S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Default November PreD/Diabetes Support Chat

Welcome to our daily chat thread!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #2  
~Shannon

November 1 already, where did October go?!?

Time to face the music, haven't done my first of month tradition since Sept. Weight 178.6, will adjust ticker. Took measurements and not surprisingly, they are all up from September. I had a goal to be further along in my weight loss by end of year so with two months and two big eating holidays plus the impending birth of my niece left to go, I need to buckle down if I want to achieve my goals.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for switching us to the new month, Shannon.

"Where did October go?" I'm pretty sure it landed on my tummy, hips and thighs! That would account for weighing a whole six pounds more this day than on October 1. Of course we had our Thanksgiving, Halloween and various other "foodie" celebrations but still ...

Atkins induction certainly works for me but I think the cold weather is not a great time for me to do it. I managed pure induction for a few days and dropped weight but then the "Big C" hit and I went back to bean soup and pasta. (The Big C is not the cold weather but due to lack of veggies and fruit.) I guess I was overconfident after my terrific HA1C bloodwork results.

Anyhow, I am back on track with mindful eating and hope to knock off some blubber this month. I'll try to pop in more often but there is no sense reporting my FBGL readings since they are always around the same.

Good luck to us all but rely on determination!
Old 11-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Sorry for posting in the October thread. Life got ahead of me.

Shannon, why will you be eating more with the impending birth of your niece? LOL

Ruth, I get like that after getting my A1c done. For the next couple weeks I seem to go how wild. Time to get down to business.

Trish, we went to the other Ollies today and no book there either. I guess you got the only one. I ordered it from the library and I will get it in about a week. I saw it online at Walmart. $12.49! Not for me. I could have bought it on Half.com for $.75 plus shipping but the one from the library is free, so that's what I'll settle for.

We were in Home Depot today looking at lights for over the dining room table. I saw one I like, but it was $189 and I said I will wait to see if it goes on sale or look online. I just want to replace the old fashioned one I have now. On the way home, we stopped at Goodwill. They were putting stuff out that was just donated and DH found a light, brand new, still in the box, almost the same as the one I wanted, for $19.99. I was so excited! At first when we saw the picture on the box I told DH to look inside and make sure the people didn't stick their old light in there, and was so surprised to see that it was the brand new one, still with all the packing in it. We saved $170!!!

I also bought a book at Goodwill, Mindless Eating, Why We Eat More Than We Think. I really need to read this book because much of my problem is eating too much, and picking at stuff here and there. I started reading the introduction, and it is written with a little bit of humor, so I think I will like it.

I wanted a soup tureen and didn't want to buy one new since they are so much. Last week I bought one at Goodwill for $12.99. It was Phaltzgraff, basic white. Today I saw another Phaltzgraff, prettier, for $6.99 so I bought that one too. I will have to find someone who wants the other one. I want to make Butternut Squash Soup for Thanksgiving and Slovak Mushroom Soup for Christmas and want to have a pretty tureen to serve it in. It isn't something I would spend a lot of money on.

So I am calling this a very good day! Now if my blood sugar and weight would go down it would per a perfect day!
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #5  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Shannon, why will you be eating more with the impending birth of your niece? LOL
I'm just considering it a holiday like the others over the next couple months - holidays usually mean more eating or higher carb eating - at least for me they do!!

I baked grain free sugar free sliced cookies today and we are going to frost them soon - they burnt a bit but I'm hoping the frosting makes them edible, lol! I stayed low carb with breakfast and lunch so far - hopefully getting a good start in the new month!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #6  

I guess you're right. A new baby is definately something to celebrate!

Trish, I was reading about taking cinnamon for diabetes. There are 2 kinds of cinnamon...cassia and ceylon. The ceylon cinnamon is considered to be "real cinnamon" and that is what you are supposed to take for diabetes. Cassia cinnamon is what you buy in the grocery store for baking. Which one are you taking? I bought cinnamon capsules once and they didn't do anything for me. I still have the bottle as I didn't finish taking them. It does not say it is ceylon cinnamon. They said that the ceylon cinnamon will say that on the label. I might try looking for the ceylon cinnamon and giving it another try. I don't know if you can buy it other than on the internet.

