3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/298290-august-diabetes-prediabetes-support-chat.html)

Shannonsnail 08-15-2014 01:06 AM

Still alive....friday is last day before movers come....still packing old house and prepping in new house

Wannabehealthy 08-15-2014 09:49 AM

Yesterday I made tacos and we had our first tomato from the garden. Very juicy and good after all the store bought tomatoes I've been buying. Now there are 2 more on the window sill and a couple more turning red on the vine. Have to start eating them!

Hi Zinke! I'm glad to hear you had a good time. It's always nice to get away and also nice to get back home. I wouldn't worry about any gain, it was a vacation..not a time to be watching every morsel you ate. If you get right back on plan it will come back off.

My thyroid is weird. It was always in the 2.4 range. One day last year I felt so terrible with an irregular heart beat and spiking blood pressure. They did tests and said everything looked good except my TSH was 7.9 and advised me to go to my PCP. I called him, and instead of seeing me or doing more tests he just put me on synthroid. I was good for about a week then I felt terrible again. I quit taking the synthroid, the DR tested in a month, and my thyroid was back to "normal." Lately it has been creeping up again, like to 3.7 but doc says it's still normal. I have heard that it's a sign that the thyroid will eventually go hypo. Guess I'll just wait and see.

I will have to start asking for hard copies.

Thinking about you Shannon! Hope you have good weather for the move and all goes smoothly!

Trish, hope the changes you're making work well for you. We will find our nitch!

Hi Dgramie, Ruthie, Donna!

Where are you Bonnie, Mad, And all the others MIA?

pattygirl63 08-15-2014 10:57 AM

FBS was 116 and weight has been 221 area for 4 or 5 days. So changed my ticker. FBS has been under 120 for about 4 days. So I'm happy with the way that is going. Woke up and ready to get up this morning so I am feeling better.

Had a banana/blueberry yogurt smoothie for breakfast. Planning wings for lunch and have my eggs for dinner tonight. So will have around 1000 to 1200 calories today. I've switched to 1/2 and 1/2 coffee. Making my own right now with regular and decaf. Maybe I will finally just go to decaf. Not sure. Will see how this goes for now.

Zinkie Glad you are home and had a good time. I had my doc check my thyroid because my dad and mama had to take thyroid meds. I guess am always at the low end of normal because they say I'm borderline. I don't think they even check it unless I ask plus I've heard that there are to things to check for and at this time can't remember the 2, but I read they don't really check the one that should be checked. AMA doesn't think it is necessary to check the other.

I have noticed the past few mornings that I have had dry mouth really, really bad which I makes me think that I almost dehydrated myself terribly. No wonder I was so fatigued. It was better this morning, but still dry mouth. I think I caused that because I was drinking caffeinated coffee and tea, taking the mild diuretic and eating lowcarb. I didn't think about stopping the diuretic and never really worried about drinking caffeine even though every lowcarb diet I've seen says "Do not take diuretics and drink decaf coffee/tea". Atkins goes so far in the newer books to say "Do not take any diuretics a week before starting the diet". So I think it was crazy for me to not heed the advise of the lowcarb diets. It was my fault. Thus I will switch to all decaf drinks if I have to. Fatigue is part of the symptoms of switching to fat burning lowcarb diets, but the diuretics/caffeine combination made mine extreme.

Carol Sue Thanks. I already feeling better and really believe that I will continue to feel better each day as lowcarb becomes my normal way of eating. I've been reading more on the Dietdoctor.com and he has helped me to see that the modifications I'm making to my way of eating are good healthy changes. The carbs that I'm keeping such as a small amount of fruit, the dairy in my diet and occasional grains will not hurt me. It might slow down my weight loss a little, but I really believe that at my age the benefits out way the speed of weight loss.

Shannon Glad you checked in. Hope the move goes smoothly. Soon you'll be in your new home and this will be behind you. Look forward to when you can post regularly again.

Bonnie, Rennie, Ruthie, Mad We miss you and would love to hear from you.

dgramie, Donna and anyone else I missed :wave:

Have a good day/weekend.

