3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/298290-august-diabetes-prediabetes-support-chat.html)

pattygirl63 08-01-2014 09:24 AM

August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat

Welcome to the August Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat. Let's continue chatting and supporting each other.

Wannabehealthy 08-01-2014 09:54 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread, Trish. It's so hard to believe it's August already. For me, that always means summer is ending, even though by the calendar there's still another 6 weeks. The flowers all start dying off. It's still hot and humid and will be for a while, but once Labor Day comes it's time to put away the shorts and get out the sweaters.

I'm doing somewhat better, but I had ice cream last night and now I don't want to talk about my FBS. It will go back down. I'll have to get DH to finish off the ice cream!

My grandson is here for the day. He will be 6 tomorrow and they are leaving for Virginia Beach. So far he has had a brownie and 2 donuts. I don't approve of all the sweets, but mom allows him and pap pap allows him so I get voted down. I had my scrambled eggs with mushrooms, lentils and kale. That's MY yummy! I will probably eat some left over pot roast for lunch with veggies and will go out for baked fish for dinner. DH will have pizza. That's what I like about eating out. We can each order what we like.

Liliann, not everyone can stick to low carb. Most get constipation. I combat it by eating fiber. Lots of vegetables, and beans. Luckily I love beans. They have a high carb count, but the fiber offsets that. I cannot eat bread, even if it's whole grain. I guess I could do it if I ate 1 slice, but it is a trigger food for me and I tend to binge on it. So I stay away from it. I need to start drinking more water, too.

Hi Billie, I'm glad you decided to post. I think exercise and weight loss will be best for you because your FBS and A1c are still pretty low. The best way to test when you're starting out it to test 2-3 hours after a meal. I think the ADA says you should not go over 180 post-prandial but others say not to go over 140. That's not going to happen for me, but some can sustain it. If you go too high, make note of what you ate and you will know that that's a food you should avoid, or eat in moderation. My biggest problem is bread and bread products, baked goods, pizza crust, etc. Another bad one is obviously ice cream as I found out last night!

Are you on medication for your thyroid? That should help with weight loss. I don't know much about PCOS but I do post a little on the PCOS thread when people have questions about Metformin.

If you have any questions, ask away. One of us will have an answer or be able to point you in the right direction. We have learned that different foods effect people differently and you just have to test to find your problem foods.

pattygirl63 08-01-2014 10:01 AM

Well here it is August and I'm actually starting the month with a .2 gain from the beginning of last month. :(

My veggie soup which was probably thickened with carbs and the corn muffin was a bad idea. I should have stayed with the fish and 2 veggies. Went from yesterday's fbs of 128 to 162 this morning. Grrrr :mad: The only good thing is that my weight was down .4 from yesterday. I changed my ticker to today's WI.

Well, back to my regular plan today. Since I've had the cornbread muffin with no porblem before then I think it probably was the veggie soup. It was very thick and the veggies seemed to be only corn, peas and green limas. Come to think of it, that is a lot of carby veggie grains. I never eat corn and cornbread together. I just know not to order their veggie soup any more. I would have been better off with the baked potato. From now own, I will know to stay with the meat and 2 veggie dinner when I go there. Another lesson learned.

I'm back OP this morning headed for a normal low carb day. I'm having my coffee and Atkins shake with blueberries and 1/2 banana which has become a regular morning breakfast which I alternate between strawberries and blueberries. Would love to use blackberries but the seeds get under my bridge. Any way I've gotten use to them.

I've been eating the Atkins dinners to learn more about how to cook low carb meals and for quick meals. They do have so much more fat that I really like to use so I'm thinking of begin to make some of my own. It will get me moving more that is for sure. I like the idea of beans like the pinto beans mixed in with my food. So I'm thinking of taking some ground meat or chunks of chicken etc and mix them into some sort of bean mixture. It isn't uncommon for me to mix all my foods into a bowl like a casserole. DH teases me about the fact that I will mix anything and eat it. Unlike my picky hubby who doesn't like foods to touch, I figure it is all going the same place. I love crock pot cooking. I figure I can make enough to last a few days. I'm not giving up. I figure was a lesson day and today I just move on. I do know that I can eat corn, peas and limas. However, I also know that I can NOT eat them all at one time in one meal. I think I would have been fine if I had not eaten the soup. A good thing that happened at that meal is that I did not eat any of the croutons. I pushed them aside and I was not tempted to eat the crackers. Croutons and crackers used to be 2 favorite parts of a salad meal for me. So while there was some bad, there also was some progress seen. I am learning and that is part of learning to get control of diabetes.

Sorry this is so long. Just sharing what I'm going through since we are all going through, I hope it helps each of us to grow when we see what we are all experiencing. I learn from y'all what mistakes not to make and also I learn some things to try. This is the important part of our chat thread for me. So please continue to share.

Billie Again WELCOME to our thread. Please feel free to jump in and share what you are learning etc. That is how we all learn.

Shannon Does this mean that the sellers agreed to fix the problems but are just getting estimates? Sure hope things go in your favor. I know time is just ticking by, but probably when things work out things will be moving fast and before you know it you will be in your new home. Praying for God to do a quick work there for y'all.

Lillian You are really doing good and you are learning what does and doesn't work for you. That is what we have to do.

Carol Sue Hope things are going better for you today.

