Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #16  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY FRIDAY LADIES ~ we had lots of snow again today. DH worked on the car all day; got one thing repaired and then discovered something else had blown under the engine.

ANYWAYS, DH had borrowed my DVD player, but tonight I got him to set it back up in the livingroom for me so that I could try out my WALK OFF THE POUNDS EXPRESS dvds. I did the 1-mile tonight; watched the 2-mile also, but did all the muscle toning with the stretchie band (arms) for both. The music is very peppy and I loved it. At first, I thought it might be too hard for me; but I was able to do it OK.

I think that this is perfect for the winter months; our weather here is really crap this year. Don't even want to venture outdoors as there is so much ice out there; it's not safe anyways. At least I found something that can really burn some energy and tone too. One lady lost 60 pounds from just doing the tapes alone; that's super ...

WELL, other than the car not being fixed as we'd hoped, today was a much better day for us. Had a nice Spit BBQ chicken with rice and veggies dinner tonight. Take good care, ladies; your friend ROSEBUD
Old 01-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #17  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Well yesterday was horrid not even fit enough for ducks as we say. In other words it was raining, blowing a gale and it was a cold wind. Today it is lovely sunshine but DH said there was black ice on the road as he went to do a delivery on his own. The delivery was local in our home town so was gone under an hour. So whilst he was out I did the hoovering and mopped kitchen floor. So housework is just about done for today. Just to clean up the kitchen after cooking lunch as you have lots of pots and pans out when cooking. Will make a jelly in a bit for tomorrows tea I think.

ROSEBUD :~ Thanks for holding the fort for the past few days whilst I have been tied up and out of action. Thought I would stop by today and maybe early tomorrow as I have mum and dad coming tomorrow. We are taking them out for lunch at a local pub which does a lovely sunday dinner with plenty of veg for me to fill up on rather than the more fatting roast potatoes etc.

Thanks for your best wishes and prays regarding dad. He has got to the point where he will be glad to have the operation done as it is getting him down a little.

Gosh you do have a grand old lady there in your furry baby never realised she was 15 that is a good age for a dog by any standard. Sorry the news maybe was not better but if she is not in much pain then that is a blessing and has a good quality of life that is something to be thankful for. I pray that her condition remains that way and she is still enjoying life.

Good for you doing the exercise video/tape I am sure that it will help improve your fitness. I also have a walking video which I think I can do if things are not fit for me outside. If I can't achieve the walking video I have some pilate ones which are easy and not to taxing on my body. Fortunately the weather in general has been good enough to venture outside even if you have to wrap up well.

Grr cars can be the bane of our lives especialy when you live in more remote areas like yourself and need transport. I am more fortunate if our car was out of action as we have a bus service within 200 metres of my house running into town or up to the local shops. The trouble with cars they cost money either way even when they are running smoothly they still need fueling and road tax paying plus insurance. The list goes on and the money goes out of your purse. You are a little fortunate that your DH has some knowledge of what is under the bonnet and how the engine works. I really did wish that you were living in the UK as here you would automatically qualify for a brand new car every 3 years and you pay one of your benefits (the one you get for mobility) for the car. This then gets you the car, insurance, you get road tax for free and RAC (breakdown service). So all your car worries are taken care off. Every year the car is serviced as well so keeps it running smooth. The car we have at present is our 3rd car on the scheme and we have been very happy. You choose your own car the only ones that you would not be allowed was if the mobility expert though they were not suitable for your needs. The more expensive cars you have to pay a lump sum off straight away. Though there are many which do not have anything to put down on them. Your allowed to do 15000 miles per year is the only restriction but we never do that anyway.

Time for me to go and look at the dinner before we have burnt offering. MO and VAL. bye bye ladies and take care.

Last edited by purpleorc; 01-12-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #18  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ it seems we are getting alternating weather this week; today we had sunshine again, so I did venture outside for a short walk. I pushed a bit of snow off the deck for DH, and took out some bread and seed to the bird feeder for the birdies.

