Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

p.a. Congratulations on 70 lbs gone. You are doing great.

Carol Sue That is interesting about the liver dumping getting rid of the access glucose. It actually makes since. My sister just said to me Sunday that she has a low FBG, but I seem to have a high FBG and lower readings during the day. I remember reading some where (I want to say by Dr. Bernstein) he said not to worry about the FBG if the readings throughout the day is good. Maybe I need to just ride this out with my FBG until it comes down. Thanks for sharing that.

I had thought about eating a snack at night before bed, but I'm not hungry before I go to bed and don't really want to eat when I'm not hungry.

Phone call, BBL
Old 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Watercolor, I use the phrase "80/20" just as an example to mean that I do not stay 100% carb free. I never really figured out what percent I actually use. To me it just means that if I do have a day when I eat starchy carbs, it's not often, and I try to keep portions small.

Fickle, it really depends on what low carb plan you are following. Strict Atkins followers consider vegetables to be carbs and avoid them, mostly. People like me who are doing what is probably moderate carb eat veggies, but avoid starchy carbs. I don't think a little bit of collard greens would be the cause of a higher FBG. It's actually caused when your body feels it is not getting any food so it releases glucose. Excess protein is stored as glucose. I believe the only thing that doesn't convert to glucose is fat. I would be ecstatically happy to have your blood sugar readings. I really wish my doctor would have told me when I was having readings that indicated pre-diabetes instead of waiting until it was full blown, but would I have been concerned enough to do something about it? Probably not.

I should probably be taking Vit D. I am rarely outside, and PA is not exactly a wealth of sunshine! LOL I have it, and I take it sporatically, but don't feel comfortable taking it because I have never had my Vit D checked and don't know for sure that it's low, but am just assuming. I read that elderly people, like me, don't absorb a lot of Vit D from the sun. In the past I have taken some supplements, like chromium, kelp, Curcumin but I don't stick with it very long because I have no proof that it's doing any good and feel it could do harm if I'm not actually deficient. It's hard to get Vit D from food.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #18  

Trish, I would like to figure out where I read that about FGB. It was just in the past couple days, but I'm always looking through books and reading stuff online.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Trish, I would like to figure out where I read that about FGB. It was just in the past couple days, but I'm always looking through books and reading stuff online.
I understand. I do the same thing. I will be researching on it more to see what I can learn. If I find it, I will share it hear.

That phone call was my daughter who is also T2 diabetic. I just got her tracking on MFP again. So proud of her.

Concerning your 80/20 eating. I use that phrase a lot too, but I'm not sure I really know my ratio. I heard a chef who cooks healthy I saw years ago and he used it so I picked that up from him. I liked that. Also one of the health gurus use it too. I really try to keep it better than 80/20 when we eat out and it is my plan to eventually learn to keep it more of a 90/10 when cooking at home. I am not sure I will ever do it, but it is a goal.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #20  

I try my best to eliminate all starchy carbs, but if they pop up in my line of vision and I eat them I don't freak out about it, but just try to keep the portion small. That's my 80/20.

I knew your sister was diabetic but didn't know it about your daughter. Is that your bio daughter or step daughter?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #21  

Carol Sue She is my step-daughter. When I told her I was using MFP she looked it up and realized that she had used it before and she actually lost weight using it. I just realized that when I'm really working at this that it influences her to do it as well. Maybe I need to use that as my incentive.

My sister is doing great. Her doctor put her on some new medicine that is injected in the tummy. I can't remember, but I think it only has to be injected once a week if I remember rightly, but the doc told her he didn't want her reading to go under 80. Her FBS was 80 the last time I talked to her.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #22  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

PA, your tastings are not particularly high, your 100 would be 5.5 in my land, and under 5.6 or 5.8 (depending on which guide you go by) is considered normal for non-diabetics. You may be releasing some extra glucose from the liver, but not so much to be worried about.

The visitation, funeral and reception were all at the church, to make it easier on the folks with disabilities (her husband, sister and mother) and was very nice. Afterward, one of the other midwives and I went to the house, changed our clothes, and cleaned a few things up. Amy walked the dogs and vacuumed, and I changed the cat litter, cleaned out the vacuum cleaner of the mats of dog hair so it had suction again, and washed floors and the trash bins. There were some funky smells that are now improved. Care of mother got ahead of house cleaning, as is right and proper. They will have a lot to do to get the place ready to sell. I don't think her husband will be able to return to the house and live on his own. He came from the hospital and went back there afterward.
But on a happy note, the daughter who did most of her mother's care, called me to ask me to be her midwife, she just realized she was pregnant! I was her midwife with her first, but she lived away for the 2nd. She has just married a lovely man, (the father of the other two is an abusive jerk, who abandoned them) and she is really excited. I feel very honoured and so happy for everyone in the family.
I was really happy to complete the day with happy news and a sense of practical completion, and even managed to eat properly today.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Well my fasting BG was 101 this morning. I did eat a huge ribeye and some broccoli and cheese last night. I'm not going to worry with it anymore. My readings have drastically improved in the 2 months I've been losing weight, so either the weight loss or the metformin is doing its job. I go for another A1C in two weeks.