Rennie, Donna, Moonkissed, dgramie and others :wave:

Have a great day!!!

lotsakids 08-01-2014 11:32 AM

Happy August, looking forward to the last day of VBS! This has been a crazy busy week and is perfect ending to a crazy busy last month. August looks a little less hectic well at least it will after tomorrow. My girls are singing at a festival tomorrow which means packing up early (including a stand up bass) and driving for an hour and a half. I think I'll bring food with us as it will be an all day affair and I know that the choices are going to be limited to hot dogs and chips and soda. Not exactly D friendly food.

177.8 today. All that dancing around at VBS is paying off :)

Liliann 08-01-2014 11:57 AM

Trsih...Good luck today with low carb food choices...sorry about the gain..just keep at it and that pesky gain will be gone once you know it.

Billie...Welcome!

Donna...Bravo on your weight loss...Nice pic of you and your hard work is paying off...Congrats!!

Carol Sue...Glad that you are feeling better...I like red kidney beans, canned, that is I sometimes eat..to get that extra fiber..I am more of a fruit eater than veggies...I guess low carb plans is not for me...and also not a cook. I had learned eating high fiber when I was doing weight watchers points years ago..and my mindset is high fiber...

My morning FBS is 114...I walked 80 minutes this morning..and am done for walking today...Need to get more lancets next week to continue checking my sugar.

Thursday night had talked with my male friend, his aunt dealing with this disease and had to remove 1 leg from his aunt..So sad..This is my more determined to avoid sugar laden foods..and plenty of exercise. I had stopped using raw sugar in my iced coffee. and went shopping ,food and brought sugar free jam with fiber...high fiber buns and breads...

Ladies have a good one and keep plugging along on making wise food choices. My home scale is kind to me...high and lows...Be well all.

Shannonsnail 08-01-2014 06:10 PM

They have not agreed to anything yet, I guess they are just questioning our quotes. Hopefully by Monday we'll know for sure....closing is a week from Monday.

So, it looks like I'm going to be in 'All You' magazine.

Liliann 08-01-2014 06:15 PM

Shannon...Wishing you much good things of your moving this month..Hoping everything goes well for you and family.

My food choices was an great high fiber day!! plus 5 12 oz..of water in!! Could be more rest of the night. I am hoping my fbs number in the morning agrees...with my high fiber food choices ..

The upcoming week I might do and push myself to do exercise in the evenings..Maybe dancing...I see how the new week goes..July was a very stressfull month...so am hoping August will shine on for me to dance.

Enjoy your evening all....and have a great weekend..Checking in later..

Liliann 08-02-2014 07:07 AM

Friday morning FBS..114
Saturday Morning FBS...106

Wannabehealthy 08-02-2014 08:48 AM

Liliann, you are doing wonderful with your FBS! Keep on doing whatever you're doing!

Shannon, so you're not going to be in Health magazine? I will have to google "All You" and see what's up with that.

The sellers are dragging their feet, probably hoping you will cave on wanting the repairs done. An 8 year old house should not need any repairs IMO.

I finally faced the scale this morning. Back up to 197. Up, down, up, down. I just want down, down. LOL I'll deal with it.

pattygirl63 08-02-2014 09:32 AM

Quick flyby this morning. Getting to run out the door. Regular Saturday go to beauty, store and get pizza. Haven't decided if I'm eating the pizza. I can usually get by with it but I'm trying to stay on track.

Carol Sue I know how you feel with the up down, up down. Seems like I take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back or whatever. Never seem to really get ahead. Weight is at 223.4 this morning is exactly where I was on July 1st. Strange how I followed no plan on vacation and was down to 219 when I came home and now I'm on this roller coaster again. Maybe dieting per se doesn't work at least not for me. I just don't know and don't understand this stuff. FBS was down 10 pts from yesterday to 152 so I guess that is progress, it is just that I was staying below 120s for a while there and now I'm back to this fighting it again. But I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP. I know I've don't it before so I know I CAN DO IT AGAIN!!! We will do it Carol Sue. Hang in there.

Lilliann You are doing great.

Shannon So sorry about those peoples attitude. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

You girls have a good day. I'll try to get back later.

I just had to post to keep me keeping on. I know when we have a tendency not to post is when we have a tendency to get into trouble. I know I do.

Liliann 08-02-2014 10:43 AM

Do you think its our age that the weight level goes up and down? I also dealing with weight cycling...under 400 and back..and I check my home scale each morning. I am 47 y/o..Maybe its tougher as we aged.It was so much easier in the past..do not know now...but hanging in there.

Trish and Carol Sue....I am with you on the scale...We all are winners anyway for not giving up this battle.Some how,some way...we will make it happen. Let's not give up hope!! Stay strong ladies...:hug:

Have a better food choices day...Weekends are tough and loose my fiber count..My sister always order take out foods and I always give in..either pizza or chinese ..I do good during the week..but weekends is a different story. What I had learned from weight watchers is making half my day whole grains...

Stay strong ladies..

pattygirl63 08-02-2014 02:03 PM

Lilliann Yes, I do believe that our age does have something to do with the way we struggle. I've heard that our metabolism slows down. I've also heard that fiber is the key to slowing down insulin release. I just have a problem with all the gas from it. But I think I'm going to rethink that.

