Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ June's Monthly Thread #010

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

HAPPY JUNE EVERYONE
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #2  
Rosebud

HI LADIES, THE SITE CRASHED LAST NIGHT, BUT WE'RE UP AND RUNNING AGAIN NOW ~ unfortunately, we lost all our JUNE posts, so we have to start this month over again. I figured we might as well just do a restart to keep things less confusing ... OK?

I will try to remember what we were talking about and repost that; thanks to PURPLE who came in and read the posts just before everything crashed, so we can get a gleam from her last post in the 'MAY' thread earlier today.

I'll ask MEOWEE to put this thread up as a RED STICKY for us again too! THANKS PURPLE for coming in and posting!

TODAY, we went shopping and picked a bunch of lovely flowers ~ big red geraniums as well as pink and mauve ones; mixed bag of marigolds; pink and purple wave petunias; plus some red and green cabbage starters; and a couple of Tiny Tim Tomatoes, which grow well here.

WE'VE had a very busy week and my legs and feet are throbbing; have to learn to pace myself better. Now, I won't be able to do anything for a few days. DH had to help me hobble around tonight, so I came in here after a small nap to read my emails and read the posts: and surprise, surprise ~ LOL!

DH is so exhausted, he's already in the sac, even if it is Friday night ; when he's tired, he just hits the hay! We had a good day, chicken for lunch and leftovers for dinner. I picked up some blueberries, strawberries, bananas, clementines, and cherries for my snacks this week.

ANYWAYS, that's all the news for today; take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 06-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #3  
Rosebud

HEY PURPLE ~ feel free to copy your last post from the May's thread into this one, OK? I found it very interesting and I'm sure others would too. I have a copy of some of the LOW-CAL SNACKS @ 100-150 C's that we had posted in the CALORIE COUNTING FORUM last week (before it got lost). I will post them in here tomorrow when I have more time.

Have a great weekend ... ROSEBUD
Old 06-07-2008, 05:20 AM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

I am at present typing this post at the minute on to a word pad as 3fc site is down for repairs so I will post it as soon as it is up and running. I did quickly read through the posts before the site went down.

Well was up at the crack of dawn today at 4.15am to say it was a struggle was an understatement. I am not a morning person any longer and to think that I regularly got up at this time in the morning when I was on the early shift. We set off at 5am to Wales and were back to DH work unit for 11.30am. We had a short break at a supermarket for a coffee stop and to stretch my legs. I had brought some coffee along in flasks but such a long journey like that not enough I am afraid. I did use to have the large vacuum flasks but I can no longer lift them so we have smaller ones that I can manage. We also stopped at a service station that we know has some excellent areas for our pooch. So he got a good run around and chased his ball like mad. He was has happy as Larry doing that. He is extremely good on journeys and is no bother what so ever. I just have to pack his lead and water plus make sure I have some pooper scooper bags. If we are on a very long journey I prepare some food for him like cooked chicken. Just enough to tide him over so he is not famished. On returning we had a spot of lunch in the pub near the work unit and then made our way home. I had all intentions of going to bed this afternoon but I was not so tired on returning. I guess I will be flagging very early this evening with not having a sleep.

It was a lovely journey to Wales the weather there was glorious and made the green countryside look very pretty indeed. Initially it was very misty due to the heavy dew on the ground but that soon cleared. The signs when you enter Wales are in both English and Welsh. I am not sure if you have ever seen written Welsh but to me it looks a very difficult language to learn as letters go together that you would not dream of putting together to form a word. For example this is a few phrases in Welsh to show you what I mean
prynhawn da …. Good afternoon
Diolch yn fawr iawn … thanks very much

In the North of Wales it also has the longest place name in the world and I can not even pronounce most of it except the very beginning and the very end bit (Llanfairpwllgwygyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-Ilanytysiliogogogoch) I think I have spelt it right. It translates in English to “The church of St.Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees hear the rapid whirlpool by St Tysilo’s of the red cave”

I have been watching a programme about a man called Ray Mears who shows you bush techniques for different places all over the world. He loves to learn things from the indigenous people of that area especially how to make fire the traditional way rather than the modern way of matches. He shows you different plants which are edible or poisonous along the way. He did one programme on rowing down the trade route taken by the voyagers in Canada he had a traditional type boat and was joined by someone who was an excellent canoeist and loved that area too. It was beautiful to see the beaver in its natural habitat and the moose. These are creatures we do not have in the UK.

