Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #91  

Just a quick note to say hi. Hope everyone is feeling good.

It is really cold here in Alberta (-30) last night. I always feel good when it's cold (painwise) My back is stiff but not really sore, thank goodness.

Had the Catheter Ablation done on the 16 Sept., and it is so nice to have a quiet heart again. Hope it continues. Haven't finished the blanking period yet, and I will see the Dr. mid Dec.

I need to get myself motivated and get back to losing some weight. Just hadn't felt much like it. Will have another go here, and see how it goes.

Take care and good luck with your weightloss.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi Happy Canuck! Glad the heart procedure went well. I still hurt when it's very cold -my knuckles and neck- but that's probably my Arthritis and not my FM, lol. Went for a lovely brisk walk up the back of the mountain behind us. Even though there's valley cloud we had the sun peek through a bit. I love sun on snow, it's so fresh, bright, and cheery looking.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #93  

Hello gals...BEEN AWHILE....could not get logged in....

Happy glad you had the procedure done..ya still feelin alright? Did you know Joanne passed away..could not remember if I told ya or not.

Hi Cana...you are doing great on your weight loss. I am at a stand still....especially this time of year.

Have a great New Years everyone!
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #94  

Hello anyone out there?
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:26 AM   #95  

Another girl here with Fibro!
LifeWithErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #96  

Hi CandiceJ & LifewithErica! Pleased to meet you.
Sorry I haven't been on this thread for a while, I sometimes forget that it's here since it is hidden under a more generic heading

Doing OK here, hangin' in. Looking forward to spring here.
Liana
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #97  

Well, spring is here... 17C today and sunny. The bulbs are popping up their leaves and soon tulips & daffs will be showing. I have had a really painful muscle week but I think I've figured out why... I recently replaced my Cal-Mag tablets (which are quit large and stick in my throat) with some Calcium gummies (much tastier & easier to get down). The problem is that I did not notice that there was no magnesium in them. Only Vit D added. This meant that my magnesium supplement levels dropped to only what I get in my Multi (not enough for FM, that's for sure). After a week of that, I started to have quite severe pain and could barely move. Luckily I've had a break in my work schedule anyhow. Now that I've been back on my old Cal-Mag for the past three days, the pain level has dropped amazingly. I'm not quite back to my old self, but at least I should be able to go on my patrol beat tonight and hopefully get back to some regular exercise soon.
Hope things are trotting along for all you other FM'ers...

Liana
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Hello, another fibromite here! Also ME/CFS and the usual host of other diagnoses, including a mast cell disorder and dysautonomia. Does anyone else find that electrolyte drinks are really, really useful? Of course, part of that is a dysautonomia thing, as I have to get a lot of fluids and salt. I'm lucky enough to like the taste of mildly salty water, so I put half a teaspoon of salt (a mix of table salt and low-sodium salt, so there's some potassium in there too) into my 800ml/27oz water bottle, drink that most of the time, and have the odd Nuun drink as a treat.

Exercise: well, I have severe ME, mostly bedbound, so I will never be able to exercise enough for it to affect my weight. I have had a bad winter and haven't been able to do much, which I miss. I have stretches focused on pelvic pain which I really should get back to, and now that the weather is improving, my partner and I will hopefully get back to walking the cat regularly. It's a lovely thing to do for all three of us, and Her Ladyship is getting more into it now it's spring. Cats walk at an excellent pace for people with ME! Especially when there are benches dotted about for resting on while she's sniffing a wall or nibbling some grass. We used to go to the kirkyard next door when we wanted a shorter walk, but now it's full of needles and the Council won't clean it up. I do wish we had a garden, but at least there are parks nearby, although not as nice as the ones near his old flat.

Pain meds: arggh, I saw the pain clinic recently and the doctor was dire. She wanted to put me on lyrica, even though I had the most horrific time coming off gabapentin and shouldn't go anywhere near the anti-epileptics ever again. So I have tramadol plus diazepam for on-off use, which works some of the time and often makes me a zombie. Also I lose my appetite on it, which I suppose is vaguely helpful. I don't skip meals, I can't do that, especially not on tramadol as otherwise I get Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD for short) (yes, really!). Amusing name, horrible thing to get, it feels like a gallstone attack, and it's been a problem ever since I had my gallbladder out. It's why I can't take opiates at all.

I'm experimenting with cold packs a bit, has anyone done well with those? Normally my instinct is to snuggle up with a heat pad, especially since I get really chilly, but I hear cold can be good for turning off pain signals or something.

