Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and PreDiabetes Chat and Support for March

So, March is here, and I want us all to "March" to good blood sugar!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #2  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Happy March ladies! DH just left town, I'm cooking wings in the oven for lunch, cutting up broccoli for soup I am making for dinner and after that starting a clean up/declutter of the dining room. It is surrounded on all walls by piles. I used it as a staging area for the declutter of the sewing room that never got finished so it still has piles everywhere. One of my goals is to start prettying up the dining room. I have fabric for drapes that just needs hemming, I have things to hang on the walls, want to get some candles. Also on the docket is cutting out pieces and sewing Olivia a dress with the Dr Seuss fabric I bought last year, this week is Seuss week at preschool.

I checked my measurements yesterday and am seeing some progress :-)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

hello friends, and happy March:
Well, I went back to low carb at the beginning of February, and was 187, and now am 181, so 6 pounds down over a month and that included a couple of off days, so I am pretty pleased with that.

Shannon and Carol Sue: about dream fields pasta, it has a "special process" that "coats " the carbs to make them burn and digest quite slowly, much more slowly than even whole grain pastas.
The only problem is that is does seem that eventually all the carbs do flow through, perhaps suddenly. Some people have noted blood sugar spikes 4-6 hours after eating. SO measure servings carefully and don't overdo would be my advice. Also, cooked spaghetti squash makes a good noodle alternative.

got to a yoga class this morning too. Going for a walk with the dog in a bit, this is the warmest day in ages around here. -7 C. There is sun too, very exciting.

have a lovely Sunday friends.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #4  

I did well today with no between meal eating. And so far, nothing after dinner. We got a rotisserie chicken which I love, and after the terrible breaded chicken I made last night, it was great!

Good job on your weight loss, Mad! I was surprised this morning when I got on the scale. I was down 4 lbs. But before you start clapping and cheering, remember, they are the 4 lbs I GAINED last week. I'm just glad they are back off and hope to lose more. I have been in the 190s for a couple years now. Up and down.

Mad, I like spaghetti squash cooked with butter and garlic, but not served as a pasta dish with a red sauce. It's just not the same for me.

From what I heard, and read online, Dreamfields settled a class action lawsuit over it's claims of the pasta being 5 net carbs, although they admitted no wrongdoing. On Dana Carpenters blog there were people who tested it and some said they had no major spikes, and some did. But they all went according to the serving size stated on the box, which is actually the amount you would use for a side dish of pasta, not a main course. The amount most people eat is usually much larger. Also, if it's eaten as a side dish with, as one person did, pork chops, the protein reduces the blood sugar spike. That's why they say to always eat a protein with a carb. When I make pasta, I make a lot of meatballs. My dish is mostly meatballs over a small portion of pasta, so I get to taste it, but I'm not eating a large portion. I also eat lasagne, but again, there is a lot of meat and cheese in it, and the protein offsets the blood sugar spike. I don't spike too badly with pasta, potatoes or rice. But don't let me near a loaf of bread.

Trish, my eating window today was about 7 hours...2 meals. I am not going to use a set time or number of meals. It may vary day to day based on my hunger. If I happen to have a shorter window some days, I may also have a longer one other days, but I will try to stay under 10, and not eat between meals. Everything I have read about lowering insulin resistance puts a big emphasis on exercise.

Shannon, I don't know how you do all that you do. It's a good thing DH goes out of town once in a while and gets out of your hair. LOL

Tell me more about your broccoli soup. How did you make it, and how did it turn out?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I have had 3 days successfully eating only 3 meals. However, I am going to have to add the egg(s) at night for the lower reading in the morning. My readings before the lunch and dinner are good so I'm pleased with that. I think the eggs don't hurt because being protein and fat, it doesn't raise insulin. I ended up with .4 gain for the month, but that doesn't bother me because I did a lot of experimenting with my eating this past month. 4 tenths of a lb isn't really a gain at all. If I averaged the weight like CAD teaches, I might would show a loss. That was one thing I liked about their way of counting actual weight loss. But my main concern is learning to get the insulin under control.

I actually have no problem not eating snacks. I drink tea w/o sweetners and it actually satisfies me except it makes me cold and it is cold already.

DH had to help DGS with his car and they left for a while after church. I had told DH that I was saving my eggs for tonight and I didn't want to eat as soon as I got home so I would cook for him like I normally do when we got home but I was going to wait my 5 hrs before eating lunch. When they left, I decided to ride the recumbent bike and get a little more exercise with some housework so I could count all that on MFP. I felt so good after and was so proud of myself. I never exercise on Sunday. That exercise actually counts as extra this week since it is usually a day off. YAY!!! for me.

