Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I know I was so wordy on the other one, but wanted to share something I thought of this morning.

I have a tendency to think about the foods I can't have when lcing. I've been hearing a lot at church that we need to change what we are thinking about. So today when I was getting chicken wings out to cook for dinner, I thought maybe I should change the way I think about how I eat. I've decided to start thinking about the foods I can have on a lowcarb diet that I can't have on any other woe and turn my lowcarb diet into a Positive attitude rather than the negative of wish I could have... I know it is a little game I'm playing with myself, but if it works that is all that matters.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think I'm going to try 5:2 IF. Regular IF with an eating window isn't working for me, because when I want to eat the eggs at bedtime it's actually breaking my fast. And I still eat too much food during my eating window. Portion is a big problem for me. So I want to try the 2 days of 500 cals. That is so against what I believe but might be what I need. The past couple days I have been eating mostly veggies with very little protein. Big salads, and also cooked vegetables. It went well as far as hunger is concerned and I think I could do the 500 cals by eating veggies. The 2 days are not consecutive, and the 5 days you eat "normally." That can be different things to different people. I will still omit starch, and will continue not to snack between meals. I plan on it being similar to South Beach, as I can eat low carb but still include some beans and dairy. I'm hoping that eating very low calorie those 2 days will make 1200 calories feel like a feast on the 5 days.

DH has not been making breakfast lately, so if he doesn't make it, I don't eat it either. My first meal is veggies, around 11AM. I will continue eating my egg at bedtime as long as it helps with FBS, and if I don't have eggs for breakfast, I will include a hard cooked egg in my salad. I need to include some yogurt somewhere along the line, too. Protein can come from other things besides meat, but I still do love my roasted chicken. I will not give up meat altogether, but keep my portions much smaller than I have been eating in the past.

Trish, we all play little games with ourselves. We have to, to make things work.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #48  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi all: nothing to report today, but still hoping to hit 180 and below by weeks end.
One thing I didn't like about ww and food tracking, is I feel it makes me obsessive about what I eat, and I don't want that relationship with food. However, meal planning doesn't have to be obsessive.
With DD here at home, we are planning a bit more, as she is willing to cook and help out.
Having her here is working fine. She plans to move back to town in a month, but still seems really confused about what to do with her life. I don't worry about that, but she does. She wants to move forward, but still hasn't found a path.
In the meantime, we will just love her and encourage her.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #49  

Mad it sound like things are going well with DD at home. Enjoy the time with her! She will figure out her life with your help.

My food issues seem to come from not enough thinking about what I'm eating. At least, doing this 500 cal fast twice a week I know what I'm eating....not much!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #50  

My doctor's appt didn't go to bad for me. I had a good talk with my doctor. Funny I talked to him about different diets even lowcarb diets and even asked him about a vegetarian diet. He is one of those who thinks we all need some starches in our diet, but he didn't push it. I did mention to him how Dr. Fung (didn't use his name of course) helped his diabetic patients learn to eat 3 meals a day and how it worked with the fat cells. He did agree that I am probably Insulin Resistant and that when eating only 3 meals that when not eating in between and overnight that it probably causes my fat cells to shrink. He thought a vegetarian diet was good if I could do it, but said they would have to watch my B 12.

My A1c was up to 6.7 from 6.5 and he said that I had lost 1 lb. My cholesterol and triglycerides were good. Even my HDL had come up a little. So overall it was good. We talked about me taking some diabetic med to help and I decided to try taking the Metformin again, but he suggested to only take 500 mg. If I need help he is talking about putting me on Januvia if I need it, but he agreed that it would be better if I can do it withdiet and exercise. So I've got 3 more months to see how it goes.

DH visit wasn't that good. While some of his numbers were better, his A1c was up to 9.3 from 6.? last time. Too big a jump. So the doctor gave him a sample of one of the new meds. There is Farxiga that my sister takes and another one, but Hubby couldn't take those because of the side effects. This other one is Invokana. We aren't sure about some of the side effects of that one either. Since it is probably expensive, doc is hoping that the one month sample supply will bring the A1c back down. Of DH knows he hasn't been eating right for the last 3 months although we didn't tell the doc. Now I'm working with him to decide how the 2 of us can eat so that we both can get things going in the right direction. Doc said that he thinks that our diabetes is different. At this point, he thinks I'm IR but that DH doesn't even produce insulin. I hope we can prove him wrong.

