Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #31  

Height: 5'5"

Wannabehealthy, thank you, the endo said my numbers dropped so significantly that she is giving me a three month trial period to find out if I can get my numbers lower. So far, they are a lot lower without meds. Fasting glucose from 217 to 163 since October 22, so that's apparently a good drop without meds. Basically, all I am doing is eating low carb. Will add exercise soon.

More later. I am reading every word you all write.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Job Lettingslenderin! That's a pretty good drop in FBS. As you continue eating low carb, start exercising and lose more weight, it should drop even lower. You may have read where I said my fasting readings aren't where they should be, but the readings throughout the day are pretty good. You may be able to control this without meds. My goal is to get off some of mine.

Trish, My doctors appointment went well. My A1c is 6.7, and last time it was 6.5, so not much change. My cholesterol went from 125 to 160, but I had cut back my statin to 1/2 of what is prescribed. Under 200 is considered good, so the doctor was happy and so am I. My LDL went from 45 to 75 and my triglycerides stayed over 200. Those are not good, and I am going to have to read up to see if I can improve them. I really don't want to go back to the full dose of statins.

Always more work to do.

The doctor looked at my ankles to see if they were swelling and then he asked me what was going on with the rash. As I was telling him about it he was writing and never said any more about it. I don't know what he was writing. I was just happy that he was happy about my labs, so I'm not going to worry about the rash. It isn't as bad as it was last week.

I also got a pneumonia shot while I was there. No flu shot!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-06-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

lettingslenderin Evidently you are getting the bs under control. Congratulations. You are doing good.

Carol Sue You basically had a good doctor's visit. I also wonder why he took note of the rash but said nothing.

I have had a strange experience concerning the rash I had recently. Since I have taken on some of the ideas of the "dummies" book, and balancing the carbs rather than cut them out, I'm not having the rash any more. I'm actually eating more balanced than I was with the strict low carb. So I'm not sure what that all means, but it is working.

I did have a little more carbs yesterday as we ended up at TGIF. DH loved eating there, but when we left and headed home, he said, "I don't think I want to go there any more". He complained that he spent so much money and couldn't eat all that food and always had to bring part of it home. He isn't a big eater.

I was pleased with myself at the restaurant. I ate one rib off his plate which was so small and barely any meat and 2 of the shrimp. I did have a bite or 2 of the chicken tender. I had ordered the toastado nachos, but I only ate half and brought the rest home. Last night I ate one and realized that I really didn't like the texture so the rest went down the disposal. I'm glad he doesn't want to go there any more. Although I ate more carby yesterday, eating intuitively, I only ate as much as it took to satisfy my hunger. When I took the few bites of his food, I didn't want any more and when we left the restaurant, I was satisfied and not stuffed.

One thing I do need to do is figure out what I want to eat at night for dinner because I am too lazy to cook. Since I'm not actually doing low carb, I am thinking about healthy tv dinners if I can't think of anything else that easy and quick. I think I'm going to end up just eating 3 meals a day because I'm getting like I always am when I do Intuitive Eating, I just don't get hungry even at night the snacking stops.

Just hope I can keep it up.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #34  

Trish, I think when I reminded the doctor that I have psoriasis he just attributed the rash to that. I think when he writes things down, it is to remind him to ask about it next time to see if there is any change. He always wants to give me steroid creams for the psoriasis, but I get it in so many places I told him I would have to take a bath in it. I found a lotion that helps, and then sometimes I switch lotions so my body doesn't become immune to one.

I am almost half way through the dummies book. I think it's funny that we call it that. It reminds me so much of the diet they put me on when I was in the hospital, first diagnosed Type 2. That diet included 5 carbs at each meal, but the difference is, they counted fruits, vegetables and milk as carbs, whereas she doesn't in the dummy book. I think many people forget that vegetables ARE carbs.