Carol Sue I agree that exercise is a real key to lowering bs. I am really working at it.

Since I didn't go to our small group Bible Study last time, I decided to go to Amazon and order the book that goes with the lesson. We don't usually use the books in class because we use the workbook and a film + discussion. I had checked out a story from it and decided I wanted to know more. I read it in spurts so haven't gotten very far, but decided to take it with me to the beauty shop since I was getting a perm yesterday. So I read some while under the hair dryer. I was amazed at how the Lord seems to lead me to just what I need at the time.

I've been thinking lately that I needed to treat my woe and exercise different and set my mind to just practice what I know to do until it becomes second nature to me. In the part I read yesterday, he tells how they took kids learning to play the violin. They found that all of the kids practiced and they could tell by how much the children practiced who was going to be kind ok violinists, mediocre and the those who could become good enough to be professionals because they had more of a passion for it and practiced the most. So I think I am on something for me and my personality. "Practice makes perfect". So far this is not a struggle any more.

Here's to a good March.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #6  

Trish, good for you on the extra day of exercise! This is how we do it!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #7  
~Shannon

Carol Sue here is the recipe I used, I had to add alot more salt and it was a little greasy so I will try another recipe out next time but it was good, I ate two bowls, Olivia ate her whole bowl and I plan to eat the leftovers this week.

http://jensaves.com/broccoli-cheddar-soup/
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #8  

Thanks, Shannon. I copied it but I probably won't make it because I prefer creamy broccoli soup, without the cheese. I'm weird about cheese. I can eat a piece of cheese, but don't usually like it in a recipe. Unless it's cheesecake! LOL Oh, and I also like it on pizza and in lasagne. If I order a sandwich out and it has cheese on it, like a club sandwich, I will take it off and eat it by itself, but I don't like it on the sandwich.

I had a pretty good eating day so far. Eggs and sausage for breakfast. DH bought a Subway sandwich for lunch. I took some of the filling and dumped it into a bowl of salad greens and ate it as a salad. Very tasty! We're having fish for dinner. I'm having grilled talapia and he's having Gortons breaded that you bake in the oven. I'm surprised he's even eating that! He wants Rice-a-roni with it, so I will have to close my eyes and pretend I don't see it. LOL
Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #9  
~Shannon

Happy Tuesday ladies! Olivia lost her first tooth last night! And she woke alot in the night wondering about the tooth fairy, lol, so I am tired today! I got the dining room decluttered but of course most of the piles just moved to other places still to be dealt with...sigh...lol! I am in a purging mode again....clutter be gone! We ate out last night after Olivia's dance class and I was just tired and not thinking. I ate off plan and drank a huge caffeinated drink. I was up til 2. I am back on plan today and no caffeine since coffee! My clothes feel looser which is nice. My pants had gotten tight again and I felt so uncomfortable. I really need some new clothes but want to lose some more....maybe I will treat myself to some shopping for easter if I continue doing well. I am excited that my sewing retreat is a week from Friday! Two and a half days for ME!! I'm probably a little too excited about that, huh? Lol!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #10  

Shannon, I can understand your excitement about your Me time. You have Olivia almost 24/7 and a lot of that time is with DH gone, so no help. We all need some time to ourselves. I wish I could get into a purge mode. One problem I have is DH. Anytime I want to just donate stuff or throw it away he starts to say sell it online of have a yard sale. One time I put something online and he got upset that some stranger was going to be coming to the house. So make up your mind! And the thing I hate about a yard sale is all the stuff that is leftover that didn't sell. DH helps me put the stuff out, but when the people come he runs inside so they don't see him. Our house is starting to look like a Hoarders episode! LOL

So what's the tooth fairy up to these days? Back when I was losing teeth I was getting a nickel! Ha Ha
Old 03-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/170/130

Height: 5'4"

I am back on 3 Fat Chicks after a hiatus, while having my 2 kiddos. I am pre-diabetic and had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. Looking to lose about 35 pounds.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #12  

Welcome Mission2Lose! Tell us more about yourself. Good for you for catching this while it's still in the pre-diabetes stage. I was not told I had any problems until I had full-blown diabetes.