I've about decided to just count calories. I've been kind of doing that any way. I know I'm not going to give up some carby foods. I've gone to MFP and let the site figure my daily calories count to lose 1 lb a week. I can't afford to buy the Atkins dinners because they are almost $4 a piece and not all of them are all that good. I do like some of the WW Smart Ones and did purchase a few of them at 2 for $4. But I am thinking about eating more greens, beans and a few grains. Old fashioned way of eating that I've seen people in my family and my deceased hubbies family eat who lived to be into their 80s and 90s. I think I could learn some things from them. They had no high bp, no high bs and were basically healthy. In their 80s they could do a heck of a lot more than I can at 70. At any rate, I'm going to get this fbs under control.

Lilliann Thanks for the pep talk.:hug:

zinkemomx2 08-02-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5049833)
Hi Billie, I'm glad you decided to post. I think exercise and weight loss will be best for you because your FBS and A1c are still pretty low.
Are you on medication for your thyroid? That should help with weight loss.

FBS was 113. That's better than the last few mornings. It was 140 a few hours after dinner. I just checked it again a few hours after dessert and it was down to 129. I have major mental blocks with taking the metformin. I know plenty of reasons why I should but the stubborn part of me seems to think I don't need it. This last A1C is hopefully the wake up I needed though. Doc only has me on 500 x2/day but I have a tendency to take all 1000mg at once. Only a day or two of side effects and then I'm okay. Now to remember to take them consistently.

I've been on Levothroid for over 9 years. That has never helped with the weight that I've noticed in the past. I should go look over my weights from the past 10 years and see if there was any correlation between my weight and needing an increased dose though. That might actually explain some weight gain over the years.

I've been larger ever since I hit puberty and have fought off and on for the last 20 years. The lightest I can remember being as an adult is down to 228 and that is when I got pregnant. I was almost there one other time after the twins were born but it didn't last long before I gained everything back plus some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannonsnail (Post 5050132)
They have not agreed to anything yet, I guess they are just questioning our quotes. Hopefully by Monday we'll know for sure....closing is a week from Monday.

So, it looks like I'm going to be in 'All You' magazine.

Hopefully your sellers fix what needs fixing. We moved into a rental 5 years ago. After living it in for almost three years the owner decided to put up a for sale sign. Never even asked us if we were interested in purchasing. We hemmed and hawed for a few months and decided that we didn't want to move and put in an offer. It took us 3 months before we closed. She ended up doing a short sale and she had to have the porch leveled before closing. One corner had sunk almost 5 inches in 11 years. It was so frustrating waiting on everyone else to get their stuff done all while not knowing if we were gonna have to move because I our lease was coming up also.

I was in 'All You' a few years back. Just a little snippet on how to make your school year bedtimes smoother. I look forward to reading about whatever helpful advice you have.

Liliann 08-03-2014 07:26 AM

Hello all...

Today FBS...116... I have decided to check my sugar and weight every month..I am sick and tired of these high and low stats..So Sept 1st..I will check in both.

Have a good Sunday ladies...Be well.

dgramie 08-03-2014 08:18 AM

Fbs is 94 today and yesterday. I am pleased with it being and staying in the normal range. Hubby's fbs is running under 100 all the time.
I worked a clothes giveaway at church yesterday. It was a lot of work but rewarding. We served about 100 families.

Wannabehealthy 08-03-2014 08:38 AM

Good morning girls. There's one more Klondike bar in the freezer and I'm going to have to get DH to eat it. LOL I have to get back to low carb. I support any of you who can fit carbs into your diet and still lose weight and manage BS, but I can't. I have been taking my glimiperide every day and that was not my plan. It was supposed to be my support if I screw up, but I have convinced myself that I can eat that carbs because the glimiperide will bring my sugar down. Glimiperide is known to cause weight gain, and that's the last thing I need with all my medical problems. I need to get down to business and get rid of this belly!

Billie, if you can get your blood sugar down without Metformin, go for it. The 500 mg is meant to be taken twice a day, 12 hours apart, to keep your level of meds steady throughout the 24 hr period. But if it works better for you to take the 1000mg at one time then do it. I did talk to someone who was on Metformin but took all of hers at bedtime because her blood sugar was steady throughout the day but spiked in the morning. The Metformin at bedtime lowered her FBG. My DR had be taking 850mg 3X a day, but when I took it at bedtime I got up in the middle of the night nauseated and throwing up, so he cut me back to 2 X day. It never entered my mind to take 2 of them with dinner instead of waiting until bedtime. That might have worked better. Might try that. My rx is still for 3 X day.

Liliann, it seems that your blood sugars have been running pretty steady, so it's really not necessary to test so much. It isn't going to change anything, just tell you if you're doing well, and you are. That's why insurance doesn't usually approve many strips for non-insulin diabetics. A person on insulin needs to test regularly to know how much insulin to inject. And it's the same with weighing. For some people, weighing make them accountable, but for those who just get stressed out by the numbers on the scale, it's more of a hindrance than a help. Do what works best for you.

Trish, maybe you can just get the Atkins chili since you liked it so much and keep it on hand for when you don't have time to prepare a meal for yourself. I have never been one to eat frozen entrees. They are convenient and are good for portion control, but it is usually healthier and cheaper to prepare your own food. Some people make their own frozen entrees with leftovers. Sometimes I cook extra so I have leftovers for later meals, like chicken, meatloaf and roast. DH won't eat leftovers unless it's lasagne or stuffed cabbage rolls. And usually he will eat them for lunch the next day, but not for dinner. He wants all his food cooked fresh. I forgot to put that on my list of requirements when I was looking for a husband. LOL

Donna, good job on your weight loss! Keeping busy and active is the key, and it sounds like your family does a good job of that! Hope the singing at the festival went well. Keeping the kids busy with activities keeps them from being bored and out of trouble. You're a good mom!

