Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 01:40 PM   #1  

Default October Thyroid Thread

High all,

This is the first time I have led in a new thread for a month. The nights are drawing in now in UK dark by 7.30pm so it means more time to sit and eat!!!!!! I am trying to be good and munch on veggies whilst reading. Have made myself a tapestry banner today to hang on my sitting room wall, it is very beautiful with lillies and peonys and old latin words on it.
I am finding all sorts of food we shouldnt eat but someone suggested Kelp would help but drug store would not let me have it have you a reason for this please?
Have a good week end girls will do the same here hopefully
Vivienne
Old 10-06-2002, 01:35 AM   #2  

Hi Everybody,
I just joined and I'm in need of support and motivation with a vengeance! Help me, help me, help me :-)

I have Leslie's WATP tape with the belt and the little ropes you pull, which I can't get around my midsection at this time. (lol)
I paid $12.99 for it from some catalog, it made me sore, the first time I used it, so I knew it would worked.

My sister and I were at our favorite second hand bookstore and there on the shelf were a set of WATP tapes, no belt, the owner sold each tape for 2 bucks a pop. My sister snatched them up along with the woman who has the 2 part breathing video tapes and cassette, minus the tape measure. As far as I'm concerned she made a kill at $8.00 total. I spent $26.00 plus s&h on that breathing tape last year. This might be the way to go if you're trying to save a few bucks starting out, check out your used book stores or the library.

In the meantime I'm starting up on Monday, I need to lose 175 pounds. So I'll be here to read all the wonderful success stories and feed on you guy's motivation. I weighed 135 after my 5th child. I could never get past 118 until after his birth when I was 33. When he was 4 months old I gained weight that was uncontrollable, 110 pounds.

Years later I started to plummet, I lost 62 pounds in 2 1/2 months and found out it was my thyroids. I went from Hypo to Hyper and after treatment I went and stayed Hypo which is where I am today. Since my treatment I have gained another 140 pounds, the crazy thing is when you're Hypothyroid you have no appetite and my metabolism is notta. But I'm here to reclaim my body, last time I looked Halle Berry had it on. At 5'4, this is not pretty. I feel great about my inner spirit, but it fades when I look in the mirror, not a depression, but more of a ---when, how much longer, and why can't I keep the motivation? I've always tried to lose alone, I know I can succeed if I just hang in there, but now I think it's time to ask others to help me, so I can help others.

Thanks for listening, I didn't mean to get into all this, but... :-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**I posted this in the exercise forum also.**
Old 10-07-2002, 01:01 PM   #3  

Hi Girls,

You must all be very busy lately but if youre just lurking can you pop in and help me please. I have been told that kelp would help me with my hypothyroid but the drug store wont sell it to me bacuse I take 200mcg thyroxine can anyone let me know why not and what would happen if I did take kelp. Thanking you. Are you thinking of Presents yet for Christmas? I saw a cheap but very pretty idea when down the shopping centre. A young girl had painted a 6" glass tile with outliner and glasspaints in a lovely design then it was stuck diamond wise to matching MF board or hardboard and hung on a pretty ribbon. I think it would suit any girl from 10 to 90 lovely for a bedroom or bathroom. If I see any more cheap cheerful will post them for you.
love to all
Vivienne
Old 10-08-2002, 09:44 AM   #4  

Could be the iodine in Kelp ... sure wouldn't be good for us to have too much of that. You need to check with your doctor before adding herbs and supplements. Many have an adverse reaction on the thyroid meds.

I've been lurking...very busy at work and not feeling too well. Gerd is back. Had a bad asthma attack over the weekend so I'm on prednisone for 10 days - and probably 10 pound gain. That stuff really packs on the pounds.

Tomorrow is my birthday and my husband is taking me to Red Lobster so I should be able to eat sensibly there - if I can stay away from the cheese biscuits!

The days are getting shorter here as well - getting dark by 7 now. We turn the clocks back at the end of the month. I hate winter...it's dark when I go to work and dark when I come home. Seems like I never get to go out in the daylight.

I found a cute pattern to make a water bottle cover so that's what I'm making for all my buddies for Christmas. We all carry around water and bemoan it dripping.

Cali, I wish I could say being hypo has taken my appetite away. I never had that problem. Stick with us; you will see I lost 200 pounds so it can be done. Your very best investment could be a trip to a nutritionist. Get your doctor to refer you. I was eating all the wrong stuff for hypo and once she straightened me out, the weight came off and stays off.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 10-08-2002 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:22 PM   #5  

Hi All

I'm lurking too!! I had a job interview today first one in more years than I care to remember. I've been at home for 13 years and three kids. I love winter. I love going out when the sun is shinning and the snow is so very white that you almost feel like you need shades. Oh and the cold makes the snow crunch!!! Oh and best of all no bugs on the cloth line. :-)
I have never heard of kelp being used as an herb, but I'm with QuilterInVA. The only reason I could think of would be an interaction. You really never want your TSH to far out of normal again. Experinace here I rang the bell. Managed to get over 200 on my first blood test. Any way I will keep an ear out for any info I find on Kelp.
Take care all and lets all have a great month!!!!
Robin
Old 10-12-2002, 06:17 PM   #6  

Hi, I am new to the group. It is nice(? )to know I am not the only one fighting the thyroid problem. I have been on the WW plan for 8 months and have lost 32 lbs. Slow but sure I guess. My max.was 206,now I am 174. Any tips from anyone would be great. Thanx.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #7  

Just joined so new to this website. Not quite sure what to do. Just curious to see if anyone out there has Graves Disease(thyroid) and how they manage with it and lose weight. I am needing to lose about 80 punds. I am a stay at home mom with 3 kids(15,9,7). It has been so hard to find the energy to sustain me wanting to get started. Please anyway with any helpful information would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:47 PM   #8  

Default QuilterinVA

Cali, I wish I could say being hypo has taken my appetite away. I never had that problem. Stick with us; you will see I lost 200 pounds so it can be done. Your very best investment could be a trip to a nutritionist. Get your doctor to refer you. I was eating all the wrong stuff for hypo and once she straightened me out, the weight came off and stays off.