Oh, I am not a candidate for the new meds like Farxiga because I have a tendency toward yeast infections and he said the patients he has given it to are coming in with yeast infections. He said the others are too new to know what the side effects are and he really doesn't want to take them. Even the one DH is using can cause yeast infections and also dehydration. I will have to watch him for the dehydration because he has to have more salt than most because of his heart.

I am actually doing the lowcarb diet although not counting. I am eating protein, salads and veggie. I am keeping the dairy in my diet, but giving up fruit for now. In the meantime I am thinking that South Beach Diet might be just the way to go for DH. If we decide to go that way, I think I can do SBD with just a little bit of tweaking for me.

Carol Sue I don't know if I could do 2 days of 500 calories a day and then 5 of 1200 or not, however, I do believe it would work. Good luck with your plan.

Madeleine I am so glad that things are going so good with your DD. I'm sure she will find her way. It just takes time sometime. I'm sure she will be okay.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #51  

Trish, even though your A1c went up a tiny bit, I think it is still in a pretty good range, and remember, that reflects back when you weren't doing as well with your food. I think you're doing much better lately. That's too bad about DH. It's hard for me to say since I don't know how he eats compared to you. Does he test daily? Men don't seem to be as good at that as women are. For one thing, Glimiiperide makes your Beta Cells work harder, forcing them to release more insulin. And since he takes 4mg twice a day compared to the 1mg twice a day that I am prescribed, it's possible that his Beta Cells are no longer able to produce insulin. This could happen, depending on how long he has been taking that dose. This is one of the reasons I don't want to take it anymore. I don't want to have to inject insulin. I haven't taken any for 2 days. In fact, I forgot all about it. I get some good blood sugars but then I get some bad ones too. When I get bad ones, I think back to what I did to cause that, like eating the corn, and I resolve not to do that again.

I'm determined to do it this time Trish, and I am determined to lose weight if I have to starve myself to do it!!! (I say that now, until I get hungry!) My one friend told me that when she lost weight her daughters told her she was getting too thin. Just once in my life I want to hear someone say I'm getting too thin. LOL

Today I didn't have breakfast. At lunch I wasn't hungry, but DH made lunch for himself and I ate 1/2 cup of corn that he left. That spiked my BS, especially since I did not eat any protein with it. I know better, and won't do that again. I had a big salad before dinner, then for dinner I had 1 Cup of beef stew. I ate mostly the meat, with 2 chunks of potato and 2 chunks of carrot. I am satisfied but not full. We will see how I feel come bedtime. If I am not hungry, I will not eat the egg. I am finding that I am getting used to eating less and it's starting to feel normal to me. I'm finding out that there is a difference between actual hunger and just wanting something. No more "If I don't eat something I will get sick." Now it's "If I don't quit eating I will stay fat!" LOL I did not track the past few days so I don't know how many calories I've had. I usually can't lose unless I go below 1500 cals.

I am gung ho! I wonder how long this is going to last?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #52  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Trish, I was just reading today, that while they are expensive, the better additional drugs to go with metformin are the SGLT2 inhibitors. These are the drugs (all end in "florin) that may cause yeast infections and uti's. The other are GLP1 receptor antagonists, like liraglutide. (am used to generic names. ) and I am not going to get into how they work here, thats a whole other discussion. Again, more gastro side effects, and possibly antibody production.
They are both newer drugs and I think are best kept for people who can't get control otherwise.
SO really work the lifestyle changes. I for one have to accept I can't go out to friends places, unless they ask about how I eat. I am not partaking in the weekly potluck at work these days, because I need to eat differently.
I am getting better at resisting temptation, but still have a ways to go.
best luck and wishes Trish. (aha, just realized that if I forget to capitalize your name, autocorrects your name to trash, thats how that happened!)
Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #53  

Madeleine I sometimes mispell your name too and I'm not offended if my name gets switched. These pc's do their own thing. I know other Madeleine's that spell their names differently. I just like your given name better than Fatmad. Just my thing. Thanks for the advice. I am very concerned about DH bs. He has done so well in other areas and I so hope that I can help this time as well. It will take some work, but I know we can do it if we work together.