Shannon, what are we hearing about the house?

How's it going Dgramie?

:wave: Waving to Bonnie, Ruthie, Mad, Rennie and all others who are MIA.

Liliann 08-03-2014 08:40 AM

Dgramie...:cheer: of your FBS !! Keep it up...Great job!!

Liliann 08-03-2014 08:46 AM

Carol Sue..Thank you for the kind words..

Thank you all on sharing your struggles and allowing me to vent on somedays..I am new to the pre-diabetes thing and what is a learning journey..again..Thanks ladies..

Have a good one..:)

Shannonsnail 08-03-2014 05:45 PM

Finally heard from sellers, they agreed to the repairs we requested. They are using folks from their church to do the work....hope it is done well. So, now I can breathe. First time since this started that I feel like the path is now clear and I am not waiting to hear "we aren't moving".

I have no idea why All You is running the story instead of HEALTH. Maybe the writer who interviewed me is freelance and HEALTH didn't want the story but All You did? No idea! I will let you know when I have more details on it.

Today is day 2 of being back on plan. Hoping the headaches stop soon. I was really carbing it up I guess. I was sort of thinking of just putting diet on hold til after the move but I was feeling awful. My change in eating must have been helping my heartburn/reflux more than I realized because I was having horrible issues with it the last week and had started adding tums to my prilosec regimen again. My stomach was bloated again and I have been feeling more angry and depressed than I had been. So, forget waiting til after moving, getting back on plan now and hoping for the best through the next two crazy weeks.

This coming week I have Olivia in a half day camp so I can get more packing done and some dr appts. My blood draw was Friday and I will get the results this coming Friday. Also having a dentist appt which might lead to some work. I've been having some sensitivity and one of my root canals might need a new crown due to some issue with the margins. Hubby is also gone for work two days this week so I need to get the rest of my sewing stuff in his office area packed. Busy, busy. Someday I will be back to personals, I promise!

love2b150 08-03-2014 07:14 PM

Hello ALL ...

I was doing well saw some double digit FBS reading and then forgot my evening dose of Met after eating cake, ice cream and other junk and woke up to 147 this morning, smh. When will I learn

Sorry I haven't read the July thread or this one to catch up so I hope you are all doing well :hug:

pattygirl63 08-03-2014 08:14 PM

Just a quick flyby to let y'all know I'm having problems trying to keep my battery charged on my pc. :?: Just wanted to let you know in case I'm not here for a few days. Not sure why my connection isn't working. It won't stay connected. :?:

Shannon I'm so thrilled that things are starting to work out for you.

Y'all have a great evening and I'll try to get back to y'all tomorrow.

dgramie 08-04-2014 07:19 AM

Fbs was 103 this morning. I ate a bit more yesterday. Back at it hard today.

Wannabehealthy 08-04-2014 08:38 AM

Good morning girls. I think I figured out what's wrong with my hands. I think it's tendonitis from the way I hold my paperback books when I read. I am always in the middle of reading a book. One right after the other. I noticed this morning as soon as I picked up my book and started reading, the pain started to shoot, and if I changed position it stopped. I am prone to tendonitis, in my shoulder from my previous job, the way I had my desk set up, and when I did data entry it was in my thumb...what I called "space-bar thumb." I may need to go back to reading on my e-reader for a while. My friend gave me a box and 2 shopping bags full of paperback books and I figured I should read them instead of going with the e-books, but it might be necessary.

My blood sugar is slowly coming back down from my big screw up. 130 this morning. I wish that was my weight! LOL Haven't checked that lately.

Hi Rennie, good to see you. How is the job going? I wouldn't worry about 1 slip up as long as you don't let it turn into a habit, like I did. It will go back down. You're doing great!

Dgramie
, 103 is still good in my book after all the really bad readings I've had.

Trish, hope you get your computer working. That's really annoying.

Shannon, I'm glad things are working out with the house. Soon it will all be over. When my BIL and SIL sold their house, they had already moved out of state and the sale etc was all being done without them here. It was a 100+ year old house. The inspection showed that they needed to put a bannister on the rickety steps going down to the dungeon of a basement, and also going down the front steps leading to the street. It's a busy street and the front entrance is never used. They had told the realtor to have the repairs made and bill them. We went over afterward and all they did was attach a 2X4 and call it a bannister. I can just imagine what they were charged for that. Now, the new owner has let the front steps become completely overgrown....you can't even see the house or steps from the street. It's a mess. My BIL and SIL never used the front steps, but they kept the front hill trimmed and the steps cleared. I can just imagine how many critters they have living in that mess. I'm surprised the boro hasn't cited them for it.

I will be waiting to hear the results of your blood draw. Hope it's good news!

pattygirl63 08-04-2014 09:56 AM

Well, the battery is fully charged and working so not sure what was going on with it. I just prayed for it to start working because I can't buy a new computer right now. So I'm just thankful it is working.

I'm just counting calories trying to eat as healthy as possible. Going to try to put more fiber foods into my diet. I read once in a Prevention book on diabetes years ago that you could eat just about anything you wanted to as long as you had fiber with it. The theory was that the right amount of fiber slows things down and the sugar works more efficiently. Of course, that doesn't mean go wild/crazy, I'm sure. This morning I got up and decided to eat my oatmeal with blueberries and 1/2 banana and yogurt. I didn't realize that I had the quick oats as I've always bought the old fashioned. Any way, I actually enjoyed it.

