bay. Let's just hope it stays there. FM is the culprit at the moment. Had a few days of severe fatigue, but that now seems to be passing. We moved on the 31 March and are now all settled in our new home. We did move to a condo (apt) style as hubby does not enjoy yard work, and it is impossible for me to do it. The OA is in the Facet Joints of the lower back, and those are the joints that allow motion, so most movements hurt.

Rita, nice to see you over here as well. I imagine once Joanne gets through Easter, she will be over here as well.

Hope you all have a nice Easter.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #13  

Goodness Happy well I wish you the best of luck!! I hear ya on the extreme fatigue I get so tired sometimes when my thyroid hormones are off...but the last 2 days have actually been ok not too tired until later in the evening...I didnt take a nap yesterday and ended up falling asleep in my recliner and didnt wake up and make it to my bed til after midnight lol.

Is everyone ready for easter? I am!!! Well hope you are all doing well and pain free!!
Take Care
Old 04-10-2004, 03:00 AM   #14  

Hi Folks! I thought I would check out whos been posting as I am sitting here having had a real grott night. In fact I have had a few grott nights lately. Does anybody else find their RA is particularly grotty at night. I mean I have never been one for "doing mornings", I do get up early but but it takes me forever to get going as I am so stiff and achy but just lately the nights have been so disturbed. My legs always ache and I have had a dodgy shoulder that catches me everytime I turn over. Sorry to start the day with a moan, just that I needed a sounding board, and when I am tired I am tetchy. I dont go and see my Rheumy until the end of May and when my bloodwork came back last week my esr was up a bit so thats probably why I am having a winge. Anyway I will be ok once I start moving about I am sure. What is the weather like over there, especially the East coast. Its rained here every day since forever , in other words cant remember the last dry day. They say on the forecast our summer is not going to get started til the end of July. I think thats a bit far fetched really. I do hope we have a touch better weather in CT when I fly in on Thursday. Right thats my moan and now I have to get positive for the rest of the weekend at least. Whats everybody doing with their Easter break. I have my 13 year old Grandaughter staying with me. I love having her stay, gives you that feeling of being needed again. You know the one I mean , like when all your kids leave home and you wonder why you are still on the planet. The big hole in your life that you have to find interestests to fill. We do find those interests. I have ponies and dogs. I was breeding Welsh Mountain Ponies til I found it was getting a bit much for me. We still have four and we borrow kids and teach them to ride. My DH also breaks them for driving. What do you all do for interests. I know Angel sounds really busy with her Church and TV work but what about the rest of you.
Well I am going to think about sorting my day so I had better make a start with breakfast. Have a great weekend, an interesting and varied one. Try and resist the temptation of chocolate... I have a terrific looking easter bunny on my unit that I know I will eat. Well its only once a year eh? I havent had any chocolate since Christmas and a little bit of what you fancy does you good they say. Talk to you soon.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:48 AM   #15  

Iamgonnadoit- Im sorry to hear you havent been feeling well the last few nights hopefully that'll change in the next couple of days...I'll be thinking of you.
Take Care