Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #16  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Wow, lots of awesome advice here! =)

I am currently doing exercises with my upper body mostly, but I really miss being able to walk from the parking lot to my classrooms (about 2 blocks) without intense pain. I've tried every shoe insert I could find, and nothing helped. But I am supposed to make an appointment with an Orthotics doctor tomorrow to see if I can get anything done there.

Right now I'm using a frozen water bottle and rolling it under my feet. It helps a bit. I'm definitely going to check out the taping thing though!

I'm thinking I should also try out new shoes. Maybe those Haflinger or some Birkenstocks. Currently I have sneakers with "arch support" but who knows!

I might also switch to advil. Ibuprofen is just ripping up my stomach.

The problem is that since this has been going on for so long, it's really affecting my hips and back, and has changed the way I walk. It's just awful. My back starts to get weak and then I have to sit down after only a short distance walking.

So thank you all for the great ideas. I am definitely going to give them a try over the weekend, and hopefully get some relief! =)
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

I hope that you will find relief soon and feel much better! I know how painful this is! I can't do without my arch supports at all!

Just one thing, though....Advil IS ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen is the generic name, and Advil is the brand name. So basically it's like saying, "I won't take aspirin anymore, I will take Exedrine instead...."

Advil will still tear up your stomach. One thing you can do is get the medicine that reduces acid production in the stomach - it takes a few days of taking those one a day pills but it does stop the pain from any ulcer that is created from the ibuprofen/advil.
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I have had PF for years. I have had the night brace and done PT and stretches and been thin and NOTHING has helped EXCEPT CROCS!!! Ugly as they are, my new and favorite podiatrist told me to get a pair for at least home. We don't wear shoes in my house so its sock feet or slippers and it was making my feet so bad I couldn't walk during the day (although I didn't know it at the time). So I went out and bought a pair of the mammoths to wear as slippers at home and it took about 2 months (it got worse for my back before it got better) and I have complete relief. The only time it's bothered me is when we went to Disney 2 weeks ago and standing around bothered them (and I have expensive sneakers). I couldn't wait to get home and put on my crocs flip flops I got for $10 at Job Lot. Really...they're an inexpensive thing to try. My feet and heels have never (in 16 years or so) been so pain free.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The only cheap shoes I can wear are the Croc style (I actually have a knock-off brand), and the cork bottom sandals. I was buying a pair of the cork bottom sandals from Walmart every summer (they look like an imitation of a Birkenstock style), but they never lasted more than one summer (and looked pretty terrible by the end of summer) and weren't comfortable for more than a few hours of wear. This summer, I bought a pair at Fleet Farm and they lopked as good at the end of summer as they did at the beginning, and were much more comfortable. The difference has to be in the quality and density of the cork.

In the long run, I think the Birkenstocks and the Halfingers are a better buy, because I have Birks and Haflingers that are more than 5 years old, and they still look brand new, and fit my feet better and are comfortable on my feet longer than the cheaper imitations. I've never had a cheap imitation last more than a year (until this years Fleet Farm pair - we'll see how long they last).

Still, the crocs and the cheap cork-bottom sandals are far better than other cheap shoes. If I'm not going to be doing much walking, they work fine. But, if I'm going to be doing more standing or walking, I'll go for the Birks or Haflingers -and if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, I'll choose the New Balance.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #20  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Good point about avoiding being barefoot, Kristen! It's the worst thing when you have PF (well, that and flip flops). I even found slippers with arch support so I was never without it (Acorn is the brand)!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #21  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Lots of good advice here: my doctor recommended putting my feet up 2-3 times a day for at least 60 minutes; I try for 2 times a day and that has been helping a lot. Good shoes and slippers are a must; and don't go barefoot too much -- I used to do that and now have stopped.

Be sure to get 7-8 hours sleep at night; just having them up that long helps, so rest them whenever you can. I have a set schedule now that I must put them up once in the afternoon and once or twice in the evening; I take advantage of that time to do some reading. While on my PC, I stretch my legs out so my feet aren't pressing on the floor.

Other things that can aggravate them is cold, so always wear slippers in your home and shoes outside. Warm boots in winter that aren't too tight. Plus, stepping up into high places a lot, like a Van or a truck can make them much worse. My problem started when we switched to a Van; so my DH made me a stool to step up from, and that helped so much.

Mine used to hurt a lot when I first got up in the morning, but now they are getting much better. I used to work on my feet and just had to soak my feet in warm water in the evenings and I wasn't that heavy then. Now I soak them while on my PC; and I do the stretch exercises each day while I have them up as well ...

PS ~ I used to have 2 sizes of shoes; because my feet would swell up so much from being on them all day. I wore the regular size until noon; then switched to the same shoes BUT one size bigger for the afternoon -- oh, I can't tell you the relief it was ... ahhhhhh!