Carol Sue I am so thankful for the things that you share with me as well as Madeleine. I too am determined to get this weight off this time and help my DH get his and my bs down. I do love our little group here.

I can tell that my doctor doesn't necessarily keep up with a lot of the things that we learn in our research. I think I'm going to look more into that Swedish Doctor's guidelines that we learned about who not only does lowcarb himself, but has many of his patients diabetic, but also others who have other health problems with the lowcarb eating. I've seen and heard of too many people getting healthier this way and it is just too crazy not to do it the way that it works.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #54  

Mad, I agree with you that it's far better to make lifestyle changes than to take additional meds, if possible. I know some need those meds. The changes you make help in other areas of your life, too and just plain help you to feel better. I am always cautious about new meds that come out because although they are tested, sometimes they don't show real problems until their are more widely used by the public.

I changed my ticker this morning as I am down another lb. Sometimes I wait a couple days to see if the loss is going to stick around, but I'm just so happy to finally see it that I had to change it right way. I am trying to have a positive attitude that I am headed in the right direction.

I woke up around 4 AM and couldn't fall back to sleep. I have a lot on my mind lately. So if I don't go back to bed, I will be really tired today and will probably have to take a nap.

Trish, I think DH will be able to get his blood sugar straightened out with your help. You seem to know what you're doing and if he follows your lead he should do well.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #55  

Madeleine I really am concerned about the meds the doctor is giving DH. I am more concerned that he is still taking 1,000 mg Metformin, 2 Glimiperide's 4 mg each and then 1 of this new medicine Invokana 100 mg. I think that is just way too much. Since I have tendency toward yeast infections and it is a side effect of the Invokana, he is concerned about that as well. However, I think this is going to all be a wake up call for DH.

Carol Sue CONGRATULATIONS on the loss. Any loss is a loss. I think DH will listen to me now about how to eat. He has been eating ice cream everyday and he does know that he has to stop that. I really think the SBD would be good for him. He could never do Atkins because he can't stand eating fat. He doesn't like the healthy fats like avocados, CO or EVOO. So I think I am going to get my SBD books out and start using the guidelines from that to plan his diet. He told me to just fix what I eat and he will eat it, but I don't think he would be happy with my plan. Hope you were able to get back to sleep.

I got up around 4:30 and DH had not come to bed. Dr doesn't want to give DH his pain med any more which I was surprised DH wasn't addicted to them as the doc was afraid he was because DH wouldn't pay for the patches so went off on his own. But he still has pain so the doc gave him prescription for a muscle relaxer. DH didn't like some of the side effects so when he wasn't in bed I got up and checked on him. He was feeling a little strange so I stayed up with him until I knew he had gotten to bed without falling or any mishap. I always thought I had a good doctor, but I am beginning to think he is getting to comfortable with us. He didn't remember to set up our lab work appt for 3 month check up and this is the 2nd time in a row that this has happened. So I am really watching what is happening. I did notice that he seems to have put on a little weight himself so I'm wondering if he is feeling well himself. I will keep a close watch on what is going on.

My fbs was up to 140 this morning, but that was no surprise with the way my day went yesterday. I went to Bible study and when I got home I was starving and didn't plan very well. I had a tuna salad, but ate some chips with it and finished off with cashews. I don't think my choice would have hurt me since it was the only starch of the day, but it was way to late by the time I ate even for me. I'm going to have to figure something else out for Wednesday nights when I go to Bible study. I just can't eat that late. My bs was fairly good before I ate so I know it was the choices for it being so late at night. I would like to get back to not eating anything after 7 pm. It is nice that we are all beginning to know what causes these things so that we can make corrections. We are using the slips or off times as a learning process rather than as something that causes us to give up or cause us to have setbacks. My weight is coming back down slowly, but it is coming down.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #56  

Trish, I agree that DH might be on too much med. I thnk you said that the doctor gave him samples of the Invokana. Because of this, the pharmacy does not have a record of it, and they would be able to tell you if it's too much med. Do you have a local pharmacist you could ask about it? Even if it's a pharmacist you don't deal with, like in Target, they are usually happy to answer questions.

