Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #76  

have any of you found that taking the name brand vs the generic makes a difference in how you feel and weight loss? i'm on the generic synthriod right now and am wondering if i should try the name brand instead. i'm still feeling the same and not losing any weight after 6 months of being on it and dieting/exercising like i should. it's so frustrating.
alrightythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 265/175/140

Height: 5'3"

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 15 years ago after my first daughter was born. I only lost 5 pounds after her birth and continued slowly gaining weight despite my thyroid levels being normal. Over that period of 15 years, I gained probably 65 or 70 pounds over my POST-pregnancy weight. My first doc way back when put me on levoxyl. I tried Armour for a few years, which made more of my hypo symptoms seem to go away, but that got harder and harder to find. Our pharmacy was always out. Back to the $4 generic levothyroxine.

As for slow weight loss? Heck, yes. At my heaviest, I was 264 over two years ago. It took me two and a half years to lose 19 pounds. 2 1/2 YEARS for 19 pounds. It's really hard to keep motivated when the loss is so tiny.

I recently changed doctors. At my physical, I pleaded with him at how much I wanted to lose weight, and how much of a struggle it has been. He first switched me from the generic levothyroxine to synthroid to see if that makes a difference. Some people respond better to the brand name synthroid. He also recommended Vitamin D and B12 supplements (my vit D level was borderline low). I round that out with Selenium, CLA, CoQ10, calcium, and a good multivitamin. (I recently quit smoking after 22 years and wanted to boost vitamins and supplements to both repair the damage from smoking and boost my thyroid function). My doc also offered a prescription for phentermine. I'd never tried diet pills before, but finally had gotten to a level of desperation.

I agree, Mary Shomes' The Thyroid Diet is an excellent book, and a bible for what to eat and what not to eat with thyroid issues. I pair the information in this book with the Glycemic Impact Diet. Exercise is also absolutely necessary for people with hypothyroidism to lose weight. It's non-negotiable. I can eat perfectly on plan for a month, but if I'm not exercising, I won't lose and might even gain.
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

just so y'all know... Armour Thyroid, Naturethroid, and EFRA are all now easy to get with a a prescription. no shortage anymore at all. I pick ours up at Walmart every month and have been for almost a year now. during the shortage I simply had my Armour made at a compounding pharmacy.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #79  

Hello! I'm new here and I've been reading the messages.

Last fall I went and got tested. I'd heard a couple of coworkers discussing their thyroid problems on several occasions and didn't really understand it all so I googled it and determined that I had some of the same symptoms. I was put on 50mg of Levothyroxine and went back 6 weeks later for another blood test and they said I was good with the 50mg so I've been on that since. They told me they would check me again in a year.

I thought for awhile that I may have had more energy, but I'm just not sure. Maybe it's just my mind convincing me that it was working. I've been having allergy problems as well for the past couple of years. Kind of came on all of a sudden so took me awhile to realize it was allergies. So I finally decided to go see an allergist at the beginning of this year. On the first visit I was put on 4 different allergy medications. Xzyal and Claritin were two of them. I had tried taking Claritin before and suspected I was gaining weight because of it so stopped. Well, it happened again. I'm no longer taking the Claritin, except in extreme situations when I really need it. I did find some reports online that Xyzal also causes weight gain. I have about 4 left so I think I'll hold off on refilling. Basically my allergies are more of an eye thing. I wear contacts and get this burning sensation and watery eyes. Not much else, but my vision is being greatly affected by something. I was miserable last spring.

Anyway, (sorry this is so long) in the past couple of months I've felt sluggish and somewhat depressed and gained more weight. I'm the heaviest I've ever been so maybe that's where the depression comes from. I'm just frustrated. I've read that Claritin and Xyzal slow your metabolism so I'm concerned they may be interfering with the levothyroxine. I generally work out 3-5 days a week for at least an hour and have been for quite some time. I've tried changing my diet and increasing my workouts. I'm at a loss here. Nothing seems to help and I feel like I'm moving in the wrong direction. I don't seem to be losing any weight. If anything, I'm gaining. Any suggestions? Is there something else I should be doing? Is there an allergy medication that anyone knows of that might be better? Do you think my medications are off? I just don't know anymore and I was hoping some of you with more experience in this area might have a suggestion. Thank you.
Sheila3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Sheila3, you may need more thyroid meds. It sure sounds like it. even without the other allergy meds being involved, just bec a dosage was good for you a year ago, does not mean that you still need the same dosage from here on out.

you may like reading some of the info at
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
www.thyroid.about.com

take care,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I just got my blood drawn today to get tested for a thyroid problem but after doing some more research I'm worried about how they're just doing a TSH test and they will say there's nothing wrong when they didn't do a full test for Free T3 and Free T4 (it's the local free clinic since i cant afford more). Is it likely they'll say I'm fine? A lot of the symptoms match up..it's kind of worrisome.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #82  

The only things that can help with hypothyroidism are medication, exercise, and diet. However, medication is almost always necessary. I'd start seeing an endocrinologist if you are hypo.
ahmedayad is offline   Reply With Quote