I do nutritional ketosis. I try to keep carbs 50 net or less per day, often they end up around 30 or less. I don't eat starchy veggies, but do eat others. The only sugars I ingest are in my coffee creamer and the occasional tbl of ketchup, bbq sauce, or honey mustard. Down another 1.2 lbs this morning. .6 left to go to win my diet bet and still a week and a half left!!!

fatmad - sorry again about your loss. At least the house is smelling better now and hope they have good luck selling it. I know it has to be hard on her husband and family. Grats on the midwife job! My hubby and I have been ttc and hopefully this year I'll be having to make similar decision!

I've found MFP to be very helpful and out of all the tracking apps, I like it the best. Glad your sister is doing better - pattygirl

Wannabe - I had read on some keto sites about the fasting glucose being high in the morning when you are doing low carb because of the liver dumping glucose. Then my doctor told me that apparently around 3 am your body starts dumping glucose and hormones to prepare for dawn and waking you up, which can also make your fasting glucose high. My a1c was 8.0 and he pretty much straight up said I had type II, but now I'm wondering if maybe it really was prediabetes. I had less than a month before gone on a cake baking spree for a week and really over ate the sugar and carbs LOL. I don't really think that had anything to do with it, my hubby does, but I know the a1c goes back 3 months which would have been Dec, Nov and October. All of October and most of November I was low carb. I'm actually looking forward to a Dr. visit for once in my life LOL!

In a complete 180, I think I'm going to ask to stay on met until I get to goal. I think it's helping with some other issues. My hair isn't falling out in the shower nearly as bad as it used to and my facial hair is not as thick. I was never diagnosed with PCOS, but other than the wonky periods, I always had most of the other symptoms. Since my periods are clockwork, never had a Dr. test me. Or it could be the weight loss... Either way, crossing fingers I see 199 soon!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #24  

Morning everyone

Mad I'm in Canada as. Well as you so we use the same table, but I think you were talking to Ficklehearts.

Carol I'm going to see if I can find more info on that ...I get confused about the liver dumping. I really don't understand it.But,,,I know it happens to me every night. I'm one of the ones that has a high fast blood glucose reading but I run normal the rest of th day. I'm very happy to read what you wrote. I was getting concerned. Being off that 1 medicine has really changed my numbers in the morning. It's shocking when you start tracking sodium,,,it's in no processed foods naturally. One egg has 100 grams of sodium.

Trish your setting a good example for your daughter.

I use MFP all the time,,,I track calories, sodium and carbs.

Yesterday I went out for lunch,,,this place was not the greatest place to eat low carb but I did my best. Scale jumped up a bit overnight. I was expecting it to. Water water water today.....
Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #25  

Fickle, I believe that an A1c of 8 indicated diabetes, not pre diabetes. People who are not diabetic can eat all those sweets and still have a normal A1c. Their body processes the sugar properly. I am not a medical professional so I could be wrong, but this is how I understand it.

I think the way you eat is very good. I forgot that you were doing the diet bet and I'm curious to see how it goes. Which one are you doing? Did you have to send pictures standing on the scale periodically? I was going to do it and that's why I bought my digital scale but I chickened out. I really need something to get me psyched up.

My doctor is concerned when my A1c goes over 7, and when it goes over 8 he panics. I'm sure hoping I have a better one next time, below 7. I can't imagine ever having a FBG under 100, and I am happy to see 150, even though I know that's still too high. I had a lot of running around to do today so that was my exercise, but I hope to get back to formal exercise tomorrow. My food has been pretty good for the past few days. I haven't tracked so I don't know what my carbs actually were.

Mad, that was very nice what you did for your friend's family. I'm sure they appreciate your efforts, handling the luncheon and then cleaning up the house.

Did you miss my post asking for more information about the shingles/poppers? I would like to know if they are something we have here in the states.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #26  

If this works this is the link Carol. Nope I deleted it,,,didn't work. Google Pop chips. That's the proper name for them

Last edited by p.a.; 03-09-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #27  

Busy day today. DGS is having problems and wanted to talk, finally. Don't know if he will graduate college or not. He has lost his focus and knows it, but doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it. He hasn't had been on meds for his Aspburgers (sorry don't know how to spell it). He is going to doctor next week to see if he can get some help. Bless his heart, I personally think he has been pushed to do/study what he is doing and now he is experiencing burnout. Have to try to get him through the next approximate 6 weeks of school.

I tried to post here earlier but had a phone call in the middle of my post and lost it.

