Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 09:21 AM   #31  

Default Hey

My prayers are with Meme...She has a lot on her plate...It sounds like her mother will need skilled nursing care for some time.
Meme..Keep yourself together and know that we are there for you in thoughts.
Mima...It is nice that everything is coming together for you. Have a great weekend.
Hello Everyone...Bye..Joanne
Old 07-03-2002, 10:02 AM   #32  

Meme - I am keeping both you and your Mom in my prayers. Please try to get ENOUGH rest. Your Mom is in the best place for care right now and will probably go to a nursing home. God's will, will be done.

Mima - good going. You are sure getting lots done. That is so nice. It is nice to loose the tenant as well! Who will cut the grass now?:lol

Joanne - Hello. I am ready to sit and have a coffee with you. You are so down to earth, I swear we would get along really well. I am basically the same. PT has never done one thing for me, so I refuse to go. I hope you find some relief for your knee. Joanne, when it was so hot, it was like living on a desert for heaven sakes. No humidity at all. Just plain HOT!!!! However, now it has cooled off and the past two nights they have been giving us frost warnings for the night!! Can you believe that? In JULY!!!! I have never seen that before either. The weather this year is a year of firsts or close. March and April were the coldest in the past 150 years, May was ok, but June was the 3rd hottest in the past 120 years, and June is also the month we get rain and we had none! El Nino is sitting out in the Pacific Ocean wreaking havoc with our weather, I believe.

Serenity - Cheesecake is good. While in Ontario, my daughter found some good ones called Waistwatchers. They are only one point, but we can't get them here. She only makes them for Ontario. What a shame. I am going to try playing with a couple of my cheese cake recipes and see what I can come up with.

Hi Ally, Candice.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:53 PM   #33  

Default Hey There

Happy- I am ready to have a cup of coffe and a nice chat with you too. I really wish that was possible. If you come up with a good way to make cheesecake that is less pts. let us know. I think that you can use light cream cheese and maybe get away with egg whites.
I agree that they will probably want to put Meme's mom in a nursing home. If so she should visit them and pick the best.One that is close to her so she should not have to commute too far. I don't think it is a good idea for her to try to take her home. Meme has too much on her plate as it is.
Yes Happy,I am a down to earth person. I don't know any other way to be. I say things like I see them and always have. I always say if it is in my head it will come out of my mouth. Sometimes it gets me into trouble too.
Hello to everyone...Joanne
Old 07-03-2002, 10:40 PM   #34  

Hi Girls

Just to let you know the cheese cake took its toll - I was only down .2 lbs this week. Not to worry - next Weds. will be better.

Meme - my prayers are with you. I would think your Mother will be well cared for in a nursing home and it will likely be much easier for her too.I know my uncle is having a much better life now that he has gone into a home, it was just too hard to keep him at home even with help coming in several times a day.

Hi to all you gals. Did I tell you all I got the YaYa book from the library at long last. Can't start reading till I paint the trim on the garage tho.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:43 AM   #35  

Default Hi

Take it one day at a time, Meme!Don't worry, Serenity, that's typical of weight loss anyways and you didn't go up. I'll look for a cheesecake recipe. I ripped out my stitches 3 times last night-I am putting the names on my needlework and it;s free hand. But today I figured out I needed to measure better and now it;s fine, In the middle of frustration is leaning!!!That's what I always told my students. I like the humidity-it makes my sinuses open. Happy 4th of July. We are going to a parade this am. Hubby likes them and I do too. My son is going to Boston tonight but no way are we going.WE can drive somewhere where we can see the local ones. Hi Happy-what crazy weather you have. It's in the 90's again but then it's going to cool a bit. Hi Ally and Candice. Mima I can here my name again cuz Alison is here. I'm going to see her tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:44 AM   #36  

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY
Old 07-04-2002, 10:14 AM   #37  

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE. HAVE A FUN FILLED DAY.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:44 AM   #38  

