Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #511  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, I have never used Cassava flour. Like regular flour it is high is starch and carbs for that reason. I don't think its a good substitute except for gluten free alternatives. But its not commonly used here, there are other easier to get alternatives available.
Up early today, didn't have the best sleep, will have a "meditation" nap later. I don't want to fall asleep when I go to the movie later this afternoon with my friend.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #512  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Wt 185.5 FBG 124

Happy to see another half lb gone. Slow but sure. My stomach gets very nervous when I get upset and I don't feel like eating but I will eat something. I have eggs, cottage cheese, lettuce, frozen veggies, some meat that I don't really want right now. Saving that for when DH comes home.

I took the day off from the hospital today to get some things done. I'm making headway. Applied for senior transportation. Woman I talked to was nice and helpful. Got phone number for case worker. She explained about where he was going. It's a small nursing home with a rehab center 2 miles from our home. He will probably go there today and it will possibly be for a week. Then he will come home and have a home nurse come in and a therapist to continue rehab. Today DH said he never thought he would ever be able to walk like he's doing after that first day that he was so weak and in so much pain. He does a lap around the hall twice a day with only his walker. A nurse and a tech walk alongside him to make sure he doesn't fall, but they no longer hold onto him. He goes faster than I expected, and faster than the nurse's expected, so I hope he make good headway at the rehab facility. Today he said he thinks he will improve as time goes on and is more accepting of the rehab center. I want him to be the best he can be by the time he comes home. I'm mostly concerned about him doing the stairs and getting in and out of a vehicle. I think the end is in sight. I know it will take some time for him to fully recover, but he will feel so much better to be home in his own house.

I still have to set up a pharmacy for his prescriptions. I usually like Walmart, but I now want these to go to Rite Aid because they deliver. It is a mile or so from home and I'm pretty sure they accept our insurance. I hope I'm able to set that up.

I think I am going to have to make some kind of arrangements for snow removal, for the driveway and steps. DH said not to worry about it, but I have to, if he is going to have nurses and therapists coming and going. I have no idea who to call. My step son lives an hour away and works full time so he can't do it unless it snows on a weekend. My son-in-law lives 3 miles from us but also works full time, and it somewhat undependable. It would be great if we didn't have much snow this winter but I can't count on that, but maybe I can pray for it. LOL If it's a light snow I can sweep the steps and use ice melter, but a heavier snow will have to be cleared at least enough that people can walk, and I have to be able to walk out to the mailbox.

I will have to find out about parking and visiting hours at the rehab. At least it's close to home. It's also near a grocery store in case I need things. His daughter should be able to visit him easily too, unless she has to work until 9PM.

Mad, they are giving him Vicodin every 4 hours, and occasional Tylenol now that I suggested it. He is usually pain free until after he walks. It's mostly the hip that hurts, and some pain in his chest incision from the heart surgery. I don't want him to have pain, but also don't want him to become addicted. There's a fine line between need and want. I can tell the pain is not as bad as it was at first, and it's not constant like it was.

Thank you for all prayers.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #513  
Madeleine

Carol: I am surprised they are giving him tylenol between the vicodin doses. Vicodin has acetaminophen in it, which is tylenol. He could have naproxen or ibuprofen (Aleve or Advil/Motrin) in between though without getting too much of something, and usually no negative drug interactions as far as I know.
Yes, if he is having trouble going 4 hours between doses we have to wonder if he is getting as much as he needs, 4 hours isn't long. I hope it gets better soon for him.

I hope you can find a way for you to be able to continue eating your way when he gets home so you don't undo the good you have done yourself.
I am not happy with how many crackers I ate on the weekend, its my problem but I am addicted, and eating well most of the time doesn't mean I don't go right back to my carb addicted ways if the food is in front of me. Sigh.
Fasting today.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #514  

Mad, the doctor approved the tylenol in between. I don't think they gave it to him more than a couple times. I also don't know the dose of the Vicodin he's taking. With a heart problem, I am not allowed to take any NSaids, so that might be the same with him.

I too, am concerned about holding onto the loss I've had. My stomach is getting used to not having food all the time. I realize I am doing low calorie eating and don't intend to continue that way. I am not really eating VLC because I am occasionally having toast with my eggs. I was eating DH's dinner roll he didn't eat with his meals, as bread is my crack. I am like you with crackers so I have mostly stopped buying them. I have some crackers in the house and also some Cheez Its, but I'm pretending I don't know they are there.

DH had a craving for Dove Chocolate so I bought a bar in the hospital gift shop. He ate one piece and I had a couple. About half the bar is left and I'm ignoring it. So there's a few things that are in the house that I'm avoiding, the crackers and the chocolate. Maybe I will be able to continue with that.