I hope everyone remembers to turn their clocks back tonight, except for those of us who do not observe daylight-saving time, like in AZ. I don't know if there are any other states that don't observe it.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #7  
~Shannon

There is a portion of Indiana that does not....one of my old large pharma clients is located there and we always got our telecon times messed up when the time changed each time!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #8  

My TV and VCR automatically adjust the time, but my Glucose Meter didn't! LOL I guess I'm expecting a miracle. LOL

This has nothing to do with Daylight Savings, but at one job, I started at 7AM and I had to call the produce companies in CA. They always started work very very early in the morning so it was OK, but once in a while I would dial a wrong number and I could tell I woke someone up! Hallooo?

I haven't read much of my book Mindless Eating, but they have made some interesting points. For example, if you try to cut considerable calories from your diet you are going to eventually feel deprived and fall off the wagon. They speak of a Mindless Margin...100 calories more or less than you normall eat. We all know that if we eat 100 calories more every day, we are going to gain without realizing it. The same goes for eating 100 calories less. That is the Mindless Margin. You will lose weight over time without even noticing a difference. It would not be a fast enough loss to make us appreciate it in most cases, but a loss just the same. DH does this. He has never been overweight, but if his pants start to get a little tight he just cuts back a bit. Never mentions it, but I start to notice he is leave a few bites on his plate, and he loses.

Another example they gave was, at a movie theatre, they gave everyone a free popcorn. Some got a medium and some got a large. The stipulation was that they had to turn in their popcorn tub and fill out a questionaire. Did they enjoy the popcorn? Did they feel satisfied with the amount of popcorn, deprived, or stuffed? The people who had the medium were just as satisfied as the ones who had the large, but the people who had the large automatically ate more without realizing it.

For the most part, I stick to low carb because of my blood sugar, but I do have problems with eating way too much. I'm hoping that something they say in this book will hit a nerve.

They also talked about prisoners who gain a lot of weight because they are wearing big baggy prison jumpsuits and don't realize they are gaining weight. I know if you spend your winter in loose sweat pants or like I do, in stretchy yoga pants, they will just expand as you gain and when you try to put your jeans on you can't button them. You have to keep wearing your more form fitting clothes or get on the scale every day. There's something about being very uncomfortable in tight pants that keeps you from eating too much.

Yesterday, I thought I lost my Fitbit when we were out and about. I was so upset. I keep it in the pocket of my jeans and it wasn't there. I thought it fell out when I went to the ladies room. DH said to just buy another one, but when we were almost home I reached in my jacket pocket and there it was. I had taken it out to show DH how many steps I had taken and I guess I put it in my jacket pocket by mistake. I love my Fitbit.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I don't know what kind of cinnamon I have, but it is working so I'm not sure I am going to worry about it. Glad you found your Fitbit.

Just want to let y'all know if I come up MIA that I'll be back. I think my pc maybe going out on me.

FBS was up a little today and so was my weight. I'm not surprised. I am going to implement some of the ideas I'm seeing in this book although not to the extent she says. I will allow myself up to 3 starchy carbs she suggests rather than the 5 the Whole Foods diet calls for. I plan to make most of my meals from the green light freebies. I thought of something you said Carol Sue about you lost weight in the hospital drinking milk with every meal when she said that it is believed that drinking milk with your meal helps you lose weight. She recommends 2 or 3 servings a day. She does say use soy if you have a problem with regular.

Haven't read about the fat yet. I do think this is doable. I've got to do something that I can do on a regular basis without falling off the wagon. It is more about eating more low glycemic I think she said 90% of the time and allowing yourself some high glycemic 10% of the time because she does not forbid any foods because that leads to problems.

I am hating the cold weather this year. I never thought I would ever want to move back to FL, but I told DH yesterday that I would move back if I could. I'm experiencing some nerve problems that I had in TX before I married him and I suddenly realized yesterday that those problems went away when I married him and moved to FL. I don't know if we can or will, but I'm no longer closed to the idea. Strange how I felt about things when the kids lived here, but after the little time we spent with the kids last week made me realize that I really do miss them. Oh well. You never know.