So that is what I'm going to eat this way counting the calories so that I don't go wild and see how that goes.

FBS was 139 this morning and weight was up .4 but that isn't unusual for me to bounce. So the bs is slowly coming down. And today, I get back to my exercising too. Which I better go do before I talk myself out of it.

Have a good day.

Shannonsnail 08-04-2014 09:57 AM

Good morning ladies! I'm getting ready to put on my super cape and morph into my alter ego 'Super Packer' but thought I'd say hello! Next week we will be sleeping in our current house but spending alot of time at the new house (me and Olivia) cleaning, moving boxes from the storage unit to the garage, etc. so I feel like it's my last week here in this house. Very excited!!

Today is day 3 of getting back on plan and I think the headaches have stopped. For the entire month of July I really didn't lose anything since I was gaining towards the end, hoping to meet my July goal of 173 in August now. I'm at 179.2 today. I have not checked my FBS lately. I think I last checked a week ago and it was ok. Sometime this week I will recheck. I was on a playdate last week and a friend passed her refined coconut oil to me. She likes the unrefined better and I had mentioned my bulletproof coffee to her and said I needed to try the refined oil in it. So, today I added a tsp of it to my coffee and I couldn't even taste it so if you don't like coconut flavor the refined is the way to go. Some folks say when they add the coconut oil to their coffee they get mental clarity so we'll see. I'm going to try it this week and see if it's any different from my regular coffee with the grassfed butter. I've been drinking that for a couple months now I think so I should be able to tell if I feel any different. I'm still having some heartburn from being off plan for the last couple weeks but I can tell it is getting better already just after 48 hrs.

Ok, off to change our sheets and get to packing!

Wannabehealthy 08-04-2014 10:51 AM

Shannon, it's not the taste of the coconut oil but the greasiness that bothers me. I think I would like it better if it tasted like coconut! LOL I don't feel that it actually has a taste. I just checked mine and it is refined. Today I finished up with my bottle of coffee creamer and am supposed to be cutting way back on coffee, but I will try it with coconut oil one time, because I don't believe in saying I don't like something without trying it. I'm just not enthused about this!! LOL

Keep on packing!

My son and his family are vacationing in Virginia Beach right now and they're having nothing but storms. Hope they get some sunshine before the week is over. That's such a bummer. They have nothing else to do but stay in the house and heat and drink! LOL

Trish, glad your computer is working. Mine was doing something weird last week but it seems ok today. I figured it was something I picked up.

pattygirl63 08-04-2014 11:04 AM

Didn't mean to fly out of here without doing indies, but I was getting that mood where you want to talk yourself out of exercising etc. So I did one circiut of the kettlebell dvd. I can't believe what one week of not doing it has made me bad. I was huffing and puffing, but I made it. I decided to do 25 minutes on my recumbent bike today as well. That added to my 10 exercises for my back before I get out of bed makes a total of 55 minut I've got done today. I still have lots of house work to do today. Not sure how many days a week I will do this. I'm just going to take it One Day at a Time. It really helps to see the exercise calories earned on the MFP. I've lost weight before just counting calories and exercising so I'll see if it will work that way for me this time too.

Shannon Funny thing is that I've been playing with putting the CO in morning foods and coffee meaning I alternate it... one day in coffee and one day in food. I never thought about it, but this morning I had it in my coffee because I forgot to put it in the oatmeal like I would have normally done. I was amazed at how alert I felt afterwards. I thought it was the oatmeal because I haven't had it since winter, but perhaps it was the coffee or even the combination. I will have watch that more.

Lilliann You are doing so well. If I could get my FBS to get below 120s and stay there, I would be very happy and so would my doctor. So just keep doing what you are doing. The exercise you are doing is probably helping it loads. It dawned on me this morning that when I got my fbs back down to normal and kept my weight down for a period of time although weight was not at goal, I was not only dieting (I was using Richard Simmons Deal a Meal diet) but I was exercising 45 minutes a day besides all the other activities I had going on carpooling daughter and her kids around. So I really think you are on track. Sad thing is that I lost the RS Deal a Meal cards in a move and have never been able to get back on his diet since then. I think the fiber is helping you as well. KOKO :)

Carol Sue Sorry about the tendonitis.:hug: Hope it gets better soon. I don't think I want to eat tv dinners too much as they do have loads of salt. I think all of this has just been a process for me to get settled back into my way of eating. I am going to do this Intuitively however, I am also going to do it with calorie counting. I know many on IE would disagree that I am doing IE if I count calories, but obviously they aren't 70 almost 71 dealing with diabetes. I have no other health problems but the weight and the diabetes and I have to do this the way it works for me. Knowing your health situation, I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.

DH is suddenly tired of his snacks and really missing his sweets so I've got to start finding healthy foods that I could make for him so he can have them. I told him yesterday that we are going to have to start adding beans to our plan as it will help with the bs. He won't always go along with me on some food choices, but if it will help lower our bs, he is more likely to listen. So I'm thankful for that and will take what co-operation from him that I can get.

Rennie Good to see you here. I know you are busy with the new job and how it is to adjust to everything. So just keep in touch when you can to let us know how you are doing.:hug:

dgramie You are doing great. Happy for you. :)

Donna, Moonkissed and others :wave:

Shannonsnail 08-04-2014 01:02 PM

Carol Sue we may have already discussed this but did you blend it well? I honestly felt it was no different with the oil than with just the better. It isn't greasy at all to me. It froths up in the blender and has a frothy feel but not oily. But, that being said, each person is unique so it may feel completely different to you.

