Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Fickle, your Fitbit estimates the calories you burn all day just by being alive, not just your walking calories. The estimate is based on the personal info you entered when you started it up. So, if you left it sitting on your dresser, it would still measure calories. My friend tracks tons more steps and stairs than I do, but hers shows way less calories. I wondered why. I changed my stats to equal her weight and height and mine tracked a lot less calories than usual.

I also agree with not eating extra food to reach someone else's idea of healthy calories. Unfortunately, I never have that problem.

We went to the funeral home yesterday for a neighbor. She was diabetic, I don't know if she was type 2 or type 1. She had lost her eyesight and has been pretty sick for the past several years. I always thought of her as "older" but yesterday I learned that she was only 8 years older than I am. That was an eye opener, and more reason to be more stringent with my diet and get back to exercising. I know I'm not going to live forever, but I hope to be active up until the end. Not lying in a bed for years.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-31-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #137  

Fickle, do you have MFP synced to your Fitbit? I just did that, but I really don't know what I'm doing. LOL I am signed up for MFP but I've never used it. I use a different tracker when I track, and I'm used to that one and was never able to get used to MFP, but I'm going to try. Also, do you track your exercise on it? If so, then I guess my previous comment was wrong. There is so much that can be done with the Fitbit but I don't take advantage of many of it's features. Maybe if I did, it would help me become more successful.

MFP has my calories set at 1400. I don't think I can lose on that many calories.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Sorry about your neighbor. I agree. I know I'm not going to live forever, but I want to live a quality life, not a life of existence and sick. I worked in a nursing home for at one time. Some of those blessed people I took care of didn't even know where they were or why. I don't want that kind of life.

I didn't go to bed until almost 3 this morning. I couldn't sleep so stayed up reading Dr. Fuhrman's book. DH is interested in what he has to say too. He watched his 1st wife lose his eyesight, amputated toes and heart disease. She followed the ADA diet. When we married we watched the home movies of their life with their kids etc and I saw her eating food the ADA suggested she eat. DH mother told me how she would make diet food/desserts for his wife to eat on special occasions so she wouldn't feel deprived. She died after a heart surgery and DH says if she had lived that she would have lost her legs because they had already turned almost black. They were dying.

He is beginning to see that he needs to be off some of this medicine. We both believe that our doctor is trying to take care of us but just doesn't know these things we are learning.

I still don't want to go vegetarian at this time, but I am not going to rule it out. However, from what I'm reading so far, he seems to be saying less carbs, less fat and less protein. I'm understanding the WWSP a little better as I read his book as well as how the GL works. I honestly think done correctly that the WWSP with a GL guide would be similar to his plan. I also believe eating a moderately low carb diet like I'm eating now would work the same. I believe eating fruits, veggies and protein in the form of meat will work just as well.

My FBS has gone from 189 the 1st day on my own MLC plan to 142 today. My weight did bounce up a bit yesterday although it is down very little today. However it is back down to where it was the day I started this way of eating. I'm still not back down to the 223 but I will leave the ticker alone because I believe it will be accurate in a few days. I do know when you start low carbing you gain some weight at first. I assume it is the same with MLC, so the fact that I gained so little and that it is already coming back down on my 4th day means it is working. As long as this is working this good for me, I won't change anything. I remember we recently had a discussion on this thread about how things get going and something happens and along the way something happens that makes us think it isn't working and stop to switch to something else and we don't realize that it is working even when we don't think it is and we unknowingly mess things up because we didn't give it time to work completely. I've done that so many times and I'm not going to do it this time. Going by what I've learned so far on this journey, I have finally come to the conclusion that I have a plan and the fact that it shows good signs of working, I am going to just stick to it see where it takes me.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #139  

It's funny, but I don't care if I never have dessert, low carb or otherwise. Just doesn't interest me. On Easter, I ate a bit of the 2 jello desserts that where there just to please the people who made them. I don't know why I did that, because DH and I were the only ones who ate any of my Easter Cheese. LOL My step-daughter and her husband would have eaten some but they weren't there. I took home what was left because I knew they would have just tossed it and I like it too much to have it thrown away. I like it so much I made another batch yesterday. It's just eggs and milk that you cook together. When it starts to form curds, you just pour it into cheesecloth and form a ball and refrigerate. When chilled, you slice it like you would a ball of cheese. The closest thing I can compare it to is scrambled eggs. It's a Slovak tradition.

I don't know what all diabetes meds your DH is on, but I think he could get off them or cut back if he really cut out the starchy carbs. I know it's a big change and I think it's harder for men than for women. I know that having the Glimiperide tends to give me the idea that I can eat those carbs once in a while because the meds will regulate my blood sugar, but glimiperide does damage to your pancreas over time. I intend to get off it or back to my 1mg eventually.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

CarolSue - So sorry about your neighbor.