I'll try to check in again tomorrow. Y'all have a super Sunday.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #10  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Hello Ladies

Just wanted to let you all know that I am still hanging in there FBS hasn't been as low as I'd like but it hasn't gone above 141 and that was only once. The lowest it was in October was 113. My highest weight has been 160.2 and today I weighed in at 156.8 after low/no carbs yesterday. I'm not happy about realizing that I have only loss 1.8lbs since June 30th . But life goes on
Old 11-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #11  

Good to see you Rennie! I miss your posts. As long as you lost, don't worry that it wasn't as much as you wanted. A loss is a loss, and your blood sugar is doing good, compared to when you started out.

Trish, our little shopping center near our house was doing terrible. All the stores were leaving. Then someone bought the center and remodeled it. It took over a year, but now it is almost full. The GNC had moved out a few years ago, but now they are back and having a grand opening. I guess they saw how much business the shopping center is getting and decided they wanted back in. I never shopped there much but now it's there if I need it. We are so glad they rejuvinated that shopping plaza.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Hi, all. I am not new to this board, but I just received my diabetes diagnosis with a1c of 9.4 a week ago. I feel terribly upset and depressed about it. I am not sure what to do -- waiting to see the endo on Tuesday morning. My daughter is having surgery on Wednesday, so that is adding considerably to the stress. One of the most upsetting things is that I looked at my numbers from my labs just two years ago. At that time, I was overweight but my a1c was 5.5 and fasting glucose was 110. When they tested it the other day, fasting except for a crystal light, it was 217. So far no medication, and each reading on the glucose monitor makes me more sad -- yep, its really and truly diabetes. I don't know what type, but probably type 2.

Much more upsetting is that my other daughter is obese - - only eleven years old and I am worried sick about her. I drew her fasting blood this morning and will call the pediatrician the first thing tomorrow morning.

Thank you for having this support forum, I never thought I would need it.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #13  

I cannot do the carbs. I find myself eating more than the 3 to 5 carbs. The book says it will settle back down, but I'm not patient enough to trust it I am going to keep just the green freebie foods and just allow myself the starchy carbs when eating out or at special occasions. I think I know my limits. Not going to push things beyond what I can tolerate.

Rennie Glad to see you.

lettingslenderin WELCOME to the diabetic group.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #14  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Carol Sue and Trish, I miss you all too and all of the information that you all post on here. I hope to get everything in order soon

lettingslenderin, sorry about your numbers I think we are/were all in denial in the beginning but it is what it is the ladies on this thread are great and a wealth of information. You'll get all of the support you need here
Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #15  

Hope my pc lasts for me to share this. It kind of goes in and out on me. We ordered a new battery and charger last night hoping that is going to fix it so I don't have to buy another one for a little longer.

My weight was up to 221.? yesterday morning. And I expected it to be horrible this morning because I had eaten some of the candy and even chips last night eating way more than 5 starchy carbs allowed. Amazing thing is that my weight was back down to 216.2 this morning and my fbs was the same as it was yesterday 143. I did read in the book that one reason we don't lose the weight is that we don't eat enough. It is strange to me eating snacks any way, since I've tried just eating 3 meals a a day.

Given this experience, I've decided to give this thing a shot and do it exactly the way she suggests. She doesn't suggest portions except for when it comes to the rule of no more than 5 servings of 15 grams of carbs each although so far she has suggested 2 to 3 servings of dairy to protect our bones especially in us older folks. Still haven't read about the fats although she suggest lowfat dairy and eat the good fats. I'll get to that today. I am going to shoot for no more than 3 servings of carbs because I do want to eat lower carb.

According to the lady, the reason we need to eat some starchy foods in our diet is to lower the lDL cholesterol and triglycerides. Of course, we do know we can do that without any starches. I am interested in this because I have done this long enough to know that I have a habit of getting derailed by them sometime. If I can lose weight and keep my fbs level down by having a few then maybe I can keep from falling off the wagon so much. They just become a part of my daily eating. Also, she said with potatoes that if you leave the skin on them that it lowers the glycemic because the skin is the fiber. I actually like my mashed potatoes with the skin on them when ever I make them.

Oh, I don't know if I shared this yesterday or not, but she said that people who are lactose sensitive sometimes can handle cheese even though they have a problem with milk. Just thought I would throw that out for those who just read.

Well, I made it without the pc going out on me so I better close for now.

Have a great day everybody.
Closed Thread