PURPLE ~ we don't have a car program like that here; wish we did. Anyways, DH wants to buy another car instead. I hope that this will be the end of a trail of breakdowns where we were stranded all over the place. Hope you have a really nice dinner with your parents tomorrow.

Not much going on here really; some of DH's friends dropped by for a bit tonight. We are just having a quiet weekend ourselves. Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #19  
Rosebud

HELLO FRIENDS ~ We had another beautiful, sunny day today; it was so loverly. We spent a quiet and restful day at home. We had fish with veggies and salad for dinner. I took some pics of the snow with my digital camera. The snow drifts are up to the top of the garden fence; if it hadn't melted a couple of times, I think that we would be buried by now ~ lol! Now I just have to learn how to down-size them a bit so that I can post them on here or somewhere else.

GREAT UPDATE *** ~ My Aunt sent me great news last night about my uncle TOM; we have seen some wonderful answers to prayer. 1 - the cancer has not worsened since first diagnosis. 2 - it is totally isolated in the lungs.
3 - it has not spread anywhere else in the body. 4 - the cancer has been down-graded from stage 4 lung cancer to stage 1 colon cancer. 5 - this kind of cancer cell isn't as serious. 6 - that means there are treatment options available. 7 - a lower stage cancer like this can be totally cured with treatment. 8 -- He will be starting CHEMO-THERAPY next week in our nearest city so he won't have to take any more longs trips, once the connecting tube is installed early next week. 9 -- My Aunt sends her thanks to everyone for their prayer support; she says this has given her the strength she needed to continue supporting the family through this ordeal.

Well, that's all the news from here; we hope to have a another car by this week. Will let you know what happens there. Take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #20  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

This today really will be a flying visit as we have just got back from my dad preoperative checks at the hospital which all went very well. There were a lot of people there for the preoperative staff but I must say they are very well organised there and every thing was done and dusted in 2 hours flat. So after that we all went to lunch in the hospital restaurant. Good thing with being a hospital restaurant there are plenty of healthier options to choose from and a selection of fruits or low fat yogurts if you have room for a bit more

I am so pleased Rosebud about your Uncle Tom's news regarding his cancer and that there is treatment available to tackle it. It is the best outcome that could be hoped for I suppose under the circumstances. I will hope and pray that the treatment is a 100% successful.

Well must finish my coffee as I am now off to my oxygen therapy. I will certainly sleep tonight i have had to walk the length and breath of the hospital today or at least it feels it like it bye bye ladies catch up with you soon. Plus also big big thank to Rosebud for keeping the thread going whilst I have been tied up and busy. bye again

Last edited by purpleorc; 01-14-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:48 AM   #21  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies and good morning

Well it is early in the morning for me and I am not exactly at my best in the morning so my grammar and spelling could leave something to be desired. Oh well fingers crossed it don't turn out too bad this post.

Well the rain seems to have set in it was raining when we went to bed and it is still raining now. What a miserable day. I don't know for 100% but it sure feels to me from past experience I could be getting a chest infection. My chest feels tight and my throat. But not started the awful coughing that goes with it. I really hope it does not go any further else I will have to postpone my treatment in the tank. When I was in my twenty's bronchitis was the bane of my life I would get it at least 3 times a year for weeks at a time. On several occasions I would get breathing difficulties and require an inhaler.

I am off to treatment this morning hence I am up early for me. Two mornings in a row that I have been up early will be glad when tomorrow comes when I can go to my normal time of getting up. I bet you cos I do not have to get up I will wake up dead early

The hospital that we went to yesterday parts of the hospital are old and by old I would say built in the early part of last century and over the years they have expanded the hospital until its present state of being very big. At the moment it looks a maze of corridors which all look alike but I am sure next week when visiting dad we will get to know them a whole bunch better.