Yep, it's synced to MFP. I normally get around 300 extra calories a day just for about 7000 steps. I have MFP set to sedentary with a 2 lbs a week loss, gives me 1200 calories because MFP assumes I'm doing nothing but the bare minimum a day. That's why I get the "extra" 300 calories from walking, but on normal days I never go over 1200 regardless of how many extra MFP says I have from the difference in Fitbit. I find it syncs better if I log any exercise that's not walking, such as when I bike ride, on fitbit's dashboard instead of MFP.

When I first upgraded from the Charge to the Charge HR, I was getting insane calorie burns on MFP. Some days an extra 1000 just for doing 12k steps. For the last week or so it's gone down to around 300-500, which seems a bit more realistic for the light walking I do, (still a little high to me). I would use Fitbit to log food too, but MFP's database is loads better.

1400 seems pretty good actually, but it depends on what you set your activity level at.

My A1C went from 8.2 to 5.8. My Dr. is really happy with me, but stressed I have to really really stick to what I'm doing. I told him no worries, I have 48 more lbs to lose and a cruise to get skinny for. Everything else was perfect today. Even fully dressed I registered 200.4 on his scales.

He said I'm officially not diabetic anymore, now just prediabetic, but I don't think it quite works that way. He did keep me on met though. He thinks it helps with weightloss, but I'm not so sure. 500 twice a day is pretty low and shouldn't cause too much GI stress.

Despite all the good news, I'm just buckling down more. It'll be too easy to slip back into old habits if I let this diagnosis go to my head. Nope. I'm staying the course.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:39 PM   #141  

Fickle, the way I understood what I read today, if you have your Fitbit synced to MFP you are not supposed to log your food on Fitbit, just on MFP. I don't know if I'm going to use this or not. I'm not really good at keeping up with my food tracking. I don't remember what I have my activity level set at, it might be sedentary, but it's set to lose 1 lb per week. I'll have to look at it tomorrow when I'm more awake.

According to your A1c I guess you are considered prediabetic, but I think if you went back to eating carbs your A1c would go back up. So to me, you are still diabetic, but with tight control. Either way, it's very good!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-31-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #142  

Morning
Fickle great Drs appt. my A1C is the same as yours.. Funny I'm on 1000 janumet 2 times a day...
Since off my glaclazeride my bg readings have gone up...I'm pretty sure my next A1C will be higher.

Carol that Easter cheese sounds interesting...
Trish my weight is starting to com back down just a tad this morning... I managed to eat under 20 carbs yesterday, but my calories were very high!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #143  

On Easter, my DIL was telling me that when her sister had to go gluten free because of celiac, her psoriasis went away. I have had psoriasis for 20 years and I do not eat much gluten since I avoid most wheat products. It just so happened that there was another woman there who spoke up and said that some people have a rash that they think is psoriasis but it's actually from a gluten allergy. That's why it goes away when they go gluten free. I was so happy to hear her say that, because so many people tell me things that cleared their psoriasis and it makes me doubt that is was really psoriasis that they had. There are a lot of things that cause a rash. I'm hoping that mine will improve now that summer is arriving.

p.a. I have always heard that if you are eating low carb you don't have to pay attention to calories. Most people eat meat as their protein and that is usually higher in calories because of the fat. The fat is supposed to curb hunger.

Fickle, I looked back in my records and in 2011 my A1c was 5.7. That's the lowest I've ever had, and that was during a time when I was exercising regularly, 45-60 min a day 5 days a week. Then I had surgery and I never got back to my exercise regularly since then. My A1c since then has been in the 6's and low 7's, until this last time it went up to 8.5. I'm hoping it's lower this time, but I'd really like to get it back into the 5's. It's so hard to believe that 5 years have passed since then and my exercise is still just sporatic.

I think my Metformin was the reason for my first 20 lb loss, but I'm still on it and have not shown a loss since then. The glimiperide is known to cause weight gain, so I think the glimiperide and metformin are counteracting each other. I'm lucky I never gained those 20 lbs back.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #144  

Here is an article that talks about reversing diabetes vs managing it.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-2...0yNm4PCC9sE%3d
Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #145  

Carol Sue Interesting article.

I did some reading online concerning the Paleo diet. The funny thing is that it hit me that Paleo way of eating would fit beautifully with WWSP. I have the WW book and calculator to count the points in my protein that I will be eating and may use that instead of the MFP. I won't be eating high carbs so that just might be the way for me to do this and count on my own. I've read you don't have to count anything doing Paleo, but I think it would be a good idea for me to for now. I don't have to be online member of WW to do this.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #146  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI Friends:

I have been feasting for days now, but mostly staying on plan, if that makes sense. SO, knowing that I had these supper plans, I ate a late breakfast and light or no lunch the last 3 days, so only having 2 meals.
On Thursday, I used up the rest of my flex points, I had saved up all week.
Mostly used them on wine. the food was mostly in plan, except the dessert.
I had ordered cheesecake (this was an office celebration dinner, and with 16 people, we had pre-ordered supper). But he made a special dessert for the people who were lactose and gluten intolerant. This was a chocolate mousse made with avocado. I got the extra one and it was lovely. I think it could be made well with stevia for a special treat sometime.