I took the car to get gas in it. That's the first time I've pumped gas for years. DH always did it. I'm finding that it hasn't been beneficial in the long run for him to be so "protective" doing everything for me. I recommend for all women to retain their independence, just in case.

DH just called and the home is terrible. He wants out. So I guess I'm going over there.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #515  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Day 3 on CAD. So far so good. FBS this morning was 166 and after 1st c coffee with stevia and h&h and just before breakfast it was 144. Strange how everyone says it raises bs, but it seems to lower mine. Same when I used Splenda, but I mostly use the stevia because it is not as sweet tasting to me as Splend. My weight seems to be coming down .4 lbs a day right now. That is something I wouldn't even notice if I wasn't checking daily. Not much but steady and that is a good thing. Does mean fast weight loss, but steady is good.

Carol Sue I think it is a good idea for you to have the snow removed during this time. Not only do you not want the nurse or therapist to fall, but you don't need to fall either. Do you have rails on the outside steps? I know it would be a cost, but well worth it if you don't. My niece had one put up at her house for her Mama to go up and it sure made it easier for me too when we went there for TG.

DS said she most of the pain your DH is having probably is from the pins they had to put in his hip. She was surprised that they are giving the pain meds after he walks. She said they usually give them before. I remember when my best friend had her knee surgery that she was having so much pain when exercising the knee in therapy. When brought to her doctor's attention, he told her to take the pain pill before she went to therapy. One position was still painful for her, but the pill did make it a little better taking it before. Maybe therapy will do it that way at the facility.

fatmad Thanks for the info about the flour. I probably won't buy any. I can have regular flour at RM, but someone had asked on CAD about almond flour for CM and of course the Heller's books are out dated for that kind of info so we have to guess at that even, but I try to stay close to what they said. The only place I stray is that since we have learned that a lot of the veggies they only recommended at RM should be allowed at CM because the things we have learned about the GL/GI. Even then I am careful.

Going to see Daddy in a bit. DH thinks we ought to put a small Christmas tree in his room so I want to see if could put it by the tv without blocking the tv view. It would be nice there because the man in the other bed never gets out of bed, but they both could enjoy it. Also we have been talking about getting him a dvd player for Christmas and I thought we could probably get him so old movies which shouldn't be expensive so that if someone stole them it would be no big deal.

When DS went out to see him yesterday he was feeling really down and worried about getting to where he can't feed himself. He was better when I talked to him today. I apologized for not being more positive with him lately and told him I wish we could get therapy for him because I'm still not sure if he could walk or not. They got him better and then because he slowed down, medicare stopped paying. I have always been his cheerleader so to speak when everyone else was negative. Me being depressed didn't help him very much. So for now he is feeling better.

BIL is taking him a little fridge so he can get him some cheese and a few foods and drinks he likes and keep them cold. He goes to Walmart tomorrow and DS saw a schedule for this week and they are also going out to eat Wednesday. He is making friends and spends a lot of time out of his room visiting with them besides the hand therapy he is getting. So that is good news for right now.

BBL
Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #516  

Went up to see DH. That place is a ZOO!! It's a semi private room. They had him in a room that was entirely too hot. He raised holy heck then they moved him, but overall, the place is way too hot, and he is one who likes cool. He said this room is better...not great, but better. All the halls are lined with people sitting in wheel chairs. Some talk to you as you go by, wishes you a Merry Christmas. One keeps saying "Help me" over and over. I don't know how many other are like DH, there for therapy. I don't know what all they offer there. I just hope the therapy is worth it. They lost one of his bags when they moved him from one room to the other. It was the one that had the charger for his phone. I went up to the desk and asked about it to find it before it was lost permanently, then after they finally found it, I got a marker and put his name on his 3 bags. Other than the charger, it's just clothes, so nothing of value, but that charger keeps him in touch with the outside world. He would go crazy if he couldn't call me. The charger is a power bank I got for $11 at Walmart.com. It is a lifesaver since he was in the hospital. I think I might order another one because I don't trust them to not "lose" it again.

I have learned so much in the past two weeks, including how to drive again. It's amazing what you can do when you have to. It only takes me a few minutes to get there and I make sure I leave by 4 so I get home before it gets dark. I'm not ready for night time driving yet.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #517  

I posted another long post but just as I was leaving the page I noticed that it did not "take" but it was too late.

It's good that you are getting a little drop in weight at a time. They add up. With my balance beam scale I don't see the changes unless they are 1/2 lb or 1 lb. I don't look at the little ticks in between. It's not like a digital scale that shows tenths.