Wannabehealthy 08-04-2014 07:19 PM

Shannon, I have never tried the coconut oil in my coffee. I just don't like it when I use it for sauteing. That's when it seems too greasy for me, and that's what makes me feel that it would be too greasy in coffee. I do need to try it one of these days. I can always dump it out if I don't like it. No one is going to force me to drink it, are they? LOL

Trish, I finally got back to exercising today. It was a snap decision. It was almost time for my soaps to start and that's when I always used to exercise. At the last minute I grabbed my water bottle and went downstairs. I did 15 min on the treadmill, 15 min on the elliptical, then went back to the treadmill for a 5 min cool down. I really had to push myself to get that 15 min on the elliptical. I just didn't want to do it, and I just watched that timer as every minute went by. I used to exercise every day while watching my soaps. I made a rule for myself that I could not watch them unless I was exercising. That rule went by the wayside when I had my surgery and I never got back to it. I would like to get back to that rule again. I rarely just sit and watch them. Usually I am cooking or cleaning and going in and out of the room while watching.

My son and all his in-laws went to Virginia Beach for the week and I just looked at the weather forecast and it says storms all week. It will get sunny on Sat, but that's when they are coming home. I feel bad for the kids. The adults are there to eat and drink so they don't care, but the kids want to play on the beach. We bought my grandson a bunch of beach toys and he isn't going to get to enjoy them. I feel bad.

zinkemomx2 08-04-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannonsnail (Post 5051328)
Carol Sue we may have already discussed this but did you blend it well? I honestly felt it was no different with the oil than with just the better. It isn't greasy at all to me. It froths up in the blender and has a frothy feel but not oily. But, that being said, each person is unique so it may feel completely different to you.

Are you blending coconut oil in hot coffee or cold? I drink my coffee with a scoop of hot cocoa and a spoonful of caramel creamer. I've tried stirring in coconut oil in the past but I didn't care for the greasy feeling either. And speaking of cold coffee makes me want a caramel frappe from McD's. I should experiment and make my own.

I didn't check my sugar at all today. Spent half the morning with the kids going over the new chore charts for back to school. Then a few hours shopping for back to school clothes and supplies with my boy. They don't go back until Sept. 2nd but I'm gonna start transitioning them now. I don't like to cold turkey their bedtimes from 10:30-11pm that they are now to before 8pm that they will need for school.

Shannonsnail 08-05-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 (Post 5051609)
Are you blending coconut oil in hot coffee or cold? I drink my coffee with a scoop of hot cocoa and a spoonful of caramel creamer. I've tried stirring in coconut oil in the past but I didn't care for the greasy feeling either. And speaking of cold coffee makes me want a caramel frappe from McD's. I should experiment and make my own.

I didn't check my sugar at all today. Spent half the morning with the kids going over the new chore charts for back to school. Then a few hours shopping for back to school clothes and supplies with my boy. They don't go back until Sept. 2nd but I'm gonna start transitioning them now. I don't like to cold turkey their bedtimes from 10:30-11pm that they are now to before 8pm that they will need for school.

Hot coffee (though I have made it hot then poured it over ice). The trick, I promise, is using a blender to suspend the particles of oil into the liquid. You can use any kind of blender including an immersion hand stick type. Stirring it with a spoon will not break it up and suspend it.

Shannonsnail 08-05-2014 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stopping by early to share a recipe.....french toast! This is made like the OMM but I did pan fry after as the author suggests and I think that does add to the yumminess! Here is a pic of mine and the link.

http://uplateanyway.com/keto/french-toast/

Wannabehealthy 08-05-2014 10:36 AM

I feel really draggy today. I slept pretty good. I don't know what's up. Maybe it's just the humid weather. I wish DH would just leave the air condition on. It's cooler, but the air condition helps with the humidity. He's working in the yard right now. Maybe when he comes in he will be so hot he will turn it back on again. I don't touch it. He's in charge in that department.

Shannon, I guess I was thinking of just stirring it into your coffee. Now I understand about using the blender. I have a generic bullet system and I think I would use that. What kind of coffee/butter do you use? I was reading online about Bulletproof Coffee and they were using some special coffee beans and grass fed unsalted butter. I won't be buying special coffee or butter. I would just use the Maxwell House we use, and I buy regular salted butter, but I could try it with the coconut oil. How much do you use in how much coffee? Also, they said online that that was their breakfast. That's all? I would still want my eggs. I will probably try it but I don't see me doing it on a regular basis. What does it do other than giving you energy?

The french toast looks good.

Zinke, I always drank my coffee black I have recently been using flavored creamers. It all started when I heard about the International Delite Almond Joy creamers and tried them. I liked them and now keep them in the house. They are sold in the coffee aisle and don't need refrigeration. One time I couldn't find them so I bought a bottle of creamer from the dairy case. I really like them! I have tried several different flavors...Girl Scout Cookie flavor, Vanilla Caramel. Because of them I am now drinking too much coffee. I ran out of the bottled kind and am trying not to buy more. I would like to get down to 1 cup of coffee in the morning and that's it, but with the flavored creamers I was up to 6 - 8 cups per day. Waaay to much for me.