ROSEBUD Thanks for the site for the snacks around 100 – 150 calories. Someone also suggested this site in another thread for low carbohydrate recipes. If you look around at the site they have a few recipes that come in at around that mark per serving. http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html It is also nice as there are some baking type recipes so when I get the urge to go in the kitchen to do some I know I can choose these sorts of recipes. Another site that I love is http://greenlitebites.com/ I have found some nice recipes on here and if you search around there is some that pan in around 150. Plus there are some nice food ideas to try and I have cooked one or two of them. One thing I like it is by a lady who has travelled and is travelling the same journey as us trying to become healthier and lose weight. She knows the struggle so has made yummy food so that we do not have to eat like “rabbits”.

I have also at times frozen fruit of different sorts in bite size pieces and rolled them in sugar free jelly crystals of my choice (usually strawberry or black currant) before popping them in the freezer.

Sugar free jelly with a low fat or fat free 200g yogurt mixed in with hand mixer to make a moose type dessert perfect for those sweet tooth moments. (I choose yogurt to match the jelly or just have a plain or vanilla one) This comes in around. This come in at 140 or there abouts for the whole thing I normally divide into 4 portions so only 35 calories then. Another version of this is using evaporated milk or tip top (that is what I use as it has way less calories) I had 200g again to the half pint of cooled down sugar free jelly and just stir in till mixed throughly. I divide into 4 portions and it comes in at around 58 calories then.

Put fruit at the bottom of individual dishes of your choice. With sugar free jelly made the jelly per normal with half pint of water and let that cool right down. Top up the cooled jelly with half pint of diet lemonade stir this very slightly and pour over your fruit when you eat this it will be slightly sparkling as you bite into the fruit. It depends on what fruit you use to how many calories it turns out to be but it is low never the less and good for those sweet tooth moments.

If you find a plain yogurt or crème fresh or framage frais and add sweetener to this and vanilla essence to taste and this is excellent topping to tinned or fresh fruit. For me it is a great way of getting in calcium as I am not a milk lover. So try to have one yogurt at least a day and small amount on my cereal in the morning.

Take time to look round your supermarkets and see if there are any low calorie things. That is how I found popcorn and rice cakes all less than 100 calories.

Another good one is egg white omelette with sautéed vegetables of your choice. Oh boy do I find this filling as the egg whites are protein so fills you up.

I hope my information is useful, it is only what I have gleaned myself in the last year or so as I wanted to be armed and turn my life around. Though more importantly it has to be something I could continue for life rather than till the weight has gone. Otherwise the weight will come back on and a heap more pounds too
Looking as though I am writing a novel here, so I will save this until the site is up and running. When I checked a moment ago it was still down and repairs still being done. I know web sites are fickle things so can be tricky to do and will take a wee bit of time and patience on my part Bye for now and take care ladies till next time

Last edited by purpleorc; 06-07-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #5  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I have just copied and pasted yesterdays post as it will get missed otherwise. I am afraid I did not spot that it had got put back as far as that in the reset.

Weather here at the minute is overcast although rain is not supposed to be forecast.

I have put my dinner in the oven already as I wanted something with not too much fiddling about as I knew I would be tired last night. So it is an all in casserole. Not very summery food I know but pratical in the circumstances and plus I love a casserole. Unfortunately I have run out of lentils so none in this one. I have put it on my list for next weeks supplies of things I need or have run out of. I hope to pop to the local shop shortly as I have run out of bananas and I love to have one every day. I have no bread either so that must be got whilst I am out.