What eating plan are you using? Something that limits carbs is best for diabetes. Shannon is also pre-diabetic. She will probably have a lot of information for you, plus kid stories to share.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI gang:

Had my eye test today. I am to get tested every year to 18 months, instead of every 2 years. The pressure in my eyes is slightly elevated. SO far its not glaucoma, but I am at higher risk for developing glaucoma, so will be going back regularly. My prescription has hardly changed, so thats good news too.

DD is having housing issues, so is moving home for the next few months. She is planning on going back to school in the fall, and will likely move then. Here's to hoping that as an adult she will be a good roommate and things will be reasonably good for this time period. I am relatively happy about it, not too stressed, I just want it to be good. This may be (I hope) the last time she lives with us and I want the end of the time to feel good.

She can be a good cook, and is quite nutrition conscious, so I am envisioning lots of veggies in our suppers.

Weight is stable, not gaining, and I am hoping for a little whoosh down again soon. Doesn't have to be big, I just want to get under 180 for now.

I have a presentation tomorrow, so back to work now.

Welcome to the newbie, and thanks for the updates friends, especially about the tooth fairy!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 176/170/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't strictly follow any one plan, but I like the Insulin Resistance Diet combined with what I learned on the gestational diabetes diet. Basically, I follow the GD diet but with fewer carbs. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, try to only get carbs from whole grains and veggies, and space out the carbs.

It's relatively easy on maternity leave but things will get a lot more stressful once I return to work so I am a little worried about that!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Welcome Mission2Lose. I agree with Carol Sue it is good to get this under control while you are pre-diabetic. I am one of those who believes that you can get control of it and as long as you eat and live your life keeping in mind that if you don't what will happen that you won't have to ever worry about being full blown diabetic. I did that when I first was diagnosed years ago, but somewhere along the way forgot about it and now I'm having to do this all over again. Good luck on your journey. My doctor told me that any diet would work... you just have to find what works for you that you can live with.

Well, I went for lab work this morning. What is done for the past 3 months and I cannot change it. So now to get to work with what I've learned and what I know to do that works for me. I have my own "Personal" plan in my mind and now to do it and work it around my DH and my schedules.

I plan to eat 2 meals 4 to 5 hours apart and finish the day with 1 or 2 eggs around 9 pm giving me a 6 to 7 hr eating window and a 17 to 18 fasting hours using the CAD/Lowcarbing for dummies book guidelines especially when DH and I eat out. I'm beginning to enjoy exercising so that is going to be a big help too.

My sister doesn't like the way she feels on the medicine she is on. She is thinking about asking her doctor to let her try doing it with diet and exercises. We are becoming each other support system. I don't think she realizes how much it is helping me as I try to be a help to her. I call and check on her almost everyday and I thought I might be bugging her, but she thanked me yesterday for supporting her. I think she is more of what some doctor's call pre-diabetes, but my doctor and hers seem to feel that you either are or you are not. Her A1c was 6.4 and I told her that isn't too high and she is blessed for her doctor to find it while it isn't higher. In fact, I think my last one was 6.5. When looking for my last lab work, I was surprised to find that last year I got my A1c down to 5.9. I seemed to have gotten messed up when I went on that trip home. Helps me see what I was able to do and if I did it before that I most surely can do it again. I decided today that it is time to stop stressing about all this (stress also raised bs) and to just relax, do what I know to do and enjoy my life.

Shannon I loved playing tooth fairy with my kids. I still look forward to ME time everyday. I believe that we all need it.

Mad I hope that your time with your DD will be a great experience. I am trying to remember with DGS to enjoy what time we have with him because hopefully it won't last forever and I want us to remain on good terms when he leaves someday. It is hard. Ex.. he has an 8 o'clock class 2 days a week. he stays out so late that he misses that class more than he makes it. He said he woke up at 8 and obviously he decided not to go and went back to sleep. I used to get him up when I saw he wasn't up, but I stopped. He is 21 and needs to learn responsibility and I'm not going to stress about it. I did tell him this morning that this was not going to work out in his favor in the future and I hoped he never needed that teacher as a reference because all he would be able to say is that "he seldom shows up". I've learned that sometimes it is better to let them learn on their own when they refuse to listen. Besides if you say too much, it hurts you and your relationship with them and they tune us out any way. I pray all goes well for you two.

Got to get going. DH has lab work this afternoon and then have to hit Sam's club for some protein foods. And I am determined to get back to my Bible study class tonight. No snow/ice etc expected tonight so we can have it.

Have a blessed day.
Closed Thread