There's something I want you to look at, if your book is exactly like mine. On page 29 in chapter 2 there is a big block titled "Knowing how low carb diets work." Toward the end of the block, she compares a low carb diet as we know it to her diet. To paraphrase, she says that when doing a low carb diet when you reintroduce carbs into your diet, the carbs stimulate insulin, and you lose control...because you never learned to control those foods in your diet. What I'm reading is that following her plan, you learn to eat carbs in very small portions and never have to worry about losing control. That was my diet from the hospital...fruit was a couple sections of orange or a couple slices of canned pears, not a whole piece of fruit. Potatoes were 3 or 4 cubes of roasted potato. Oatmeal was a very tiny amount, and they always gave me 1 scrambled egg beater, 1 slice of whole grain toast and a small portion of fruit, instead of a larger portion of anything. By continuing that when I came home I was able to lose 20 lbs and keep my blood sugar in line. I always had skim milk too, and they counted that as a carb. I really need to get back to portion control. I think I'm already eating the right foods.

We haven't been to TGIF for years. The one time we went there, there was almost an hour wait for a table, so that was it for DH. Texas Roadhouse is right next door and DH was much more satisfied with his meal there. We went there a couple days ago and I was really disappointed. I get pulled pork there but this time it had so much sauce on it, it was soupy and it's so sugary. I usually pull out a larger chunk of the meat so that it doesn't have much sauce and eat that. It was impossible to do that this time. I brought it home and rinsed off the sauce so I could have it for lunch the next day. It still had the taste of the sauce, without all the sugar. Also, since it was a week day, both of our meals were to be $1 off....they were on the happy hour list. She charged us full price. I called it to her attention and she said she thought it was Friday. She took our receipt to change it, but when we got it back, she had only changed the price on DHs meal, not mine. I let it go rather than have her do the receipt a third time. But we go there during the week because of the happy hour pricing, and also because there's not usually a wait. On top of the pricing issue, my meal was not satisfactory. I will not order their pulled pork any more. I rarely make it at home, but when I do, I cook the meat just with a rub, and serve the sauce on the side so each person can use the amount of sauce they want.

I think this diet could be adapted to include just the carbs you want to include. Her minimum is 3 per day, and that is only 45 gm of carb plus the carbs in your fruits and vegetables. It's easy to add some beans to a salad, or sprinkle some Fiber One cereal into oatmeal to get fiber. The Crack the Fat Loss Code book recommends adding some protein powder to oatmeal, which sounds like a good idea to me, too. They call it Power Oats. They also make protein shakes using orange/lemon Crystal Light instead of water, to make it like an Orange Creamcicle. I would really like that!

Having your carbs earlier in the day helps, too. Since you eat your big meal mid day, you could maybe cook a little more to have for you small dinner, unless you don't want to be eating the same food twice. And there's always tuna or chicken salad that can be made ahead. When I cook chicken I always cook extra so I have some in the fridge if I want it. You could buy deli turkey and make a wrap with a lettuce leaf and a pickle spear. There's ways to get around cooking, especially when this is your smaller meal.

So this is my book contribution for the day! LOL Enjoy your Saturday.

Shannon, if you're reading, I hope your finger is starting to heal and feel better.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-08-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #35  

Carol Sue I really enjoyed your review and ensight on the dummies book. I'm not sure I really read that part of page 29. However, I did read it again before I left for beauty shop and I will be reading it again.

I've thought about the Richard Simmons diet I did years ago and it was basically the same as this book. I like her suggestions and I also like the idea that if I use some of her ideas, I won't have to count anything. I

I agree with you that when you say low carb diet, most people forget that fruit and veggies are carbs. I remember one time when I was doing Atkins that DGS said to me "Nannie, you need your carbs for energy". I told him, "I get my carbs. I just get them from veggies".

Actually, I'm glad that you shared how they fed you in the hospital comparing with the book. I love a glass of milk with lunch... always have even when I was a thin kid. Although she doesn't count the carbs, it is a carb.

Years ago when they did the old, probably original Weight Watcher's, my second DH aunt would make copies of the diet for me. That was when you started with kind of a level one and progressed. They did more of exchanges. You knew how much oil, flours etc you could have a day. On days when I would make fried chicken (being the good southern wife/mother I was), I would save all my oil, starchy exchanges etc so I could have the same meal with the family. I actually was losing weight, but I had learned how to work with my portions to have what I wanted when I wanted. My family didn't feel like they were on a diet and neither did I. I loved worther's candy and this aunt and my MIL would keep them at their house. Once a week we went over to play cards and I would sit in front of everyone, play cards and have one serving of my favorite candy for my weekly treat.