Dh sister has gone on holiday today she has gone on the Norfolk Broads which is an wetland which is protected and is a network of rivers and channels that are mostly able to sail in a little cruiser. They are going on holiday with another couple who are friends. The broads are home to some of Britiains most rarest creatures and plants so hence it is a protected area. I have never been on holiday myself on the Broads but I have had trip up it the spring when a lot of the water birds had there little chicks. It was beautiful to go up there with mothers with chicks being seen at every twist and turn. The Broads at a quick guess is about 90 miles from here. Not not so far and can be done in about one and half to two hours. The roads are not motorway (freeway) but less major roads and plus then you have the typical English country road which is very winding and not in a straight line. In truth you can have travelled a mile down the road but as the crow flies it would be about half or less. That is the quirkiness of our country roads here in the UK.

No more news for now ladies so hi to Rosebud and Valdine hope you both have a relaxing weekend take care till next time
Old 06-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . .

Sometimes we could use a second start to the new month. Looks like we are definitely having one this June. We are really lucky that we didn't lose more stuff.

We had a beautiful day in Northern Nova Scotia yesterday, but I had to spend most of it at the car doctor's getting the annual physical done -- needed new rear brakes and pads; plus the usual stuff. Oh well. Today it is overcast so far, but hopefully some will break through later on. Got a busy day of errand running planned so I really don't care what the weather does -- at least it isn't snowing.

Just noticed that the tickers are back to May 23 levels also . . . so . . . if you didn't already, perhaps you need to update yours, I know I do.

Have a great day . . .
Old 06-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #7  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Hey Ladies..

so my last business trip got cancelled! I should have been smoozing in Winnipeg right now.. instead I get to relax

The program you've been watching sounds interesting Purple. Thats the stuff the community here takes for granted.. beavers and wildlife.. and the water routes that fur traders used from Hudson's Bay. Even the crazy winters we have are interesting to some Europeans (the French tourists we had last winter want to come back.. IN FEBRUARY when it's -50C all over again)

Rosebud
thanks for starting us back up again. Hope you get to have a relaxing weekend!

Val
Old 06-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #8  
Rosebud

HEY, HEY, HEY, VALDINE ...

CONGRATULATIONS ~ for losing 100 lbs!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-07-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #9  
Rosebud

Default Low-cal Snacks ...

BEST LOW-CAL SNACKS for 100-150 CALS or less!!!
---------------------------------------------------

I NEED SOME NEW IDEAS FOR SOME LOW CAL HEALTHY SNACKS BESIDES FRUIT: that's what I eat most days, but I would like to change it up a bit with something besides fruit and yogurt & yogurt and fruit. I need things that won't tempt me too much, so they have to be small in size, and around 100 - 150 calories each! Thanks so much for your help. ROSEBUD

HERE'S SOME OF MY FAVORITES ...

1) fruit all kinds
2) yogurt (SOURCE is only 35 C's with no sugar and no fat)
3) small piece of cheese @ 150 C's
4) rice cakes @ 60 C's each
5) small puddings @ 90 - 120 cals
6) small jellos (under 100 C's)
7) handful of raisins or dried cranberries (40 grams/140 C's)
8) popsicles and mr. freezies (60 -90 C's)

... WHAT ARE YOURS???

Fruit (all types, pineapple, apples, oranges, bananas, plums, peaches, pears, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, watemelon, blueberries; esp frozen whole with sweetner)

Veggies (carrots, celery, snap peas, other)
Small baked new potato or sweet potato
CUP-A-SOUPS (60-80 C's)

1 oz Dark dark chocolate (70% or more) (about 120 C's)
Sunflower Seeds and Almonds (1/8 CUP @ < 150 C's)

Lemon cup puddings (90 C's)
Chocolate Fudge and other flavors (only 90-120 C's)
Sugar-Free Pudding cups (in dairy sections are only 50 C's average)

Air-popped POPCORN (seasoned only; 2.5 cups @ 150 C's)
RICE CAKES (only 60 C's)
Peanut Butter 2 TBL @ 120 c'S

Small homemade low-fat bran / fruit muffins (150+ C's)

SOURCE yogurts (only 35 cals/no fat/no sugar)
Yogurt with frozen berries and maybe some cereal mixed in
One serving (weigh on scale) of bunny grahams

Celery and carrots with lite cheese or low-cal dip (under 150 C's)

A piece of whole grain bread with 1tbsp of peanut butter (peanut butter weighed @ 150 C's for lite bread)

BABY FOOD ~ sweet potatoes, butternut squash, applesauce, pears, and other fruits like plums, apricots, peaches and such. I also have some cinnamon that I can add to the various flavors as well. Most of these have no sugar added: for about 150 C's or less for a small jar!