Thanks Susan, I have to go in next week to get my TSH checked, I'll talk to my physician about it, I know she'll refer me.

I have several diabetic diets from a couple of Endocrinologists. I have a problem with that procedure especially since I'm not diabetic. I feel as if their rushing me out of their office when I ask questions about my weight in reference to being Hypothyroid.

The first Endo told me he likes to spend less than 15 minutes with his patients. Hmm.... could that be why I sat in his waiting room for 30 minutes then another 20 minutes in the exam room with 1 person ahead of me, ask me if I ever went back to him?

It's horrifying when your weight goes from 112 to 318 pounds over a period of time. Since '98 I've gained 80 pounds the majority of it in '99. March 1, 02, I weighed 318, I started using Richard Simmon's Food Mover, by Memorial day I was 282. By Father's day I was 312 pounds, I think the problem might have been that I started eating lots and lots of fruit, and some veggies hardly any meat. Since then if I take 4 or 5 steps I have to stop and rest because the weight is pulling on my back.

Since the Dr's can't seem to help me I felt I needed to find people who can identify and share tips with me.
I'll never be 25 again, but I sure would like to feel human with a beat at any age.
Calil
Old 10-16-2002, 04:06 PM   #9  

Default Re: QuilterinVA

Susan where are my manners!?
I was interrupted by the Cullen Man delivering salt while I was typing and I left out,

CONGRATULATIONS
on losing 200 pounds and keeping it off! I'm so impressed and psyched that it can be done! With the right info and will there's hope for me yet!
Old 10-18-2002, 02:33 PM   #10  

Smile Foodstuffs

Hi Girls,

Have been lurking and reading but this brought me out of hibernation. You said you were eating the wrong stuff for hypos. I hace never been told ever what I should or shouldnt eat with my condition, I suspect they dont know over here in UK as we are light years away behind you. Thats why I lurk hoping to find something I can do to help myself. Please coul;d you give me a simple rundown od what not to eat as I am so ill at the moment and need to do something urgently.
Vivienne
Old 10-18-2002, 08:15 PM   #11  

mamacat, my cousin in law had/s graves disease. i think she got it controlled with meds while pregnant, and then had it zapped at some point after breastfeeding. or maybe that hasn't happened yet, because the meds are helping. i know she lost all her preg weight way fast, which is why things were suspected. now that she has it under control, she is losing the second baby weight a bit slower, but i think it's a lot safer for her body.

for thyroid foods, i think soy products are a big no no. that's all i can recall offhand.

this book, living well with hypothyroidism, is an excellent one. it is loaded with information about the disease and its treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...964734-0043150

i'm doing okay. i'm eating a bit less, i think. i think i'll skip weight watchers this week, and go next week. the scale is about the same, but i'm exercising more, and going rollerblading tomorrow with my sis and her new beau. it's a low stress version of meet the family. tee hee.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:10 PM   #12  

Hi All
Well everyone is talking this month. I have just taken out a book from the library call "Blood Sugar Blues" I will let you know if it has any good ideas. It can't hurt to read and I'm hoping it has more info than my DR! To all the new members welcome. I'm in the same boat you are but have met some really nice and suportive people in here.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:47 PM   #13  

For hypos, usually a lower carb (NOT no carb) higher protein diet works well. Avoid raw cabbage, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower (cooked are ok). Limit soy to 1 serving per day. Cut out sugar and anything white - flour, bread, rice, pasta. Each the whole grain varieties. I use exchanges and eat 2 protein exchanges for every carb exchange, 2 dairy, 2 fruit, 3 fat and unlimited vegetables but at least 5. Remember potatoes, corn, peas, beans are counted as starches, not veggies.

Exercise is very important but doesn't have to be excessive. I walk for 20 minutes a day 7 days a week. If its raining, I do my stationary bike. I have asthma so can't exercise strenuously or a long time.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:02 AM   #14  
Bop

Hi, I'm Bop (name comes from my now 12 year old grandson). I have just been diagnosed with a hypothyroid. It finally took going to a naturopathic doctor to run the tests! I tried for a couple of years to get the proper test done (the TS3) and sure enough it came back as hypo! Anyway, I am also going thru that wonderful process of "the change" and need to use soy protein. The only thing he told me was to take the soy and thyroid medicine as far apart as possible, so I take the medicine at night and soy in the morning. So far so good, but I have not lost weight yet! I need to lose about 20 pounds. I am starting a walking program. Any helpful hints/ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:27 AM   #15  

Did your doctor recommend you eat soy? It is seldom recommended for hypos and you will require more medication if you use it. It will make you problems worse!
Closed Thread