And I've stopped being able to tolerate massage at all, it just sets off a pain flare. Myofascial release and trigger point therapy worked quite well for a bit, but now that mostly sets off pain too.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #99  
Potato

S/C/G: 300/185/168

Height: 5'10"

Hi, my name is Tammy and I just joined today. I read your post and wanted to reply. You are right about everyone being different. I tried massage and 30 minutes after, everywhere that was massaged, was seized up and I could not get in bed by myself when I got home.
Same as you I have looked up diets for fybro, chronic pain etc...I have changed what I eat. On most days I make a smoothie, with lots of ginger (supposed to help with the tummy and tummy inflammation) and other fruits and veggies. I drink one in the morning after my morning latte that I make with decaf espresso, plain soy-organic from Costco, and sugar free vanilla. For lunch I needed something hardy. I had a flour tortilla, fat free refried beans, a tiny bit of cheese and taco bell hot sauce the burrito would probably horrify some dieters, however, there are times I need to feel full-satisfied, hopefully you know what I mean. In the smoothie I use organic agave syrup, flax and chia meal ( a ton, has a lot of fiber and omega 3;s), I also throw in lemon juice and fruits and veggies. I drink part in the morning and part in the afternoon. For dinner I usually eat fish or chicken, salads etc...I love to eat and have a lot of snacks (not always healthy but I try).
I was exercising all of the time, but when the pain hit, it was debilitating and I have been on steroids for 4 months now. I am bloated like a balloon and have had no weight loss.

I would love to offer support. I do stretch, when the pain is not present. When the fibro pain is present, I can not get out of bed on my own and even with help the pain is severe and I can not use my hands or elbows etc...because they are weak and swollen. The pain is from my head to my toes. I scream when I move. As long as I am on steroids, I am ok. They have tried to wean me off several times and within the 3 day, I get a sore throat, fever and the pain. Now they are tapering me off over 6 weeks to see if they are going to get a different result. Here is what I posted today in my intro. Lets talk.

Hello, my name is Tammy. My username is Potato which is my sweet cat's name. I am 44 years old, had weight loss surgery in 2005. Lost 150 pounds, kept it off until 6 months ago, I have gone from 150 to 185. I have been on prednisone for the past 3 months due to excruciating pain from a supposed fibromyalgia. The reason I say supposed is that they really can't tell me what is wrong. Four years ago I woke up and could not move with out screaming. The pain was from the tip of my head to my toes. It felt like everything was burning and like every bone was rubbing on each other. I could not use my hands and felt pain and loss of use in my hands, knees, hips and especially my elbows. After that one time, it only happened once a year and would go away within a few days. I need complete care when this happens. I can not walk on my own.

About 3 months ago, I had an attack. It was bad. It came with a fever and sore throat and the dreaded pain. It went on and on. A week later I went to the doctor. He put me on prednisone and within a day I felt great. Tons of energy. However, as soon as the script ran out, within 3 days I felt feverish, sore throat and the pain was all back. So, back on prednisone. This cycle has continued. 3 months of this and it won't go away. They can not find out what is wrong and gave me the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.

I have gained weight, but it is not all due to prednisone. September of 2013 I had a routine partial hysterectomy. I was already to be discharged from the hospital that day when I contracted some type of illness from the hospital. By that night, I was running a 103 and I could not use my body and I had the pain. I lost 20 pounds over that course of treatment. Food was disgusting to me, the smell, the look. Well, I have gained that 20 back and 20 more. I feel so bloated in my face and feel very uncomfortable in my tummy.

I am very sad because all of this time I kept my weight off, swearing that I would never get heavy again. I am more concerned about getting well than losing weight at this time. My husband and I have changed our way of eating dramatically. We bought a vitamix so we have smoothies, fish, chicken, nuts, seeds, veggies and fruit. I take supplements as well. Anything to help me with what is going on. My hubby lost 10 pounds in two weeks and my weight did not budge. For the last 5 months I have also had constipation that will not go away no matter what I use.

Sorry to go on but I am hoping that people can relate to my story and share theirs. I have not been able to go to the gym or exercise in months because of the pain and weakness. I tried a massage and I paid the price. Everywhere that the massage therapist touched seized up and I had to come home and get help into bed and I suffered the most horrid pain for days. Anyone else have that happen.

