Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #91  

Height: 5' 4"

Carol, from what I have read and more compelling, is what I have experienced, once you get the stored carbs out of your system you don't have the highs and lows of BS and your hunger goes away. When I did Atkins 25 years ago, I was amazed at how hunger and cravings were gone, I remember thinking " OMG I will never be fat again" I was put on a script that I had to do a low fat diet on and it all fell apart. I have days were 600-800 calories are a struggle to get in. But when I think about it, I am not eating any empty calories, I am eating protein and fat, my body is fueled. I thought that perhaps I wasnt losing because I was not getting in enough calories. But logic tells me that my body has got to be running a deficit, and maybe is storing water. I just have to ride it out and accept that maybe I will only lose 2 lbs a month, that means it is going to take me a lot longer to get to goal. I have no choice but to accept that. I am going to keep on doing what I am doing, I did IF by moving breakfast an hour later a day and moving dinner an hour earlier until I was on a 6/18 window. I know I should do it now, but just can;t seem to get myself in the right frame of mind.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ann, I remember feeling exactly like you do when I was at your weight. It seemed to me that no matter what I did that I could not lose weight. I even went to a dietitian who told me to be patient that the weight would finally come off. They said that I was eating healthy, and I just needed to remember that I was doing good things for my body. I admit that was excellent advice, but it was not what I wanted to hear. It didn't keep me from continuing to look for answers. I don't understand why you aren't losing either, but you are good at staying OP and I pray you will eventually see rewards for it.

Carol Sue, I finally looked at the Diet Doctor's website. I haven't read on there in ages. The amazing thing is that his diet plan is exactly the diet plan I am looking for. His plan is an excellent woe that I can combine with IE rules along with IF. I found a really neat recipe for a cheese pizza crust. Thanks for reminding me of it.

I've also started reading from the other LC websites and there are still some good advice on there although it seems that it isn't as active as it was a few yrs ago. A lot of people have either left or just read instead of posting, but there is one lady on there who has been on there for yrs and gives out so much good info. I met her on there yrs ago when I lived in SC. She had gone classes by Dr. Westman at Duke's University who taught everybody how to eat low carb properly. She seems to still research and share so much information.

Any way, I do like the Diet Doctor info and plan to follow it. I am going to do 2 meals and a snack because it will take the snack in order to get all my protein. I will use the Premiere Protein shake to make that happen. I read that one lady on the site said that she drank it because it had her total vitamins in it. I think that is a very good reason to drink it along with the amount of protein. I will try to do this within a 6 hr to 8 hrs eating window which depends on when I am hungry as I also want to follow the IE rule of eat only when hungry.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-31-2022 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I know who you are talking about on the LC site. She's been there forever. Very few people on there anymore, like here. So many have gone to Facebook which I don't like. There is very little good information. They don't really talk about diet much. Actually, I think I have the information I need. The problem is implementing it. No one seems to be losing. Why? I lost weight so much easier on my first diet. Maybe because I was young. I didn't know anything about losing weight. I really did just eat less and move more. The weight just fell off and I kept it off for 10 years. I had a good reason for wanting to lose. I just can't get my mind on track like I did back then. I had no idea how many calories I was eating. Maybe that was the start of damaging my metabolism. I don't know when I started the compulsive over eating. I just recently realized I was doing it. I probably have it 60% under control.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:27 AM   #94  

I remember losing with ease. When I did Atkins all those years ago I only weighed myself every 2 weeks and I loss no less than 4 lbs a week, I lost 70 lbs in 2 1/2 months.
I just read a sign that says " OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST, I MISS MY METABOLISM THE MOST" I think that is it for all of us. I have had my thyroid checked and I am in the 'normal' range. I have had a lot of peope suggest I see a nutritionist or dietician, but I did that with awful results and I am afraid it will repeat, I don't need someone calling me a liar. I would love to have them put me on a fat farm, feed me what I journal and have me duplicate the steps I take.
I dont' eat empty calories, Breakfast is 2 eggs and either 1 chicken sausage or 2 slices lean bacon. Lunch is usually a large bowl of salad, sometimes I use Skinny girl low cal dressing, sometimes just vinegar and oil. Dinner is lean protein, Often with large serving of green veggies. I sometimes will have Atkins bars or shakes for lunchm or an afternoon snack.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:42 PM   #95  

Ann, maybe you aren't eating enough and your body is holding on to every oz, thinking its going to starve. I'm just repeating what I've heard. If I knew the answer I would not be struggling, too.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:16 PM   #96  

Weight this morning is 182. I show only .6 lb loss for this month. I looked back to January 1st and I've actually lost 7 lbs so far this year. So strange. I would do a No Diet woe with the IE rules no tracking just to see how things would go but I am so afraid of messing up what progress I have made at this point. My FBG was 97 and I did manage to have 13 days of FBG in the 90s and my goal is to get to the place that it will always be in the 90s.

