3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/298290-august-diabetes-prediabetes-support-chat.html)

pattygirl63 08-10-2014 10:32 PM

Carol Sue DH takes 500 mg once a day. He couldn’t handle the side effects of more than that. I don't know if I can eat pizza or any other starchy carbs or not since my FBS was 142 this morning. I feel like I'm back to square one sometimes. But I still believe I will eventually get it right.

I didn’t divide my Metformin today. I took it tonight. I’ve eaten a LCHF diet today. I evidently ate more high fat than my body can tolerate. I know that someone said that you will experience a loose bowels for a while, but I had it a little yesterday and a lot tonight. I really don’t want to experience this everyday for any length of time so I’m going to have to cut back on the fat. I realize it takes time to get used to a strict low carb which I really didn’t intend to do today, but it leaves me lethargic and I have no desire to live any length of time that long.

I’ve got to figure out where the grains fit into my diet since I don’t want to eat a lot of grain or fat. I guess I'm still in the process of figuring out how to make this diet work for me.

Shannonsnail 08-10-2014 11:21 PM

Behind in reading but just wanted to pop by to say our closing is in the morning! We are still in packing **** but we did reserve our movers tonight for next Saturday so I guess in less than a week the majority of the stress of moving will be over and we can work on the unpacking (which I plan to do very slowly and only as needed, lol) and putting our house on the market. We have not done that yet because hubby works from home and is totally unable to just leave at a moment's notice plus our house was such a mess from the packing there was really no way to get any good pictures until we vacated so once we are out, I will clean it up, finish painting a room we started in March and only got 3.5 of the walls done in (yes, you read that right!), fix all the holes from pictures, etc., touch up the paint and get it listed ASAP.

Hope everyone has a good week and I'll be back around once the dust settles!

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 08:52 AM

Shannon, things are moving right along! This is exciting to me. I love to look at houses and I like change, so I would be happy moving around a lot. DH's family lived in the same house from when he was 2 years old until his brother finally sold it a couple years ago. When I was growing up we lived in several places, never more that 8 years or so in each place. We have lived in this house for 33 years, and that's the longest for me. Is your new house on Zillow, that we could see it? Don't want to seem to nosey! LOL

Trish, when I list my food on Fitday, it seems that my fat is high, but I don't think I eat a lot of fat. I have to keep in mind that a hamburger patty has a high fat content, and if I saute in butter, that's high fat. I do use a lot of olive oil, too, so I guess the fat is there, but I don't deliberately go looking to eat fat but don't avoid it either. DH makes me so mad. He will not eat beef or pork that has any fat at all, even if it's marbled, which makes the meat more juicy and tender and basically cooks away, but he wants me to buy 80-85% lean ground meat. I prefer to buy the 93% lean. It tastes so much better to me. When I make stuffed cabbage rolls with 85% lean ground beef the sauce has a lot of fat floating on it. Yuk!

Yesterday we ate out and I had a stuffed pork chop and ate all the stuffing! I took my glimiperide, but still at 3 hrs my bs was 192. I think it took a while for the glimiperide to kick in and I was at 140 this morning. This is something I rarely eat, but this restaurant really has good homestyle cooking and it was delicious. DH will eat that out but not if I make it. I think that was the first meal I cooked for him when we started dating. Back then he was trying to impress me and ate whatever I cooked. LOL

I think if you're eating most of your carbs later in the day, then that's when you should take your Met. Just my opinion. Does it seem to work better for you that way? I think they reason we are told to space it out through the day is because they think we should be eating carbs evenly through the day.

Does anyone here watch public television? Our local public station has a program running right now by Joy Bauer, relating to food and health. In the segment about weight loss, she has 4 rules. 1) 2 cups of veggies at both lunch and dinner, 2) 2 cups of water before each meal, 3) no liquid calories such as juice or soda and 4) no carbs at the evening meal. I'm backwards. I usually only eat carbs at dinner, but that's because that's the meal I eat with DH and I always have to make carbs for him. When we eat out, I can choose my own meal and usually don't order carbs, but I was so weak when they had that stuffed pork chop yesterday and could not resist it. Bad girl!

pattygirl63 08-11-2014 11:04 AM

Shannon I thought of you closing on the house today and said a prayer that everything will go smoothly. That done you will be busy for sure, but it will be a more exciting busy. Check 2 things when you put an empty house on the market. Make sure your insurance you have on it is in effect and that it covers any unforeseen loss while no one is living there. You may have to leave some items to make it look lived in. I say this because deceased hubby and I sold a house in the country. The company we were making mortgage payments to did not pay our insurance (they did this to many, may people). When the house caught fire, of course the buyers backed out, but we then found out that in TX (I don't know about all states) that our insurance was had not been paid by mortgage company and that if they had the insurance would not cover an empty house. We had to sue to get anything out of it, but of course it was only a small fraction of what the house was worth. Just a warning of things that can happen.