Edit: Did the 20 minutes using the Kettlebell. Boy that makes me sweat. LOL Also have the energy today to get some much needed housework done that I haven't felt like doing this week. YAY!!!

Wannabehealthy 08-15-2014 02:34 PM

Trish, I bookmarked Dietdoctor.com. I did breeze through it a little bit and I have read some things on some of those stories. The one about the woman who stopped craving sweets and carbs by eating LCHF hit home. I do not eat HF, but after I started eating all the vegetables I no longer was interested in sweets so I can relate to that.

I had heard about Statins causing high blood sugar, but I googled mine and it is not one of the ones that causes high blood sugar. I have been on it for a long time. It's one of the older ones. A couple times my PCP wanted to switch me to a newer one but my cardiologist is satisfied with the results with the one I am on and realizes that I need generics because I cannot afford the copay on brand.

pattygirl63 08-15-2014 09:13 PM

Well, I know what caused the diarrhea. It is curcumin/turmeric that I've been taking. I didn't take it for a while and started it back up last week. Took it out a few days and got better. Took one today with lunch and it hit me again. I read up on 2 things today. Lactose intolerance and curcumin. Some of the symptoms of lactose intolerance were what I was experiencing, but I'm sure it was the curcumin. It says while there are usually no problems when cooking with turmeric, that some people can not take it in pill form. So at least I know where all this is coming from. While I'm sure it is the curcumin and won't be taking it, I am going to lay off of the dairy for a few days as well just to give my digestive track time to really heal.

Y'all have a great weekend.

Wannabehealthy 08-16-2014 08:04 AM

Trish, I'm not surprised that it's the tumeric. You really have to watch with those supplements. I'm glad it wasn't something worse.

I slept straight thru for 5 hours last night. I'm surprised because I usually wake up every couple hours. It must have been deep sleep too because I feel rested this morning. I know I should get more than 5 hours, but for me, that's good. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep but today wasn't one of those days. I have gotten into the habit of taking a Benadryl tablet at bedtime for sleep. Sometimes I don't take it, but I put it on my night stand and if I wake up during the night and can't fall back to sleep then I take it. Many nights I don't need it. I don't want to become dependent on a sleep aid but I know I need my sleep. When I was in the hospital and I asked the doctor for something to help me sleep he said No, but he said he would give me Benadryl, so I figured that must be safe. I do have allergies, so I have 2 reasons to take it. Next time I am at the pharmacy I will ask the pharmacist if it's safe to take it long term. It's one of the ingredients in Tylenol PM. I don't want to get into the habit of taking Tylenol on a regular basis.

My step-daughter ate milk on cereal all her life growing up, but now she says she gets a belly ache. I don't know if that's really true, because from when they first got married she told me her husband eats cereal without milk and she might not have wanted to buy milk just for herself. She does eat yogurt and ice cream though. I don't have any food intolerances, unfortunately. LOL I have to watch fatty fried foods because of my hiatal hernia, but I don't like greasy foods anyway. My mother fried everything when I was growing up and DH loves fried foods, but I got away from it once I moved out of my mother's house.

I guess today is a busy busy day for Shannon! We miss you girl! Hope everything is going well!

Shannonsnail 08-16-2014 09:53 AM

This move has started off badly but I am not the least bit surprised. I warned my husband we shouldn't use this moving company because of bad reviews. The movers themselves are perfectly fine but the owner gave us alot of wrong info on the phone and supplied the wrong size truck (though we conformed the sise with her mutiple times). We are now looking at having to do two trips with this smaller truck. Of course the owner is conveniently not answering her phone. I'm really excited to get everything in the new house (though I've now decided all our furniture is old and ugly against the backdrop of the new pretty house, lol!) but I am just sick over how much stuff I will have to come back to continue packing nd moving. I did as much as I could but hubby hurt his kneee three weeks ago moving that washing machine and has not been able to do much plus with working all day there hasn't been much time for him to help anyway. I estimate I will spend the next week coming back everyday to move stuff out....by myself with a 4 yr old who will have absolutely nothing to do in an empty house. I was doing that in the new house all of this past week but .i had TV hooked up and toys there that I had moved in already. So, I am just dreading it. I am in love with my new house though. Having spent this week moving boxes into it and cleaning it, I love it even more than when we put the offer in. We had a painter come and turn Olivia's room pink....it looks like bubble gum now, lol! Anyway, just thought I'd drop a line while waiting on the movers....can't really do anything til they get the truck loaded. Hope to be back soon. Have been eating out 3 meals a day for a week....turning into a quarter pounder....