Thanks everyone for your prayers and email. Mom is not better...actually she is worse today but the Dr. said that is to be expected. They always get worse before they get better. We have a different Neurologist this time and I really like him. They had to put a feeding tube in last night...but just down her throat not in her side. We may have to do that later, though, because she can't swallow at all. She can't open her eyes now, either. She has a living will and she didn't want any tubes or machines but on the other hand...if there is a chance she'll recover...I can't let her starve to death, either. The feeding tube was a hard decision to make but I feel like I made the right one (the only one, really!) The new Dr. said last night that it could go two ways...1. she could slowly get better and be able to start eating again and go into a nursing home or 2. she could stroke out again any minute and die. He said you never knew which way a stroke like hers would go...they are unpredictable. Seems her strokes are caused by onset of alzheimer's. He said he could see some shrinkage in the brain cells on the undamaged side of her brain and that tells him that she had already started getting alzheimer's and that a lot of older people's brains broke down like hers has when that happens. The tiny blood vessels break or tear and they have a leakage. He said she could get better but the chances of her living more than a few years at her age were very rare. The Neurosurgeon came in to see her this morning (hubby is there) ... he pulled her eye lids back and looked in her eyes and said, "Not good." What ever that means!

The big "immediate" problem is she keeps pulling at her tubes and wires. It is all one person can do to keep her covered up and keep her from pulling out her feeding tube and catheter. I hired a "sitter" from a service to come and watch her last night so I could come home and get some sleep...felt good to sleep more than 3 or 4 hrs...almost like a luxury! Hubby is staying tonight and then I may hire someone again tomorrow night...

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD FOURTH OF JULY. We had a big cookout planned for today...I can't believe my mother-in-law called me this morning and asked me if we were still having it! I forget...people around here think I'm SUPERWOMAN! (or...SUPERMEME!)

Last edited by MemeToo; 07-04-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #39  

God bless you Meme. You know, what will be, will be. If she can't better and has Alzheimers to look forward to, then it would be a blessing if she could leave now. I don't think Alzheimers patients have pain, and they don't seem to be suffering. It is far harder on the family and friends to watch this. However, with other health problems, she wouldn't even be able to tell them what the trouble is.

I can't even imagine why someone would call and ask such a stupid question! I guess she thought you could put everything on hold and have the cook-out.

I am glad that you can get a sitter service to come in. That way at least you can get the sleep you need. Do you have brothers and sisters that are coming to help out?
Old 07-04-2002, 07:18 PM   #40  

Default Hey

Meme- Your mother is in God's Hands. If she has a living will try to do what your mother wanted as far as her care. Happy is right. She is unable to tell you or anyone if she is in pain etc. I had to talk and advise so many families that were in the same place you are in ,concerning their family. I will tell you the same thing."The kind thing you can do for her is let her go. I know this is hard for you. It is the right thing to do.There must be some quality of life to keep her here."If the doctors tell you there is no hope ,go to a chapel in the hospital and talk with God.He knows best.
We are all thinking of you and your family. I hope your family members are there for you too. Don't give the stupid unthinking people a thought.
Bye...Joanne
Old 07-05-2002, 08:30 AM   #41  

Default Hello

Oh Mme-we are all here for you!!Just really concentrate on today-it's all we can know about. My kids had to make the decision about their father-it was so difficult-I even called the priest to talk to him.I think you did the right thing with the tube-it's too soon to know.Our prayers are with you. Brad's friend is here to help him clean the yard and I am going to see my grandaughter at noon. I finished the wedding present yesterday!!!!it's not perfect but it's nice. Gotta hem the dresss I'm wearing. Tenant moves out tomorrow!!!More space for our stuff including the big vac in the hallway and another bathroom. Brad is going to set up his trains in there. Hope everyone is good. Mima
Old 07-06-2002, 11:55 AM   #42  

Haven't read your posts yet...can see something is happening with your Mom Meme and I am thinking about you.
Will read later. Just wanted to run in while it is still cool in my house and say Hello.
Bad week here in NY...too hot for anything. Finally yesterday it broke. I have a lot to get to as I don't move too fast in that heat. Also lost out on some walking....
I'll check in later and see what is happening.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:13 PM   #43  

Meme

My prayers are with you. I know that it is hard to do but your Mother will likely be much better off with professional care at this time of her life.

My mother had alz. and I know from experience, that trying to keep her at home, is much too difficult for any family. It can really break a family down as there is just too much care that needs to be given on a 24 hour basis.

It does not take long for everyone to get run down as someone will have to stay up all nite and so on, not just once in a while, but all the time.

You have to learn to let go and let God take over. Easier said than done I know. Remember we are all praying for you and your family.

Hi girls - hope u are having a great weekend.

Serenity
Old 07-07-2002, 01:36 PM   #44  

starting new thread
Closed Thread