Carol Sue I don't think I'm going to worry about the fat. I'm not going to add fat to my coffee. I do like using the CO and cooked my eggs in it this morning. After reading about healthier fats etc, I bought 3 avocados. Doing low carb, I like to fry 2 eggs, add whatever meat I want such as bacon or sausage, a slice of cheese and 1/2 avocado. I really don't think that I have to add any more fat.

According to what I understand as I read on the website of the Swedish doctor, he says if you eat low carb faithfully most of the time (sorry can't remember the % he gave) one meal like you had yesterday once in a while really shouldn't be a problem. It shouldn't mess us up. I have always suspected that after reading Dana Carpander's book. Probably spelled her name wrong. I think we just have to get rid of that guilty feeling we get like we do when we are not 100% OP. You weren't a "bad girl", you just chose to have what my DGS calls a "cheat day". I prefer what I read somewhere in some low carb site or book... you chose to have a "Planned Off Plan" meal. Stress makes diabetes worse. I believe that I get sssooo stressed out when I do what I think are "bad" things that maybe sometimes the rise in my fbs may be more from that stress than the fact that I ate off in the first place.

I ended up with one very low carb day. From the breakfast I had this morning and posted on MFP today, I might have had between 20 to 25 carbs yesterday. I'm not going to shoot for Atkins 20. If I can stay between 30 and 50 g a day, I will be happy. But I'm going to calm down and stop stressing about it. Except for the one planned meal with DH around 2 pm, I'm going to be eating only when I am hungry.

I'm still having some bowel reactions to all the fat I had yesterday. However, I'm not sure it is the fat only. I read somewhere that green tea, fat and curcumin are a detox combo. I had all that extra fat yesterday, then I took my curcumin. I seemed to be okay until I had a glass of green/black tea. I have not been able to stay far from potty room since. So no extra fat and absolutely no curcumin or tea for me today. I probably need to drink more water today any way.

Carol Sue Thanks for sharing about the Bauer rules. Interesting.

dgramie I have to be careful with beans too. I love them, but DH does not. I have several favorites like pinto, butter and great white northern. DH who is so picky will only eat the great white northern beans loaded with ham hock or pork 'n beans or baked beans depending on sauce in baked which is usually sweet and not very often on those. I guess that is why he has to take 2 glimiperide pills a day.

Slept in today so running late. I better get busy before my DS calls me this morning. I think he is headed home for a 3 days off so I won't hear from him while he is home.

Catch y'all later. Have a good one.

dgramie 08-11-2014 11:05 AM

Fbs was 85 today. I am wondering if my potassium being dangerously low affected my pancreas. Now that I'm taking a supplement my glucose numbers are all back in the normal range. Hubby and I both ate the same dinner and his fbs was 135. He takes 1000 mg of metphormin twice a day and 3 mg of glyburide twice a day.

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 11:26 AM

You may have hit the nail on the head, Dgramie! Read this:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/hea...diabetes_risk/

What was your A1c when you were diagnosed? Were you diagnosed as pre-diabetic rather than diabetic? It amazes me that doctors would not connect the two issues rather than just saying you have diabetes. Reading this could lead some type2 diabetics to take potassium supplements, which is really unsafe without knowing that you need it. Too high potassium is also bad. When I was in the hospital after my last surgery my doctor said my potassium was low and gave me some in an IV but did not continue it after I went home. It might have just been a temporary effect of the surgery.

What were your symptoms of low potassium?

pattygirl63 08-11-2014 11:26 AM

dgramie I'm sorry I don't know if potassium affects the pancreas or not. I think it might be good to know. I've been thinking about checking some things out about the affect of potassium so I'll have to do that later.

DH just got up and we are going to have to go buy a new microwave as mine went out yesterday. So much for any of my plans today.

I forgot to share earlier that my FBS was 118 this morning and weight down another .4 lb. So my question is why in the heck do I mess with this and fight doing low carb? Is there really anything that I really have to eat that is worth having my bs out of wack? Even my bp is excellent this morning. I need someone to :kickbutt: :?:

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 11:42 AM

Even though I said I was not going to buy any more diet books, I did. At the Goodwill Store I bought The Dukan Diet. It was only $1. They believe in high protein along with vegetables, but low fat. They say the low fat is for heart health, but I feel that my recent lab work indicated that fat intake did not harm my lipid readings, in fact they were lower. I think they improved because of the low carb.