I've been reading on a low carb group on another site called Eat Fat Get Thin, but they are following guide from another book with that title by another doctor Barry Groves who was a doctor in England. I googled his name and found that his wife started eating this way in 1962 and he died at the age of 77 evidently living a very vibrant life until then.

Any way I learned something very interesting from the information someone took his book and shared the basic plan on the thread. I have had problems getting FBS down when I did Atkins etc. I would eat so much protein that I would get sick of it and quit.

I learned that you need to take your Lean Body Weight (googled and found an online calculator) and then took my LBW and multiply that by .6 to find out how many grams of protein that I should be eating. I learned that women should eat between 60 to 80 grams of protein a day. My LBW shows that I should not eat more than 66 grams of protein a day. My DH needs no more than 81 g. When we eat more protein than we need, then that extra protein acts like a carbohydrate. Thus why low carb didn't seem to work for me in the past.

I went on MFP and set my percentages according to how I need to be eating for weight loss is 15%/60 grams carbs, 70%/120 grams fat and 15%/60 grams protein.

I also read on line where a woman joined a gym and was told to eat this way and exercise only 15 minutes a day. She was so shocked because she thought a 15 minute workout was supposed to be a warm up. This was also in another country, but can't remember if it was England or not. I do remember Dr. Hyman talking about eating his EFGT plan that his weight came off and health improved and he was exercising less. I haven't got to exercise in his book yet. I hope that is right because I only did 20 minutes on the bike and had to force myself to do that tonight. I'm still feeling almost lethargic and I'm thinking this is probably what we call Atkins flu and believe it will pass in a few days when my body adjusts to burning fat. I just hope the energy hits me rather soon. I just don't think the reaction to the new pneumonia shot would last this long. So it has to be the adjustment to the diet.

It's late so I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #28  

p.a. I googled and found out that these are available in my local Walmart. I don't even go into the chip aisle, and I would never have thought this is what Mad is using the way she's using them, eating one as a snack with something on it. If I would buy them, DH would put them in a bowl like potato chips and they would be gone the first day. LOL I will have to look the next time I'm at Walmart and see what I think. The way she described it I thought it was some type of cracker.

Trish, that book by Barry Groves is the Eat Fat Get Thin book that I have. After looking through it, it went into my discard box. It is too much like Atkins for me to ever follow it. Mark Hyman's plan is much more like what I eat. I don't lose much, but I don't know if I would lose more if I ate more like Atkins.

I have read before that excess protein is converted to glucose in the body. I found your percentages interesting. What will you eat to make up your 120 gms of fat? I don't actually plan my macros, but when I do enter my food on my online tracker I notice that my fat is always a big percentage, even though I do not follow high fat and don't add extra fat to my food. I will have to look closer and see where my fat is coming from, just out of curiosity. I would probably never track my macros as closely as you do, but I learn from what you are doing and it makes me sit up and pay attention, even if I don't change what I'm doing. I just hope and pray for your sake that this works as well for you as WW did. I have never seen your have such good success as you did with WW this time.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

The Dietbet ends March 21st, so I'll let you guys know for sure how it went. I feel hopeful I'll make it since I only have .6 lbs left to go and a good week to lose it. My only worry is the fact I start my period that week, and I always gain 5 lbs of water, ugh. I've already started upping my intake just in case. Contemplating fasting the day before weigh in (jk).

Basically you take a picture of your feet on a digital scale with your starting weight showing, then another picture of your full body in the mirror standing on the scale. You only have to do those at the start and at the end. All the other weigh in's are simply unofficial entries; at least for the month long ones. I think the 6 month ones require official weigh ins every month. I didn't sign up for that one because the disqualifications were insane. If you lose more than you were supposed to, you lost; if you didn't lose enough in a month, you lost. Just didn't seem fair. I signed up for the 4% in a month challenge. When I weighed the first time I was suffering from pms bloat so it was 214. That left me with 8.6 lbs to lose. The pot is at $64,000. If I win, I'm guaranteed my money back so I figured it was worth the risk.

Had a good eye Dr. visit yesterday. Cost of glasses is insane. Ouch, but I suppose I have to see. Went with my mom and ended up at a Mongolian BBQ place. Skipped the rice and just had egg drop soup and the stir fry. Yum. Got leftovers for lunch today and grilled chicken for dinner. I am ready for Friday.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #30  

Fickle, the one I was looking into was Dietbet.com I think. You had to take those pictures, plus you were not allowed to lose more than a certain amount at a time. There was no problem of that with me. LOL I didn't think they had one that was only for 1 month.

EDIT I just looked it up and they DO have it for one month. I remember now that the reason I didn't want to do it was because I had issues with Paypal in the past. I opened an account for something and shortly after that the credit card I had use was compromised. I suspected that Paypal had something to do with it so I cancelled my account. I know that so many people use Paypal and it's supposed to be safe, but you know a bad experience causes you to shy away. I really think it's a great concept and I wish I had the guts to do it or find something similar locally.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-10-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Closed Thread