3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/298290-august-diabetes-prediabetes-support-chat.html)

Shannonsnail 08-05-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 (Post 5051609)
Are you blending coconut oil in hot coffee or cold? I drink my coffee with a scoop of hot cocoa and a spoonful of caramel creamer. I've tried stirring in coconut oil in the past but I didn't care for the greasy feeling either. And speaking of cold coffee makes me want a caramel frappe from McD's. I should experiment and make my own.

I didn't check my sugar at all today. Spent half the morning with the kids going over the new chore charts for back to school. Then a few hours shopping for back to school clothes and supplies with my boy. They don't go back until Sept. 2nd but I'm gonna start transitioning them now. I don't like to cold turkey their bedtimes from 10:30-11pm that they are now to before 8pm that they will need for school.

Hot coffee (though I have made it hot then poured it over ice). The trick, I promise, is using a blender to suspend the particles of oil into the liquid. You can use any kind of blender including an immersion hand stick type. Stirring it with a spoon will not break it up and suspend it.

Shannonsnail 08-05-2014 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stopping by early to share a recipe.....french toast! This is made like the OMM but I did pan fry after as the author suggests and I think that does add to the yumminess! Here is a pic of mine and the link.

http://uplateanyway.com/keto/french-toast/

Wannabehealthy 08-05-2014 10:36 AM

I feel really draggy today. I slept pretty good. I don't know what's up. Maybe it's just the humid weather. I wish DH would just leave the air condition on. It's cooler, but the air condition helps with the humidity. He's working in the yard right now. Maybe when he comes in he will be so hot he will turn it back on again. I don't touch it. He's in charge in that department.

Shannon, I guess I was thinking of just stirring it into your coffee. Now I understand about using the blender. I have a generic bullet system and I think I would use that. What kind of coffee/butter do you use? I was reading online about Bulletproof Coffee and they were using some special coffee beans and grass fed unsalted butter. I won't be buying special coffee or butter. I would just use the Maxwell House we use, and I buy regular salted butter, but I could try it with the coconut oil. How much do you use in how much coffee? Also, they said online that that was their breakfast. That's all? I would still want my eggs. I will probably try it but I don't see me doing it on a regular basis. What does it do other than giving you energy?

The french toast looks good.

Zinke, I always drank my coffee black I have recently been using flavored creamers. It all started when I heard about the International Delite Almond Joy creamers and tried them. I liked them and now keep them in the house. They are sold in the coffee aisle and don't need refrigeration. One time I couldn't find them so I bought a bottle of creamer from the dairy case. I really like them! I have tried several different flavors...Girl Scout Cookie flavor, Vanilla Caramel. Because of them I am now drinking too much coffee. I ran out of the bottled kind and am trying not to buy more. I would like to get down to 1 cup of coffee in the morning and that's it, but with the flavored creamers I was up to 6 - 8 cups per day. Waaay to much for me.

EDIT: DH just came in and put the air on. YAY!

pattygirl63 08-05-2014 12:12 PM

Carol Sue You feeling draggy could be the heat, but I bet it is the exercise you did yesterday. I say that because I slept good last night and had to just make myself get up at 9 am. I never sleep past 8 if that long. I think the exercise makes us rest better. I am still draggy today. I didn't do the kettlebell exercise this morning, but I am thinking about doing the recumbent bike later today. It will be another one of those times of forcing myself to do it because I just don't really feel up to it. It was so late when I got up that I didn't have time to do the exercises I do for my back before I get out of bed. I do them in the bed because it is so hard for me to get up and down off the floor to do it. I may do those later today because they do keep my back from hurting so much.

Shannon and Zinkie I use a small amount of the CO in many ways, but I've learned that I like the feel of it on my lips. More like a lipstick feel to me. I know I'm weird. :dizzy: However, I have put it in my morning shakes when I drink them. That's how I learned that I liked the way the oil in the coffee felt. I actually missed it in the shake. I've been going to try blending it in the coffee, but I keep forgetting it. I have gotten hooked on the Coffeemate French Vanilla so I know blending it would really be great.
I had to learn to cut my coffee drinking back down to no more than 3 a day because I was wanting the Fr. Vanilla taste so bad that I was probably drinking up to 5 or 6 c a day when we came back from our trip. Knowing I'm counting the calories really helps me to drink less coffee with the creamer.