Today in the mail I received a book I ordered online for 1 cent. LOL They charge $3.98 for shipping and that's where they make their money because the actual postage was much lower. It is Eat Fat Get Thin. I will start reading it later. I read these books for informational purposes, then I do additional research online to see what is being said regarding the information they provide. I try to use this information to tweak my own diet even if I'm not following their instructions to the letter. Maybe not following it to the letter is why I don't show good weight loss, but I have a problem doing things I just don't believe in. If I get one good idea from these books that helps me, I am ahead of the game. After my good lab results I don't believe that fat is the problem as far as my heart disease goes, but I cannot eat foods that taste greasy to me, and too much fatty food effects my gerd. But I have to find something to get this fat off my body. NOW! I have even briefly considered weight loss surgery, but DH would never let me do it, and I don't think I manage my eating well enough to do it safely. And if I could manage my eating better, I wouldn't need the surgery.

Trish, I would agree that 90% on plan is good except with my diabetes, every time I eat a meal like yesterday I spike my blood sugar, and every spike causes more irreversible damage. It might be OK for a normal person just looking to lose weight but I feel that I should stay more OP because of the blood sugar. JMO. This is why I get the guilts over it.

Edit: Trish, we were posting at the same time and I agree that we need our butts kicked! LOL That meal was really good, but was it worth the BS spike?

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 11:54 AM

I went back and read that article about potassium. I have some of the symptoms they list for low potassium, but they could be from other things, too. I am having blood work done again in October and will ask my DR how my potassium levels look. I don't eat many bananas or potatoes, which both have potassium. I like avacados but don't buy them a lot because they go bad fast for me before I can finish them. I will have to look up other sources of potassium. I would not take supplements unless I knew I was low.

dgramie 08-11-2014 03:25 PM

My potassium level was 2.6. Should be 3.5-5.0 I didn't have any idea it was low. I did have lots of upper body pain. We got a new matress and it's firm so I blamed it. I also had some chest pain. I also noticed a flutter but assumed it was from caffeine. Now that my levels are up I don't have those issues.
My a1c was 5.9. I was told I was prediabetic. I was watching my carbs super close and my fasting blood sugar was 131.
Dr put me on 20 mg of potassium twice a day. We will recheck it and a1c in oct.

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 05:46 PM

The symptoms the article mentioned are sensitivity to heat and also sweating easily when exercising. I don't have to go too fast to break a sweat, and I am always hotter than everyone else in the room and also can't stand to be outside for long periods of time in the heat and humidity. I guess I am one of those old people that they warn to stay in air conditioning during hot weather, and I am very happy to oblige.

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 06:05 PM

This morning, since my bs was a little high, 140's, I took 1/2 a glimiperide with breakfast. That must have been the perfect dose. I had eggs for breakfast and veggies for lunch and before dinner my bs was 92. I made stuffed peppers for dinner. I used 2 big peppers, one yellow and one red, ground beef equaling 1 hamburger patty for each pepper, about 1/4 cup of brown rice, onion, celery tomato sauce. I had made more brown rice than I needed so I ate the rest by itself, about 1/2 cup or so. I am curious to see how that quantity of brown rice effects my blood sugar. I rarely eat any rice and I am thinking that it will spike my bs, but the only way to know is to eat it and test!

Wannabehealthy 08-11-2014 07:31 PM

Ok, 3 hours after and my bs is 156. This is with no other meds than what I took this morning. Not a really bad spike. Pizza puts me well over 200. But I don't think I will be eating excessive amounts of brown rice. I took the other half of the glimiperide to bring it down by bedtime. I think if I had only eaten the brown rice that I put in the stuffed peppers I would have been fine. In the future I just have to learn how to judge how much to make.

dgramie 08-12-2014 06:45 AM

Carol sue I use to never sweat but sweat like a pig now. Wonder if my potassium is low. It was 3.1 at the last check. I'm talking to my dr about changing my blood pressure med. hoping to get off potassium.
Fbs was 91 today.

Wannabehealthy 08-12-2014 10:09 AM

I finished the book Eat Fat Get Thin. A lot of it in the end was just menus and recipes. It was basically the same plan I am following now...protein and veggies. It does not promote high fat, but says not to do low fat either. That's what I do. I eat fat, but don't go out of my way to add extra fats. It is supposed to make you lose, but I think because I have trouble keeping the carbs out, here and there, I am not losing, plus my metabolism is so low. It explained a lot about how the body works and the effect of protein, fat and carbs. That was interesting to read, but I am not putting this on the "must read" list. We've heard it all before.

Dgramie, as much as we hate sweating, it is really good for you, unless it is really excessive. It controls the body core temperature and removes toxins. I think it comes with post-menopause, but can also be caused by other things such as meds. A friend of our has a medical condition that he doesn't sweat and it's considered life threatening and he has to be careful, and take meds for it. Is it your blood pressure meds that make your potassium go low? Some people take diuretics for blood pressure and when I was on them I had to take potassium pills. The doc didn't test my potassium, but just told me if I took the Lasix I had to take the potassium. I have been on the same blood pressure pills for years. They are ones that are also supposed to protect my heart due to my heart disease. I was put on so many different ones in the beginning and had side effects from all of them until they put me on these. I would like to lose enough weight that I don't have to take them. Same old story.