Yes I agree that I too know how to eat healthy, I also need to learn portion control. I remember one doctor's visit when I said to my doctor "I eat healthy food". To which he said "Maybe you are just eating too much of the healthy food". I agree with him. I also like the way she says things in this book. She doesn't say that you have to eat this, this, this and this or this much. She explains why you need to eat certain things and the her wording is more of example "You can eat a 5 servings of starchy carbs, but if you don't want to eat that much then you can just eat 3". For some reason, if you tell me you have to eat this much food or you cannot have this food, you lose me and it sets me up for failure. Just me.

I can do this and I can do it intuitively. Her ideas or a guide for me and I will fit it in my life in a way that words for me. I don't want to have to eat 1200 to 1500 calories. I want to be left to eat less on days I want to. I really think I would probably eat less than 1200 calories many times, but I also know that when you go out to eat that I may eat up to 1500 calories if not more. I really believe that it would even out.

Thanks again friend for sharing your feelings.

Shannon I hope your finger is healing and you will back sharing with us again. You are missed.

dgramie, Rennie, Ruthie and others

Have a great weekend.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #36  

Just had to say YAY the new battery and plug came today and DH plugged it in for me and it works. So glad I don't have to buy a new pc right now. Also, as much as I appreciated him letting me use his most of the time, I do like mine better.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #37  

Trish, is your computer a laptop? We have a laptop but I rarely use it. I can also get online with my Nook, but I don't do that much either. It's OK for reading but it's hard to type on it.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #38  

I finished the first part of the dummies book, now I am at the part with the recipes. I just skimmed through it. Some of the recipes look interesting. Now I am at the pat where she tells how to get committed to doing it. That's what I need....some suggestions to help me stick with it.

DH wanted to go out for breakfast both yesterday and today. I always eat too much when we do that. I would much rather eat breakfast at home. I can make it so much cheaper. $15 plus a tip for eggs and sausage!!!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Where is everyone
. I am just posting to see if the site is working since it is highly unusual to go two days with no posts!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #40  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Finger still in giant bandage, stitches coming out Saturday, eating awful, looking like a beached whale!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #41  

Shannon, I doubt if you look like a beached whale! What do you think is causing this eating fury? It's really not like you. We need to get to the bottom of this.

Laurie,
I agree that it is not like us not to have posts every day. Many people have left us. Trish and I are usually always here. She was having computer problems but I thought they were resolved, so I don't know where she is lately. I hope she's OK.

Things are the same for me. My blood sugar has been up because I haven't taken my glimiperide for 2 days. I am stopping it for a week to see if that is what is causing this itchy rash. Sometimes my legs get so itchy that I scratch them until they bleed. I read up about it online and a rash and/or itch can be a side effect. It appears to be improved today, but it has improved other times and then came back. I would rather find out what it is by process of elimination instead of the doctor sending me for a bunch of tests. This is the only med that has been added lately. I have not changed my soap or lotion or laundry supplies. The only other thing that is different is the coffee creamer I started using recently. I will check that next if it is not the glimiperide. If not one of those, then I'm stumped.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #42  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi Ladies! I know it has been a while but I have been so busy I have not had much time latley to do much of anything. Between working with the hubby and taking care of the house the kids and all the stuff with me I dont have much time to sit down at the computer.
Well the GOOD NEWS is I have LOST 100 POUNDS as of today went to the dr this morning and he was so excited to see how things went this month. I am now down to 207.5 When I walked in hos office I was 307.5 This has been since December when I actually got everything started it was January and this is where I am today. I am so excited. I had to replace my whole closet full of clothes and I am currentley in a 18/20 where I was in a very tight 28 I have a day full of stuff to do I hope I can get back here this evening and catch up with everyone. I sure do miss keeping in touch with everyone. I will be back hopefully I will have a new picture I can post. Till Later!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #43  

Bonnie, I am so happy to see your post! We missed you and always get concerned when we don't hear from you. I am so glad your news is such good news. I can't wait to see an updated picture. 100 lbs! I just can't believe it. I hope you can get back here and give us more details. I'm also curious to know how this has effected your blood sugar, and the problem you were having with your foot or ankle, whichever it was.