I do like the guidelines of Diet Doctor because they are so similar to IE. I would love to be able to just relax and enjoy what I eat and not worry about it. From what I have read on there so far, you low carb most of the time, but you can have an occasional starchy carb and he also allows some fruit. I don't lose weight very quickly any way. So I think this is the plan I will use as my guideline and doing like he says, I am going to follow that plan for the next 2 weeks along with IF and see how it goes.

I ordered probiotics to get my gut straightened out so that I can hopefully get the potty issues under control. My goal this year is to get my bones and gut healthy. I am not going to think much about weight loss as much as just try not to gain. Not sure I want to weigh everyday any more. Thinking about weight once a week for a change.

Have a nice day everybody.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:36 PM   #97  

Trish, who are you following on Diet Doctor? From what I understood, they are a group of doctors.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:39 PM   #98  

Carol Sue, I decided to start out just reading Dr. Andreas Eenfeldts article A Low-carb Diet for Beginners and just follow along with what they say there. It seems that this is all info that was put on the site maybe by him and a Dr. Sher as of March 28th. I am going at this as if I've never done low carb. I also read info they published on there concerning IF. I even copied and printed some info that I think I need to remember. I noticed that Dr. Eenfeldts also has some YouTube videos that I will look up. There are a lot of articles that I still want to read/watch.

I remember reading him years ago and was impressed with the fact that he decided that the Western woe was making his patients sicker instead of helping them. That is when he created this woe.

DH and I eat berries and melons. I printed out an article about how dairy affects insulin and shared it with DH as he eats a whole lot of cheese. I do so hope we don't have to give up the dairy and can just cut back. I also found it interesting that while they do recommend high protein, they also had an article that said too much protein can raise insulin. I think it all comes down to eating a healthy amount of foods and I suspect that has to do with each person individually. I also found it interesting to see that if you aren't eating the correct amount of some nutrients that your body will pull it out and you can lose muscle and bone mass.

I remember a chef years ago who had a show on one of the cooking networks on Directv who taught you how to eat healthy and he used the principle of 80/20. Eat 80% healthy and 20% fun foods. Intermitte nt Fasting called it 20% play foods. I think I am getting some helpful info that will help me to not only stay OP but also break this stall so I can start losing weight again.

I don't think I'm going to need to drink a shake because I will be doing fine if I just keep my protein at the lower end of 65 grams for me. I also think keeping my carbs around 50 grams will be good too.

Ann, if you haven't checked out DietDoctor.com, you might find some answers there to help you get past your stall.

Time to cook dinner and then back to reading.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #99  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI all doing well after fasting yesterday.
Ann: I hear you, remember I am doing extended fasting to lose, it is not my maintenance plan. I just don't always stick to plan, and it disrupts what I am doing, and that's on me. Perhaps today will be good, as I have left over crustless quiche for brunch today already made. I also made my keto cheese biscuits so can have one of those along side.
We are planning supper now, and it will help if I am not over hungry when planning.
I think your overall eating is healthy and you are active. However, I would suggest going to basic IF (2MAD) might make the difference for you. Longer fasts are for different reasons for different people.
I also want to say I maintained for 2 years, and it was going off plan during the dark days of Covid19 (after a year of it) that I went off plan and regained some weight. I have that off now, but want to keep losing for my health and wellness.
kHave a good day friends.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #100  

I slept but feel very tired today. DH wanted to go out for breakfast but I said No again. I'm just not hungry this early and eating just doesn't interest me. Yesterday he asked if I wanted breakfast and I said No. He cooked for himself but there was so much leftover that I ate it. I hate that I do that but it just looked good and I am very weak when it comes to food. I don't think I will ever lose weight while married to him. He knows ui will eat it if its in front of me. I dont want to eat today either. If we go to Rodneys I want a veggie pizza so I want to fast until then.

Mad, when doctors like Dr Fung talk about fasting they say 24-48 hours and they say to do it 1-2 times per week. Intermittent fasting is mentioned in a completely different discussion. I think most people would have to become accustomed to IF before attempting a longer fast. I remember when I first started following Dr Fung he said the second day is the hardest so you might as well go longer. I remember when I fasted 5 days in the hospital it was easy . even seeing food trays brought in for my room mate and DH brought in coffee and 2 donuts every morning. After the second day my stomach realized it wasn't going to get anything. At that time I was just lying in bed. I wish I could do that now.

Trish I've heard of Dr Eenfeldt but never followed him. I know he is well respected. I believe you will do well following him. I'm not sure you and DH should be following the same plan. Maybe he just needs to eat more or an extra meal.