Wannabehealthy 08-16-2014 10:27 AM

Good to hear from you Shannon! You know things NEVER go as planned. It will be over soon. We moved ourselves and the truck we got was too small. Had to make 2 trips, but we were only 10 miles away. I wanted all new furniture too, but it took a while before I could do that. I'm excited for you and would love to see pictures if you want to share. Is it on Zillow?

pattygirl63 08-16-2014 10:39 AM

Shannon So sorry about the movers screw up. This move has been a trying of your patience dear girl. So glad you have fallen in love with your new house. One thing for sure, there will be a day this will be behind you and lessons learned if you ever have to move again. I know I learned a lot when we had this built and moved. The contractor was a relative of DH 1st wife's brother's wife. I learned that my Mama knew what she was talking about when she said "Don't do business with family". So many things were not up to what we asked for. #2 If I ever am blessed to have another house built, I will have an architect and legal papers drawn up to hold the contractor to my specifications. One of the movers stole what I'm sure he thought was a real pistol. It shot bbs. Hope the old saying "Bad start good ending" works for your.

Carol Sue I am learning about supplements. I looked up some of the other new ones I'm taking too. I'm slowly doing away with most of them except what the doc said for us to take.

I've been sleeping pretty good. Still wake up to go potty but not as often as I used to. I'm glad you are going to check about the Benadryl. I had forgotten it would help me sleep until my friend took it last night and mentioned that she got a good night sleep. I had just told her this morning that when I didn't get a quick response from her this morning, I figured she was sleeping in because she took it last night. I don't like taking sleeping pills, but I realized that I could take a Benadryl when I need help to sleep. However, I've kind of learned that on days that I get enough exercise I sleep really good that night.

When I read about lactose intolerance, it said that some people can eat cheese and yogurt although they can't drink milk or eat ice cream. I do know that when I eat a whole lot of dairy... too much cheese, I do get stuffy. My Daddy has really, really bad allergies and he knows that he may have an allergy to dairy, but he says he doesn't want to give it up. :?:

I had my eggs this morning without the cheese and the avocado. Just kind of laying off of things that might be aiding in the diarrhea until I get it completely out of here. Then I will add the fat back in slowly even the cheese.

FBS was 123, but I know that is probably because I ate some crackers for dinner. I wasn't in the mood to eat anything and I decided if there was acid in my stomach that it would help. So I had slices of meat with crackers. I also had a little bit of peanut butter, but didn't eat much of it because it didn't taste good to me. :?: Strange I used to love PB. Weight was still 221 although up .2 not a bad fluctuation. BP was kind of low so I didn't take my bp pill yet. I will take that later today.

I got up thinking I would love to have some beans and cornbread, but I won't do that not right now. I really want to ride out this moderate lower carb although it was a little high yesterday because of the crackers. I'll do better today. At least, my fbs was only up a little bit over 120. I really want to learn to keep it under. I just may have to keep my carbs between 50 to 90ish at all times to do that. It was over 100 yesterday. Who knew cracker carb grams were so high. At least now I have a plan that works.

We are learning. :hug: :)

Wannabehealthy 08-16-2014 11:34 AM

I need to get back to tracking so I know what my daily carbs are at least. I checked back to the day before I had that big weight drop and that was the day that I ate a good bit of chicken because I love it, but also had the small baked potato and corn on the cob. That day my total carbs were 83. The potato and corn came to 75, so I would have only been at 8 carbs without it, but I probably would have still eaten some type of vegetable which would have upped it a bit. Because I ate the protein first, my BS was great that day. The 3 lb whoosh could have been cumulative from the previous days, plus I drown myself in water that day. LOL I need to track. On my list of things to do. On the days I eat beans my carbs are higher too.

pattygirl63 08-16-2014 07:34 PM

Got up this morning and went to the beauty shop at noon. Didn't take any chances by going to women's meeting at the church. Came home and at a couple of franks and put cheddar cheese on it. No more dairy for me. Within one hour I was racing for the toilet. I read that if 30 minutes to 2 hrs after eating dairy, you are most likely lactose intolerant.