Well time for me to go and get dressed to go for treatment well if I am in the same tank as last week with the couple of men who were right funny and I did very little reading of my book as I normally do. Bye bye ladies and take care
Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #22  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ I was so busy yakking on the phone for six hours last night to family that I didn't get in here to post. Well, it was a busy day for DH going to pick up our new car: a Mercury, Grand Marquis, Crown Victoria. It is fully loaded with a great heater and an air conditioner and automatic everything (it's not brand new, just newer and better than the last one we had); it only had one owner from manufacturing. Tomorrow, I go for my first ride in it; DH has been driving it around getting a feel for it.

So, that's very good news; and today we also got some more great news about a house that we may be able to get in town. Hope the weather is good, as we have to go see the lady about it tomorrow.

PURPLE ~ I'm glad that your pre-op appts for your Dad went well and you had a nice lunch. Hope your therapy treatment today went well too. Thanks for coming in and posting while I was so busy. I hope that you are able to put off that chest cold. I used to have a hard time with bronchial flus years earlier myself. Those big old hospitals do seem like mazes, but they can also be interesting in some ways; the architecture esp. The newer ones here have color-coded lines down the walls so you know where to go, which is handy.

I agree that the news about my uncle TOM is fantastic, however the appt to put in the connecting tube won't be for about two weeks (which is actually good for here); so we'll pray that everything will be OK in the meanwhile, and/or maybe a spot will open up for him sooner.

We had a good day today; just had a light and easy dinner tonight. Dh has been going over the car with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is OK for the inspection of it. He is much happier about having this car and he says it rides really nice as well. ANYWAYS, that's all the news for now; take good care, ladies ~ your friend, ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-15-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #23  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Good evening ladies

I'm glad to hear the 'good news' about your Uncle Rosebud I hope everything works out - the new car sounds good too. Have you two been looking for houses in town for awhile now?

Purple I'm glad you were able to find healthy choice in the hospital and that the pre op for your Dad went well. When will you be done with the diving chamber, or are you finished treatment now?

I was able to catch my best friend from college on the phone last night. It was past my bedtime when I noticed I missed a call from her on the weekend -- she lives in the pacific time zone, and I am in the central time zone so I called her for an update even though it was nearly midnight my time. I love having a good friend like that - we can connect over thousands of miles and end up laughing at life no matter what time of day it is. I think we're going to plan to take a cruise together this summer to catch up and visit (my ms medications earn a lot of air miles for me so I can travel virtually anywhere for free -- or in this case -- go on a cruise with my best friend at no charge!)

And my office has finally managed to hire a general manager so our workloads should be significantly reduced for the first time in months. I'm looking forward to some more free time

Hopefully I'll be back 'soon' take care all!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #24  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Well all we seem to have had for the past 24 hours or more is rain. Unfortunately now there are flood warning out. This mean that certain areas in the country could be flooded. We are one of the very fortunate as we live about 5 miles away from the river Trent which is our nearest waterway. I just hope that the rain ceases and no-one actually gets flooded. Saw the river Leen today and it was the highest I have seen it in a long time and looks very dirty due to all the soil it has brought with it. The river Leen is next to the supermarket which I shop at weekly.

ROSEBUD :~ I hope you and your DH enjoy your car that you have purchased you will have to fill us in when you have had a few journeys in it to test it out for comfort etc.

Yes I agree that the old hospitals have much more interesting architectural features than modern box shape ones. To be honest I prefer them and it reminds me of my training hospital way back in the 80's which was built in the 1890's. The hospital is no longer in use as it was though big psychiatric hospitals were not the way to nurse people. I must admit I disagree the hospital like many was in the countryside so was peaceful and added structure to peoples life's who are chaotic due to there mental state. To see these patients now breaks my heart as they are so unkempt and it is suppose to be better care in the community. I think as time goes on we will end up going full circle and have patient cared for long term in hospital. Well I digress the hospital now has turned in to luxury apartments but at least they did not knock the hospital down as so many have been.

VAL:~ I still have 9 more sessions in the diving chamber left and then I go as often as I feel I need to top up and make me feel as well as I possibly can.

I hope you it makes life more easier now the new post has been filled. How are you enjoying your new car?