Ann I hope you are able to get your weight moving. Me too!

Old 04-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #101  

I got up at 7 am this morning WI was 2 hrs earlier. However, I went to bed earlier too so I could get a good night's sleep. I woke up at 6 am and was wide awake so I was able to get my exercise done before I took my shower. I usually shower at night but since I couldn't use deodorant until after mammogram, I took it this morning. I also wanted to go to the grocery store before I went to get the mammogram. Weight was back down to 181.0 so I'm starting this month 1.6 lbs down from March 1st and where I was at last primary doctor's appointment. FBG was 106 so not surprised because I had a snack last night and I guess it made it go up.

Carol Sue, DH and I don't follow the same plan 100%. We eat pretty much the same for dinner, but we don't eat the same the rest of the day. He has his cheese flavored popcorn that he eats when we can find it, plus his cauliflower at night. He also snacks on nuts. I usually have a brunch most mornings when we aren't going anywhere. When we do go somewhere, I will fast until we get back and eat take out and then have a snack in the evening.

So far this month we have no appointments so I'm going to use this month to get myself into a 2MAD routine. Because I usually wait until 3ish to eat when we go shopping or to a doctor's appointment, I've decided to use this time to train my body to fast from 7 or 8 pm until 3:30 or 4 pm the next day. So my meals will be dinner and an evening meal. I will just switch my brunch type of meals to between 7 and 8 pm so that I eat nothing after 8 pm. Since I stay up with DH, this will give me 5 or 6 hrs fasting before bedtime and a longer fast of 19 to 20 hrs daily. I hope that as I get used to this routine that my cloudy thinking and feeling wiped out will fade so I will feel more alert when shopping or at appointments during the fast.

I forgot to get crumbled sausage so I will make DH a cheese personal pizza and I will have a vegetable personal pizza and we will have a salad with it. I will have a Premiere shake for supper to get my minimum amount of protein.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #102  

/I do think IF will shake things up. I just have to get into the mindset. I am going to push breakfast back a couple hours a day until I get it to noon, then I will have dinner at 5. This will give me 19/5 I can do it M-F and see what it does for me. I have company here until Sunday afternoon, would be difficult to do during the visit.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #103  

Trish, this is so funny! DH also eats the cheese flavored popcorn. He used to get a big bag at Wal-Mart but they haven't had it for a month or so. One time he bought Herr's but it is a smaller bag but costs more.

I really liked my veggie pizza. The crust was very good. It was a small 4 cut personal size and I ate 2 pieces. DH got one too but his was a regular pizza with sausage.

I would like to fast until dinner too but I don't think I could skip breakfast with DH. Maybe occasionally. I rarely stay up late. If DH is out here flipping channels on the TV I will go in at 8 PM to watch something. We usually go to sleep by 11 or 12.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #104  

Carol Sue, I don't know why but since the pandemic, we haven't been able to find good cheese flavored popcorn.

I like eating Brunch and Dinner, but with me staying up late with DH, I get hungry. This is the only way I might be able to finally eat only 2MAD.

My fasting was not really easy for me today because I was pretty shaky during the fast which I think was due to me having to get up so early. However, I was determined to start this today with it being the 1st day of April. I was finally able to make it till 3:30 and once I ate, I was perfectly fine. I ended up fasting 19 hrs and had a 5 hr eating window. I hope that now that I will be able to get back to my regular routine that this will become much easier for me, and it will finally become a normal lifestyle for me. Carbs were a little high, but I accomplished the fast which was the big goal for today.

Ann, Good luck on finding the best way for you to work IF into your lifestyle.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:45 AM   #105  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI all: doing fine at 154 today.
I was out to see a friend and we had outside visits and walking together with our dogs on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday she let me know she has covid symptoms. Her rapid test at the time was negative. I did one and it was also negative, and DH and I have no symptoms, although there is a little bit of congestion, but we are at the start of the spring allergy season. So we are just going to isolate for a couple of days and see how it goes. If no symptoms and a negative test on Monday, we will just go back to normal.

Carol: I think Dr. Fung talks more about IF and having 2MAD and a 4-8 hour eating window more in his books, and talks about insulin resistance and the need to reduce insulin levels and production to lose weight, but doing IF and having the break. For many, that's all they have to do to lose weight, especially if they are careful about how much and what is in their 2MAD. I do that to maintain now, and find it totally natural. On days I eat, I find I need about an 8 hr window because I don't get hungry at all with a 6 hr window. I do eat well at my meals.

Just 3 weeks until the new cupboards go in, we will finish packing up this weekend, since we have no social things, they are all cancelled.
Have a good day friends.
Closed Thread