Thank you again for reading my story. I hope to meet others here and read their stories for both support of myself and others.
potato2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #100  
Potato

Hello, my name is Tammy. I read your post and I looked up your conditions. I am so sorry. what is your prognosis. I am glad that you are able to post. I know when my fibro pain is present, I can not use my hands. This forum is helpful. I joined today and I enjoy responding to people's post and posting my own. I just don't know what to say about your conditions. I would like to know how you cope. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #101  
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
Hello, another fibromite here! Also ME/CFS and the usual host of other diagnoses, including a mast cell disorder and dysautonomia. Does anyone else find that electrolyte drinks are really, really useful? Of course, part of that is a dysautonomia thing, as I have to get a lot of fluids and salt. I'm lucky enough to like the taste of mildly salty water, so I put half a teaspoon of salt (a mix of table salt and low-sodium salt, so there's some potassium in there too) into my 800ml/27oz water bottle, drink that most of the time, and have the odd Nuun drink as a treat.

Exercise: well, I have severe ME, mostly bedbound, so I will never be able to exercise enough for it to affect my weight. I have had a bad winter and haven't been able to do much, which I miss. I have stretches focused on pelvic pain which I really should get back to, and now that the weather is improving, my partner and I will hopefully get back to walking the cat regularly. It's a lovely thing to do for all three of us, and Her Ladyship is getting more into it now it's spring. Cats walk at an excellent pace for people with ME! Especially when there are benches dotted about for resting on while she's sniffing a wall or nibbling some grass. We used to go to the kirkyard next door when we wanted a shorter walk, but now it's full of needles and the Council won't clean it up. I do wish we had a garden, but at least there are parks nearby, although not as nice as the ones near his old flat.

Pain meds: arggh, I saw the pain clinic recently and the doctor was dire. She wanted to put me on lyrica, even though I had the most horrific time coming off gabapentin and shouldn't go anywhere near the anti-epileptics ever again. So I have tramadol plus diazepam for on-off use, which works some of the time and often makes me a zombie. Also I lose my appetite on it, which I suppose is vaguely helpful. I don't skip meals, I can't do that, especially not on tramadol as otherwise I get Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD for short) (yes, really!). Amusing name, horrible thing to get, it feels like a gallstone attack, and it's been a problem ever since I had my gallbladder out. It's why I can't take opiates at all.

I'm experimenting with cold packs a bit, has anyone done well with those? Normally my instinct is to snuggle up with a heat pad, especially since I get really chilly, but I hear cold can be good for turning off pain signals or something.

And I've stopped being able to tolerate massage at all, it just sets off a pain flare. Myofascial release and trigger point therapy worked quite well for a bit, but now that mostly sets off pain too.
Here is my intro that I posted today when I joined

Hello, my name is Tammy. My username is Potato which is my sweet cat's name. I am 44 years old, had weight loss surgery in 2005. Lost 150 pounds, kept it off until 6 months ago, I have gone from 150 to 185. I have been on prednisone for the past 3 months due to excruciating pain from a supposed fibromyalgia. The reason I say supposed is that they really can't tell me what is wrong. Four years ago I woke up and could not move with out screaming. The pain was from the tip of my head to my toes. It felt like everything was burning and like every bone was rubbing on each other. I could not use my hands and felt pain and loss of use in my hands, knees, hips and especially my elbows. After that one time, it only happened once a year and would go away within a few days. I need complete care when this happens. I can not walk on my own.

About 3 months ago, I had an attack. It was bad. It came with a fever and sore throat and the dreaded pain. It went on and on. A week later I went to the doctor. He put me on prednisone and within a day I felt great. Tons of energy. However, as soon as the script ran out, within 3 days I felt feverish, sore throat and the pain was all back. So, back on prednisone. This cycle has continued. 3 months of this and it won't go away. They can not find out what is wrong and gave me the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.

I have gained weight, but it is not all due to prednisone. September of 2013 I had a routine partial hysterectomy. I was already to be discharged from the hospital that day when I contracted some type of illness from the hospital. By that night, I was running a 103 and I could not use my body and I had the pain. I lost 20 pounds over that course of treatment. Food was disgusting to me, the smell, the look. Well, I have gained that 20 back and 20 more. I feel so bloated in my face and feel very uncomfortable in my tummy.