At first I was upset, but then I think of all the things that I have friends dealing with such as cancer, cysts etc and decided that this isn't all that bad. It could be worse, so I will gracefully learn to live with it and thank God that it isn't any worse. This will sure make lowcarbing easier.

kris2008 08-16-2014 09:33 PM

RE: Gluten - I went without wheat/bread for about 4 months. I had some good french bread recently and my stomach was not happy a few hours later. Extremely distended and achy. I don't think I have celiac but definitely have a reaction to wheat/gluten.

New topic - Relion meter and strips from Walmart. When I was diagnosed, my PCP gave me a Freestyle. Loved the ease of use, so little blood needed, seemed consistent readings. Strips are astronomically high priced though!

Bought a Relion from Walmart. Have brand new strips that do not expire until 2016. The readings are anywhere from 6 to 43 points higher than my Freestyle. 6 points higher was when I had lower readings. Readings are all over the place, but always higher with the Relion. Using the control solution, my Freestyle was almost exactly in the middle of normal at 94. With the Relion it was 137. Have you guys checked your Relions against other meters? I'm not sure I can stick with this cheaper meter. Think the meter is faulty?

Glad to see everyone is doing well.

Wannabehealthy 08-17-2014 09:46 AM

Hi Kris! Good to see you here. I haven't used a brand name meter for a long time, several years. Before I bought the Relion I had a Target brand meter and switched to Relion when Target raised the price on their strips. After I retired and went on Medicare it was hard to buy strips. First of all, insurance limits the number of strips you are allowed. In order to test as often as I want to I had to switch to the Relion meter until I was allowed to get more strips. Plus, the brand strips could not be bought at a pharmacy. They had to be bought from certain Medical Supply companies, such as Liberty. Liberty was hard to work with. Some orders were cancelled without them notifying me, and other times they would send lancets when I only ordered strips. Now I heard that we can once again buy them at certain pharmacies but I would have to get an RX for them and still would only get enough strips to test once a day. I think when I first got my Relion I was still using the One Touch strips I have left and although the readings were different, they weren't drastically different. Because I am now getting readings in the 100s instead of 200s and 300s I know my blood sugar is under better control. When you are full blown diabetic is is harder to have your reading in the "normal" range and you learn that getting to a "better" range is satisfactory. I can understand wanting more exact readings when you're dealing with Pre-diabetes. You want to keep from becoming diabetic. Also, when you are Type 2 and you get a high reading, there's not much you can do about it except exercise. It is much more important for a Type 1 to get a more accurate reading because they need to know how much insulin to inject and to avoid a dangerous low caused by insulin.

Also, are you using control solution on your Relion meter? I saw a big change after I finally got control solution. And, I guess any meter could be faulty. No meter is exactly right on, and you can get a different reading even if you test with the same meter minutes apart, but if you are getting a difference over 10-20 points then one of the meters is wrong.

Don't be a stranger! We appreciate your input.

Trish, I have heard that you can develop dairy sensitivity at any time, so it sure sounds like that is the case with you. That's a shame since you enjoy it, but like you said, there are worse things. A co-worker had an allergy to eggs. I would DIE without my eggs, LOL, but she would die with them.

Shannonsnail 08-17-2014 09:48 AM

The moving disaster turned into blessing....God is faithful even when I do not see it. Will post more later.

Wannabehealthy 08-17-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris2008 (Post 5056931)
Using the control solution, my Freestyle was almost exactly in the middle of normal at 94. With the Relion it was 137. Have you guys checked your Relions against other meters? I'm not sure I can stick with this cheaper meter. Think the meter is faulty?

Glad to see everyone is doing well.

On reading your post again, I have a question. Are you saying that you did a control test on the Relion meter and the result was 137? If so, I think something is wrong. My Relion strips say a control test should be between 97 and 121. Sorry if I misunderstood something.