*** MORE IDEAS FROM OTHERS ***

#1 -- From Mandalinn82 ...

1. 1/2 cup greek yogurt w/ 1/2 cup strawberries and a touch of sugar free vanilla Torani syrup (about 100 calories)
2. 1/4 cup (unpopped) airpopped popcorn with salt (120 calories)
3. Whole wheat, low carb tortilla, spread with a laughing cow wedge, topped with grated carrot, sliced cucumber, and 2 thin slices of turkey breast deli meat (120 calories)
4. 4 RyKrisp Crackers w/ a laughing cow wedge and thinly sliced cucumber (about 150 calories)
5. Crudite - 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 a red bell pepper, half a cup of cucumber slices, and two small carrots, dipped into a dip made of 2 tbsp of fat free sour cream and ranch dressing mix, thinned with a bit of chicken broth.

#2 -- FROM BETHBETH ...

Baby carrots
low-sugar oatmeal
frozen fruit bar
WW Ice cream bar
Fiber One bar
Almonds
Old 06-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #10  
Rosebud

As promised, I posted some of the original thread for LOW-CAL SNACKS that I had posted in the Counting Calories Forum; I added in some other ideas that others had suggested in/at other places and times.

PURPLE ~ that language the Welsh use almost sounds like a mix of Dutch-German and Gaelic combined together. I like the practicality of the language; very funny! They give new meaning to the term 'directions'; this is how I give directions too ~ LOL! Glad you had a good trip.

YES, WE DO HAVE SOME MARVELLOUS CREATURES in this wonderful country; and we love the beaver and the moose. I would rather we treasure them more than we do, as they really don't hurt anyone; sometimes they built dams, but they need homes for their families too!

VALDINE ~ maybe you can take that Winnipeg trip later, as you were very tired after the last one. Some of my relatives were trappers; my Dad has some interesting pics somewhere (hope to see them again someday). Hope you have a relaxing weekend too ...

MEOWEE ~ hope that sun came by to brighten your day and you got your errands done!

Well, it was hot this morning, but we got a good downpour this afternoon to cool things off. We had BBQ SPIT CHICKEN for dinner (one of my faves) with lots of veggies and salad. Stayed on plan today; did well all round.

Take good care friends, ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-08-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #11  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Thanks Rosebud I did a little happy dance off the scale this morning. It finally feels like I know I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
HEY, HEY, HEY, VALDINE ...

CONGRATULATIONS ~ for losing 100 lbs!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

ROSEBUD
Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #12  
MSer living healthy

Good morning Ladies

Seems like a lovely day today weather wise so that will be good for dh sister on the Norfolk Broads.

What a great bit of news today to see that Val had lost 100lbs

CONGRATULATIONS VAL ON LOSING 100LBS

I am so pleased for you Val I know what I felt like when I past that mark I really felt that I was going to do this weight loss journey. Trust me you will feel just as good in a few pounds time when you get to "over weight" on the BMI scale. In a way a think I was more pleased to reach that mile stone. I love to have little mile stones on the way to pass it makes this journey not so long. My next mile stone is me at 188lbs that for me will be 8 stone loss (112lb in English )

Just finish preparing lunch and the vegetables I want to steam. We are having leeks, cabbage and cauliflower today. I am having it with some pork and apple burgers today that I bought from a butcher. I bought a few and put the others in the freezer. I will be grilling them on my foreman grill which I love.

ROSEBUD Thanks for posting those snacks for around 100 to 150 calories they are so useful for those snack times. Like you say you tend to levitate to fruit which after a time becomes rather boring. So to have other things in your armoury is great.

I found a little recipe yesterday which we tried. Sneaky way for me to get fruit down my dh but to him it was a pudding For two people you take 2 bananas, 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essense. Put all the ingredience into a blender and blitz until it becomes a smooth paste. Put into small pots and freeze. Though you can eat straight away if you can not wait. We ate straight away and it was very nice way to dress up a banana. I will try and get them to the freezer next time

It is quite often the case we do not appreciate what is on a door step regarding the wild life. We take it for granted and I know we shouldn't. I am sure their are creatures indigious to the UK that I do not appreciate as I should.