Glad you could catch up with your friend shame about the time difference. Well the free cruise is a nice "side effect" from you medication. You may as well enjoy the air miles you accumulate from purchasing your medication.

Time for me to go as I am at treatment at 6pm and have to leave fairly early due to the traffic at this time of night. Hello to MO and hope you and your family are well. bye bye and take care all
Old 01-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #25  
Rosebud

HELLO CHICKIES ~ We had lovely sunshine for the morning and then we went into town. We saw the lady; but there was some mix-up becuz she was only there for some buildings that have the tiniest apartments I have ever seen. That wasn't what we were looking for; we were told it was for small houses; a misunderstanding, I guess.

VAL ~ we have been looking for years; the housing market here is terrible. We have very few available places to live; so many people in need of affordable, ground-level homes and apartments that it is ridiculous. We live ten miles in the country simply becuz we can't find any other place suitable in town. No-one is building anything; and the few places available are either upstairs or basement; or 3-4 bedroom houses that cost $1000.00 or more a month; and most have restrictions on them, like you can't have any pets.

DH says we might as well just stay where we are then; at least here, we have a yard and a deck and it's one floor, which I need; and the present landlord will tolerate pets (although she doesn't like them). We live in a free country that has so many housing rules it takes some freedoms away; and it is very hard to buy a house here, as they are so expensive now.

DID you get your papers signed for your new car? How do you like it? Our car is large and Dh says it feels like a boat on the road ~ lol! It does have a very comfortable ride; the heater works fab too. The last car road well, it just kept breaking down and leaving us stranded; it was very frustrating. I told DH, I just want one that runs well; has good heat and an air conditioner that works, a speedometer that works, and looks decent (that should be the basics at least).

PURPLE ~ I'm glad your sessions are going well; we sure hope that they give you some of the benefit that you are looking for. Yes, I think those nice hospice-like places in the country settings were esp nice for people who were sick; a peaceful and serene place to heal. I think places like that are more rare these days; too bad.

WELL, we had spagetti and meatballs tonight for dinner; we haven't had that in ages, but I do measure the cooked pasta though. Our little SWEETIE is mad about spagetti, so we always save some for her and PIN PIN too.

ANYWAYS, that's all for now; take good care ladies; your friend, ROSEBUD
Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #26  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Well the rain abated for one day but we are back to rain again which is disturbing as this means more flood warnings and actual floods for some people.

This will be a quick visit as I yet have lunch to prepare and also go for treatment later this afternoon and have to leave here 30 minutes before to arrive on time.

ROSEBUD :~ Glad you are enjoying your new car good to have one that works properly and not going to leave you stranded.

You have the same problem as us about property being very expensive to buy and trying to get a mortgage because of me would be very difficult as the letters MS scare them off. Fortunately I am able to rent a council bungalow which allows pets as long as they are not a nuisance to the neighbours. The council rent also is cheaper normally than private rent per month. I also have the added bonus of having a pull cord system in the bungalow and a fire alarm which is attached to the on call team for a very small price per month. Well worth it for peace of mind if I fall when DH is out I can get someone to me and sort me out. Mind you I have set the fire alarm off a few times cooking but DH tells them no problems the wife is burning my dinner which makes them laugh. Some of the properties that are being built today are being built on a handkerchief well not literally but you get the idea. So hence the rooms are so small you can just about stretch your arms out and touch both sides of the room. I know compared to many places UK homes are small but that is ridiculous. I wish more bungalows where built as there is always a need for homes with no steps for elderly and folks with physical challenges.

I also make a dish which we had this week also of meat balls and pasta. Like you I have to weigh the pasta to make sure that I do not go over board. DH bought me some measuring spoons and scoops and I now notice that they have the measuring system of cups. This will make life easier for me when trying out new recipes instead of trying to covert to the imperial system of pounds and ounces.

Time to go and start looking towards putting the dinner on else I will be starving going into the tank. bye bye ladies and take care
Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #27  
Rosebud

HEY THERE CHICKIES ~ just a quick one as it's late and I'm tres, tres tired! Just did housework, laundry, and stuff like that today while DH worked on the boat ~ lol! Just kidding ... haha! No, it was a quiet day. Snow is falling again; not surprising.