If DH said just fix him what you're eating, then do it. He may need to eat more than you do, but as long as it's healthy it will be OK. He needs to see if he can improve his blood sugar so he doesn't need so many meds. If the doctor is right and he is not producing any insulin, he might need to go on nsulin shots. But first he needs to try to lower it with dietary changes. Does he test? Maybe you could check post-prandial for him to be sure he knows what foods are making him spike. I don't want to scare you, but I would be worried, too.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #57  

Carol Sue Thanks. I do know one of the pharmacist at Walmart. I will try to talk to her when I see her.

Eating has been good today. I am eating 3 meals a day and I forgot to check bs before lunch, but it was 113 before dinner. I am going to try the oatmeal again in the morning and save my eggs for dinner.

See ya tomorrow.

Edited to say that DH checked his fbs this morning and it was 121. I am writing it down each day for him so we can keep up with it together. I fixed us a very good lunch with protein and lots of veggies. Can't do SBD so doing a personal modified lowcarb plan that he is willing to do. The main thing he has done is given up the ice cream. So there is hope.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-12-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #58  

Trish, his 121 is good IMO. The ice cream would definately be a problem. It really spikes me. Maybe it can be a once-in-a-while treat. I think it's a great idea to have the oatmeal in the AM and have the eggs at night. I think you should check DH 2 hours after your biggest meal, also, and see how he's doing. Also, remember, watch for lows, because if he is cutting back on sugar and carbs he might not need all that medicine.

I did not do Phase 1 of South Beach. It is similar to Atkins Induction but with lower fat. Another woman on the thread said she went right to Phase 2, and that is very similar to how I've been eating recently.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #59  

Carol Sue Thanks. I agree that the 121 is good. I will have him check his bs after lunch which is our largest meal. I'm thinking that the good reading could be not only from the bs pill, but he doesn't sleep well. They took him off of his pain pills because the doctor was afraid he was/would become addicted to them because he has had to take them for so long. I know they are clamping down on those things. However, I don't believe DH was becoming addicted to them because he didn't take them when he didn't need them although he kept them on hand for miagrane (sp) headaches. He gave him a muscle relaxer instead and I have problems with those since my Part D refused to cover one he used to take. Any way it did help him get a really good nights sleep. We have learned that good sleep also helps with diabetes. Maybe the combinations the doctor is using will work for DH along with his diet and eventually exercise.

I am not taking all his carbs away. In fact, I am keeping some carb in our main meal. I am making tacos today and will keep the tacos in the plan. So far he has just taken the sugar/ice cream out of his diet. That may be all he has to do.

I didn't eat the oatmeal this morning. My weight is steadily coming back down and am about 2 lbs from being back to my ticker weight. My fbs was 127 this morning. So I decided that if it isn't broke, don't fix it since that has been my problem in the past. I would get things working favorably for me and then change it. So for now, I will continue doing what I'm doing.

Madeleine I just saw something on Yahoo about an alternative treatment for Neuropathy that supposedly is approved by FDA. Called NerveRenew. Much of the pill uses B vitamins and R Alpha Lipoic Acid.

All these things always say theirs is the best because of the type of vitamin and mineral that they use. I'm wondering if I could match the mg etc that he uses and do the same thing. DH and I don't have neuropathy, although we do have some early signs diabetics usually have.

DH DD and I took a cardiologist plan and used it to do what the cardiologist said couldn't be don with DH and he refused to help us. I have always believed that besides the prayers that were prayed that God used the treatment to heal his heart. He needed a new heart valve which we decided not to do. The amazing thing is that the doctor's cannot find the problem any more. To quote the cardiologist who told us "We know you had the problem because we can see it. We don't know what happened but it's not there now".

I'm thinking that if neuropathy could be reversed with their formula, that it could be done by using the vitamins I can afford to purchase. I got the idea when I saw it because of you sharing with us about you using B Complex etc to keep from having some of the problems from taking Metformin.

Any way here is the link to it if any of you want to read it...

http://www.neuropathytreatmentgroup.com/landers/1/

Things have kind of slowed down here again. I hope that means everyone is busy. I think Shannon is getting ready to go on her sewing retreat. Have a good time Shannon

Y'all have a nice weekend.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #60  

Patty, I sent you a private message and it said your box was full so here it is.

I'm down today because IE is not working any more and I know lots of health problems come with weight gain. I haven't been diabetic but haven't been checked for awhile. My bp is up a bit. Just feeling low. Love, Carol
Closed Thread