You made my day!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #44  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
Hi Ladies! I know it has been a while but I have been so busy I have not had much time latley to do much of anything. Between working with the hubby and taking care of the house the kids and all the stuff with me I dont have much time to sit down at the computer.
Well the GOOD NEWS is I have LOST 100 POUNDS as of today went to the dr this morning and he was so excited to see how things went this month. I am now down to 207.5 When I walked in hos office I was 307.5 This has been since December when I actually got everything started it was January and this is where I am today. I am so excited. I had to replace my whole closet full of clothes and I am currentley in a 18/20 where I was in a very tight 28 I have a day full of stuff to do I hope I can get back here this evening and catch up with everyone. I sure do miss keeping in touch with everyone. I will be back hopefully I will have a new picture I can post. Till Later!
Congratulations Bonnie, that is amazing!!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #45  

Hi Everyone

I'm still here. I'm just been busy trying to move more and DH has suddenly started coming alive (so to speak). We are always together, but I am really enjoying his company. I think that the time we spent with his daughter and grandkids really made a difference. I think we both thought that relationship was shot. I know I was relieved that his DD and I still can have a relationship and I believe that means a lot to him. He still has a problem with her DH, but knowing she still cares means a lot to him.

I'm also really trying to decided what I'm going to do about my eating. It has to get under control. Our pastor's message last week was really an eye opener. He has named this series Counselor. He basis it on a question a week that Jesus would ask us. Didn't hear the first one and haven't gone back to watch it on line yet. The second was "Do you believe I can do this?" I was fine with that one, but last Sunday it was "Do you want to be made well?" He used the text where Jesus went to the man by the pool of Bethesda where disabled set waiting for the angel to come down and stir the water and the 1st person in was healed. He then talked to us about whatever addiction or problem some of us have battled for years. Of course, for me it is my weight.

Strange thing is that I really did not want to go to church Sunday and DH said to me the night before "You know when you feel like this and then you go that you always get something from it that you would have miss". So we went and boy did I. I don't know how many times I have asked myself "How bad do you want this?" So I've really been doing some thinking about this since then. I've also asked myself this morning "What are the results that I want?". I read some myths about dieting yesterday.

I know I'm NOT going to do Lowcarb 100% Everyday. I've seen very few people who can do this without ever eating some starchy carbs "sometime". So if I decided that whatever I do, I have to allow myself "some" starchy carbs at least once in a while. I also realized that the reason that I have always liked lowcarbing is not just for the weight loss, but it also seems that people who low carb do not wrinkle like people who do other diets. Which at 71 y/o is a big plus. So I suddenly realized that I need to weigh the pros and cons of the benefits of the plan I want to follow as a lifestyle. It cannot be a "diet" because that implies "rules" that can and probably will be broken... and it implies that "someday I don't have to eat this way any more" which will defeat the purpose of "thinking lifestyle".

I think I've decided to continue doing Intuitive Eating, but to focus more on lowcarb eating. Besides the NO or Less wrinkling, let's face it the fbs lowers and stabilizes too which is a big + for diabetes.

Bonnie CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 100 lbs gone You go girl!!! The fbs should be doing great as well. I too am curious about how your knees and foot responded to the loss. Also how is your aunt? If I remember right she had just learned she had cancer the last time we heard from you and don't you have a new grandbaby?

Shannon Glad you are recovering and can at least check in with us. Hope the typing finger is back to normal really soon.

Laurie It is unusual for either Carol Sue or me to be here writing. Glad to have you checking in.

Carol Sue My fbs hasn't been as low as it usually is with the Glucocil. I think it is because it works best with lowcarbing and my eating has been anything but lowcarb of late. I figure it would have been worse though if I hadn't had the Glucocil. I could take one of DH glymiperide (I don't think I ever spell that word right) and get it down really quick, but I prefer to do it right this time even if I do end up with a higher reading when I go to the doctor in December. BTW I didn't know about the glymiperide causing itching. DH told me last night that he didn't know why he was experiencing so much itching. No rash just the itching. I'll have to keep an eye out for him as it is on his middle part of his back. He takes the max allowed of the stuff.

I'm back OP this morning. I don't really want to jinx myself by giving my way of eating a name, but I have decided to mostly 95% of the time eat Lowcarb Intuitively. Now to get committed.

Have a great day y'all.
Closed Thread