EDIT: DH just came in and put the air on. YAY!

pattygirl63 08-05-2014 12:12 PM

Carol Sue You feeling draggy could be the heat, but I bet it is the exercise you did yesterday. I say that because I slept good last night and had to just make myself get up at 9 am. I never sleep past 8 if that long. I think the exercise makes us rest better. I am still draggy today. I didn't do the kettlebell exercise this morning, but I am thinking about doing the recumbent bike later today. It will be another one of those times of forcing myself to do it because I just don't really feel up to it. It was so late when I got up that I didn't have time to do the exercises I do for my back before I get out of bed. I do them in the bed because it is so hard for me to get up and down off the floor to do it. I may do those later today because they do keep my back from hurting so much.

Shannon and Zinkie I use a small amount of the CO in many ways, but I've learned that I like the feel of it on my lips. More like a lipstick feel to me. I know I'm weird. :dizzy: However, I have put it in my morning shakes when I drink them. That's how I learned that I liked the way the oil in the coffee felt. I actually missed it in the shake. I've been going to try blending it in the coffee, but I keep forgetting it. I have gotten hooked on the Coffeemate French Vanilla so I know blending it would really be great.
I had to learn to cut my coffee drinking back down to no more than 3 a day because I was wanting the Fr. Vanilla taste so bad that I was probably drinking up to 5 or 6 c a day when we came back from our trip. Knowing I'm counting the calories really helps me to drink less coffee with the creamer.

Amazing experience again. I just ate what I wanted yesterday and had a lot more carbs than usual. Granted they were Fiber carbs. But I fried chicken legs for DH and me and we had cabbage and pork'n beans for lunch. I finished my dinner off with a serving of ice cream made with Splenda. I didn't eat again until I got really hungry last night around 7ish and I had turkey kalbalsa and 1 corn on the carb. I did drink plenty of water and my green/black tea combo. I wasn't sure what was going to happen when I weighed and tested. I was shocked this morning when my FBS was 124, my bp was down and my weight was down .2. A .2 weight loss isn't bad as that is how I seem to lose. So now I am beginning to wonder if maybe carbs are not my problem. Maybe for me it is the type and amount of carbs that I eat and I just need to learn to eat differently. Maybe the idea of the Prevention Diet plan I read years ago about controlling diabetes is the way for me. It says eating plenty of fiber is the key to controlling diabetes. Maybe that is why the Richard Simmons diet worked for me. I also believe that the counting calories to learn portion control is also key for me.

Carol Sue I found something interesting that you shared about the way of taking Metformin. I've been taking 1000 mg with my main meal at DH and my main meal. I do this because I seem to remember my doctor telling me to take it with my largest meal of the day which that one usually is. However, yesterday, I realized that I forgot to take it until my suppertime. That might be why my fbs was lower this morning. I will be trying it that way for a while to see.

I want to say again thanks to everyone for sharing you experiences. I think it really helps those of us whether we post or lurk. I know I sure learn a lot from y'all and from lurking on other sites and threads.

This is a great group here.

Shannonsnail 08-05-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5051823)
I feel really draggy today. I slept pretty good. I don't know what's up. Maybe it's just the humid weather. I wish DH would just leave the air condition on. It's cooler, but the air condition helps with the humidity. He's working in the yard right now. Maybe when he comes in he will be so hot he will turn it back on again. I don't touch it. He's in charge in that department.

Shannon, I guess I was thinking of just stirring it into your coffee. Now I understand about using the blender. I have a generic bullet system and I think I would use that. What kind of coffee/butter do you use? I was reading online about Bulletproof Coffee and they were using some special coffee beans and grass fed unsalted butter. I won't be buying special coffee or butter. I would just use the Maxwell House we use, and I buy regular salted butter, but I could try it with the coconut oil. How much do you use in how much coffee? Also, they said online that that was their breakfast. That's all? I would still want my eggs. I will probably try it but I don't see me doing it on a regular basis. What does it do other than giving you energy?

The french toast looks good.

Zinke, I always drank my coffee black I have recently been using flavored creamers. It all started when I heard about the International Delite Almond Joy creamers and tried them. I liked them and now keep them in the house. They are sold in the coffee aisle and don't need refrigeration. One time I couldn't find them so I bought a bottle of creamer from the dairy case. I really like them! I have tried several different flavors...Girl Scout Cookie flavor, Vanilla Caramel. Because of them I am now drinking too much coffee. I ran out of the bottled kind and am trying not to buy more. I would like to get down to 1 cup of coffee in the morning and that's it, but with the flavored creamers I was up to 6 - 8 cups per day. Waaay to much for me.

Yay for air conditioning!! It is horribly hot and humid here!

I do not buy special beans, just use my regular favorite, dunkin donuts. I do buy grass fed butter just for my coffee. The benefit is the vitamins, I consider it my multi vitamin, lol! I get it at Costco and they sell 3 large blocks for $7. Each block has 16 tbsp so a block lasts me about 32 days. (So, if 3 blocks lasted 96 days it would be 7 cents a day I think). I only drink one mug of coffee per day (on my coffee maker I fill the water to the line 2.5 which yields a totally full mug and a tiny bit that doesn't fit....that's after adding my heavy whipping cream, butter, coconut oil and sugar sub and blending it to frothy). On days I am very busy, that might be my only breakfast but time permitting I always have my omelet or something else in addition to the coffee. The main benefit to me is feeling fuller throughout the day and giving my body good fats to burn in place of the carbs.

dgramie 08-05-2014 02:34 PM

Fbs was 94 today. Carol sue I drink 1 mug of coffee a day. I am hooked on flavored creamers. Sugar free hazelnut is my favorite right now.

zinkemomx2 08-05-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy (Post 5051823)
Maybe when he comes in he will be so hot he will turn it back on again. I don't touch it. He's in charge in that department.