Amazing experience again. I just ate what I wanted yesterday and had a lot more carbs than usual. Granted they were Fiber carbs. But I fried chicken legs for DH and me and we had cabbage and pork'n beans for lunch. I finished my dinner off with a serving of ice cream made with Splenda. I didn't eat again until I got really hungry last night around 7ish and I had turkey kalbalsa and 1 corn on the carb. I did drink plenty of water and my green/black tea combo. I wasn't sure what was going to happen when I weighed and tested. I was shocked this morning when my FBS was 124, my bp was down and my weight was down .2. A .2 weight loss isn't bad as that is how I seem to lose. So now I am beginning to wonder if maybe carbs are not my problem. Maybe for me it is the type and amount of carbs that I eat and I just need to learn to eat differently. Maybe the idea of the Prevention Diet plan I read years ago about controlling diabetes is the way for me. It says eating plenty of fiber is the key to controlling diabetes. Maybe that is why the Richard Simmons diet worked for me. I also believe that the counting calories to learn portion control is also key for me.

Carol Sue I found something interesting that you shared about the way of taking Metformin. I've been taking 1000 mg with my main meal at DH and my main meal. I do this because I seem to remember my doctor telling me to take it with my largest meal of the day which that one usually is. However, yesterday, I realized that I forgot to take it until my suppertime. That might be why my fbs was lower this morning. I will be trying it that way for a while to see.

I want to say again thanks to everyone for sharing you experiences. I think it really helps those of us whether we post or lurk. I know I sure learn a lot from y'all and from lurking on other sites and threads.

This is a great group here.

Shannonsnail 08-05-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5051823)
I feel really draggy today. I slept pretty good. I don't know what's up. Maybe it's just the humid weather. I wish DH would just leave the air condition on. It's cooler, but the air condition helps with the humidity. He's working in the yard right now. Maybe when he comes in he will be so hot he will turn it back on again. I don't touch it. He's in charge in that department.

Shannon, I guess I was thinking of just stirring it into your coffee. Now I understand about using the blender. I have a generic bullet system and I think I would use that. What kind of coffee/butter do you use? I was reading online about Bulletproof Coffee and they were using some special coffee beans and grass fed unsalted butter. I won't be buying special coffee or butter. I would just use the Maxwell House we use, and I buy regular salted butter, but I could try it with the coconut oil. How much do you use in how much coffee? Also, they said online that that was their breakfast. That's all? I would still want my eggs. I will probably try it but I don't see me doing it on a regular basis. What does it do other than giving you energy?

The french toast looks good.

Zinke, I always drank my coffee black I have recently been using flavored creamers. It all started when I heard about the International Delite Almond Joy creamers and tried them. I liked them and now keep them in the house. They are sold in the coffee aisle and don't need refrigeration. One time I couldn't find them so I bought a bottle of creamer from the dairy case. I really like them! I have tried several different flavors...Girl Scout Cookie flavor, Vanilla Caramel. Because of them I am now drinking too much coffee. I ran out of the bottled kind and am trying not to buy more. I would like to get down to 1 cup of coffee in the morning and that's it, but with the flavored creamers I was up to 6 - 8 cups per day. Waaay to much for me.

Yay for air conditioning!! It is horribly hot and humid here!

I do not buy special beans, just use my regular favorite, dunkin donuts. I do buy grass fed butter just for my coffee. The benefit is the vitamins, I consider it my multi vitamin, lol! I get it at Costco and they sell 3 large blocks for $7. Each block has 16 tbsp so a block lasts me about 32 days. (So, if 3 blocks lasted 96 days it would be 7 cents a day I think). I only drink one mug of coffee per day (on my coffee maker I fill the water to the line 2.5 which yields a totally full mug and a tiny bit that doesn't fit....that's after adding my heavy whipping cream, butter, coconut oil and sugar sub and blending it to frothy). On days I am very busy, that might be my only breakfast but time permitting I always have my omelet or something else in addition to the coffee. The main benefit to me is feeling fuller throughout the day and giving my body good fats to burn in place of the carbs.

dgramie 08-05-2014 02:34 PM

Fbs was 94 today. Carol sue I drink 1 mug of coffee a day. I am hooked on flavored creamers. Sugar free hazelnut is my favorite right now.

zinkemomx2 08-05-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5051823)
Maybe when he comes in he will be so hot he will turn it back on again. I don't touch it. He's in charge in that department.