Your poor feetsies are just plain warn out and tired; and they need a good rest ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #22  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Well I went to a chiropractor and did the treatment she recommended. I also did some acupuncture. The regular MD talked about surgery...so I did some other things first. I am now pain free 99.9% of the time.
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 185/172/145

Height: 5'5

I have pf and the exercises never helped me (I still do them, just in case) But anyway what helped me SO MUCH was buying a pair of Dansko shoes. OMG. I personally thought they were way cuter than Birkenstocks and a little cheaper (I have 2 pairs at $120 each) and they last FOREVER. I wear my brown pair basically every day for the last 1.5 years and they still look pretty much brand new (except 2 teeth marks from where my dog decided to bring the shoes to me ). I was recommended them by my chiropractor and she had hers for 9 years then and still wasn't looking to replace them. Someday I'd like to start running in which case I'll have to find shoes for that, but in the summer I walk all over town (usually about 2 miles at a time including carrying food home from the farmers market) and I have no pain. Before I got the shoes I couldn't walk at ALL without severe pain. It HURT!!! Even now I CAN go barefoot without pain for several hours (although I choose not to because I dislike having my feet uncovered anyway) which I never could before.

I know I sound like a walking commercial but seriously, I LOVE these things!
MyPitBullSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #24  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had flareups of PF, and I find these things helpful:

* Getting cardio on a bike instead of a treadmill. Also easier on the back. And for me it needs to be an upright bike. It's not supposed to be this way, but somehow a recumbent is too painful on the knees.

* The tennis-ball thing.

* A soak in a hot tub. Holding a sore foot over a jet feels good.

* Cold packs.

* Acupressure. If you can't reach your own feet, get a loved one to help, or use the eraser end of a pencil. The spot directly in the center, just beneath the ball of the foot, is a helpful point. (AcuPoint #21 on this page.) Especially when it's done in conjuction with AcuPoint #30. I usually can't hit both points at the same time, so I'll ask someone to help.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #25  

What worked for me was Addidas Adilette sandals. I have several pair and wear them year round except to go outside in the cold. I think it took me close to a year to get over the heal pain but it has been years now since I've had it.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 263/256.2/140

My Mother-in-law taught me how to cure my PF! She had it and when I got it I did exactly what she told me to do. Get a mens tube sock. Fill it with dry white rice. Tie a knot on the open end of the sock to keep the rice in. Throw it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Put your feet up and wrap the warm moist heated sock around your foot. It feels wonderful! I did this everyday, usually in the evening and it worked! I also took Aleve, but if ibuprophen upsets your stomach the Aleve might also. And be careful with NSAIDS, they can damage your kidneys! I can't take them at all anymore because I have renal insufficeincy caused by the Aleve. I hope you find what works for you!
Starfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #27  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Thanks again guys. I'm glad you have so much great advice!

I noticed aleve was the same active ingredient as ibuprofen, so I didn't get it.

Gonna check out the shoe advice this weekend! Awesome suggestions, so I'm going to see what's available. =)

Right now I've been continuing the foot exercises and using shoe inserts. The tennis ball and frozen water bottle help a lot, but after a full day on campus, my feet are crazy swollen. Currently I'm using a make-shift foot bath with a bread pan. lol. Hey, it fits perfectly! But I'm going to see if I can find one of those foot tubs this weekend too. =D

Thanks for all the great ideas, guys!!
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #28  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I have plantar's fascitis, tarsel tunnel and achilles tendonitis! I had the surgery on my foot and it didn't work. Elctrode shocking, physical therapy, boots, sleeves, everything. Nothing worked.

Swimming is a GREAT way to exercise with plantars since you aren't applying all body pressure to your feet. Same with a recumbent bike or regualr biking.

Keep stretching (stairs help me) and moving! I saw a woman at Disney (I was in a wheelchair it got so bad) and she said he had been me years ago. She bought a pair of Zcoils -- shoes that look weird but she says they work.

I might try a pair with my tax check but they are pricey. Worth it if I can move though.

I only wear tennis shoes now and it's helped some.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #29  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

30and300 - there is currently another thread on Plantar Fasciitis in the Exercise forum, you may want to visit it.

I gasped when I read (sorry I can't remember who posted it) that her custom orthotics cost $70 - I only wish mine cost that little! - in Canada, custom orthotics will run you down $400+ (mine were $425 and I believe I got only $200 back from insurance).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #30  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30and300 View Post

I noticed aleve was the same active ingredient as ibuprofen, so I didn't get it.
Alleve isn't the same active ingredient as Ibuprofen. Alleve is Naproxen Sodium, which is totally different. Ibupfrofen is Advil, Motrin, some others.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote