Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 02:27 AM   #1  

Default Fibro #36

Well....you gals are so windy that it hit two pages again!

My arm felt a little better today and it was so nice out I did some work outside, but I don't think I over did, never know what you can get by with. I hope this treatment is working so I can get some things done.

Happy, it is just my arm in so much pain, the rest of me is doing pretty good and I think it is the way I am eating. I take something called grape seed exract ( antioxidents) and some other suplements.

Mima, you have a good time?

Alley, Welcome back..how did your Fibro handel the trip, sleeping and stuff?????

Meme, Your decorations sound delightful..I just put a few things out cause my arm wouldn't let me do too much! Take a picture so we can see! That is cheap for a camera..I need to get a digital I guess so I can get instant pics! Are you not keeping the kids anymore??? Did I miss something???? Tough call on the chocolate, it's a trigger food alright for lots of things!

Hi Joanne

Marigolds that border the garden
Old 10-21-2001, 07:24 AM   #2  

Default Hello

Candice-Your pictures are wonderful.I have a digital camera that I bought with my retirement money and it has a disc so all you have to do is put it in the computer. It is a Sony and very expensive and doesn't take good pictures inside but they have improved I'm sure. I use this forum to vent sometimes-I live alone!!!Sometimes that's not too bad but in these times I would like someone to lean on. And I have you guys!Candice-Thank you for starting a new forum and I'm glad your arm is better. Don't overdo it like I do when I feel better. My back is better so now I need caution.Hey Meme-don't overdo it but your house sounds beautiful.Today I'm going to take my grandaughter out for icecream. She's visiting her father close by.Stepgrand-that is. Hope Joanne and Happy are having fun and Ally is resting.Have a good day-Mima
Old 10-21-2001, 04:09 PM   #3  

Hi Candice...... Fibro was in remission, thankfully during the trip. My sister-in-law snored but this time I had ear plugs. BUT, I twisted my ankle stepping off the side walk into dirt and slammed my knee to the side-walk. And I was SOBER!!!. It was in Chinatown and all these little men came out to try and lift me to my feet. How embarrassing.
I need to get rid of the carbs. I have cheated all weekend giving myself a few days before i get back to my routine.
Did anyone watch the VH1 concert last nite. Lots of old rock bands. Very nice.
Am watching football...anyone else do that? I got into this a few years ago as someting to do on Sunday. I knit and make cookies all day.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:11 AM   #4  

If I fell on my knees I'd wind up in the hospital...been there...done that! Had surgery on both of mine already! Hope you didn't hurt anything too bad! I have a mental pic. of you and the little Chinamen...delightful! I've been cheating this weekend, too...got to quit that...bad Meme!!! I overdid it yesterday...moving the furniture and cleaning about did me in! I've been hurting really bad today so I'm planning to take tomorrow off completely. No kids so I can do that until time to teach. (And I'm thinking about cancelling lessons and taking the night off, too...I can do that since I'm the teacher!)

Candice...my daughter finally got the little one, Jenna, in daycare at the hospital where she works 3 days a week so I only have Ross after school for a couple of hours and then Jenna all day on Thur. and Fri....that is so much easier. She will be able to go full time as soon as they get an opening for Thur. and Fri. then I will only have to go pick Ross up at 3 and keep him until about 5:30 or 6. I will have to keep Ross on holidays and the other 2 kids occassionally, too, but at least it won't be on a FULL TIME basis...that was about to kill me. I never had any energy...was always tired and didn't feel like cleaning...let alone decorating. I just feel like I'm getting my life back. Is that terrible of me...to feel that way? They're my grandchildren and I love them to pieces but they just wear me down!

Mima...I know just how you feel about the board...I feel the same way sometimes...almost feel as close to you guys as I do my FAMILY! Funny, huh? And no one (who hasn't experienced it) would understand that feeling, would they? They'd think we were nuts! What do you guys think about the "meeting" notice posted on the board? You going to try to go? I wonder where it will be...
Old 10-22-2001, 07:41 AM   #5  

Default Hi

Happy Monday!I got in touch with some feelings yesterdayabout being lonelyetc. That's when I think I have to care for others but I really need to take care of myself. And I have been eating compulsively at night. Good thing I only have low pt. stuff in the house-Craving carbs and sugar and now I feel like I have a hangover. From eating!!Hope you are ok Ally. Everything in moderation Meme. Haha from me who needs to learn that!!!A little work-A little play-I'm going to make cookies and brownies today to send to Florida and bring some to my rheumatoligist-who lost his wife.He has a lot of kids.And I will rest. Got to make a decision about a friend coming to visit me in Fl.-she drinks too much-when she came last year I went nuts. I have confronted her-by putting that off she already made reservations for this year and she was going to stay with a cousin this year for a week but that is not going to happen so she wants to stay with me for 2 weeks. Any advice. I have dealt with other people's drinking my whole life!!!!!!!Oh yeah-she says she will control it!!!Bye for now-please respond to my dilemma. Hi to all. Mima
Old 10-22-2001, 09:29 AM   #6  

Default Hey There

Mima- I can understand your feelings about having someone around who drinks too much.. I would have to tell them that " I enjoy your company ,but I need this time alone right now." I would suggest they rent a place for themselves.A person who drinks will tell you anything, Then you are stuck and unhappy.
Meme- You sound like you are having so much fun! Wait till those children get into that hay bale!!One of the teachers where my daughter works did that in her classroom. Hay everywhere!
Candice - I hope your arm keeps right on getting better. I don't do much more than try to keep my house clean until Christmas. I think This year I will put up a little more. It looks like the family will all be here again.
Helly Ally-Happy- I have had a fat weekend and now I have to get back into my routine. I haven't gotten on the scale. I think I better wait a day or two.
Bye for now...Joanne
Old 10-22-2001, 09:33 AM   #7  

Default Hey There

I think I clicked wrong and ended up on another thread.. Sorry I messed up. Hope you guys find my message. ..Joanne
Old 10-22-2001, 03:58 PM   #8  

Default Hello

Candice - glad that your arm is improving - even if it is just a little, that is better than nothing. Just don't strain it.

Meme - Glad you are feeling better. Then you go and do what we all do when that happens, and that is over do it. It is fun to decorate for the seasons. I don't do to much for fall, but put a fall runner on the table with a fall basket full of fall flowers. Looks nice. Won't be long before I change it to Christmas decor. It is coming. I do hope you get some rest today.

No Meme, you are not a bad person for not wanting to babysit. Firstly, we have to remember, they are NOT our children. I could do the same thing, and be running back and forth to my daughters, and I will if it is an emergency or if my little gal is sick. I would be there for them in a heartbeat. Daily, however, they must learn to fend for themselves and they do just fine. If they know that MOM is always there, then they have no insentive to look for alternates. So just do what you can and be happy you can do that. Meme, my friend, you put WAY to much stress on yourself. You are a wonderful, caring person, but someone needs to care about you as well.

Mima - This does feel like home doesn't it. We all understand where we are coming from here on the board. At times we have issues that nobody else could possibly understand - no matter how much you tell them. This is a place for dieting, but all of our emotions and pain run right along with that, so we can always feel free to vent here. I am glad that your back is better.

Joanne - you are right about drinkers. Can't stand to have them around me. I am, of course, not talking about a casual drinker, but about an alcholic. They really are a sad lot of people with bigger problems than I can deal with. I guess it is like FM, and I don't understand why they do what they do, just like people don't understand FM.

Ally, so glad you had a good holiday. Like Meme, I can just see you in China town with the little men rushing to help you. I had a terrible feeling when I was in chinatown. Kept expecting to have someone jump out from between those old building with a big knife. I think I watched way to much TV at the time.

Now, I have to tell you the story of my exercising regime. I went to the Chiro a week ago and felt pretty good. He gave me some simple stretching exercises to do, and I started them very slowly on Tuesday. Did them once a day, and didn't try to do more than it said. By Friday, I had such pain in the lower back, I went back to the chiro. He said the alignment had held, but the muscles on the right side were inflammed. He sent me home to put ice on it. This I did, and then I used my wonderful Dr. Ho unit and that really helped. I took a couple of Tylenol 3's before bed and had a really good sleep. Saturday, I repeated the steps, and then left for my daughters (2 hr. car trip). I took a MEP 282 (asprin with codeine and muscle relaxer) and had a really good trip. Used Dr. Ho that evening and had another good sleep. By yesterday, felt a whole lot better.

I have not had much pain since I started the Upper Cervical Treatments, and the last one held for 5 weeks, but this pain was the every breath hurts type of pain. I could hardly walk and I am a big suckie now, I think. Whatever, I am glad it is gone. I think the Specta 12 that I take really helps me as well. My cold that I had (thought it was strep as my throat was just on fire), but it only last a few days and was gone. This tells me my immune system is functioning well.

That is my story, and I am NOT doing any more of those stupid exercises. I will take a weak back without the pain, thank you.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:27 PM   #9  

What is a Dr. Ho?
Old 10-22-2001, 05:19 PM   #10  

Default What is Dr. Ho?????