Are you in my house? My husband is the exact same way with the air conditioner and the furnace. No one touches them. If you are cold you cover up and if you are hot you go to the basement.

I only drink one cup a day of my coffee. I'll admit sometimes it is a large cup. I have one that is 16oz and one that is 24oz. I'll try the blender trick in the morning.

Ate dinner. Ate ice cream. Went for a short bike ride and a walk. Visited with the neighbor while drinking a wine cooler. Three hours later BS was 124. That sounds good. I think?

dgramie 08-06-2014 10:41 AM

Well school starts here tomorrow so I'm back to babysitting full time. Summer sure flew by. My weigh is down about 10 lbs from the first of June but I was hoping for more.
My squash plants are done for the yr and if we don't get rain tomatoes and peppers will be also. To be honest I think I'm ready for cooler weather. We really have had a mild summer but I'm ready to be outside with the kids for hours. Right now about an hour twice a day is all they can handle.
My oldest grandchild starts kindergarten tomorrow. I sure can't believe she is old enough. They grow up so fast!

Wannabehealthy 08-06-2014 11:01 AM

Zinke, I think the key is that you rode your bike and walked after eating. When I was having the real high bs readings I started walking for 15 min after dinner and that helped tremendously. Exercise is important for controlling blood sugar. I really have to push myself to do it until I get into the habit again.

Trish, I really think it was the humidity because after the air was on I felt so much more energetic. They always say that heat and humidity is bad for the elderly and with my heart disease, I am in that category whether I like it or not. Exercise always increases my energy and drops my appetite.
I don't exercise hard enough to get muscle soreness. LOL

Yesterday my fbs was 130. When I ate breakfast I took 1/2 a glimiperide to help get my bs down just a bit. I had eggs with mushrooms and lentils. I know the mushrooms and lentils are actually carbs, but I consider them veggies and consider things like bread, potatoes, and pasta as carbs. 2 hrs after breakfast my bs was 160. I didn't think it should have been that high so I took the other half of the glimiperide. I wasn't really hungry at lunch time but DH made hot dogs so I ate one with chopped onion and mustard, no bread or bun. I felt pretty good and wanted to eat a small baked potato for dinner with my grilled chicken and veggies so I checked my bs. It was at 67. I was not feeling any symptoms! So I think that the glimiperide does not work as fast for me as I thought, and I probably didn't need that second half pill. My breakfast and lunch are relatively carb free. Because the blood sugar was so low I did eat the baked potato and loved it! I made sure I ate half of the chicken before I ate the potato. At bedtime my bs was 97. I ate a celery stick with cream cheese and this morning I am back up to 130. Even with a low bs, a bedtime snack raises my fbs. I need to put a big sign on my refrigerator "A BEDTIME SNACK WILL RAISE YOUR FASTING BLOOD SUGAR." LOL If I wanted that celery and cream cheese I should have had it with my dinner. I think I buy too much food. I keep thinking I have to eat it all so it won't go bad.

Shannon, how much of everything do you put in your coffee before blending?

Dgramie, I have not tried the Hazelnut creamer yet. My husband has always put cream and sugar in his coffee but he tried the Hazelnut and said it was too sweet. He probably put too much in. I do not buy the sugar free, that's why I try not to have too much of it. Most of the flavors I like don't come sugar free. So far I have had 2 cups, but in my mug, they are more equal to a half cup each.

pattygirl63 08-06-2014 11:10 AM

A quick flyby this morning as I'm really running late. I couldn't sleep last night and didn't go to sleep until sometime after 3 am. DH has a blood test to check blood thinning now that he is back on the warfarin. We will go out to eat and also run some errands. And we start a new study series at Bible study tonight and I don't want to miss any of it.