Are you in my house? My husband is the exact same way with the air conditioner and the furnace. No one touches them. If you are cold you cover up and if you are hot you go to the basement.

I only drink one cup a day of my coffee. I'll admit sometimes it is a large cup. I have one that is 16oz and one that is 24oz. I'll try the blender trick in the morning.

Ate dinner. Ate ice cream. Went for a short bike ride and a walk. Visited with the neighbor while drinking a wine cooler. Three hours later BS was 124. That sounds good. I think?

dgramie 08-06-2014 10:41 AM

Well school starts here tomorrow so I'm back to babysitting full time. Summer sure flew by. My weigh is down about 10 lbs from the first of June but I was hoping for more.
My squash plants are done for the yr and if we don't get rain tomatoes and peppers will be also. To be honest I think I'm ready for cooler weather. We really have had a mild summer but I'm ready to be outside with the kids for hours. Right now about an hour twice a day is all they can handle.
My oldest grandchild starts kindergarten tomorrow. I sure can't believe she is old enough. They grow up so fast!

Wannabehealthy 08-06-2014 11:01 AM

Zinke, I think the key is that you rode your bike and walked after eating. When I was having the real high bs readings I started walking for 15 min after dinner and that helped tremendously. Exercise is important for controlling blood sugar. I really have to push myself to do it until I get into the habit again.

Trish, I really think it was the humidity because after the air was on I felt so much more energetic. They always say that heat and humidity is bad for the elderly and with my heart disease, I am in that category whether I like it or not. Exercise always increases my energy and drops my appetite.
I don't exercise hard enough to get muscle soreness. LOL

Yesterday my fbs was 130. When I ate breakfast I took 1/2 a glimiperide to help get my bs down just a bit. I had eggs with mushrooms and lentils. I know the mushrooms and lentils are actually carbs, but I consider them veggies and consider things like bread, potatoes, and pasta as carbs. 2 hrs after breakfast my bs was 160. I didn't think it should have been that high so I took the other half of the glimiperide. I wasn't really hungry at lunch time but DH made hot dogs so I ate one with chopped onion and mustard, no bread or bun. I felt pretty good and wanted to eat a small baked potato for dinner with my grilled chicken and veggies so I checked my bs. It was at 67. I was not feeling any symptoms! So I think that the glimiperide does not work as fast for me as I thought, and I probably didn't need that second half pill. My breakfast and lunch are relatively carb free. Because the blood sugar was so low I did eat the baked potato and loved it! I made sure I ate half of the chicken before I ate the potato. At bedtime my bs was 97. I ate a celery stick with cream cheese and this morning I am back up to 130. Even with a low bs, a bedtime snack raises my fbs. I need to put a big sign on my refrigerator "A BEDTIME SNACK WILL RAISE YOUR FASTING BLOOD SUGAR." LOL If I wanted that celery and cream cheese I should have had it with my dinner. I think I buy too much food. I keep thinking I have to eat it all so it won't go bad.

Shannon, how much of everything do you put in your coffee before blending?

Dgramie, I have not tried the Hazelnut creamer yet. My husband has always put cream and sugar in his coffee but he tried the Hazelnut and said it was too sweet. He probably put too much in. I do not buy the sugar free, that's why I try not to have too much of it. Most of the flavors I like don't come sugar free. So far I have had 2 cups, but in my mug, they are more equal to a half cup each.

pattygirl63 08-06-2014 11:10 AM

A quick flyby this morning as I'm really running late. I couldn't sleep last night and didn't go to sleep until sometime after 3 am. DH has a blood test to check blood thinning now that he is back on the warfarin. We will go out to eat and also run some errands. And we start a new study series at Bible study tonight and I don't want to miss any of it.

Either the fiber and/or the taking Metformin in the evening is working. FBS was 124 yesterday and is 123 today. Carol Sue I never thought ob taking the Metformin in the evening. Thanks for the info. My problem is that I don't like the flatulence of the high fiber in my plan. Plus I don't like the stuffed feeling it leaves me with either. I think that is why I couldn't sleep. My belly felt so heavy/bloated. So I just may have to see if I might be able to tweak this. Perhaps the fat in the low carb actually does the same thing that the fiber does. I think maybe just adding beams in my plan would be helpful. This is truly a learning experience.

Had my eggs this morning with bacon and toast. I tried Shannon's frothy coffee. It was good, but I think if I drink it that I will not be eating fiber like my high fiber bread with it in the morning any more. I couldn't understand it when you said some have it by itself as a breakfast by itself, but now I can see how it would. The fat makes you feel full and satisfied. I also think adding it to the fiber makes me groggy, but then I haven't had a lot of sleep either. So I can't judge too much of anything this morning. However, I do think it would help me give up the bread in the morning.

So now I've come to the place to where... how I feel after eating is much more important to me than what I eat. So all is not lost here. Learning, learning, learning. I think moderate fiber may be important for me, but a high fiber is not.

Sorry, this turned out long than I expected. I'm always thinking things out with y'all. I better get going. I'll catch y'all tomorrow. Y'all have a great day.