VALDINE Lucky for you that the trip to winnepeg was cancelled so now you have some unexpected time to relax which must be nice after the period of busy time that you just have had.

Have a lovely weekend enjoying the goal that you have just achieved and keep up the good work.

MEOWEE Thanks for stopping by here on the thread. Thanks for warning us about the tickers that have been back dated as well.

Here in the Uk evey year unless you have a brand new car then you are exempt for 3 years you have to have like an annual medical on your car. It must pass this to be legally on the road. If it fails you have so long to get this fixed and put it through the medical again. Unfortunately the medical does not come cheap and neither do any repairs for that matter. Cars are wonderful things but oh boy they sure can be expensive too.

Must scoot it is time to start my dinner other wise it will be tea before anything is ready Bye ladies till next time and take care
Old 06-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

VAL . . . that is a wonderful accomplishment, Chickie . . .

Yesterday the sun did come out and it got almost hot around here Today is looking very overcast and, although it's definitely fairly cool, it actually feels 'muggy' Guess it's going to be a mostly indoors kind of day for me anyway. For me 'muggy' always translates into 'achey' as well.

Have a great day, everybody . . .
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #14  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ We had another hot, sunny day today but there was a light breeze all day which helped some. We went out to the garden to check on our Rhubarb transplants and discovered that one patch was doing better becuz we surrounded them with black mulch material; so we did the other group this afternoon and watered them all as well.

We decided to just stay home today as we went out to the lot two times this week and into town twice which is a lot more outings than we normally do in one week. Besides, I wanted to rest my legs for a few days; one of my knees got a bit strained on the steps @ my Dad's cottage (as they are too steep for me really).

When we do our cabin, it will be ground level, so no stairs for me. DH says we will be able to do the first brick row very soon. He just has to rake some of the gravel on the north side and we can get at it; but I warned him to do only so many each time, becuz I don't want him injuring himself again. I am getting more ancy than DH about that first row: it will help me to know that we are actually gonna put something there after all this time!!!

HI MEOWEE ~ glad you have nicer weather, but I'm with you on the 'mugginess' ... DH and I don't like the humidity at all; seems to be hard on us now that we are a tad older, same for when it rains. We may have to get ourselves a dehumidifier to get the moisture out of the air to be more comfortable.

PURPLE ~ thanks for those easy recipes; will definately try that banana one (kinda like homemade sugarfree banana sherbert. Did you put any artificial sweetener in it?

VALDINE ~ I am trying to go down to a certain size (18) as my big goal; as far as weight goes, I'm thrilled to lose even one pound. This is how I always lost weight before; and as soon as I started worrying about the pounds, I would get too discouraged.

I'm not one into labels myself becuz there are too many differing opinions out there: to each his own, I say. I remember the days when there were just two main categories. I'm so glad that we all can do our own thing here and at our own pace, without having to feel bad. Mostly, I just want to 'FEEL BETTER'.

I have been struggling with CONSISTENCY lately. That may be my biggest roadblock to overcome on this journey ~ that's why I was looking for healthy snacks lately. I'm so proud of you ladies that you have overcome so many obstacles to get where you are now; and after that, you will then join the ranks of the MAINTAINERS, which is of major importance ... in my mind at least, anyways. Half the battle is losing it; winning the war is keeping it off!

ANYWAYS ~ we are thinking of having something not too hot for dinner: DH wants hamburglers, but I'll have mine with veggies and salad, I think! I read about a man who lost lots of weight, but he kept hitting plateaus, so his nutritionist had him rotate between high-carb and low-carb (or maybe calorie counting and low-carb) back and forth to help him overcome those plateaus that were keeping him from his final goals. How interesting ...

WELL ~ hope you are all having a great Sunday, ladies ~ take good care, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-08-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Sounds like that cottage is coming along really well, ROSEBUD . . . and enjoy the rhubarb -- one of my favourite things. I like to stew it up with strawberries and blueberries and a little Splenda.

Later, gang . . . have a great Monday.
Closed Thread