Either the fiber and/or the taking Metformin in the evening is working. FBS was 124 yesterday and is 123 today. Carol Sue I never thought ob taking the Metformin in the evening. Thanks for the info. My problem is that I don't like the flatulence of the high fiber in my plan. Plus I don't like the stuffed feeling it leaves me with either. I think that is why I couldn't sleep. My belly felt so heavy/bloated. So I just may have to see if I might be able to tweak this. Perhaps the fat in the low carb actually does the same thing that the fiber does. I think maybe just adding beams in my plan would be helpful. This is truly a learning experience.

Had my eggs this morning with bacon and toast. I tried Shannon's frothy coffee. It was good, but I think if I drink it that I will not be eating fiber like my high fiber bread with it in the morning any more. I couldn't understand it when you said some have it by itself as a breakfast by itself, but now I can see how it would. The fat makes you feel full and satisfied. I also think adding it to the fiber makes me groggy, but then I haven't had a lot of sleep either. So I can't judge too much of anything this morning. However, I do think it would help me give up the bread in the morning.

So now I've come to the place to where... how I feel after eating is much more important to me than what I eat. So all is not lost here. Learning, learning, learning. I think moderate fiber may be important for me, but a high fiber is not.

Sorry, this turned out long than I expected. I'm always thinking things out with y'all. I better get going. I'll catch y'all tomorrow. Y'all have a great day.

Wannabehealthy 08-06-2014 11:24 AM

My son and his inlaws are having the vacation from H**L. They rented a huge beautiful beach house in Va Beach. There are 12 people I think. The weather is not cooperating, then this morning he called and said his MIL was having chest pains and was admitted to the local hospital. His FIL spend the night at the hospital with her. She is in her mid 70's and has a heart issue and takes meds for an irregular heart beat. I don't think she has ever had a heart attack or a blocked artery. They are taking turns cooking and are eating a lot of elaborate meals. I'm thinking that maybe she was having indigestion from eating unusual foods, or maybe I'm just hoping. Women don't usually present with chest pains. Mine is always pain in the jaw, and my friend usually has back pain. They are doing a stress test today and hopefully they won't find anything and release her.

Shannonsnail 08-06-2014 10:04 PM

Carol Sue I put heavy whipping cream in (not really sure how much bc I just pour til it hits the bottom of the blade in my vitamix, it's probably several tbsp, coffee is light brown when done), 2.5 packs splenda or 3 packs truvia, 1/2 tbsp grass fed butter, 1 tsp coconut oil and the coffee (2 tbsp grounds added to machine with 2.5 cups water....cups on machine, not measured before putting in).....that is how I like it but it's totally up to you what combo you throw together!

Still packing like crazy!

Wannabehealthy 08-07-2014 11:14 AM

My son's MIL was in the hospital overnight. They did a stress test that showed nothing so they released her. When we talked to Dave yesterday, she was sitting on the deck drinking a glass of wine. They are all drinkers in that group! I guess I was right when I said it was indigestion from all the rich food they are eating. She is normally a healthy eater.

My bs is better and my weight is back down, but not lower than before. I really need a loss to keep up my morale.

Shannon, I mainly wanted to know how much of the coconut oil to add. I will put a tsp in a full cup of coffee and go from there. Thanks! How is your eating plan going through all of this?

Trish, I have tried several times to find out exactly how Metformin works and when it should be taken. Today I read that it slows down the release of glucose from the liver during fasting and helps the absorption of insulin by the cells. It should be accompanied by reduced carb diet and exercise, the amount of carbs to be determined by each individual, depending on their own bs spikes. Taking Metformin and not changing lifestyle is not going to help diabetes. As far as when to take it, it says to take it with meals to avoid unwanted side effects, but it also says it should be taken at the same time every day to keep the levels of med in the body even. That was what I thought. And this is in regards to regular Metformin, not extended release. My 3 meals usually occur within an 8 hour period. If I took my meds with those meals, I would be going 16 hours without meds and my levels would drop greatly during that time. This was why I was taking my pills at breakfast, around 9 or 10 and with dinner, around 4 or 5, and then at bedtime, but when I did that, I got up in the middle of the night throwing up. Good for my diet, but not fun! LOL After adding the glimiperide twice a day, the doctor told me to stop the bedtime Metformin and I have not been sick since. I usually take it with breakfast around 9 or 10 and then later in the evening around 9 or 10. 12 hours apart, even though I am not eating that late. I don't get any side effects taking it this way. If it's true that it keeps your liver from dumping glucose, then taking it later in the evening would cover you overnight and should be lowering your fasting glucose. I still have a higher fasting glucose if I eat in the evening. That's just me. Others do better with a bedtime snack.