I am very sad because all of this time I kept my weight off, swearing that I would never get heavy again. I am more concerned about getting well than losing weight at this time. My husband and I have changed our way of eating dramatically. We bought a vitamix so we have smoothies, fish, chicken, nuts, seeds, veggies and fruit. I take supplements as well. Anything to help me with what is going on. My hubby lost 10 pounds in two weeks and my weight did not budge. For the last 5 months I have also had constipation that will not go away no matter what I use.

Sorry to go on but I am hoping that people can relate to my story and share theirs. I have not been able to go to the gym or exercise in months because of the pain and weakness. I tried a massage and I paid the price. Everywhere that the massage therapist touched seized up and I had to come home and get help into bed and I suffered the most horrid pain for days. Anyone else have that happen.

Thank you again for reading my story. I hope to meet others here and read their stories for both support of myself and others.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #102  
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Well, spring is here... 17C today and sunny. The bulbs are popping up their leaves and soon tulips & daffs will be showing. I have had a really painful muscle week but I think I've figured out why... I recently replaced my Cal-Mag tablets (which are quit large and stick in my throat) with some Calcium gummies (much tastier & easier to get down). The problem is that I did not notice that there was no magnesium in them. Only Vit D added. This meant that my magnesium supplement levels dropped to only what I get in my Multi (not enough for FM, that's for sure). After a week of that, I started to have quite severe pain and could barely move. Luckily I've had a break in my work schedule anyhow. Now that I've been back on my old Cal-Mag for the past three days, the pain level has dropped amazingly. I'm not quite back to my old self, but at least I should be able to go on my patrol beat tonight and hopefully get back to some regular exercise soon.
Hope things are trotting along for all you other FM'ers...

Liana
I am not familiar with the need for supplements of cal-mag for fibro. I have fibro and just joined the site today. I have done so much research and I seem to go in circles Would love to know about the cal mag. Thanxs. Here is my intro that I posted today.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #103  

Hi potato2015 & Esofia! Here's the University of Maryland's site for Fibromyalgia. This is a legit medical site from a respected US university and not a 'crank' trying to sell you the latest 'cure.' I have a medical background and am a member of Medscape, an online continuing ed. site for medical professionals so I make sure that the information is legitimate. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...n/fibromyalgia

I know that Calcium and Magnesium & Vit D are very important for my pain control (not to say that I don't have any pain) and I take Reishi mushroom extract for help with the energy pathways in the mitochondria. I must be seriously gluten free (my MD suggested trying this) although I did not test positive for celiac disease. This eases IBS symptoms and pain in the muscle attachments at the joints. If I deviate from this plan for more than 3 days, I am tied to the couch or bed. If I keep it up regularly, I am able to do a moderate aquafit class 3x week and walk for 1 hour at 4mph on the other days, with one day off totally per week. I also canoe and hike and x-country ski (but not at the same intensities I used to). Try doing whatever you can on any given day, even if it is just gentle movements and stretches with guided imagery.
Stress control is very important! I enjoy a good book, soothing music, gentle stretches, and a hot tub. Cold packs also work well for a flare up but keep your main body temperature up with hot herbal teas and blankets.
I also have osteoarthritis from overuse (sports) and injuries (work & car accident). I realize that you may not feel the same relief, as we are all different, but it's sure worth a try and the supplements don't hurt you like some drugs can. Most of us in the northern hemisphere are woefully deficient in Vitamin D and need serious supplementation. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...ficiency-risk/

I also get a monthly chiropractic adjustment from a chiropractor who has experience in treating fibromyalgia (he's not the 'bone cruncher' type). Although I am a bit sore for a day or two after, I have more ease of movement and better sleep after that.
Ask around for a REGISTERED massage therapist who is conversant with FM and your other issues. Don't just go to a relaxation massage practitioner, they are not trained to handle medical issues. Self massage can be helpful, even if it's so gentle it just feels more like stroking the skin. It can be soothing and calming (which works for stress and pain relief).

Just a reminder (as I was a accredited fitness professional) that weight loss is in the kitchen, and fitness is in the gym. 80% kitchen, 20% exercise.

Hang in there gals, and try to concentrate on anything during the day that you are grateful for... your partner, pets, friends, a lovely sunny day, flowers blooming, birds singing, a good piece of music or a book you enjoy, a fluffy snowfall on branches in the winter, etc.

Gentle hugs to you all
Liana
Old 04-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #104  

Howdy! Anybody out there? Hope things are plugging along for you all!

Liana
Old 05-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #105  

Hey there all you FM peeps! Hope your spring is popping up lovely . What's everyone up to? How are your eating plans or exercise plans coming?

Liana