I think I have posted this before, but it is simply the most amazing little machine you could ever own. I have had mine for almost 3 years and could not do without it. It works sort of like a TENS machine but it has up to five different currents that stimulate and massage the muscle, so that your body never gets used to it. With the TENS machine, it is always the same current. I see they have a new one now, with 4 pads, and that would be great. Mine only has 2 gel pads.

You can go see it at http://www.drhonow.com/ It truly is one of the best buys you could ever make. It really helps with muscle pain and the pain from o/a. I love it and nobody can take it away from me. I know several others who have bought it( upon my recommendation of course), and love it. You always get a 30 day money back guarantee so you have nothing to lose, except some pain and to me, that is a good thing.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:00 PM   #11  

Default Hi

Thanks for listening guys-I think I'm going to say she come come if she can stick to the agreement but ask her to leave if she doesn't. I thought about saying no but she really is a good person who likes to drink and it's out in the open now. Happy-you sound like me-everytime I try to do the stretching I get in trouble. I can walk and swim.Gotta eat !But not too much. Sent cookies off and only ate one. Mima
Old 10-22-2001, 07:08 PM   #12  

Hope you guys are chuckling when you see me flat on my face on the sidewalk in Chinatown. And get this, I had just had dinner at the Stinking Rose restaurant and had the 40 clove garlic chicken. Those poor little guys....
Mima....I gave up on trying to catch up on old posts so I missed whatever you said about a drinking friend. But I had a tough time with my sister-in-law too. She used to routinely drink a few glasses of wine before dinner, but she never acted intoxicated. This time she seemed to "need" that wine and then would get downright schnockered. And this was not pleasant. I felt like a hypocrite cause we were on vacation and I had a few drinks too...but not to the point where I couldn't talk or read a menu. I got mad at her a couple of times, and one night left the room and walked the treadmill for a while.
What do you say to someone like this??????
Old 10-23-2001, 01:56 AM   #13  

Are you SURE you didn't drink too much Ally??? Maybe that's why you fell in Chinatown!!!

That's something I had to deal with growing up...my Dad drank too much on the weekends...I've taken many a beating because of booze! Thank God everyone in my family now are teetotalers!

I'm going to ask for one of those Tens thingies for Christmas. I used to have a Tens...cost a fortune back then but it worked pretty good...finally quit on me and I didn't get another. I think I remember you telling me about that before...I'd forgotten what it was called...sorry!

Looks like I'm taking on another part-time job in a couple of weeks. I have to go through an orientation at the hospital the first Mon. in Nov. (all day thing...hope I can make it that long!). Then I will be doing word processing for them at home. My daughter is so far behind she said she'd never get caught up. I type really fast so she asked me if I'd like to help her out...I said if it paid enough! ha Actually the pay is fairly decent to get to stay home and work my own hours. She said she would need me to work at least 20 hrs. a week for the first few weeks...all the nurses manuals have to be reconstructed and updated. She had a girl there to help her out but they moved her to another department so now she is swamped. But by going on as a part-time employee of the hospital (which is what I'll have to do to get paid) anyone in administration can use me...of course I can turn them down if I don't want the work! So...I have 2 weeks to learn Microsoft Word...I've always used Works! I've lost a few piano students...2 moved away, one had to quit because her dad lost his job and one wasn't getting anywhere and didn't really care so I let her go so now I have Thur. night free and since I only have Jenna 2 days a week now I think I can swing 20 hrs. a week. I guess we'll see...

I just sent off my fourth test for my Design Course...It took me most of the day to do it...hope it is right!!!
Old 10-23-2001, 07:39 AM   #14  

Default Hello

Meme-you are too much!!!You are so good on the computer .No one would ever hire me to type. Word isn't that much different from works-I have both.I only use it to edit a monthly newsletter.Ally-my friend came to visit me in FL. and got drunk almost every night. When she told me she was coming for 2 weeks I told her how uncomfortable I was with her drinking in excess and it was no fun for me. Years of Al-anon taught me to keep it on myself. She says she will keep it under control while she's there.If not I can say something because the cat is out of the bag.I also like to have a drink or 2-specially on vacation. But I do stop.My mother and 3 of her sisters drank -ex husband too-so I am very uncomfortable being around excesive drinking.I have choices whether to be with these people or not.Looks like rain and I want to walk with my aunt. Have a good day everyone. Mima
Old 10-23-2001, 11:05 AM   #15  

Well Mima, you may have rain, but my ground is white and it is still coming down. Supposed to stop snowing sometime today, and then flurries off and on for the rest of the week. It is only 34 degrees this morning and probably won't be much warmer today.

Good for you Meme. That will keep you out of mischief and still keep you busy. At least at home you can work when you can do it. That is something I would love to do.

Hi, Candice, Ally and Joanne. Hope you ladies are all having a great day.
Closed Thread