When DH was in the hospital they would take him for his walk before it was time for his next dose of pain med, so that's why he had to take it after his walk. At this new place, they told him to ask for his pain med 30-45 minutes before his therapy starts.

I don't think they put pins in his hip. At first that's what they said they would do, then they changed their minds and did a partial hip replacement.

We have railings on our front steps. They are mostly decorative, but you can hold them going up and down. There are 5 steps, then a landing turns the corner, then 3 steps. We rarely come in and out that way. We usually go through the garage and up or down the cellar steps. When I had visiting nurses coming here after my hospital stay DH opened the garage door and let them come up that way instead of using the front steps. It was around this time of year. My surgery was early Dec. I was home before Christmas, but because of my complications I had the nurses coming for several months in the new year. DH will probably have that same situation, but hopefully without the complications.

It's nice that your Dad can have these extra things in his room. You can get used DVD's at second hand stores like Goodwill if you have any near you. At Goodwill they are $2 or $1. That's good that he has a nice room mate. The guy who is in the room with DH is nice but he said he is leaving in 3 days. Who knows who they will bring in next. Maybe with the holidays coming there won't be anyone new coming in.

I just realized that even though it is not officially winter yet, the days will soon start to get longer, after December 21. It's hard for me to realize what time of year it is. With all that's going on, we don't have any Christmas decor up at all, and it surprises me when I go other places and they are all decorated. I went into the grocery store yesterday and was surprised to hear Christmas music playing. I still have the Christmas spirit. It is about the birth of Christ, and he is helping us through all of this. For that I am thankful.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #518  
Madeleine

Carol: I am so glad you are healthy enough to regain your independence. Thats a real gift.
I went to see the new fantastic beasts movie with my neighbour friend. She is a lovely person, but very unhealthy, hugely overweight, diabetic, high BP etc. She can't walk very far, and sounds very wheezy when breathing. I bite my tongue, she has said she is not interested in changing anything. It makes me sad, but I have to accept I cannot control things for others. I am not the boss of anyone but myself.
The movie was fun, but its not the last, a real cliffhanger ending, which I think I can say without doing spoilers.
Trish, its great that you are able to stick to plan for a bit. No wonder you are losing the weight. Thats almost half a pound a day, and will add up quickly.
I have been fine up to now, didn't even have any of the popcorn my friend offered up, but this evening is harder to maintain the fast. I don't think I will do a 2 or 3 day fast, and will likely eat tomorrow. I just don't feel up to a long fast at this point. Maybe if I do breakfast and lunch tomorrow, then supper only on Wednesday I will do ok.
Have a good evening.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #519  
Madeleine

The day is starting off well. Slept well, weight is 155, and I feel fine, except bloated from the constipation. I did go yesterday, but still not "normal".
The fibre supplement that is available has an ingredients that gives me eczema, so I want to get rid of it. I will go online and order something if I can find something reasonable. Going gluten free can be a pain sometimes.
Nothing big planned today. Just a walk and eating breakfast and lunch, doing chores and errands before I leave tomorrow for three days. No word yet about my car.
I would like to be able to take the rental back before going away.
Hope things are going well, and Carol, DH will settle in well enough, and wanting to get out will help motivate him. I am glad they have changed the pain relief regimen to before exercise, that's the way I was taught, and we still use for getting mamas up post c-section. I really don't get what they were doing in the hospital. No wonder he was in pain so much. Its hard to catch up when you get behind. I think this will work better for him. By the weekend maybe you will have him home.
Have a good day everyone
Old 12-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #520  

Mad, I sometimes think my legs are getting stronger too, as I am being force to walk some distance to hospital rooms. Going down the cellar steps for things instead of having DH do it. I wish I could sleep better, though. I won't take anything except Tyenol occasionally. DH sometimes calls me after I've fallen asleep because he needs to talk to me and I continue to tell him it's fine to do that because I know how lonely and outcast he feels. I catch up when I can.

185 this morning and FBG 169 I didn't take any G yesterday at all, and I'm not even sure I tested. I hate eggs and toast for breakfast and cottage cheese for dinner. No lunch. I know that I'm eating low calorie and that's what's causing the weight loss along with stress. I am not eating low carb, but the toast helps sustain me when I'm not sure when I'm going to eat again. Having said that, I know that's not the best way to lose weight but right now I cannot do any different. I have other priorities. I just hope I'm not harming my health.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mad. We cannot make others change or want to change. I don't believe they are happy with themselves that way, but mostly are afraid of change.

We have exceeded our 500 allowed post count, so I have started a new thread for Winter.

Follow this link.

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dia...18-2019-a.html

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-11-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Closed Thread