PURPLE ~ that's cute of your DH to say you are burning his dinner when the fire alarm goes off! Humor can make someone's day. We have subsidized housing here for families and those mini apartments for the elderly and/or infirmed. DH says he would feel CLAUSTROPHOBIC in one of them (we have viewed three of them); and that we are better off staying here for now.

Hope you all have a good night; take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #28  
Rosebud

HAPPY FRIDAY, LADIES ~ Wow, another week has gone by already! We woke up to another snow storm, so we just stayed home today. This is the most snow that we have had in the 15+ years that we have lived here. It is now up and over the garden fence and we cannot see the greenhouse anymore. We did get a bit of sun this afternoon though; and it's clearing up becuz I saw a bright two-third's moon out there a while ago.

Just went outside long enuff to clear a wee abit of snow from the deck for the furry babies. It's really heavy stuff and hard for them to pull their leash through. Anyways, nothing much going on here; had a regular housework day. Did keep on plan well again today though; had Cod fish with salad and veggies for dinner, and baked apples for my snack.

Last night, we played games (I won the series 2-3); tonight is movie night! Hope you all have a great Friday night and a wonderful weekend as well, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-18-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 240/236/140

Height: 5.2

Default New to this

Hello, I am new to blogs, postings, etc. but I am here at work with 24 hours to kill. Today the clients have left, so I am here by my self. I have been diagnosed with MS since 1994. In the past 5 years my mobility has be slowly getting worse and my mental feelings about it are draining me. I really must lose weight in order to get around better and help my husband's back when I fall. I am really trying to keep smiling but sometimes it is hard. I go to a TOPS (Take off pounds sensibly) group but have only lost 4 lbs. in a long period of time. I get discouraged because I cannot get out and walk much. Sorry about the boo hoo factor, but I just needed to vent. Thank you for reading and hope to make new friends. Whoo Hoo
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #30  
MSer living healthy

Hi Everybody

Dad has been admitted in to hospital today and this is a few days earlier than folk normally would have but he has stopped his warfrin (?spelling) and now he is going to start on heparin (spelling) both are drugs to thin the blood because after his heart bypass operation he developed a blood clot and was rushed into hospital. So what with my oxygen therapy treatment and visiting dad in hospital I will not have a lot of time left in the day. Mum is staying with me at the minute so we can take her to visit dad as she does not drive herself.

WHOOHOO :~ whoohoo to 3fc and especially to this particular thread. I fully appreciate how you are feeling as I am a MSer myself as is Valpal. Although others on here do not have MS they will certainly understand where you are coming from as they have their own challenges with mobility.

When I started on this journey of healthy eating way back in March last year I was 300lb as you can see by my ticker I have lost a fair bit. When I weighed 300lbs my mobility was going down hill fast and I was realistically looking at a chair within a year I think had I not changed my eating habits. Please don't feel alone in this journey of weight loss you are doing. I was fortunate and have a very supportive DH who every day when ever possible we had a little walk sometimes twice a day. When the weigh fell off I was able to walk a little further. So that has been my form of exercise on my weight loss journey. Don't look at the big picture for losing weight I break it down to small portions of 14lbs some do 10lbs or 20lbs and tackle that. Take your body measurements such as waist etc. That can be very encouraging when the scales seem to be stuck as you may find that you have lost inches instead of pounds. It is understandable that you get down but here is the right place to tell your troubles and people to listen and help if they can.

ROSEBUD :~ Thanks for posting in the thread when I have been unable to do so. Good for you keeping on plan, it sure does feel nice when you manage to do that. That baked apple sounds nice I like that but not had it in a long time.

Time for my bed I am so tired matchsticks needed to keep my eyes open. Sorry if my post is weird in any way it is not meant to be but when I am shattered I can puts some strange things. nightie night ladies catch up with all soon. Take care all
Closed Thread