Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Has anyone had a hysterectomy?

If so, how is weight loss changing for you?

In the past, I would bloat up a couple weeks prior to the big day, then when TOM was gone, a big whoosh would take away 3 or 4 pounds. Well, now there is no more TOM and therefore, so far, no big whoosh.

Also, I used to have very irregular cycles, one every 3 months sometimes, and only had PMS during the week of. That was good, PMS once every 3 months. Now I feel like I have PMS every single week, at least a couple days! Moody, weepy, and craving bad stuff mostly are my cues. . .

My doctor did have to remove one of my ovaries, but I still have the other one, so I thought any hormonal changes would have been minimal, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone else want to share their experience?
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/250/180

Height: 6'0"

I had one ovary removed after the birth of my second child in 88. I had my hysto Oct of 04, which removed everything else. YES, weight loss is a challenge. Beginning 98 I began on adkins, and lost near 100 pounds in roughly 1 year. Here I am 46, again attempting to lose the 65 pounds I have gained over the past 9 years.
Lory46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #3  

Welcome to 3FC! I know you'll find tons of support here, I sure have.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I thought it would be a breeze, but I'm finding it harder and harder hormonally. I'm thinking after I lose a little more, or a little more after that, things will get better.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #4  

I had one four years ago, ovaries too. I didn't have a problem with weight gain. In fact, I lost after that. I was thrilled not to have all of the problems anymore, the pain and heavy bleeding, fatigue and ups and downs (I felt like I had PMS all the time, too). I'm really glad I did it. The challenge now is ERT. Without it, I get really depressed so I have to take it. I use Femring which lasts for 3 months but if I forget to mark it on my calendar, I slip into the depression before I remember to refill the prescription.
dreemsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #5  

Dreemsnake, I hope you're able to manage better. Do NOT forget your Femring anymore! Depression we do not need.

I have a blood clotting disorder and cannot take hormones, so I was begging my doctor to leave me an ovary, pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeee!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

I had one around 13 years ago. I had uncontrollable heavy bleeding and a doctor who said I was too old for the Pill (hello, I was 35!??). I know, go to another doc. But it's done now. I still have one ovary and I assume it's still working because I haven't had to take hormones. I can't tell a difference between before and after, as far as weight loss goes.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #7  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I had a total hysterectomy. No ovaries, no cervix i have nadda. I had it in 1999 right before I turned 25. I had PCOS and was bleeding to death. 90% precancerous so I had everything taken out. I do not take hormones of any kind. they made me crazy. the last 10 years I have slowly gained weight. from 180 to 255. I find it harder now to lose but it may just be the age too cause well I am 10 years older lol. But I am losing at the same pase as hubby so that a good sign I think. Good luck
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #8  

Question Hysterectomy Too

I had a hysterectomy in April 2007, uterus and cervix, still have both ovaries. Initially I lost weigh. Went through a divorce in October 2007, literally couldn't eat I was so devastated. Slowly "found" myself and unfortunately discovered the joy of Southern Cooking and started to put the weight back on. One thing I noticed from my hysteroctomy is that I have a weird little lump on one side of my stomach which the doctor calls an umbilical hernia. It doesn't hurt, just makes my stomach look lopsided. I'm getting married at the end of August and I'm wondering if losing weight will make the lopsidedness a little less noticable.
Rynda
Rynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I still have one ovary too. I was 47 when I had mine. I lost weight before and I've lost weight after.

The only difference I noticed was that I don't have downtime. My periods were getting close together and for a few days I just didn't have the gumption for anything! I was outta sorts for 4 or 5 days every cycle and when they were only 20 days apart ...
I'm sure I still have some symptoms but no cramping, no flooding ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #10  

Isn't it funny how different everyone's body is? I just had my surgery in January, I'm 36. Maybe I need to just lighten up and accept that things will be "weird" for a while, and if I notice a pattern over time, like the moodiness, then I can take it back to my doc.

Thanks ladies!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #11  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I just had everything removed a couple weeks ago (ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, cervix). I lost 5 pounds from the surgery and have decided to adopt a very close watch on my weight because I do NOT want to regain anything that I have lost.

I'm taking a break from trying to lose until 4 weeks of recovery have passed, and then hopefully it will be onwards and downwards.

I'm on a very low dose of estrogen, and so far, no menopausal symptoms other than occasional night sweats.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/201/140

Height: 5'9

I had my total hysterectomy in Sept. and recently quit taking my HRT and have started to lose weight. I think I may stay off them if it's them making it so hard to lose!
AmberLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Had one in 2007....can tell no difference in weight issues. Found great help after my hyster at the hystersisters website.
charmtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #14  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Had right ovary with tumor out May '08 then the rest out in June '08. Had so much PMS for so many years and reading Dr. John Lee's books I surmised that I was estrogen dominant, so opted not to take any hormones.

I also had PCOS and doctor has said the metabolic issue of insulin resistance is still there. I've gained 30-35 lbs. in these 2 years. Trying to improve diet and start getting exercise again. This year I had to have surgery to repair an incisional hernia from the hysterectomy. They had to blow up my abdomen with gas to do the laparoscopic surgery and the surgeon said that will fill up with fluid. It did. I look like I'm about to give birth to twins.

It has been quite frustrating.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/188/120

Height: 5'3

i am one year post op and i would say i am just now starting to feel right again. I got to keep both my ovaries but still went threw alot of hormonal changes. i think mostly if they would have been right to start with there might have not been a need for it. i did not lose any weight after mine but have not gained either. i am very glad i went threw with it cause now i dont have to worry about all the problems and can worry about being healthy.
milleradah is offline   Reply With Quote