Then Friday, I took my father and his companion out to a tapas bar for supper, and then a concert. I was worried about overdoing it with the tapas place, all these little plates to share, but they are delivered over a couple of hours, its not a rush to eat kind of place, so we started to feel less hungry and then full before too long. A little light on veggies, but high protein and lower carb with most of the dishes.

Tonight was the supper I made for the family, as my sisters family, and my kids and their partners all came to celebrate dad's birthday (85th). Again, spent a lot of flex points on wine.
Tomorrow is back to normal, and I will have to stay on plan pretty carefully this week after all this.
And I haven't exercised nearly enough. I will go for a walk in the morning, and eat carefully tomorrow for sure.

Thanks for all the posts to read and catch up with everyone. Hope you all do well this week too.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #147  

Morning, winters has returned here and hanging on for awhile it seems. I've been struggling lately with food. Once I let carbs creep back in its all downhill after.....so I cleaned out my freezer,,I have no treats in the house and today WILL be an on plan day. I think I need to up my protein,,,,after supper I've been looking to snack all night long. Last night was popcorn and nuts!! Jeez
You know if we think about it,,,every way of eating has good points in it... Low carb, paleo, WW, counting calories etc....when I look at what I eat it's a little bit of every kind. I haven't gained and it's coming up to one year in May when I started this. That's huge for me.
On MFP I joined a challenge called the biggest loser challenge. Well I didn't lose this week and felt like I let my team down so I posted a message saying I will do better next week. One team member wrote:
-" you did a great job! You got your weight in early, the team isn't waiting for you. You also have a personal victory that you didn't gain. "
Wow that was sooooo motivating for me! No idea who this lady was but she made me feel so good. I thanked her and it made me feel like I can do this. You never know how your words affect someone.

Mad you are working your plan beautifully,,,,,,great job!
Trish I have to count calories even doing low carb,,,, I think people have different metabolisms and can burn off the calories they eat,,,,,my body doesn't.
Carol I'm off to check that site out thanks
Old 04-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #148  

I just read this about a test that was done in Isreal of how well Whey Protein helps diabetics lose weight and improve A1c. I've never been big on shakes, but might want to rethink it.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...-diabetes.html
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #149  

Mad, I had to google Tapas as I never heard of it. That's my kind of meal!

I agree that you are doing well on your plan. The flex points are being utilized the way they are supposed to be. They are there when you need them.

p.a. You are doing great, too! Maintaining is a form of a loss in my mind. Sometimes your body has to adjust to what you've lost so far.

I decided that I cannot do challenges. I've signed up for a few, thinking they would give me incentive to work harder, but it seems that I start to feel pressured instead and end up losing nothing, or even gaining. I am a little afraid to say this, but I'm starting to think that posting on weight loss message boards is also a hindrance to my weight loss. This is the main forum I post in, but when I look at my start date, 2011, I realize I have not had a significant loss since then. The weight I lost was after my heart surgery in 2008 and really none since then. I know I am addicted to message boards and don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I enjoy "meeting" all the different people, but it's not helping my weight. I've been on the internet since 2000, but didn't really get into it until I retired in 2010. Now I'm addicted! LOL

Trish, that article about the whey protein is very interesting. I have whey protein powder. I bought it thinking I would do shakes, but I end up still wanting my meal along with it, so all I'm doing is adding more calories. I don't see myself giving up my eggs. Also, when I would want the shake would be in the AM, even if it's just a small one, but I don't like to turn my blender on early in the morning as DH sleeps later than I do and I don't want to wake him up. He's not a lot of fun when someone wakes him up. LOL I believe I have found the perfect eating plan for me, but I think the glimiperide is keeping me from losing. I'm very lucky that it hasn't caused me to gain as it does others. I am cutting back on it little by little but can't seem to do without it altogether. Just a little too much carb in my diet. I need to work on that.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #150  

I didn't leave MFP for 2 reasons. One I think it is important to count all calories/carb to see what I'm doing and I'm afraid that I will use WW SP and over do it. I also like to see my exercise on there. I am doing Paleo although I am staying with MFP. I read with Paleo that you don't really have to count calories/carbs, but I just DO NOT trust myself if I don't. However, I did read that it doesn't hurt to count them if you are trying to lose weight. So I think it is a good idea for me to keep track on MFP.

Carol Sue I had a whey protein shake this morning. It was easy today since we eat eggs for lunch on Sunday. I have 2 cans of whey protein so I've decided to use it to try to get a quick start of getting on Paleo plan.

p.a., Fatmad, Fickle and others
Closed Thread