I really hate that when you are diagnosed they give you a prescription and tell you to take it, not understanding what it's going to do to you. Most people think that it's going to correct their blood sugar reading and without correcting your diet and exercising, that's not going to happen.

As a note to Shannon, one article I read said that going completely low carb can cause your cells to be excessively sensitive to carbs, and I remember you said that you thought that happened to you after going with low carb. Some mentioned that you should have SOME carb at every meal, and others said it was not necessary. I wonder if they are counting the carbs you get from vegetables? Do they count? Or is it only starchy carbs that count as carbs. Is a carb, a carb? I never take them into consideration. I usually eat some vegetables at every meal, such as chopped veggies in my eggs, but I still consider that and my veggie lunch to be very low carb. I consider my dinner to be more carbs because that is the only time I ever eat starchy carbs, if at all.

I guess if each person takes their Metformin at the time that works best for them then that's the right thing to do. There was also mention that Metformin protects against heart disease, so that is a good reason to continue taking it, even if you are able to control bs with diet and exercise.

As far as the flatulance is concerned, Trish, I found that it deminishes in time if you start out slow and increase gradually. I still eat beans, but not as many as I once was. I am starting to eat some yogurt as a snack and putting Fiber One cereal in it, because from what I saw on my Fitday tracking, the Fiber One cereal has more fiber than beans, cup for cup. I am thinking of making some more Fiber One Haystacks again, but I get tempted to eat them all at once, which defeats the purpose. I know that when you add fiber it ups the total carbs, but we need fiber, and it helps me with constipation. I am still trying to lower my total calories for the day and see if that will jump start my weight loss. I really need that more than anything right now.

Yackety Yak! I got carried away again. Sorry!

Shannonsnail 08-07-2014 11:34 AM

Carol Sue just a word of warning, the first two days adding the coconut oil on top of the grass fed butter resulted in diarrhea but the past two days I haven't had that so I think the body adjusts but just wanted to give a full disclosure, lol!

Eating is good, back on plan since last Fri I think. Scale is moving again. Dr appt for physical is tomorrow morning.

pattygirl63 08-07-2014 09:03 PM

Sorry I haven't been here earlier. I've really been tired today and then I got a call from my sister this morning that she and my BIL had been at the ER for about 4 hrs last night with my Daddy. His bp was too high. They got it down and sent him home and then it was high aga in this morning and he went to his doctor. They are sending him to someone to help decide if any of his meds are causing the problems perhaps working against each other. I also think he is so afraid of having a stroke that he has an anxiety attack and that makes it worse. So I spent a lot of time on phone with her and then with my son when he called.

As I said, I've been really tired. I don't think I'm eating that much, but maybe it is just not the right stuff for me.

I had Shannon'sdrink for breakfast today and it was very satisfying. Since I'm kind of bored with everything I'm eating right now, I could make this a regular breakfast for a while. Good luck with your physical tomorrow. Hope all goes well.

Carol Sue Although I do like beans, they seem kind of heavy for a evening meal for me. However, I use to eat Fiber One mixed with yogurt for breakfast years ago. I don't remember it feeling like a heavy meal so I just might get some and try eating that some in the evening.

Evidently the Metformin at evening meal works for me as my fbs was 124 again today. Seems to be hanging in that area since I changed to taking it at night. My doc has me taking 1000 mg pill. I just might try taking 1/2 of it in the morning and then having the other one at night and see how that works.

I find it interesting what you read about becoming carb sensitive after eating very low carb. I've been thinking a lot about the fact that maybe a little bit of carb (1 serving) might be good at each meal. I also wonder if the veggie carbs count.

Catch y'all tomorrow.